What's your Messianic Judaism affiliation?

Messianic Jewboy

Senior Veteran
Dec 17, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
✟12,170.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi I'm a member of an MJAA organization. For the most part MJAA doesn't have a stance on non Jews and Torah like the UMJC although I would say MJAA is pretty much in line with UMJC stances such as papers and conferences pertaining to non Jews and Torah. The MJAA and UMJC I would say take a divine invitation approach.

I was talking to a UMJC Rabbi of a Southern California congregation and wanted to know more what the UMJC stance is since they are more public about it.

Me: what is UMJC stance on Torah for non Jews? Am I right to say that there isn't equal obligation?

Rabbi: "You are correct in your understanding of the main UMJC position on Torah and non-Jews. We are obviously all equal before God through Yeshua but there clearly seems to be different obligations...cf. brit milah, tzitzit, shabbat just to name three. Of course there are some differences between the UMJC and MJAA in some of these things, although we are all united in the most important issues. "

Me: how does your congregation specifically handle non Jewish wearing tzizit as an example?

Rabbi: "We discourage it because it is a sign of the Jewish covenant (Num.15). Confusing if non-Jews wear it. We do have some non-Jews who are married to Jews or who have gone through our long confirmation process, who are approved to wear a tallit. We don't have conversion but they clearly stand with Israel for a long time. It is a case by case decision of the Elders."

The above gives you a jist of the positions of UMJC and MJAA.

I've also talked to leadership at CTMOC and their view seems to be somewhat different. They distinguish if you're a Rabbi(Jewish) or Messianic Minister(non Jewish). There view seems to be towards One Law but in the middle.

As an example if you're part of a UMJC congregation do you agree with the basic premise? Or you don't and then come to this forum to express your premise even through it's not in line with your UMJC or the like congregation.

So what do you attend and do you agree with their SoP's and if not are you coming here and expressing against the congregations views etc?

Reactions: anna ~ grace

Shimshon

Oct 5, 2004
Zion
✟107,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I've been a member of the MJAA and the UMJC. Both main congregations I attended and/or participated in the last 12 yrs fell into these catagories. Today I support and identify with the AMC established over 10yrs ago.

Association of Messianic Congregations

Our Purpose:
"The Association of Messianic Congregations exists to strengthen Messianic Congregations by providing resources, teaching and fellowship that promote Biblical values, proclaims personal faith in Yeshua as the one Atonement for all humanity, and encourages worship through the diversity of Jewish expressions of faith."

The Believer and the Law of Moses
We believe the Law of Moses as a rule of life has been fulfilled in the Messiah and therefore believers are no longer under its' obligation or condemnation. While the Law of Moses is no longer obligatory for believers, the Law has much to teach us regarding a joyfully Jewish way of life. Both Jewish and non-Jewish believers have the freedom in Messiah to maintain any aspects of the Law of Moses which do not violate the entirety of the rest of scripture. (Acts 21:24-26; Romans 6:14;8:2;10:4;14:1-23; 1 Corinthians 9:20; 2 Corinthians 3:1- 11; Galatians 3:3,3:10-13;6:2; Ephesians 2:14 )

Revised and Approved by the AMC Board of Directors - August 28, 2003

STAFF NOTE: This post and the following posts were split off from the Thread: What is you Messianic Affiliation? To keep the topic on topic. You may continue on this subject here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Messianic Jewboy

Senior Veteran
Dec 17, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
✟12,170.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I like Tikkun ministries and Dan Juster. And your congregation seems to be affiliated with the IAMCS which is an offshot of the MJAA

IAMCS is MJAA congregational site. Same organization.

Upvote 0

Messianic Jewboy

Senior Veteran
Dec 17, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
✟12,170.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Messianic Jewboy

Senior Veteran
Dec 17, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
✟12,170.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Is anyone attending a congregation that stance is different obligations for Jews and Gentiles in Torah but have came here and changed to one law for the sojourner but still attend the congregation maybe because there's no other congregation in your area?

Reason I'm asking is I think it's possible that one attends a congregation that the stance is similar to the UMJC but are not in agreement and come hear to express same obligations as Jews to the Torah. Which is ok as long as you're honest.

Reactions: Shimshon
Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
I am not affiliated with any organization as I believe most, if not all, are no longer congregations but businesses. Businesses are amoral entities out to make money.
I too am not affiliated but for a different reason. There is gems and good reason for all the different groups, but to identify with one, usually means to verbally denounce another as insufficient, when they are all insufficient in one way or another for numerous reasons. Therefore to avoid those pitfalls, I would rather stay footloose and not brand myself as in the either or position. For if I identify myself as a party member, I also got to defend all their positions as if they are mine, which is not necessarily true. I rather continue keeping it simple by saying I am a believer, and in conversation on any given subject, my view will become known, as I am not the silent type... and as you have gotten to know me better... can attest to the uniqueness of it, yet as close to Mj as any faith out there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yedida

Ruth Messianic, joining Israel, Na'aseh v'nishma!
Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Neither I nor my physical congregation are under any organizational umbrella. I am an attendee of CTOMC teachings but there are more teachers there that I disagree with than the other way around. Both my physical congregation and CTOMC are Torah for all oriented, and there doesn't seem to be any problems with Jews or gentiles where the scroll is concerned.

Upvote 0

Yoseft

Veteran
Oct 1, 2013
United States
✟11,811.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Yoseft

Veteran
Oct 1, 2013
United States
✟11,811.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
We are so Blessed also that Paul Wilbur, Ted Pearce, Jonathan Settel have come to Worship at our place numerous times.

This post is not an authenticator, but rather I stand / and most times kneel in
awe that HE allowed me to settle in this area after 22 years in the US Army.

When there is a city event, that has International Childrens day, we represent Israel.

Upvote 0

Messianic Jewboy

Senior Veteran
Dec 17, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
✟12,170.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Yoseft

Veteran
Oct 1, 2013
United States
✟11,811.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Is your congregation affiliated with an umbrella such as CTMOC, UMJC, MJAA, AMC etc?
Just IAMCS from what I see.

I am not as keen on all these wonderful governing bodies as some.

I moved into the Hampton / Newport News area and was led to
my current Congregation, and that is where HA Shem seems to want me.

So I do as I am led. I am not a super example.

I just unfortunately know the turmoil that comes with not
doing what I am told from Adonai.:blush:

One knows that Shalom, that inner witness, that you are where you are directed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Honestly I'm astonished. I've been attending conventional churches for 3 years while following Torah commandments. People have expressed interest in my tzitzit, but there is never a problem. If I attend a mainstream MJ congregation I'll be kicked out! Amazing...
Why would you be kicked out? Or, better, what makes you think you'd be kicked out?

Upvote 0

BelieveTheWord

Hebrew Roots Christian
Jan 16, 2015
✟8,702.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Why would you be kicked out? Or, better, what makes you think you'd be kicked out?
"We discourage it because it is a sign of the Jewish covenant (Num.15). Confusing if non-Jews wear it. We do have some non-Jews who are married to Jews or who have gone through our long confirmation process, who are approved to wear a tallit.We don't have conversion but they clearly stand with Israel for a long time. It is a case by case decision of the Elders."

It's pretty obvious what will happen if you reject the confirmation process, but continue to wear tzitzit.

Also the interpretation of Num 15 seems to be off a bit: "37Yahweh spoke to Moses, saying, 38"Speak to the children of Israel, and tell them that they should make themselves fringes in the borders of their garments throughout their generations, and that they put on the fringe of each border a cord of blue: 39and it shall be to you for a fringe, that you may look on it, and remember all the commandments of Yahweh, and do them; and that you not follow after your own heart and your own eyes, after which you use to play the prostitute; 40that you may remember and do all my commandments, and be holy to your God."

Upvote 0