when you call yourself a PROTESTANT, are you even aware of what you are protesting ?

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The Protestant reformation established the doctrine that the Word of God, a.k.a., the Bible, was infallible and that the teachings of people, especially those of the Catholic church, were not. By the time Martin Luther came along the church had become totally corrupt, doing such things as selling indulgences to shorten one's time in purgatory and, incidentally, to finance the building of St. Peter's basilica in Rome.

The reformation also established that people are 100% justified before God by faith; works has nothing to do with it.

Personally I think the term "Protestant" is derogatory and misleading. It was coined to refer to believers who protested the actions of the Catholic church. It makes as much sense as calling the Catholic church "catholic". 8) Neither one is applicable in the 21st. Century.

Reactions: psalms 91
Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
pretty straightforward question

what are Protestants NOT in agreement with ?:confused:

Mary worship. Idolatry. The denial of the priesthood of all believers. The Pope as the Vicar of Christ. Most of the 95 Theses have been answered, but these are still some major problems with the Church of Rome.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think that most of today's Baptists would call themselves Protestants.

I belong to a denominational church but we call ourselves evangelical prot.estants (no capitalization). It's no big deal IMHO.

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I use the word Protestant sometimes just to make it clear that I'm not Catholic. But here in Honduras, in the current vernacular, there are only two choices: Catholic or Christian (aka Evangelical). If you serve Jesus and are not a Catholic, you are a Christian (aka Evangelical). They don't care about doctrine, and most Hondurans don't give two thoughts to doctrine.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2013
✟19,178.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I don't call myself a protestant. There are plenty of non-Catholic Christians who are not connected to the Reformation movement. The Baptists did not break away from Catholicism and they were persecuted by Catholics and Protestants. There are many non-denominational churches that just sprang up independently.

Baptists broke away from the Church of England after it separated from the RCC, so yes, Baptists broke away from the Roman Catholic Church.

Also, historically the Bishop of Rome has been the Patriarch of the West; do you reject the historicity of the pentarchy?

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Protestant reformation established the doctrine that the Word of God, a.k.a., the Bible, was infallible and that the teachings of people, especially those of the Catholic church, were not. By the time Martin Luther came along the church had become totally corrupt, doing such things as selling indulgences to shorten one's time in purgatory and, incidentally, to finance the building of St. Peter's basilica in Rome.

The reformation also established that people are 100% justified before God by faith; works has nothing to do with it.

Personally I think the term "Protestant" is derogatory and misleading. It was coined to refer to believers who protested the actions of the Catholic church. It makes as much sense as calling the Catholic church "catholic". 8) Neither one is applicable in the 21st. Century.
that point is but one... weren't there 99 ?
and i agree .protestants are called that by rome .
and i agree with Talitha that some times we take use of the word to make clear distinction that we are not catholic.
but i am not church of england either or modern methodist modern anglican or modern lutheran with their allowance for sodomite ministers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
that point is but one... weren't there 99 ?
and i agree .protestants are called that by rome .
and i agree with Talitha that some times we take use of the word to make clear distinction that we are not catholic.
but i am not church of england either or modern methodist modern anglican or modern lutheran with their allowance for sodomite ministers.

Methodists do not allow homosexual clergy. Yet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Also, historically the Bishop of Rome has been the Patriarch of the West; do you reject the historicity of the pentarchy?

Historically, yes. But since the Reformation, it has not been true.

Since four of the five sees in the pentarchy are now controlled by muslims, I think that history itself has rejected the pentarchy.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2013
✟19,178.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Historically, yes. But since the Reformation, it has not been true.

So his authority just magically disappeared?

Since four of the five sees in the pentarchy are now controlled by muslims, I think that history itself has rejected the pentarchy.

I was under the impression that they were controlled by the Orthodox Churches.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So his authority just magically disappeared?

I was under the impression that they were controlled by the Orthodox Churches.

The Pope? Did he ever really have the divine authority granted to him by men? You can look at the reformation as a rebellion or you can see it as a real reformation. In my studies of early church history (100AD to 400AD), I can see where the church in Rome created power for itself, driving the house churches of the type found in Acts to either join or be found to be heretical. The Roman church became "The Church" through the secular power of Rome. Jesus never intended huge basilicas to be built as temples.

On the other hand, the Roman church with its power and influence and wealth was able to carry Christianity and civilization through the dark ages, so it was not without its purpose at a certain time and place.

But, by 1500, they purpose was no longer required and that centralized power had corrupted Western Christianity so thoroughly that, without the Reformation, who knows what Christianity would look like today.

Through all this, the Eastern Church was not insulated from Rome. It did diverge somewhat, but was guilty of many of the same crimes as the Roman church.

God gives us the church we need for the age. As the world slips into a new kind of dark age, we might need a new centralized church again. But we aren't there yet. Even in Revelation, we read the letters to the seven churches. Each has a distinctive personality. If there was supposed to be a single church, then there would have only been one letter.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Pope? Did he ever really have the divine authority granted to him by men? .....................snip..................

lol- the question is kind of funny..
of course he did does not have divine authority ,men cant give themselves or any one else divine authority.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
lol- the question is kind of funny..
of course he did does not have divine authority ,men cant give themselves or any one else divine authority.

It wasn't supposed to be funny. People are taught that the Pope is part of an unbroken and uncontested line that extends back to Peter and that Peter was the only apostle to form a church.

But the history of the first 500 years of the church tells a much different story. It is a story of politics, repression of competing ideas and churches, power, and wealth. The church as we know it was formed out of the ashes of the Roman Empire and the Reformation brought Christ out of that and into a place of prominence again.

Upvote 0

pyramid33

Mar 21, 2014
✟3,478.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It wasn't supposed to be funny. People are taught that the Pope is part of an unbroken and uncontested line that extends back to Peter and that Peter was the only apostle to form a church.

But the history of the first 500 years of the church tells a much different story. It is a story of politics, repression of competing ideas and churches, power, and wealth. The church as we know it was formed out of the ashes of the Roman Empire and the Reformation brought Christ out of that and into a place of prominence again.

It is true, Christ is actually the first Christian(Christ like, obviously) and all that believe in Him are Christians. I see no mention of baptist's, catholic's, protestant, methodist's, lutheran's, charismatic's, christ-seeker's, or any other religion for that matter being before Christ.

Christianity is Christ centered and no other man made establishment is worthy to be above Christ.

Upvote 0

bottomofsandal

Mar 10, 2012
America
✟11,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm suddenly thinking that the term protestant, is a degrading term.
That depends which side of the fence you are on...LOL :)

A good question might be: who does not like Protestants---

...and why ? To some, is Protestant used maliciously ?

Upvote 0