Oct 3, 2004
Ontario Canada
Visit site
✟7,930.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It depends on the program. Some programs are geared towards being pastors, others are oriented towards Christian counsellors, or spiritual directors, or whatever. Others may lead on to becoming teachers or whatever. But if you are considering becoming a pastor, you should go to Bible college, OR the other route is to do a 4-yr university degree, then get a Masters in Divinity. It'll look nice to hang the diploma on the wall ... :)

Note of course that a degree is not TECHNICALLY required to be a pastor, anyone who shows they follow God and have an aptitude for the role of pastor can be a pastor, although each denomination has their own requirements.

Upvote 0

eliteflyers

Apr 5, 2007
Miami Beach, FL
Visit site
✟15,134.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i go to Zoe a bible college in miami beach.
but i dont think my bible college is like others... not sure though ive never been to another one. At my school you learn basically how to apply the bible to every area of your life, and how to become more like Christ. Just to give you an idea some of the classes ive taken are: the book of acts, all about the blood, chronicles of revival, marrige-to be or not to be, Evangelism, biblical worldveiw, submission and authority, and radical character training.
But i guess you could say the main part of the school is evangelism, we even have evanglism outreach as part of our classes, Where we go out on the street and witness to ppl.
just think of bible school as a training ground, its a place where you have the grace adn time to get everything that God has for you before stepping into your calling.
I would say every Christians should go to bible school not just the ones that feel called to ministry full time. IMO

hope this helped :D

Upvote 0
P

Ps145

I took classes at a local university and also a bible college. I graduated from a bible college that is now closed, but I will never forget the people and the great teachings. The school emphasized personal evangelism, christian education, and ministry.

IMO, the group of people who attend bible college are those with whom you want to establish those life long friendships. You learn the scriptures, not just about the scripture. You have a safe haven where you can develope your relationship with God with much less outside distraction. And while we all joked about those young ladies who were there to get their MRS, it's an ideal location to meet someone you can get to know quite well, and with whom you share core values.

Every day of my life for the last almost 29 years I have used things I've learned in bible college to help me along. I count my time in bible college as one of my greatest treasures. It helped me to learn how to articulate my faith and I can't imagine not having the use of those tools today.

That's not to say that everything is perfect. You will have your struggles and there will be times when you wonder what if you have gone to secular U. But IMO, you can't do better than attending a reputable bible college.

Upvote 0

Agrippaull

May 12, 2007
✟137.00
Faith
Christian
It's important to realize something. The pastoral system in the protestant way of doing things is wrong which was borrowed from the Roman Church system. It says you take these classes then get ordained, but those who don't go through the system can't be teachers and shepherds or rarely would be. This is wrong. This is not how God leads those in the 4-fold work (Eph. 4.11) of the Ministry for the Church. Apostles are directly commissioned by God whereas prophets, evangelists and teachers are gifted with prophecy, evangelizing and teaching. This gift does not come about by going to pastor school and getting a degree.

It is more likely someone who is a shepherd of God's peopld is one who does not go to pastor school, because he led by the Holy Spirit and has the gift of teaching. He does not fall upon man's requirements to get a designation. Nor does he join a denomination or independent group, but follows along the pathway of being appointed by an apostle if he is an elder, and locally works as a prophet, evangelist or teacher if he has these gifts. Only apostles work regionally. Let us return to the organization of the apostles. This will be needed before Christ returns.

Upvote 0

shadistarr

Nov 23, 2006
San Francisco
✟8,716.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I loved the idea of bible college when I was in High School, but I didn't have the money to go to one (even with financial aid) so I went to a public school. I couldn't be more thankful for "secular" education. With that said, I wouldn't mind going back, maybe and getting a certificate in Christian counselling or something of the sort. IMO, everyone should go to a public school and learn how to live their life as a Christain in the world! ... I'm definilty contemplating full time ministry. If God calls you to it go, regardless of where it is!

Upvote 0

aunt_kelly

Senior Veteran
Feb 16, 2007
✟12,570.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I go to bible college. The main purpose of my school is to prepare the students for ministry, whether it be part-time, full-time, or as a church layperson. I'm in the youth ministries concentration, preparing to work with youth groups or perhaps become a teacher etc..

The classes that I've taken are: OT Historical Books, Evangelism, Life of Christ, Systematic Theology and a general music class. Next semester I'm taking another OT Historical class, general psych, theology, computers, worldview, and a youth ministries class.

Basically, it's preparation for ministry and a biblical foundation for life. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums