Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So I thought I would share a bit of my background and hear yours too.

I've been to 7 churches in my life I called home. The first 20+ years was at a ABA church called Central Baptist Church in Plano,Tx, pastored by Travis Case. It was a church of at most 150 and usually ran less than 75. Hell, fire, brimestone, small houses on the side of glory land, no drinking, no shorts, and most I people I still call friends today. I left unfortunately there due to a split in the church. Somehow "dictatorship" of the pastor in church affairs had come to a head. I really never knew that side of church because I never was there long enough as a 20 something adult. But I did learn to value Scripture there.

The next church was pastored by an "up and coming great orator in the SBC church" named Darrell Gilyard, at Victory Baptist Church, and pushed as such by Paige Patterson. A LOT of seminary students went here. Loved being around these brains. Unfortunately after about a year there, Darrell had "come forward" and apologized to the church regarding allegation made by women of the church for "rape". The newspaper clearly demonstrated there seem to be cover up going on by Patterson.

I left with a bit more trust in Scripture than man

I left there and went to Hunters Glen Baptist Church where Kim Hall pastored. I was amazed how he remembered my name after meeting me once. He was good with names. My strong devotion to Scripture teachings made my single life in Single's ministry both good and bad. Good is I had a girlfriend there with same values though much nicer than I was about theology. The bad was my Single's minister supported divorcees getting married despite what Jesus said about divorce and remarriage. This lead to a meeting with the Singles minister in her office over this, with no consensus, which lead to her husband calling me saying,"I don't want to trivialize marriage but Scripture does say if you even look on another woman with lust, you commit adultery" which in turn lead me to say, "so your saying all married individuals can be Scripturally divorced then get remarried?!?" (I did yell that). This ended my single's ministry life there but I stand on another year before I left. I did meet one of my best Christian friends ever here, though only for about a year before he died while attending a seminary in an auto accident.
Unfortunately, after the many years since I left there I discovered in the news the pastor killed himself. Not sure why. Sad. He was a good guy.

I still left there trusting Scripture even more than Pastors.

The next two churches were blurs as to who the pastors were. It was a strange time in my life.

I was only at Lake Arlington Baptist for a year or two. Until my brother said, you're never going to meet anyone to marry there.

So off I went to First Baptist Eueless where they had one of the largest Single's ministries in Tarrant county. And with 2 years I was married. Never felt like we fit into the young couples class there, since we were both really there for Single's group.

Next. Northwood Church, which was part of the SBC, with pastor Bob Roberts. At first I was more behind this church than any other church I've been to. This church cared about impacting the community and still does. I changed my thinking because of the pastor on some issues regarding many taboo baptist subjects. Racism, Marriage equality(but not what you might think), Muslim, love for others completely different, and so on. Bob has a passion to tell people about the gospel, and yet tell them he love however they believe. I did change over time here. So did the church. I have this investigator mentality. Bob had talked early on about the impact Leadership Network had on his ministry. So I'm a curious cat and desired to learn about that. I also still had a great love for Scripture.

Eventually I started listening to a Podcast and one I started listening to was Fighting for the Faith with Chris Rosebrough, which I like his theology, his love for poking fun at bad theology, and actually taking the bad theology he mocked and explaining it so simply why Scripture couldn't say what the bad theology said. I was also listening to a lot of Dividing Line with James White. My theology definitely had reformed leanings.

One day, around 2008, he had a deep discussion on the background of emergent church and how the Leadership Network is bad for church. I was at a crossroad and this crossroad was forcing me to choose a side. And my mind was saying, "Chris, this does make sense". To a point I knew, not all cases of learning from the Leadership Network were bad for church. I did have know the pastor more than most due to my contact with him and a few other I respected who knew his theology. He was reformed-ish. But I could tell he had different leanings than me. Bob eventually talked of his friendship and real life mentor, Rick Warren. That was hard for me to swallow. There isn't much I like about Rick, theologically. The church hired a worshipper minister from TD Jakes church. I couldn't comprehend this. Bob would mention off hand good things about Joel Osteen. He allowed women to preach, if you call what his daughter said preaching. He allowed Muslims into church a pray up front to the people. He had church planters come learn in our church how to plant. One joined the staff. One day I questioned something he said and he got back with me saying "I notice you don't get involved in our ministries outside of church" which I replied I did and refuse to sign into any activities. I found it odd he didn't answer my concern but questioned my service.

I know Bob outside the pulpit. He is a person who wants people to come to Christ. But he isn't a great preacher. He's more of a great motivator for missions. He sucks at preaching.

I had to leave. My wife wasn't yet ready. It got to the point I was extremely angry in church. If I wasn't assisting in worship service with lights I was attending the local Lutheran church, which was actually refreshing.

Eventually we left there. I still have lots of respect for Bob outside of the church device. He is dedicated to the gospel.

We now attend Grace Baptist Church with Louis Heard. Good preacher. Loves preaching the gospel, almost like a Lutheran but still in that Baptist form.

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So I thought I would share a bit of my background and hear yours too.

I've been to 7 churches in my life I called home. The first 20+ years was at a ABA church called Central Baptist Church in Plano,Tx, pastored by Travis Case. It was a church of at most 150 and usually ran less than 75. Hell, fire, brimestone, small houses on the side of glory land, no drinking, no shorts, and most I people I still call friends today. I left unfortunately there due to a split in the church. Somehow "dictatorship" of the pastor in church affairs had come to a head. I really never knew that side of church because I never was there long enough as a 20 something adult. But I did learn to value Scripture there.

The next church was pastored by an "up and coming great orator in the SBC church" named Darrell Gilyard, at Victory Baptist Church, and pushed as such by Paige Patterson. A LOT of seminary students went here. Loved being around these brains. Unfortunately after about a year there, Darrell had "come forward" and apologized to the church regarding allegation made by women of the church for "rape". The newspaper clearly demonstrated there seem to be cover up going on by Patterson.

I left with a bit more trust in Scripture than man

I left there and went to Hunters Glen Baptist Church where Kim Hall pastored. I was amazed how he remembered my name after meeting me once. He was good with names. My strong devotion to Scripture teachings made my single life in Single's ministry both good and bad. Good is I had a girlfriend there with same values though much nicer than I was about theology. The bad was my Single's minister supported divorcees getting married despite what Jesus said about divorce and remarriage. This lead to a meeting with the Singles minister in her office over this, with no consensus, which lead to her husband calling me saying,"I don't want to trivialize marriage but Scripture does say if you even look on another woman with lust, you commit adultery" which in turn lead me to say, "so your saying all married individuals can be Scripturally divorced then get remarried?!?" (I did yell that). This ended my single's ministry life there but I stand on another year before I left. I did meet one of my best Christian friends ever here, though only for about a year before he died while attending a seminary in an auto accident.
Unfortunately, after the many years since I left there I discovered in the news the pastor killed himself. Not sure why. Sad. He was a good guy.

I still left there trusting Scripture even more than Pastors.

The next two churches were blurs as to who the pastors were. It was a strange time in my life.

I was only at Lake Arlington Baptist for a year or two. Until my brother said, you're never going to meet anyone to marry there.

So off I went to First Baptist Eueless where they had one of the largest Single's ministries in Tarrant county. And with 2 years I was married. Never felt like we fit into the young couples class there, since we were both really there for Single's group.

Next. Northwood Church, which was part of the SBC, with pastor Bob Roberts. At first I was more behind this church than any other church I've been to. This church cared about impacting the community and still does. I changed my thinking because of the pastor on some issues regarding many taboo baptist subjects. Racism, Marriage equality(but not what you might think), Muslim, love for others completely different, and so on. Bob has a passion to tell people about the gospel, and yet tell them he love however they believe. I did change over time here. So did the church. I have this investigator mentality. Bob had talked early on about the impact Leadership Network had on his ministry. So I'm a curious cat and desired to learn about that. I also still had a great love for Scripture.

Eventually I started listening to a Podcast and one I started listening to was Fighting for the Faith with Chris Rosebrough, which I like his theology, his love for poking fun at bad theology, and actually taking the bad theology he mocked and explaining it so simply why Scripture couldn't say what the bad theology said. I was also listening to a lot of Dividing Line with James White. My theology definitely had reformed leanings.

One day, around 2008, he had a deep discussion on the background of emergent church and how the Leadership Network is bad for church. I was at a crossroad and this crossroad was forcing me to choose a side. And my mind was saying, "Chris, this does make sense". To a point I knew, not all cases of learning from the Leadership Network were bad for church. I did have know the pastor more than most due to my contact with him and a few other I respected who knew his theology. He was reformed-ish. But I could tell he had different leanings than me. Bob eventually talked of his friendship and real life mentor, Rick Warren. That was hard for me to swallow. There isn't much I like about Rick, theologically. The church hired a worshipper minister from TD Jakes church. I couldn't comprehend this. Bob would mention off hand good things about Joel Osteen. He allowed women to preach, if you call what his daughter said preaching. He allowed Muslims into church a pray up front to the people. He had church planters come learn in our church how to plant. One joined the staff. One day I questioned something he said and he got back with me saying "I notice you don't get involved in our ministries outside of church" which I replied I did and refuse to sign into any activities. I found it odd he didn't answer my concern but questioned my service.

I know Bob outside the pulpit. He is a person who wants people to come to Christ. But he isn't a great preacher. He's more of a great motivator for missions. He sucks at preaching.

I had to leave. My wife wasn't yet ready. It got to the point I was extremely angry in church. If I wasn't assisting in worship service with lights I was attending the local Lutheran church, which was actually refreshing.

Eventually we left there. I still have lots of respect for Bob outside of the church device. He is dedicated to the gospel.

We now attend Grace Baptist Church with Louis Heard. Good preacher. Loves preaching the gospel, almost like a Lutheran but still in that Baptist form.

I was born again as a Baptist, spent time with my family in a non denom charismatic Church until around 6th grade, then spent most of my teen and college years at a small country Methodist Church.

I converted to Catholicism as an adult.

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I was born again as a Baptist, spent time with my family in a non denom charismatic Church until around 6th grade, then spent most of my teen and college years at a small country Methodist Church.

I converted to Catholicism as an adult.
Wow! If there was a denomination bucket list, you're well ahead of the curve.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I was raised in a Hyper-Calvinist Primitive Baptist church. When the Lord started working on my conscience and I started to actually read the Bible I found out that the Gospel is the power of God unto salvation and that election is not salvation but unto salvation. I started attending a PCA church and preached there occasionally. I, for economic reasons, moved to Fla. and attended the PCA church there, which I believe Sproul started attending just before I left, and while the preacher was a great speaker he never said anything that could possibly offend anyone. I loved him and had many talks one on one with him about the doctrines of grace but never once heard him preach any of them. When they decided to build a new building they "asked" me to commit to a certain amount of support for it monthly. I didn't and the elders came calling. Well that left a real bad taste in my mouth so I left. I should say at this point I was all along a Baptist in a PCA church and they knew it. We had many discussions on baptism.

Well I went from there back to a Primitive Baptist church and stayed probably a year but I never preached there because they knew my stance on the Gospel. Then my life went to hell and I didn't go anywhere for a long time.

My wife, after we had moved, saw an article written by a pastor of a startup congregation which was thoroughly Calvinistic and Baptist. I told her that she should visit but I had no interest in church at all. The pastor came to visit and I grilled him on his theology, I had studied the theology of the Scriptures pretty well by that point though I was a drunk. He asked me to come to a service and see what I thought and I told him I would. I went the next Sunday and couldn't stay away since. I preached often there and am still very close to the former pastor. He moved to Indiana. I was convinced that the Lord wanted me to go to school and I searched for one for a long time and finally settled on one in Lexington, Ky. I and my wife both quit our well paying jobs and moved to the Lexington area and I started school. I had had several discussions with the president of the college sitting across his desk from him concerning the Doctrines of Grace and he assured me that he believed and taught them all. The professors all said the same thing to me. Well one chapel service which we were all required to attend the president preached from 2Pet. 3:9 and 1Tim. 2:4 and he preached them exactly the opposite of what he assured me that he believed. Before the first student was out the door I was up on the pulpit with my finger in his chest calling him a liar. After that they kind of made it clear that they didn't want me to return the next semester and I agreed. The very next semester they got rid of all the professors who actually believed any truth.

I am now convinced that God intended for me to move to Ky. in order to put me in the pew listening to a man truly called of God to preach His Gospel. I learned more about what it is to preach the Gospel sitting in that pew than I could have ever learned in any school. I since have travelled all over the country preaching the Gospel.

Oh yeah, somewhere along the way I was greatly exposed to the Reformed Baptists. I cannot agree with them on some issues so I could never become part of their fellowships.

Upvote 0

jef1225

Nov 24, 2015
✟17,378.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
well I wasn't really brought up in any religion or church. but as a teenager my brother dated a girl and we went to her church with her a couple times. it was a non denom church I believe. but the pastor was one of the most wonderful men of god I have ever met til this day. very biblical and loving church. he would be preaching and then he would get loud and it got your attention lol. anyways that was the church where I met jesus, god, and the holy spirit. after joining the military I really never went to church again except for weddings, funerals, and others baptisms etc. well about 7 years ago I got the bug and went thru rcia and became a catholic where I met a catholic priest named father tom. another man of god who I had deep respect and love for. he and mr tomko were the 2 men of god who I met that I thought really told the truth and believed what they were preaching and practiced what they preached. well after I was baptized and all, my life kind of fell apart and over the last few years have fallen away again. now im in a predicament wheres I don't know if I am catholic in my views or not. all I know is I love and give praise to god, jesus and the holy spirit for all my blessings in which I don't deserve for my sinful ways and turning away from his word. I am now praying for god to lead me where im supposed to be in my walk with him and thinkin on what church I belong too.

Upvote 0

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I grew up in 3 different baptist churches...visited a church of christ a few times. and a pentecostal style church once..moved across the state, got married, visited a non denom church once. visited a baptist church handful of times, but didn't feel like the right feel..no presence of spirit there for me. 12 years lingered on and finally , I received an invite to an independent baptist church ...visited in sept and been there ever since. Am finally glad to have found my church home where I can continue my growth as a Christian.

Upvote 0

Grandpa4

Sep 25, 2015
Jacumba, CA
✟15,553.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This May 18 will be 53 years I've been born again, and I've been a Baptist all that time. However, there is only one baptist church near me, and the preaching, teaching and song services are all extremely boring and lifeless. I had a pastor in my home city for 20 years who was extremely inspirational in his preaching and teaching, and the song services were lively and enjoyable because I led them. OK, so that sounds conceited. Because of allergies, I can no longer sing, and I miss that ministry. In my travels in the Air Force and since retiring, I've been to many Baptist churches--some mediocre, some not that good. some good, some great, but I've almost always been the song leader and soloist (sometimes singing in the choir or a small group. I always loved singing, and I miss not being able to do it any more.

Upvote 0

FaithfulPilgrim

Eternally Seeking
Feb 8, 2015
South Carolina
✟39,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I went to a Southern Baptist church when I was really little.

My family later went to a nondenominational megachurch that was pretty much Baptist in doctrine but contemporary and casual. The old church was boring and the family wanted to be excited about worshiping the Lord. I saw nothing wrong with at the time and it was our main church for years from when I was in elementary school until sometime in the ninth grade. We left after my stepdad complained that a woman was preaching.

Around the same time, I went a private school owned by an SDA church and occasionally attended their service. I did not like it as it was long and boring. I also attended VBS at a Nazarene church.

Towards the end of the ninth grade, I went to a Southern Baptist church, the biggest and main one in my community. It was so big, that there were two seperate services on the same day. The Wednesday youth service is very casual so we left because of that. I remember on the Wednesday services before the worship actually began, Dark Horse would play.
The Sunday service was just your typical Southern Baptist church service, though.

We now attend another Southern Baptist church that is smaller and a lot closer to where I live. Even though I grew up in the casual and cool church environment, I prefer my current church with its pews, hymns, and the smaller Sunday school groups.

Upvote 0

HeraldOfTheHolyOne

יהוה יהוה אל רחום וחנון ארך אפים ורב חסד ואמת
Dec 27, 2013
California
✟8,380.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I grew up in a Dispensational/Calvinist church, and later left for a small non-denominational Arminian/Dispensational/Baptist church. During that time I grew even further in my convictions for the doctrines of grace, though I had adopted continuationism. Time went on, and I began to question Dispensationalism as a valid framework. I started my studies at a Reformed undergrad, adopted covenant theology, and attended an Anglican (ACNA) church for a time. Finally after accepting not only covenant theology, but also paedobaptism, cessationism, the regulative principle of worship, and Presbyterian polity, I have come to embrace the Westminster Confession & Catechisms' theology. I'm a member of a Presbyterian Church (PCA). Though my understanding of Scripture will, I pray, always be reforming, I'm convinced I'll remain a Presbyterian for life :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums