What's your opinions on anointing people with "special" oil?

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

I had a Christian woman come over after my wife's stroke, and having seziures, and she prayed over her/with her, and had "special" anointing oil, that she said was from Jerusalem or something, anyways she put a drop on her finger and ran it across my woman's forehead and her cheek and chin...

I don't know how I felt about it, I guess the danger in is it becoming a medium, giving glory to the thing and believing in the thing rather than the one who grant's power to such a thing, believing that "Oh, it had to be the special oil from Jerusalem, that enabled the power being the anointing, rather than the one who anointed...

We know from the Bible that one no longer has to go to a special place in order to have God be with them, Today, we are the temple of God, in our bodies, so wherever that body is, there is where we worship and see our God in the temple of our bodies, no special place we need to go to our to have a special something from, in order to feel more holy, or feel God' presence...

What do you think would God be behind such an action or not?

What's your opinions on a Christian anointing people with "special" oil?

God Bless!

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't buy into the "special" stuff from Jerusalem: the Galilee second baptisms, oils, water, ashes, etc. It does reek of idolatry to me.

But, what if "she" (my wife) believed that it would work (would her faith have made her well)?

Would God ever be behind such an action, maybe say in a special case, or in any case, or not?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Or what about using anointing oil, and then try to cast out demons, or saying, we come against the spirit of fear, and we come against the spirit behind those seziures, Or we come against these seziures, in Jesus name... and perhaps the laying on of hands while doing this

What about people like that?

God Bless!

Upvote 0
Nov 16, 2014
California
✟9,706.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I had a Christian woman come over after my wife's stroke, and having seziures, and she prayed over her/with her, and had "special" anointing oil, that she said was from Jerusalem or something, anyways she put a drop on her finger and ran it across my woman's forehead and her cheek and chin...

I don't know how I felt about it, I guess the danger in is it becoming a medium, giving glory to the thing and believing in the thing rather than the one who grant's power to such a thing, believing that "Oh, it had to be the special oil from Jerusalem, that enabled the power being the anointing, rather than the one who anointed...

We know from the Bible that one no longer has to go to a special place in order to have God be with them, Today, we are the temple of God, in our bodies, so wherever that body is, there is where we worship and see our God in the temple of our bodies, no special place we need to go to our to have a special something from, in order to feel more holy, or feel God' presence...

What do you think would God be behind such an action or not?

What's your opinions on a Christian anointing people with "special" oil?

God Bless!

Psychological blessing but could be more, all in all its love and it is intended to leave an imprint on your heart to ease your soul love your spirit

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
"Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord." - James 5:14

Whether it's from Jerusalem or the local grocery store, anointing with oil and praying for the sick is fine to do.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,617.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hope your wife is doing better. My mom had a stroke a couple of years ago so I'm familiar with what that can mean.

As far as the anointing oil, I've viewed it as something tangible and representative. Just like "Now God worked unusual miracles by the hands of Paul, so that even handkerchiefs or aprons were brought from his body to the sick, and the diseases left them and the evil spirits went out of them." Acts 19:11-12 Or when the woman with the issue of blood touched Yeshua's garment and was healed. Also, Mark 6 "And they went out, and preached that men should repent. 13 And they cast out many devils, and anointed with oil many that were sick, and healed them."

Moses followed Yahweh's instructions and made a "holy anointing oil" that was used to anoint everything in the tabernacle. To "sanctify them, that they may be most holy." That made the ark and its contents, tables and their vessels, and candles holy. Plus it was forbidden to use that exact recipe or formula for anything else. Exo 30

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For harmony is as precious as the anointing oil that was poured over Aaron's head, that ran down his beard and onto the border of his robe.

The modern word annoint is to smear..but the biblical term was to pour over the head in a rather generous manner.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But, what if "she" (my wife) believed that it would work (would her faith have made her well)?

Would God ever be behind such an action, maybe say in a special case, or in any case, or not?

God Bless!

Jesus used mud and spit to cure blindness. I say that the sick or injured or disabled or dying should be permitted to believe whatever they need to believe. The caregiver should be the one to remember the real source of the healing. Later on, after the crisis is past, the caregiver can remind the patient that the special oil was just oil but God was still God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
yahushua and his disciples and the ekklesia never never layed hands on a person to drive out a demon, never. to heal, yes. to pass on an anointing or authority from yhvh's directions in ekklesia, yes. but to drive out a demon or for a demon possessed or oppressed or other , no, never.

the healing of various troubles is very easy compared to how everyone makes out, 95% of the time, but
all the rules have to be followed whether here or somewhere else.

as yahushua says, seek and keep on seeking, and you shall find. his word, better than anything men can say.

Or what about using anointing oil, and then try to cast out demons, or saying, we come against the spirit of fear, and we come against the spirit behind those seziures, Or we come against these seziures, in Jesus name... and perhaps the laying on of hands while doing this.
What about people like that?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

sunshineforJesus

is so in love with God
Feb 19, 2014
Sterling Ct
✟716,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
"Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord." - James 5:14

Whether it's from Jerusalem or the local grocery store, anointing with oil and praying for the sick is fine to do.

agreed totally.

Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2014
✟8,110.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Holy oil, holy water, blessed crucifixes, etc., sounds pretty Catholic to me. Maybe "Catholic" minsters to our instinct when it comes to God, with their architecture, pageantry,and ritual to create a focal point for faith, but it's not necessary when God is in you. It's one of those things all believers encounter in their faith walk, which we should pass through rather than take up residence.

When God first begins leading someone, he will work with whatever they have, and meet them wherever they are. He handles their faith gently, often giving signs he is with them. But it's not for them to walk by sight, but that by faith they should walk by the light of his word.

I believe in being anointed by God more than man. When people were anointed with oil in the Old Testament it was for God's calling and purpose. The disciples also anointed those who became Christ's with oil, but the miracles they did were by the power Jesus gave them.

James said in regards to anointing the sick with oil, that the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up. Save the sick and heal the sick are two different things.

I understand the need in a crisis for God's power, but trusting material things as a conduit to his power, or a conduit for faith, is not something I believe he would encourage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

phydaux

Oct 22, 2014
Hudson, NH
✟14,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

This. I use olive oil, the same stuff I put in my spaghetti sauce (and I tell you what, that's the best olive oil the Food Mart has to offer). I do it as an act of obedience to the Word. I have no biblical reason to NOT use Canola, or 10W40 for that matter. Olive oil just "feels right."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

psalms 91

Legend
Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Of course it is all God but it is His word that tells us to annoint. I was at a campground where they held revival meetings and this one I was in the preacher had a pan of oil and he dipped both his hands in it and prayed for people and I saw some mighty things out of that. Was it the oil, no. But it sure made people raise their faith level

Upvote 0

ron4shua

" ... each in our own order " , Hallelu-YAH .
Aug 3, 2014
Sacramento valley
Visit site
✟12,507.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Greetings fellow Saints , I believe WHATEVER covers anointing or not anointing with oil . As some have said “Have belief in Elohim" is the key to any healing , help or deliverance . Some believing folks are reinforced by Scripture fulfilling , others don't need anything but YAHshua /Jesus .

Mar 11:22 And יהושע answering, said to them, “Have belief in Elohim.
Mar 11:23 “For truly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be removed and be thrown into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says, shall be done, he shall have whatever he says.
Mar 11:24 “Because of this I say to you, whatever you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you shall have them. (ISR)

Blessings & pass the oil , the servant ron .

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i think we are all missing it ...

im going to openly admit.. I don't comprehend the principle of anointing with oil.
but we are told to do so in specific scenarios.
so there is something about it that is important which we don't get yet.

i also do not know where smearing came from as the old testament depicts it clearly as being poured over the head .

im going to specifically pray and look into his word and ask the lord to give me understanding .

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
right. a long time ago, all the disciples were Jewish (before gentiles were grafted in),
and they all understood anointing then.

later, the gentile governments banished the disciples, and took over the controls, and instituted their own way of doing things not found in scripture.

now, to find the truth, guess where one has to look ? (no, don't guess... read it and ask the Author! (of the Bible) ... shocking revelation follows)

Upvote 0