What would you think of a modern day John the Baptist?

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
What would you think of a wilderness prophet in today's day and age? And what would you have thought of a wilderness prophet back in the 1st century? If God approved of a wilderness prophet in the 1st century, do you believe he'd approve of the same in the 21st century? What are your thoughts?

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
@Achilles6129 - He'd probably be French, they love eating insects ... well so long as they're covered in chocolate.

But I think he's probably be arrested for disturbing the peace, be sued for libel, and charged with hate crimes.

Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
@Achilles6129 - He'd probably be French, they love eating insects ... well so long as they're covered in chocolate.

But I think he's probably be arrested for disturbing the peace, be sued for libel, and charged with hate crimes.
So, what does that tell you about the nature of God?

Upvote 0

Sultan Of Swing

Jan 4, 2015
✟9,476.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
What would you think of a wilderness prophet in today's day and age? And what would you have thought of a wilderness prophet back in the 1st century? If God approved of a wilderness prophet in the 1st century, do you believe he'd approve of the same in the 21st century? What are your thoughts?
John's life in the wilderness was not one without purpose. He fulfilled prophecy and was heralding the coming of the Messiah.

If someone were to do that today, I would question why, and what Biblical instruction they find to do so? Are we all John the Baptist, to live like him?

If a Christian today were to go out into the wilderness and live like John, I don't see how they would gather together with the saints, be part of a church body or celebrate the Lord's Supper.

I don't see the purpose of a 'wilderness prophet' today.

The last prophet was John himself, and they were all looking forward to the Messiah.

With Jesus come, and us rejoicing in His reign and enjoying Him, I don't see why we'd need a wilderness prophet.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
John's life in the wilderness was not one without purpose. He fulfilled prophecy and was heralding the coming of the Messiah.

If someone were to do that today, I would question why, and what Biblical instruction they find to do so? Are we all John the Baptist, to live like him?

If a Christian today were to go out into the wilderness and live like John, I don't see how they would gather together with the saints, be part of a church body or celebrate the Lord's Supper.

I don't see the purpose of a 'wilderness prophet' today.

The last prophet was John himself, and they were all looking forward to the Messiah.

With Jesus come, and us rejoicing in His reign and enjoying Him, I don't see why we'd need a wilderness prophet.

there are different types of 'wilderness' around today.
sometimes it's found in 3rd world countries where we send missionaries,
sometimes it's found in the ghettoes, other times it's found in the corporate boardrooms, or
broadway, or the performing arts, or politics.

in short, anywhere that there is a shortage of Christians and people who live like they are Christians,
that is where you will find the wilderness.

why do we need a prophet? we need someone to go and explain to those who do not understand the
danger that they are living in, and that there is a better way to do life before that danger overtakes them.

Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
@Achilles6129 - absolutely nothing, John the baptist was iconic of the previous covenant which was merely a shadow of the body of Christ.

Doesn't really matter - the nature of God never changes. Here's my question for you: do you believe that God would approve of a modern day wilderness prophet?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
@Achilles6129 - Seriously? what did you ask? I must be exhausted. The passages that came to mind was about the kingdom, it is not in the wilderness, it is not in the hidden room, and about when the disciples asked if they should call down fire on the crowds like elijah and Jesus implied the devil was motivating them to say that.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
@Achilles6129 - I could see reasons why it would be accepted by God and also not. The reason why is because anything is possible with God. The reason why not because of the prophetic passage of false prophets wearing camel skins to deceive. Sometimes the image of the genuine article is used for nefarious reasons.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Achilles6129 said:
Since John the Baptizer was sent to herald the coming of the Messiah - Jesus - there's no point in another one. So there's no point in God sending - appointing, commissioning - another John the Baptizer. Therefore, God would not be pleased with such.

God has always been rather touchy about people who claim His special endorsement when He hasn't given such.

Reactions: jimmyjimmy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
I understand that John the Baptist served his purpose nearly 2,000 years ago. I'm curious as to what people would think of a modern-day prophet like John the Baptist because I think it helps show the radical nature of theology. These figures that we're all admiring inside of Scripture would in reality be considered oddballs today. Interesting, huh?

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
According to both gospels of Matthew and Mark, John wore clothes of camel hair with a leather belt and ate locusts and wild honey. I'm not sure how 'odd' that was at the time. That would be 'odd' today. Wait. I've got a camel hair jacket and I wear a leather belt! No locusts in my diet. Very little honey of any sort. John - according to some researchers - was reared by and lived with the Essene community for much of his early life. That group was not 'typical' for Jews of the era.

I'm wondering what would a "John the Baptist" sort of prophet-evangelist would look like today. There are some oddly dressed street corner preachers. Most of them go unheeded - and rightfully so. I suppose the danger exists one day 'we' will miss something important; but I'll trust God in the matter.

Truly, the secular world sees all 'us' Christians as a bit odd. We do march to the beat of a different drummer, as they say.

Reactions: Achilles6129
Upvote 0