When did Islam become a "race?"

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
SPOTSYLVANIA, Va. (WUSA9) -- Fear and hatred of Muslims was on public display in Spotsylvania County at a meeting concerning the building of a new mosque.

At least two men went on racist rants, shouting down the speaker and calling all Muslims terrorists.

The local Islamic community has outgrown the building and is proposing to build a mosque nearby on property they own. But at Tuesday night's presentations, things turned ugly fast.

http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/loc...-closes-spotsylvania-public-meeting/76027308/

There are muslims of almost every race on earth. I do not understand this reporter's use of the term.

Can anyone there help me understand it?

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Islam never became a race.

What happened was that the term racism has been broadened to refer to prejudice against peoples based not only on their ancestry, but also on their religion.

As an example, if I walked around wearing a t-shirt stating 'I hate Buddhists', then people would call me a racist. Clearly, Buddhists aren't a race, but the term now covers prejudice against them.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

AHH who-stole-my-name

in accordance with Christ
Jul 29, 2011
✟27,817.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
This doesn't surprise me. Those who are the most proud of their ignorance have always done their best to align themselves with the forces of fear

This is what ISIS wants. They want us to turn on Muslims so they can gain more followers here, because of the way we treat them in response to what others do, They are getting it willingly and with glee from people like that mouthpiece.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, the meaning was indeed clear.

I am arguing against this misuse of the English language. Bias against a religion is NOT racism.

Find a better term.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Xenophobic would be more accurate.
That is too broad a term; and besides, this is not a FEAR; (--phobic) but a hatred. Big difference.

Not that the person is not afraid of Muslims; but it was not fear he was showing.

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I am arguing against this misuse of the English language. Bias against a religion is NOT racism.

Find a better term.
Hey, I'm of the "language is a rapier, not a bludgeon" school. Both my parents are published academics. You better believe I agree with what you're saying.

But... I hope you also acknowledge that there are quite a few people out there who seem to think that if someone calls them "racist" against Muslims, the fact that it's not technically racism, somehow means the criticism for being bigoted is invalid. The semantics of the statement is a problem, yes. But it's probably not really the most pressing problem in the context, you see?

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That is too broad a term; and besides, this is not a FEAR; (--phobic) but a hatred. Big difference.

Not that the person is not afraid of Muslims; but it was not fear he was showing.
Fear often expresses itself as outward anger.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Besides, there is an easy way to stop a mosque. Just bury a dead pig on the property.
Off topic, but does anyone know if that would actually stop them from building a Mosque?

Also, let's not start saying things that look like we're trying to stop people from legally doing what they want with their own land.

Upvote 0

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour

Find a better term.
The meaning of words changes over time. Always has. For example, Liberalism

Upvote 0

AHH who-stole-my-name

Jul 29, 2011
✟27,817.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Find a better term.

All these ISMs have a common core of unacceptability towards that which is unfamiliar.
Having separate labels is simply placing one's understanding on an issue so as to catalog it in the mind. Racism, Sexism, ect comes from the same source and that is fear being fed by ignorance.

Those who don't stand up to these people are the real culprits, since inaction when most needed rewards the darkness more than the light and believe me, that mouthpiece is totally in the dark.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AHH who-stole-my-name

Jul 29, 2011
✟27,817.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,621.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Xenophobic would be more accurate. As would bigoted. Either way, let's not play semantics and pretend the reporter' underlying meaning was unclear.

"Bigoted" is the best umbrella term. A person can be bigoted for a number of reasons.

And, yes, we know what they meant.

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I take it you mean the new Star Wars movie. You know the franchise is about 40 years old. I bet the stench of Ben Gay was overpowering on that set.^_^ ROTFLMBO.

I'm going to see it. I saw the original 7 times.

You can call me a geek, If you like.
I've been at the midnight screening of the last 3. You may call me a geek, too.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
the fact that it's not technically racism, somehow means the criticism for being bigoted is invalid.
And where do they get THAT idea?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Off topic, but does anyone know if that would actually stop them from building a Mosque?
I have heard a quote from the Koran saying that it is unacceptable to build a mosque on land that has been polluted by pig blood or where a dead pig is buried.

Upvote 0