When does the Holy Ghost enter into someone?

TaylorSexton

1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith
Jan 16, 2014
Mundelein, IL
Visit site
✟35,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
If a person can only have faith because of God's grace, then everyone who has faith received it as a gift from God.

A person can only have saving faith because of God's grace.

Upvote 0

TaylorSexton

1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith
Jan 16, 2014
Mundelein, IL
Visit site
✟35,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
If God never revealed himself to anyone, then no one would have faith, correct? If so, that means all faith, even dead faith, is a gift from God.

No, that's terrible logic and theology. Saving faith does not come from revelation, but from grace, otherwise all would be saved. Dead faith comes from a wicked heart and nothing else.

Upvote 0

Razare

God gave me a throne
Nov 20, 2014
✟10,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Before baptism when you first believe? Acts 10:44-48

During baptism? Acts 2:38-41

After baptism and a believer praying and laying their hand on you? Acts 8:15-17, Acts 19:2-6

John 20:22 is when it happens. It's the first instance of the New Covenant Holy Ghost entering the disciples. It happens before doubting Thomas demands to physically see Jesus.

But they were able to receive it because they had previously learned Christ was raised from the dead, and he was the Lord. Chronological Bible helps in understanding this. http://www.wogim.org/chr4gos.htm

They received the Holy Spirit soon after believing in the resurrection when it became time for it to first be given in John 20:22.

So you get the Holy Ghost, when you believe upon Christ in your heart and make him Lord.

After you get the Holy Ghost inside you like John 20:22 states, you can then get baptized in the Holy Ghost, like in Acts 2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

After baptism and a believer praying and laying their hand on you? Acts 8:15-17, Acts 19:2-6

In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise. Eph. 1:13

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Veritas238

Nov 5, 2015
✟15,559.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I have personally witnessed people get the Holy Ghost in all three scenarios. For me, it was after baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins. But, I think the scriptural answer to the question is whenever God says you are ready for the Holy Ghost, since it is a Gift from Him. He knows our hearts, our repentance, our motives and intentions.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes. I also was thinking that the answer is 'all three' of the ways mentioned in the OP.

For most people, then, it would be when they're baptized as infants; but it could be one of the other times, depending on circumstances. In the New Testament, when almost no one was a follower of Christ at first, naturally most of the people who converted to the Lord were already adults, but today it's a different situation in most countries.

Upvote 0