When science can explain an apple seed...

Setyoufree

Mar 2, 2013
Southern USA
✟5,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Have you ever cut open an apple seed? Inside it has an off white color. It's moist, but yet when placed in the soil that seed knows to grow an apple tree. How does it know?

When science can explain this, then, and only then, will I listen to their nonsense on evolution.

You see if they can't tell me how an apple seed works then they have a lot of audacity to tell me how I came into being....

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟864,468.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Ha. I asked a similar question here once. I think I got a link to an article about chemo-reception or some word like that. Still difficult to conceive of how some matter senses it is touching other matter. Maybe a philosophy topic? :)

But don't be too hard on science; just because it can't answer everything doesn't mean it can't answer anything.

Upvote 0
Have you ever cut open an apple seed? Inside it has an off white color. It's moist, but yet when placed in the soil that seed knows to grow an apple tree. How does it know?

When science can explain this, then, and only then, will I listen to their nonsense on evolution.

You see if they can't tell me how an apple seed works then they have a lot of audacity to tell me how I came into being....

How does a feline know to have kittens and not pups?

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟341,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

So you've studied the scientific understanding of plant developmental biology and found it lacking? Where, precisely, do you think scientific explanations are lacking?

Upvote 0
DON'T TEACH EVOLUTION AS A FACT TO 8-YEAR-OLDS

There are now just two months left to sign this petition on the Prime Minister's website, calling for evolution NOT to be taught as a fact to 8-year-olds (which is what the government proposes from next year). It's easy to sign:

epetitions DOT direct DOT gov DOT uk SLASH petitions SLASH 46027

Hmmm? What about other aged people? Why are 8 y.o. the target? This sounds really flakey to me, perhaps even a form of spamming threads, as this is not the only thread that you posted this to. Thanks :)

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So you've studied the scientific understanding of plant developmental biology and found it lacking? Where, precisely, do you think scientific explanations are lacking?

Correct me if I am wrong.

Once I asked something about DNA of plant to a biology colleague. She told me something like this (can't remember clearly): The DNA of plant is totally crazy. The DNA of a seed usually do not match the DNA of its plant.

Is this true? I really like to know. I think this might be the basic question of the OP.

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟341,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Correct me if I am wrong.

Once I asked something about DNA of plant to a biology colleague. She told me something like this (can't remember clearly): The DNA of plant is totally crazy. The DNA of a seed usually do not match the DNA of its plant.

Is this true? I really like to know. I think this might be the basic question of the OP.
No, that's not right. There are some differences between plants and animals (and other things) when it comes to DNA, but nothing like that is remotely true.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Setyoufree

Mar 2, 2013
Southern USA
✟5,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Where did DNA originate? Did it self-create?

Everything we see had to be designed. This laptop I'm on wasn't an accident. It took a lot of smart folks...a lot of average folks and then it became a laptop.

If you say "the universe" or "nature" created life as we know it then our universe is extremely intelligent. Evolution had to have a guiding architect. I'm not calling it a being...I just saying that things just don't happen randomly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟341,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, you answer my question. Put it in layman's terms.
You want me to teach you developmental biology? Well, if you're too lazy to read an article that's been handed to you, I'll give it a try. I charge $125 an hour. Let me know what kind of arrangements you'd like to make.

Upvote 0

Setyoufree

Mar 2, 2013
Southern USA
✟5,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You want me to teach you developmental biology? Well, if you're too lazy to read an article that's been handed to you, I'll give it a try. I charge $125 an hour. Let me know what kind of arrangements you'd like to make.

So for $125 you could answer my question....Funny, it always involves money...I guess you really don't know.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No, that's not right. There are some differences between plants and animals (and other things) when it comes to DNA, but nothing like that is remotely true.

OK, I will ask her again if I see her. Thanks.

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟341,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So for $125 you could answer my question....Funny, it always involves money...I guess you really don't know.
No, real questions from curious people I'm willing to answer. If you read some of what's written about seed germination and have questions, I'll be happy to answer them to the best of my ability. But if you're not willing to do even the slightest amount of work to find an answer, why should I do it for you? You may consider my time less valuable than yours, but I don't.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

How about what's said in this one? If what's said in this writing is true, then I can imagine that there are many other ways to treat the seed.

So, it seems I should say: The DNA of a plant can be easily modified from the DNA of its seed.

And, we can imagine a case that one apple tree has different DNA from another apple tree of the same species. Or some crazier things like: 5 Fuji apples may have 5 different DNA.

How does this sound?

Upvote 0
Hi and I could only agree but perhaps, I misunderstand what DNA is? I don't know that much about plant biology, etc., but it seems that it's much more deeper then DNA, alone; if we look at ourselves we see that all humans have a common DNA type that differs from a cat or dog, or any mammal. Within each 'species' of creature are a certain DNA type and though they differ from us they are unique creatures. Now, we must consider individualism in each one of the species and this is where the DNA plays a more detailed part in this factor, just like a snowflake is created randomly and each one is different, although they are all snowflakes.

I used to have a small garden and I experimented with grafting; and then there are other plants like vines that can be cloned by clippings but the thing that I learned is that there's a difference on how the plant will reproduce fruits from either seed or cloning/grafting methods. A seed will produce an individual plant with it's own DNA, and perhaps I am missing much on these details, and then a clipping that is planted into soil with the rooting-hormone will sprout it's own roots and be a clone of the mother plant or tree, and yet they are physically individual's.

This causes me to recall the seed of Abraham, and all lineage in the seed; each seed would produce an individual character in each of God's children so that each is an independent person.

My experience was that the cloned plant produced the identical fruit as the mother and the seeded plant or tree produced fruits that slightly differed, although they might be all apple trees in the experiment. I saw this chronicled on a TV documentary on apples and other fruits in certain regions. They said that each apple seed produces a tree that produces a slightly different apple if the seed is not genetically modified. They have GM'd their seeds so to produce more consistent apples in the orchards with simpler seeding methods.

It's a complex system, it appears and like I suppose, I'm leaving out a lot that I don't know about the actual science. Thanks :)

Oh ya, I can't forget to mention that I believe in intelligent design and a creator of all things that are not man made.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Setyoufree

Mar 2, 2013
Southern USA
✟5,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, real questions from curious people I'm willing to answer. If you read some of what's written about seed germination and have questions, I'll be happy to answer them to the best of my ability. But if you're not willing to do even the slightest amount of work to find an answer, why should I do it for you? You may consider my time less valuable than yours, but I don't.

If you are so intelligent then perhaps you could create an apple seed and program it to make an apple tree.

While science is important some scientist think because they understand some things they know it all. That's my problem with so called science. They discount a need for a creator.

Upvote 0