What's the right wing spin on trump telling Russia to commit espionage against the United States

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,123.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Here's a link:

http://www.sltrib.com/home/4163998-155/trump-says-russia-should-find-clintons

I'm curious, too.

Glenn Beck thinks Russia should find all Trump's tax returns that he is so reluctant to share with the voters. Some of his speculations: 1) they would show his income and net worth is lower than he claims, and that he has been funding his campaign partly from his businesses. Why does this matter? Because so many corporations and individuals have filed pending lawsuits against his businesses that moving the assets out of them might be stealing from the plaintiffs' settlements. 2) they would show his many business transactions with Russian companies.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There are very few things which could potentially make me plug my nose enough to make a Clinton vote. This, if Trump really said this, might be one of them. I'm not upset that Russia is using their inteligence services to try to swing the American public into voting for a candidate that cooperates with Russia's expansionist desires, I expect that of Russia. I don't expect prospective American Presidents to encourage espionage against the United States.

Upvote 0

RKO

Oct 27, 2011
✟41,071.00
Faith
Catholic
Here's a link:

I'm curious, too.

Glenn Beck thinks Russia should find all Trump's tax returns that he is so reluctant to share with the voters. Some of his speculations: 1) they would show his income and net worth is lower than he claims, and that he has been funding his campaign partly from his businesses. Why does this matter? Because so many corporations and individuals have filed pending lawsuits against his businesses that moving the assets out of them might be stealing from the plaintiffs' settlements. 2) they would show his many business transactions with Russian companies.
I don't keep up with beck. Is he anti Trump?

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟144,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Here's a link:

I'm curious, too.

Do you support this? Would be really funny considering the DNC hack makes you so upset.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,123.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I never listen to Beck...

I gave up my satellite radio for Lent and gave a year's subscription to the Guatemalan orphanage....

I am sorely tempted to take it back, but I feel like it's a positive sacrifice (even though I get $5 a month offers all the time now...)

In the meantime, all the radio in my town is very conservative, and NPR is good--but sometimes they're doing classical music instead of news.

So this morning I go to the town news station, and lo and behold, to my shock, I heard negative Trump talk. I later learned it was George Will and Glenn Beck, and after about 10 minutes I realized I wouldn't be tuning in to them again.

During a Presidential election year, this "Satellite Radio Fast" is especially hard :(

Upvote 0

RKO

Oct 27, 2011
✟41,071.00
Faith
Catholic
Do you support this? Would be really funny considering the DNC hack makes you so upset.
Cmon Mik. The "hack" is what it is. The emails are what they are. Fair enough. Privacy gets violated. But I know you on some level have an issue with any person who asks an unfriendly foreign power to commit cyber espionage. I don't expect you to switch off Trump. But you know that's terrible. And if Clinton had done it your side would be losing their minds just like we are on our side.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RKO

Oct 27, 2011
✟41,071.00
Faith
Catholic
In a better America we would all, regardless of party or any election, be concerned about a politician telling a foreign country to continue spying on those we disagree with.
Sadly I'm concerned that many are closer to Putin than they are their fellow Americans of the other party.

Write this down. I would gladly support Trump over Putin. Or Hitler as was discussed some time back.
This is a sad opinion I have but I would love to be convinced I'm wrong.

Reactions: MikeK
Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Here is the actual quote in video form:

The full press conference is here. The quote is from shortly after the twelve minute mark.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?41326...-hillary-clinton-emails-criticizes-record-tpp

Let's look at the full context.

Before talking about Russia or the hacks, Trump complains about the media not reporting how the DNC is going poorly (particularly with regards to upset Bernie supporters). This is hardly the first time that he's directly attacked the press.

After doing this he is asked about Putin, says that he has nothing to do with Putin. He then starts talking about the hack and says that no one knows who did it and it probably isn't Russia, but says hypothetically if it was it would be because Russia did not respect us and he condemns the hack.

Now we get to the quote in question. At this point he is still talking hypothetically and he prefaces it with the statement "it would be interesting to see..." and closes his statement with "you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press. Let's see if that happens."

The context makes it clear that Trump is talking about the media reaction to a hypothetical hack of the e-mails. That is to say, supposing that the Russians did release the deleted e-mails, does anyone believe that there would be serious reporting about negative things found in them? If you watch either video his sarcasm on the line "Let's see if that happens" in particular is not exactly hard to detect.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟144,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Cmon Mik. The "hack" is what it is. The emails are what they are. Fair enough. Privacy gets violated. But I know you on some level have an issue with any person who asks an unfriendly foreign power to commit cyber espionage. I don't expect you to switch off Trump. But you know that's terrible. And if Clinton had done it your side would be losing their minds just like we are on our side.
What I'm saying is, she seems to support Russia hacking Trumps tax returns but at the same time is upset that they may or may not have hacked the DNC. Can't have it both ways.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟66,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I keep asking this question and I'm not getting an answer:

Why is this not treason ?

What I'm saying is, she seems to support Russia hacking Trumps tax returns but at the same time is upset that they may or may not have hacked the DNC. Can't have it both ways.

Where is Clinton suggesting that Trump's tax returns should be hacked ?

Upvote 0

RKO

Oct 27, 2011
✟41,071.00
Faith
Catholic
Here is the actual quote in video form:

The full press conference is here. The quote is from shortly after the twelve minute mark.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?41326...-hillary-clinton-emails-criticizes-record-tpp

Let's look at the full context.

Before talking about Russia or the hacks, Trump complains about the media not reporting how the DNC is going poorly (particularly with regards to upset Bernie supporters). This is hardly the first time that he's directly attacked the press.

After doing this he is asked about Putin, says that he has nothing to do with Putin. He then starts talking about the hack and says that no one knows who did it and it probably isn't Russia, but says hypothetically if it was it would be because Russia did not respect us and he condemns the hack.

Now we get to the quote in question. At this point he is still talking hypothetically and he prefaces it with the statement "it would be interesting to see..." and closes his statement with "you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press. Let's see if that happens."

The context makes it clear that Trump is talking about the media reaction to a hypothetical hack of the e-mails. That is to say, supposing that the Russians did release the deleted e-mails, does anyone believe that there would be serious reporting about negative things found in them? If you watch either video his sarcasm on the line "Let's see if that happens" in particular is not exactly hard to detect.
There is no denying that he called on Russia to release intelligence they may have gotten or may get through this espionage. None.
I get that it won't matter at all to an awful lot of people, but a man who wants to be president encouraging an unfriendly nation to spy on his enemies and release whatever they find is the lowest point in American politics. It's also stupid and if not for it being Trump, would be considered conspiracy with a foreign power.
Not that I think it will be treated as such. But we may elect the most clueless and therefore dangerous man in history.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RKO

Oct 27, 2011
✟41,071.00
Faith
Catholic
I didn't read the Beck thing. Did Hillary call for Russia to release his tax returns? Because if she did, it's exactly the same thing.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I didn't read the Beck thing. Did Hillary call for Russia to release his tax returns? Because if she did, it's exactly the same thing.

I agree wholeheartedly. Trump overtly encouraging foreign espionage isn't wrong because he's Trump, it's wrong because it's overtly encouraging foreign espionage. If it happens that Hilary did it too, she is just as wrong.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟66,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There is no denying that he called on Russia to release intelligence they may have gotten or may get through this espionage. None.
I get that it won't matter at all to an awful lot of people, but a man who wants to be president encouraging an unfriendly nation to spy on his enemies and release whatever they find is the lowest point in American politics. It's also stupid and if not for it being Trump, would be considered conspiracy with a foreign power.
Not that I think it will be treated as such. But we may elect the most clueless and therefore dangerous man in history.

And I don't know why it's assumed Putin is doing Trump's bidding.

How do we know that Trump isn't a Putin Puppet ?

Trump is evidently in deep with the Russian rich, powerful and mobbed up.

Who is actually controlling whom here ?

I have a feeling Trump just had is "47%" moment.

This one isn't going away.

Upvote 0