1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's wrong with the Message Bible?

Discussion in 'Non-denominational' started by koppee1, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. koppee1

koppee1 New Member

Faith:
    Protestant
    I read someone saying stay away from it....I just saw it today in a book store. I looked at some verses for a couple of seconds and the verses seems to be translated well. Note, I only looked at it for a couple of seconds :p

2. AdJesumPerMariam

AdJesumPerMariam To Jesus through Mary

Faith:
    Catholic
    I have one & I really like it. It is my 'reading Bible'. It does not have verses, but neither did the any other Bible until sometime around the 15-1600's.

Love-n-Blessings
    dee

3. koppee1

koppee1 New Member

Faith:
    Protestant
    whoa...it doesn't have verses? I'm quite sure the one I saw had verses on the far side of the page.....

4. Col

Col Good looking and modest

Faith:
    Catholic
    Its an excellent Bible to use as an extra reference at Bible Study. In the Bible study group I belong to, we use many translations and often refer to the Message, as it invariably gives some clarity to difficult passages or simply presents them in a less cryptic fashion. I also find it a lovely translation to read on its own.

Bless Ya
    Col :) <><

5. Col

Col Good looking and modest

Faith:
    Catholic
    It doesn't have individual versus throughout the passage.
    It does, as you have said, indicate the chapter and verses at the top of each page. It is not difficult to find the area of an exact verse if you need to, you simply use another Bible to compare the text and you will soon find the spot you need, as the translation doesn't differ that much to make it unrecognisable.
    I have however, heard that there is talk of publishing a version of the message with verse numbering throughout the text.
    The reason they are not currently numbered in the text, is to purposely give it an easier reading style and presentation. I think that you will find most people who enjoy the Message Bible, will say this is a plus as it makes for an excellent "reading Bible" (if there is such a term).

Bless Ya
    Col:) <><

6. ZeroTX

ZeroTX New Member

Faith:
    Christian
    One of my "criteria" for a good Bible translation is to read the process by which it was translated.... who was involved (denominations, scholars), how many people (the more eyes upon it, the more likely you get non-biased accuracy), what texts were used, WHEN was it done, did they do updates to correct concerns or potential inaccuracies, etc....

So far the only two I really want in my stable are the NIV and the NASB. The NIV is great for reading, and it's what I use 95% of the time.... The NIV had the largest team of multi-denominational translators/scholars onboard, and they also updated a few passages when other scholars later put things into question... I keep the NASB for bible study purposes, and I also have a KJV to go back to for beautiful scriptural quotes, though I think KJV is less accurate than either NIV or NASB.

-Michael

7. Svt4Him

Svt4Him Legend Supporter

Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    There's nothing wrong with it, it's a great translation.

8. Cookie_monster

Cookie_monster I love cookies!

Faith:
    Christian
    It's good as long as it is not your ONLY Bible. I noticed a few things which were lost in translation, one I remember is 'Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us - the bit in italics doesn't come across in The Message, where I think it is the important part of this verse.

9. Svt4Him

Svt4Him Legend Supporter

Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    So he said, “When you pray, say,

Father,
    Reveal who you are.
    Set the world right.
    3Keep us alive with three square meals.
    4Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others.
    Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil.”

10. Cookie_monster

Cookie_monster I love cookies!

Faith:
    Christian
    Thank you, svt4him!

The original version I alwyas interpretated as meaning that we cannot expect to be forgiven unless we forgive those sinning against us: Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us.

But the message version sounds as though it is missing this vital comparison.

11. Knee V

Knee V It's phonetic.

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    When the Bible was originally penned, there was one version. They did not get together to try to find a way to reprint the Word to make it easier to read. I'm not advocating that there is only one true translation, but what I am advocating is that when we choose a translation (or translations), we should try to find the most accurate rendering that we can find. The Message is far from that. That is why I do not and will not use it as my Bible.

12. KleinerApfel

KleinerApfel When I awake I am still with You

Faith:
    Christian
    I think ZoroTX and Knee-v give good advice about checking out credentials of translators.

I don't consider the Message to be a real bible - it's more a paraphrase than a direct translation - and sometimes has large differences in the apparent meaning when compared to standard translations. It seems to be the work of just one man, which is just not safe to my mind.

I do occasionally use it just to get another "flavour" from words that have become stale to me, in the same way I'd use commentaries, prayer books, devotionals. (I'm not saying God's word is stale - just my perceptions are dull sometimes!) But it worries me if it's used in church, presented as the bible.

Blessings, Susana

13. Protoevangel

Protoevangel A time comes when silence is betrayal.

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    The Message Bible has it's uses.

I like to quote from it.
    The passages are really personable; it is written to speak to "you".
    It is a good gift Bible to people who claim they don't read the Bible "because it's too hard to understand".
    I is good to refrence if you are reading a passage in a more literal translation, and you just can't seem to wrap your brain around it.

I would never say there is something wrong with The Message. Eugene Peterson did a great job paraphrasing the original languages to bring us a Bible in common language.

However, as a number of people have mentioned, and I would fully agree, it is not good as a primary Bible, especially not for study purposes.

Oh, they do have two versions of The Message out. The one most people are familiar with is the one without verse refrences. There is a newer version that includes the verse refrences. Also, if you read it online at www.biblegateway.com, it includes verse refrences.

14. HoT-MetaL

HoT-MetaL Yahweh Warrior

Faith:
    Christian
    I think its OK if youre ministering to the youth, but I wouldnt give a paraphrase to a new christian. I also wouldnt quote from a paraphrase. I think its good to say "And this verse says this bla bla bla. To simplify it, you could put it this way bla bla bla."
    I certainly wouldnt suggest that you should read it more than a translation - perhaps use it to cross-reference if you find a particular verse difficult to understand.

God Bless, metal.

15. Andry

Andry Jedi Master

Faith:
    Christian
    There's nothing wrong with the Message Bible.

It's in street language. Those who would think otherwise should stop being so caught up in legalism. The more we can get the word of God in the hands of the unsaved the better.

Do we think Bible translations in other languages would be an exact translation of the original also? Do we think that 'Chinese' Bibles would be an exact translation? Most likely not, but it gets the job done for now, that is, get as many saved. God deal with the finer points of doctrine later.

It's really difficult to mess up "the salvation verses" in any translation. That's what's important. Get the unsaved into the Kingdom first.

It's so easy to be such a critic and pull down other peoples works for the Lord.

16. Andry

Andry Jedi Master

Faith:
    Christian
    There's nothing wrong with the Message Bible.

It's in street language. Those who would think otherwise should stop being so caught up in legalism. The more we can get the word of God in the hands of the unsaved the better.

Do we think Bible translations in other languages would be an exact translation of the original also? Do we think that 'Chinese' Bibles would be an exact translation? Most likely not, but it gets the job done for now, that is, get as many saved. God can deal with the finer points of doctrine later.

It's really difficult to mess up "the salvation verses" in any translation. That's what's important. Get the unsaved into the Kingdom first.

It's so easy to be such a critic and pull down other peoples works for the Lord.

17. HoT-MetaL

HoT-MetaL Yahweh Warrior

Faith:
    Christian
    Legalism does suck dude, but bear in mind that just because we're not being legalistic, doesnt mean that anything goes.

Like I said, theres nothign wrong with the paraphrase, but it hsouldnt be your main source of edification.

God Bless, metal.

18. KleinerApfel

KleinerApfel When I awake I am still with You

Faith:
    Christian
    Andry mentioned street language, and I remembered this - has anyone read The Street Bible?

http://thestreetbible.com/

It's another modern paraphrase, and the author is upfront that it's not an actual bible - he says:

Before you enter into the world of
    “the street Bible”
    you need to hear this straight from the author…
    "No way is this the Proper Bible.
    It’s a trailer for,
    an intro to,
    an overview of
    The Bible (capital "B")
    For those who’ve never read it,
    And those who’ve read it so much it’s gone stale on them".

I think it probably does the job well, but I haven't read it all. I saw the stage version at Spring Harvest last week - it's fantastic.
    There are some quotes from his book on the website.

Blessings, Susana

19. devoted daughter

devoted daughter New Member

Faith:
    Christian
    AMEN!!! :clap:
    DD

20. ChrisB

ChrisB New Member

Faith:
    Protestant
    I have a copy of the NT Message with Psalms and Proverbs - it's a bit like the curate's egg - "good in parts". It's certainly much easier reading than other Bibles and some parts are really beautiful but some of the translation comes off as bit "odd" to a British reader.

The Street Bible is good also although I think it comes over better as a performance. I saw Rob Lacey do exerpts from it just after it came out and it was gripping. I think it'd be a good resource for teenagers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.