Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am well aware of this. As long as Christians subscribed to Arabism (like Tariq Aziz, nee Mikhael Yukhanna), the Baath party was not a bad option.

This too.

Who's talking about the Iraq war but you? Where in the post you're apparently responding to did I talk about the Iraq war?

In case you haven't noticed, Islamic hostility toward non-Muslims for being non-Muslims didn't start under Bush II, or Bush I, or any other modern, western leader. This is a tired non-argument used to avoid talking about the real issues.

And everyone is my brother unless they decide otherwise. Islam has decided otherwise for the most conservative Muslims by stating that Muslims cannot take non-Muslims as friends/protectors (whichever translation of wali you like), and declaring us dirty, and saying that we should be brought under the submission of Islam, and all this other stuff. Believe me, no one would rather be friends with the Muslim majority than Middle Eastern minorities like Christians, Yazidis, etc. Islam itself stands in the way of that.

it is the height of intellectual poverty, dishonesty, or cowardice to take legitimate criticism of a religion borne out of centuries of lived experience with that religion and claim it is hatred of people. I cannot speak for Western Christians, but no one in my Church hates Muslims despite ample reason to, if we wanted to go that route. But that's not what this is about at all. The individual Muslim may be as good or as bad as anyone, but the religion itself is not a person. It does not deserve the respect that it demands and does not even pretend to give to other religions. No one needs to love a religion that demands that you follow its laws, mores, and restrictions even when you are not a part of it, nor would it make sense to make sure a religion the litmus test of whether or not they're following their own religion. Islam has brought nothing good to the world. To paraphrase Hassan Ibrahim of the film Control Room (not for the first time): Islam can beat everyone -- I agree; it can kill everyone -- I agree...but don't expect us to like it!

Again, why should I like Islam? Not why should I love Muslims, not why should I treat Muslims with respect...why should I like Islam when it is so incredibly horrible?
Oops, sorry. I misunderstood your question; I thought yours was another rant against Muslims. There have been so many lately.

Why should you like Islam? The best of Islam is akin to Christianity and preaches faithfulness to God & charity to man, it advocates a spiritual life of prayer, devotion to family and asceticism. The worst is horrific. Islam is not and never will be Christianity and for that reason alone is apostasy for you - therefore giving you no reason to like it.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
your being pedantic here, I know that, you know that, but when people are protesting and yelling, "No muslims here!!!." that they would probably be pointing at the stereotypical arab looking muslim." they don't see shades of grey and thats what were talking about here. when they say no muslims, they arn't looking for asians that are muslim and saying get out, they wouldn't even think of them as muslim.
I think there are more Bangladeshi and Indonesian Muslims put together than "stereotypical arab looking muslim[ s] ." Linguistically and culturally, they are not Arabic. They have to pray in Arabic like Catholics used to have to pray in Latin. Unfortunately, the Wahabis have stepped up and provided madrasas to teach the masses of impoverished Muslims who would otherwise get no education at all their extremist form of Islam. When rich first world countries ask why they should bother spending money on food and education for third world nations, this is why (one selfish reason why).

When people are protesting and yelling, "No Muslims here!!!" I don't think they really care what they look like as long as the look "other". Syrians, the new boogiemen, come from an international crossroads of trade for so long, so they look very mixed, much like Americans.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

classicalhero

Jun 9, 2013
Perth,Western Australia
✟11,338.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
yes islam isn't a race, but we know what most people mean when they say muslim, they are thinking arabic looking people. And there is a tendecy to equate the two together, especially in those that get called racists.
Do you realise that Arabs are the highest Muslims according to Islam?

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Common ignorance near universaly accepted, & barely tolerated by us.
There is one race, and it is more or less human.
More or less human? LOL.........

https://www.blueletterbible.org/search/search.cfm?Criteria=human+race&t=NIV#s=s_primary_0_1

Gen 6:
5 The LORD saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time.
7 So the LORD said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them.”

images
images

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
(Have not read the whole thread.) The issue is that people confuse their terminology.

The concept of race is based on classifying the physical characteristics of others. The concept of ethnicity is based around a shared nationality or culture. People of the same race can be of entirely different ethnicities. Race is societally ascribed to people. One can't choose their race. Ethnicity can be chosen, on the other hand.

I think a great many people confuse ethnocentrism with racism and they are not the same thing. An ethnic bias implies ethnocentrism. It cannot be determined that a bias is racially motivated unless you can account for that specifically.

Reactions: dzheremi
Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
More or less human? LOL.........

https://www.blueletterbible.org/search/search.cfm?Criteria=human+race&t=NIV#s=s_primary_0_1

Gen 6:
5 The LORD saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time.
7 So the LORD said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them.”

images
images

I didn't want to compLETEly exclude you and I, sarge.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
(Have not read the whole thread.) The issue is that people confuse their terminology.

The concept of race is based on classifying the physical characteristics of others. The concept of ethnicity is based around a shared nationality or culture. People of the same race can be of entirely different ethnicities. Race is societally ascribed to people. One can't choose their race. Ethnicity can be chosen, on the other hand.

I think a great many people confuse ethnocentrism with racism and they are not the same thing. An ethnic bias implies ethnocentrism. It cannot be determined that a bias is racially motivated unless you can account for that specifically.
Well, I guess I was one of the confused.
I thought race meant the same as species, but I guess it can mean sub-species, now that I looked it up.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The concept of race is based on classifying the physical characteristics of others.

Not exactly. That would be mere taxonomy. The concept of "race" goes the further step of assigning personality and intelligence traits to physical characteristics.

Upvote 0