What's the deal with Rob Bell

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ok. let me put it this way -- do you perfectly understand the bible?

go cards
Nope not yet. But what i do know as truth i am 100% confident that i have been guided to it by HS using faith reason and those who went before me going back to the earliest Christians.

Romans 16:17-18
"Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them who cause divisions and offenses contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ but their own body, and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the innocent. "

Upvote 0

BigChrisfilm

Contributor
Feb 17, 2006
Portsmouth Ohio
Visit site
✟15,453.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
ok. let's jump into it. i think people believe the writers of scripture sat at a desk with a pen in hand and the spirit of God moved their hand to write down stuff. i don't think that's how it happened. i believe the writers had agendas. luke said he wrote to give an orderly account of all that has gone down. john said he wrote so we will believe in Jesus. etc; etc; i don't think any author of scripture woke up and said -- today i'm going to write a section of the bible. their writings were recognized as inspired soon after their creation. let's start there.

go cards

Ok, except the part about how God said they were inspired in the Bible...?

Upvote 0

BigChrisfilm

Contributor
Feb 17, 2006
Portsmouth Ohio
Visit site
✟15,453.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
i don't think slick is really all that . . . slick. you talk about reaching and creating 'strawman' arguements. obviously he hasn't done his research. for example one of the things bell's church, mars hill, does is to sing hymns. they do this because they don't want to lose touch with the roots of those who've gone before them. they also incorporate other 'formal' methods of worship that would be considered traditional. in the words of ozzie guien . . . 'Please!'

go cards

Did you read the part about how there is no set format, and some "churches" still do adhere to some traditional things? It was a little further down the page.

Upvote 0

BigChrisfilm

Contributor
Feb 17, 2006
Portsmouth Ohio
Visit site
✟15,453.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
very true. a lot of ot scripture was oral tradition that someone finally penned. what i find to be more dangerous is 'bibli-olatry' -- the worship of the bible.

it's interesting that through the abuses of the church's interpretation of various writings that eventually it led leaders to assemble to see what truly was inspired and what was not. do we believe that assembly to be equally inspired in their selections? that arguement goes on even to this day and has caused much division.

go cards

What about the part of scripture where God places his word above his own name? Is he practicing "Bibli-olatry" too?

Psalm 138:2 (King James Version)

2I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.

Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0

BigChrisfilm

Contributor
Feb 17, 2006
Portsmouth Ohio
Visit site
✟15,453.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
ok. let me put it this way -- do you perfectly understand the bible?

go cards

I think it does all boil down to this question. Do I perfectly understand the Bible, no. In fact, there is enough mystery in there for me to go my whole life without having to re question anything. However, what Rob doesn't understand is there are these things called the essential doctrines of the faith that NO ONE is allowed to "re imagine". I find it hard to believe that a Christian would find the Bible stale not "mysterious".

Upvote 0

itisdeliciouscake

Deus est regit qui omnia
Apr 14, 2008
Indiana
✟11,689.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Ok... when it comes to Rob Bell I'm a bit conflicted.

The orthodox, heresy-hating, reformed part of me really wants to criticize him, cuz he's part of the emergent crowd and the vast majority of emergents are way off. (I think one should keep in mind..... The emergent church covers a varieties of different Christian denominations/beliefs/doctrines. It is not one specific movement, but a general movement of many different denominations! You can't make generalizations because someone is considered 'emergent')

But if I had to be perfectly honest, he takes way more flaque than he should. I've never heard ONE good case against Rob Bell. Every time someone tries to show how he's way off or something... I always finds that they quote him WAY out of context. I think people need to quit critizing him unless they have some legitimate reasoning to do so. (and even then, critizing for the sake of criticizing is wrong. unless you intend to do something about it, you ought to shut your mouth.)

Upvote 0
Jan 18, 2009
America
✟10,055.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Ok... when it comes to Rob Bell I'm a bit conflicted.

The orthodox, heresy-hating, reformed part of me really wants to criticize him, cuz he's part of the emergent crowd and the vast majority of emergents are way off. (I think one should keep in mind..... The emergent church covers a varieties of different Christian denominations/beliefs/doctrines. It is not one specific movement, but a general movement of many different denominations! You can't make generalizations because someone is considered 'emergent')

But if I had to be perfectly honest, he takes way more flaque than he should. I've never heard ONE good case against Rob Bell. Every time someone tries to show how he's way off or something... I always finds that they quote him WAY out of context. I think people need to quit critizing him unless they have some legitimate reasoning to do so. (and even then, critizing for the sake of criticizing is wrong. unless you intend to do something about it, you ought to shut your mouth.)

Mark Driscoll addresses the Emergent Village, McLaren, Pagitt, and Bell in his book Religion Saves + 9 other misconceptions. The book well exposes the heresies that they teach.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
do you believe everything you read sl?
Heck, I don't even believe everything that I 'see'. :p

i agree one ought to research and do their homework but we're living in a day when more than ever before we need to go directly to the source and not just read someone's negative blogs that, more than likely, are taken out of context.
Exactly. That was laziness on my part.
As you might notice, I did advise BCF to do his own digging.... thanks to
modern technology, it's easy to 'go to the source'.

Bottom line anyhow is Scripture. If one is to avoid wolves and 'heresy', one
must know the difference. The only way to know if something is untrue, is to
know the truth to begin with.

My ex began taking my kids to that church several years ago and at that time,
I thought it was great. Everyone was talking about this new kid on the block...great marketing etc.
Because my children were attending, I naturally had more of an interest
in finding out more about the church.

Before long, some of the area pastors (mostly younger ones) began adopting this
emergent theology and in fact, many of the pastors and leaders that my
(now older) children were hanging out with on a daily basis, were of that
same mind.

As with everything, I took it to the Father. No need for me to tell the kids to
dump their friends, or that this group is all wet. That wouldnt have accomplished anything. Besides, He knows all, I dont.

My prayer:
"Let your will be done Lord, not kids, not pastor friend's, but yours...
I thank you for leading us into paths of righteousness for your name's sake..."

ALWAYS do I pray for God to lead, since HE alone knows what is best for my
family. Never do I ask for "my" will. My will is to hear Him and follow..

Out of nine kids:
1... attends my church
2... attends AOG
3... attends RCA
4 ... attends my church plus a full gospel church
5... attends a church i know nothing much about and
it may in fact be somewhat emergant.
, plus a full gospel church
6, 7, and 8 attend my church, plus a CRC church and
sometimes attend a local "conservative- trying -to turn- more-
liberal" church
Number 9, my step daughter isnt attending church, but when she
was it was more of a full gospel type.

Anyhow, the reason that I said all tht was to give you an idea of just
how open minded I am concerning different tribes. Let GOD put each
member where He needs or wants us :thumbsup:

AFA RB, as I said before, personally, no thank you at this time.

(sorry so long winded lol)
:blush:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Markus6

Veteran
Jul 19, 2006
Houston
✟22,034.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mark Driscoll addresses the Emergent Village, McLaren, Pagitt, and Bell in his book Religion Saves + 9 other misconceptions. The book well exposes the heresies that they teach.
FYI Driscoll self identifies as "emerging" but not "emergent" as he labels those he criticises. Bell does not identify as emerging, emergent or anything else of that nature.

Upvote 0

Celticflower

charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I only know of Bell from a couple of the NOOMA videos my husband made me watch. My problem with those is that there always seems to be something in the background that is a major distraction and disconnect from what he is saying. In one he is talking about doing not just observing - then turns and looks out the window at his neighbor across the street shoveling a driveway. But he never makes a move to help her and when he finally does get out of his cozy little room and goes to get the paper (or whatever) he barely acknowledges the woman, who it turns out, was shoveling her next door neighbor's drive.

My husband thinks the guy is great. I rate him a major :yawn1:

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I know nothing of Rob Bell. LOL..
No worries!

"I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except
Jesus Christ and him crucified" (1 Corinthians 2:2)

Upvote 0

PujolsNonRoidHomerHitter

He's not a man! He's a machine!
Feb 8, 2008
Missouri
Visit site
✟23,090.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think it does all boil down to this question. Do I perfectly understand the Bible, no. In fact, there is enough mystery in there for me to go my whole life without having to re question anything. However, what Rob doesn't understand is there are these things called the essential doctrines of the faith that NO ONE is allowed to "re imagine". I find it hard to believe that a Christian would find the Bible stale not "mysterious".

and what essential doctrine is he 're imagining'?

go cards

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

b.hopeful

Sharp as a razor, soft as a prayer
Jul 17, 2009
St.Louis metropolitan area
✟18,662.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The NOOMA series makes me want to gouge my eyes and plug my ears....blech! But Velvet Elvis was good reading.

You say "re imagine" but I prefer the prism analogy. Some people look at a prism and see a clear cut piece of glass. It's beautiful to them...they enjoy it. Others turn the prism until they see a rainbow. I just see people like Rob Bell as those that are seeing the rainbow. It's still the same item... a prism...but it's all how you experience it.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I never heard of Rob Bell, so of course i was compelled to check him out. I watched "Breath" on youtube.

I say "yes!" Whoa, he breaks it down, doesn't he? I gotta watch more.

He's on my playlist now.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.