May 6, 2005
The Narrow Road
Visit site
✟20,518.00
Faith
Calvinist
Politics
US-Republican
Sally sat in the kitchen corner, grief ridden.
She was 26, but her parrents had died when she was about 9. Her older brother, only 5 years younger then her, had to watch her, as they both refused going into the protection of another guardian or orphenage. She hadn't really understood what had happened back then, but to her, her brother was her protecter. Her shining star. Her body guard and best friend.
And now he was gone.
A message on the answering machine played over and over again in her mind. WE ARE SORRY TO REPORT THIS TO YOU, MAM, BUT YOUR BROTHER DIED IN A SUICIDE BOMBING IN SERVICE. AGAIN, WE ARE VERY SORRY. Is that all they have to say. 'We are sorry'? What am I going to do. Jeremy! Life couldn't seem to continue without Jeremy. Her brother was the one who had helped her through her toughest time. All her family had died before she could either remember or become interested in family. All of them had been zelots, even her brother, always saying theres some one creater and a guardian angel for everyone. Where was her's? Where was their's when they were in trouble? How could they hold on to such old, vague poems that suposedly opened their eyes to the world.
She didn't know what to do. All she could think of was sleep, so she ran into her bedroom and jumped on the bed. She couldn't think of anything else. What else was there to do?
She wept for hours on end, untill she finally woke up the next afternoon. I've litteraly slept a whole day away. she told herself. But what could she do. She had a job, but it was Sunday.
Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. "COME IN!" she yelled. The door raddled. Great. She had locked it. Knocking came from it again. "Hold on!" she yelled. She ran to it, and opened it to see a man, about her age, in an Army Uniform. "Yes." she asked, not really paying attention to him.
"I'm sorry, mam. Is this the home of a Sally Barring." he asked.
"Um... yes, what is it?"
"Well, um, I was wondering if you got the news yet?" he inquired.
"Yes, I did, and if you think that if saying sorry---"
"I know. That was me on the phone." said the man, cutting her off before she blew up on him. "I can never really tell anyone anything over the phone. Thats why I'm here. I served with your brother. He was a fine man. I was with him when the explosion happened. But... I came to tell you that we were proud to have him."
Sally was comforted very little, but still some, by the man's words. "Thank you. He was great."
"He was." he replied. There was an odd silence, and then the man spoke up. "I was wondering. I mean, I know that it won't change anything, but maybe I could show you a good night to get your spirits up. Theres a Cafe` on fifty-seventh that I know about that has a good dinner menu` for Sunday, then theres a concert in town that you might like."
Sally looked at the man in the eyes. "You know, I have.... You know what? I have nothing to do, so I'll take you up on that offer."
The man lightened up. "Cool. So, pick you up at 7:00?"
"I'd like that."

7:00

Sally got ready in a red dress made of silk and linen that her Grandmother had given her mother, who left it to her when she died. She wore it everywhere and anywhere that required 'dressing up for the suits' as her brother called it.
She waited at the door, anxcious for the arival of this strange man who had served with her brother.
Suddenly, a white Grand Cherickee parked in her drive way. She had to stop herself from bursting through the door and running into the car, though she did not know why.

7:20

Sally and the man with her sat at a table at the Ceriokee Cafe` (and yes, I know its not spelt that way). It was an odd feeling, as there was a long silence after they ordered Angus Stake with A1(TM) for the two of them. Finally, Sally broke the silence. "You know, I find it odd that I'm going out on the town with a guy who I met today, who served with my brother, and who I don't even know the name of, yet I'm sitting here, eating stake with them at a Karaoke Cafe`."
"I guess it is odd, isn't it?" he replied. "Well, I'm Jacob." he said, holding his hand over the table for her to shake.
She did, firmly. "Well, Jake, I'm Sally Barring." she answered.
Suddenly, on the stage stood a waiter with a black apron, hooking up a microphone to a Karaoke Machine, and said, "Hello? Everyone listening?" Everyone in the Cafe`, which was only 4 other people, looked up, along with the staff. "Its time for the Karaoke to start. 7:25. Anyone want to start?" A pugy cook waved her hand out of the window to the kitchen. "No, Ms. Haras, you can't start this time. Not after your reaction last time."
"I wouldn't have cherry bombed the wimp if he hadn't thrown the tomato!" she retorted.
"You still destroyed props, a chair, a table, a glass swan, and sent him home in a body cast! Anyone else!" No one seemed that volunteer. "Hay, people! I've worked here for 7 years, since it was started! I was the one who painted the name in the front! You know what that tells me!"
"That you can't spell for beans!" yelled a redheaded lady in the audience.
"No! That was my father's falt. It tells me that this place was ment for Karaoke, no matter what grade my father got in LA/SS!"
"Lets sing!" said Jacob.
"What?!" Sally said suprised.
"Ya! Come on!" Jacob pushed.
"But... AW!" Jacob had grabbed her arm and started pulling him onto the stage. "Turn it up loud, captain!" Jacob yelled. Jacob started singing, and Sally eased her way in:
Lights go down
It's dark
The jungle is your head
Can't rule your heart
I'm feeling so much stronger
Than I thought
Your eyes are wide
And though your soul
it can't be bought
your mind can wander

Hello, Hello
Hola! [Spanish for Hello]
I'm at a place called vertigo (D�� est᳿) [Where are you?]
It's everything I wish I didn't know
Except you give me something I can feel
Feel

The night is full of holes
Those bullets rip the sky
Of ink with gold
They twinkle as the boys play rock and roll
They know that they can't dance
At least they know

I can't stand the beat
I'm askin' for the cheque
Girl with crimson nails
Has Jesus 'round the neck
Swinging to the music
Swinging to the music
Woooao

Hello, Hello
Hola!
I'm at a place called Vertigo (D�� est᳿) [Where are you?]
It's everything I wish I didn't know
But you give me something I can feel
Feel

All this, all this can be yours
All of this, all of this can be yours
All this, all of this can be yours
Just give me what I want
And no one gets hurt

Hello, Hello
Hola!
I'm at a place called Vertigo
Lights go down and all I know
Is that you give me something I can feel
You're teaching me ...aaahhh
Your love is teaching me ...aaaah
How to kneel
Kneel

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah...
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah!

The two kicked on last time at the end of the song, and Sally accidently tripped over a cord, and fell off the stage, Jacob fallowing. The two got up, laughing their heads up. They looked at the audience. They had drawn quite a crowd. The place was packed.
"Swarming to hear me sing, I see!" said the pudgy cook.
"No! Back to the kitchen, Ms. Haras! Lets give a cheer for the best karaoke singers we've had in a long time!" Everyone, even the grumpy cook, clapped to the two singers.

8:00

Sally and Jacob sat in the car after forging their way through the crowd and being forced to sing All Star before they left. Finally, Ms. Haras was able to get a chance sing, which was why they left.
"Thank you for the night! Its been great." Sally said.
"Well, its not over yet." Jacob replied.
"Wasn't that the concert you were talking about?" she asked.
"Nope. We have a service concert going on, warriors and their dates."
"Dates." Sally said in a false inquisitive voice.
"Well, if you want to call it that." Jacob said.
"I like that." Sally said. Jacob smiled, then put the automatic in drive, getting out of the parking lot and going towards the edge of town.
When the two arived at their destination, they got out, but Sally knew that it wasn't anywhere near the fort that her brother had stayed at on the other side of town. Instead, they were next to a small building with an odd replica bell in a small tower. "Where are we?" she asked.
"You'll see." Jacob led her through the front door and past an empty room and into a long hallway. At the end was a room the size of... of a large church service room.
"What is this?" she asked. There were rows and rows of fold up chairs, with families clumped together in some areas and not ocupied areas in other places. A desk had been put on a stage in the front of the room, where a man in normal cloths held a leather covered book with a read bookmark attached. Behind him, several guys and one girl had set up instruments and speekers.
The two of them sat down in the corner, watching the others. Sally didn't know what to think. And she didn't have time to, because the man infront of the room started a speach.
"Haylo, peoples!" he said in a loud voice. The guy couldn't have been more then 30. "Most of you may know me as the inergetic paster from town. The other part of you may know me as the inergetic paster who gets on other peoples nerves when he's not preaching. Right now, I'm going to tell you one thing: If you thought you were going to get rid of me and my jokes while at church, its not going to happen. You have to deal with my comidy anyways.
"But thats not why we're here. Today, where here to share the word with those who may have lost some one close to you recently. Friends, family. In this case," he said, pointing to a golden lab that they hadn't noticed in the corner who was laying next to Sally, "master. Not the young guy with the odd chin." Sally laughed. "Or the lady next to him in that ugly dress." Sally frowned, but Jacob got to laugh. "But the little guy with the flees making a home of his fur. This guy was owned by a soldier fighting over in Iraq. His master left, and when his wife found out that he died, she wanted to leave everything that reminded her of her spouse behind. And this dog was amoung them.
"But we all fight our own battles in life. Our own spiritual battles. Whether its a struggle with a family member or trying to find faith, theres a struggle, a conflict, there somewhere. Which is why we're here. We gather here today to 'vent'." When he said the word, he flexed two fingers on both hands. "To tell whats troubling us, and to help us get through. And after that, we have a special treat. The Narrow Road, who is going to China in a week, has come to play one last concert before they go on their own little musical missionary."
"Ya!" said a red-headed musician in the back, holding a guitar that said, "I'm Hyper For The Lord".
"So, who want to go first?" asked the pastor. No one raised their hands. Finally, after a 'momment of silence', Sally rose her hand. Might as well be the first at both tonight. she thought. "Yes? And what might your name be?" asked the paster.
"Sally Barrings." she replied.
"Nice to meet you, Sally Barrings. What brings you here tonight."
Sally looked at Jacob. "This guy brings me here. He embarased me singing Vertigo earlier. But no. I haven't lost him, yet." Jacob smirked. "Well, you see, my brother..." Sally explained the night, and why it had happened, which only took about 10 minutes. After her, she heard stories about how loved ones had died in car recks or in war, or other things. One man fell of the edge of a building while constructing the new 8 story library. Sally was moved to tears as she listened to the stories, and how remarkably similar their tales were.
When everyone told their story, Sally and a few others were weeping their eyes out. Sally leaned her head on Jacob's sholder. Then, after they all pulled themselves together, the paster stepped forwards.
"You have heard the stories. And I have. And do you know what I see? I see work. I see love. I see compassion. I see what comes from our Lord, God. He has helped you come here to express yourself and tell us, and doing so, find an outlet to help us through our lives. Who here found that there were similarities in the stories?" Sally, and several others raised their hands. "Which proves my point. Lets pray:
Dear Lord,
Please help us through our time of need. Many have lost loved ones to war, or accidents, but we know that they are all with you, and we thank you for giving them that choice, and that they chose the right one. God, please bless us down to the dog in the corner over here and bring those that have strayed to you, and help us through our life and love everyone.
We ask this in Jesus name,
Amen.
Now, lets get this started. We all walk the Narrow Road." the Paster finished.
"Thanks!" said the red-headed one from earlier. "I'm Miles, this is Mason, thats Kody, thats Cam, this guy is Drew, and the gal Cam has had a crush on since 4th grade is Gabriel."
"No I haven't!" said Cameron.
"Sure, you just keep telling yourself that. Anyways, we thank you for welcoming us, and we want you to know, your singing is apriciated. I mean, have you heard Drew's vocals?"
"Hay! I thought we were suposed to be musicians, not thrashers." Drew retorted.
"Your right. So lets get down to music, shall we?"
With that, the band started into a smooth song, and Gabriel came up, singing: