What's the religion of Noah?

Van

Contributor
Oct 28, 2004
California
✟9,814.00
Faith
Christian
By Faith, Noah, being warned by God about things not yet seen, in reverence prepared an Ark for the salvation of his household, by which he condemned the world, and became an heir of the righteousness which is according to faith. So Noah obtained approval by faith, and his faith in God's word produced action in his life that demonstrated his faith in God.

But did this faith in God provide Noah access to heaven and a right relationship with God? Nope. The Old Testament "saints" (those that gained "approval through faith in God") died in faith without receiving the promises, but having seen them and welcomed them from a distance, and having confessed that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. So when they died, they did not go to heaven, but instead their spirits went to a place of comfort, called "Abraham's Bosom" set apart (hence saints) yet having not received the promise of righteousness of God. But God has provided something even better for us (New Testament Saints) so that apart from us (i.e before Christ died on the cross for all mankind) they should not be made perfect. But when Christ died, He emptied out "Abraham's bosom" and brought them -the OT saints - to Paradise, and so with us they did receive the promise of the righteousness of God. This is all spelled out in Hebrews Chapter 11, verses 7, 13, 39 and 40, plus Luke 16:23-26.

Upvote 0

Adoniram

Jan 15, 2004
Missouri
✟9,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Noah's faith was based on a personal relationship with God. God spoke to him, and Noah listened. Even in the face of extreme ridicule from his neighbors, he followed God's instructions, including those regarding the building of the Ark. He offered sacrifices as well, so it might have been similar to Judaism, although as an organized religion, Judaism did not yet exist. Because Noah had faith in God, he was justified in the way Paul talks about Abraham being counted righteous in Romans 4.

Noah's faith and the sacrifices he performed looked forward to Christ's crucifixion theologically speaking, though from his perspective, it was only the promise of deliverance and salvation from God.

Chesterton,
Christianity is the only religion based upon Christ's crucifixion and resurrection. Islam may regard Christ as a great prophet, but not as a crucified and risen Savior. Most other religions completely disregard Christ. All religions are not the same. I don't know where you get that idea.

Upvote 0

Mahammad

Kafir
May 30, 2009
Canada
✟9,589.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
By Faith, Noah, being warned by God about things not yet seen, in reverence prepared an Ark for the salvation of his household, by which he condemned the world, and became an heir of the righteousness which is according to faith. So Noah obtained approval by faith, and his faith in God's word produced action in his life that demonstrated his faith in God.

But did this faith in God provide Noah access to heaven and a right relationship with God? Nope. The Old Testament "saints" (those that gained "approval through faith in God") died in faith without receiving the promises, but having seen them and welcomed them from a distance, and having confessed that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. So when they died, they did not go to heaven, but instead their spirits went to a place of comfort, called "Abraham's Bosom" set apart (hence saints) yet having not received the promise of righteousness of God. But God has provided something even better for us (New Testament Saints) so that apart from us (i.e before Christ died on the cross for all mankind) they should not be made perfect. But when Christ died, He emptied out "Abraham's bosom" and brought them -the OT saints - to Paradise, and so with us they did receive the promise of the righteousness of God. This is all spelled out in Hebrews Chapter 11, verses 7, 13, 39 and 40, plus Luke 16:23-26.

Well you're not really answering the question. I asked about what religion he followed not if he's going to heaven or hell.

Upvote 0

Mahammad

Kafir
May 30, 2009
Canada
✟9,589.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Noah's faith was based on a personal relationship with God. God spoke to him, and Noah listened. Even in the face of extreme ridicule from his neighbors, he followed God's instructions, including those regarding the building of the Ark. He offered sacrifices as well, so it might have been similar to Judaism, although as an organized religion, Judaism did not yet exist. Because Noah had faith in God, he was justified in the way Paul talks about Abraham being counted righteous in Romans 4.

Noah's faith and the sacrifices he performed looked forward to Christ's crucifixion theologically speaking, though from his perspective, it was only the promise of deliverance and salvation from God.

Chesterton,
Christianity is the only religion based upon Christ's crucifixion and resurrection. Islam may regard Christ as a great prophet, but not as a crucified and risen Savior. Most other religions completely disregard Christ. All religions are not the same. I don't know where you get that idea.

So, what's his religion called?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Yeah but I want to know Noah's religion, was it Judaism, Christianity or what?
Why would there be a label for where Noah stood in the story? The question is nonsensical.

Upvote 0

Van

Contributor
Oct 28, 2004
California
✟9,814.00
Faith
Christian
Well you're not really answering the question. I asked about what religion he followed not if he's going to heaven or hell.

Hi formy, I think what we have here is a failure to communicate. How did Noah get into heaven? By being taken there by Jesus. And Christians are those who are taken to heaven by Jesus. That would seem to answer your question. I said Noah obtained approval through faith in God. This refers to the God of the Bible, Yahweh. And who is one person of the trinity? The Son, who became flesh as Jesus. Noah's trust in God certainly lacked knowledge and understanding of what God revealed subsequently, that is why the scripture I referenced says they were aware of the promises, having "welcomed them from a distance". The OT saints desired a better country, that is a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God for He prepared a city for them.

So the explicit answer from scripture is Noah's "religion" was "Christianity" from afar.

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yeah but I want to know Noah's religion, was it Judaism, Christianity or what?
In the beginning, the worship of God was just called "The Worship of God." There was only One God, thus there was only one religion.

As things went increasingly haywire on the human plane, the simplicity of One God/one worship fell by the wayside as humans invented new "gods" and increasingly spiritually perverted ways of worshiping the works of their hands.

TRUE WORSHIP does not need a name--it is what it is. However, as our Lord Jesus incarnated to reestablish us in our relationship and worship of God through teaching and demonstrating God's will in all things, those who follow Him through the power of the Holy Spirit took His name to delineate their spiritual affiliation with the True God, through "worship in Spirit and in Truth,"(John 4:23, 24) from all the false religions which abound and, of course, from atheism which is the height of false worship in all its confusion and darkness--the worship of oneself.

:bow:ABBA'S FOOL,
ephraim

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟378,031.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Judaism had not yet been revealed, and Christ had not yet come, so he was neither Jewish nor Christian. He was a Gentile worshiper of God, fairly like what the New Testament calls God-fearers. Jews call such people "Noahides," though there's probably a technical difference since Noah offered animal sacrifices.

Upvote 0

Adoniram

Jan 15, 2004
Missouri
✟9,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, what's his religion called?
The Bible doesn't really have a "name" for it, and neither do religious scholars that I am aware of. Judaism didn't come along until Abraham and God's covenant promises to him; Christianity...not until Pentecost soon after Christ's death and resurrection; Islam...not until Muhammad who founded it in the early 600's AD.

So, I guess the closest we could come to a name for it would be monotheism. The belief in one god. But that's a very general term and doesn't really describe the reality of the personal relationship that Noah had with the one true God.

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
According to Christianity?

"Religion" is man's attempt to commune with God through ritual and tradition.

Noah like Adam and later Abraham Spoke with God directly, and did not need to "attempt to commune with God." They had a direct line to God where God in turn spoke to them directly.

Upvote 0