Can somebody please pass the incense?
May 21, 2009
Dayton, OH
✟22,008.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In light of some of the recent discussion here about the OCA priest who openly advocated for accepting same-sex "marriage," and some responses posted by other priests, I thought I'd toss out some questions. I guess it's an assume-the-worst exercise, a what-would-you-do-if question. Since the same-sex issue is what's dominating discussion all over America these days, I'll stick with it, but really it could be a stand-in for "Sin X." All my scenarios revolve around you learning that your clergy, maybe your parish as a whole, have become anywhere from complacent, to accepting, to advocating for Sin X under the guise of compassion, or needing to be relevant. It could be adultery, it could be cohabitating sex. Or, (as others would surely point out), it could be complete apathy toward the poor, needy and suffering in your own community.

1. You learn that your priest has made peace with Sin X...maybe he now personally no longer opposes Sin X, or has decided that these people are better off being tolerated in Sin X rather than being driven away from church altogether. He allows them to continue attending services, but not communing, because they are still in unrepentant sin according to the teachings of the Church. At this stage, the priest has his own opinion, but is not willing to defy the teachings of the Church. (As in, he'd commune them if he could, but he won't take that step...still acts in submission to the Church).

2. Same as 1, only now, he's taken the step of communing them outside of the Liturgy. Maybe he brings it to them at home, or some other arrangement. You don't know whether this is bishop-approved or not, you just know it happens. Still, it has no direct impact upon your life, personally or liturgically. It's in the shadows, so to speak.

3. Same as 3, only now, the shadows have disappeared. The person/couple openly living in Sin X are now coming to the chalice. Neither they nor the priest makes any big deal of it. Nobody preaches about it. Nobody tries to change anyone's mind. Maybe Joe Parishoner would never even know it was happening without hearing about it from someone else. It's hiding in plain sight, so to speak.

4. Same as 4, only now everyone knows about it, and people/the priest are beginning to advocate for it. "Ya know, maybe it's really not such a big deal, maybe times they are a-changing, maybe we can't be effective witnesses to the world if we're viewed as unloving..." It starts being preached in sermons, the priest blogs about why it's time that Orthodoxy start changing its tune.

Assume your bishop responds by not wishing to make waves, and therefore does nothing at all...so...

Now to make it even more challenging, what would you do in these circumstances?

A) There's another church nearby in a different jurisdiction that does not accept this sin...but it's an "ethnic enclave" where you can't understand what's said and know you'll really never fit into their ethnic community.

B) There's NO other Orthodox church nearby. You're stuck.

Do you stay home and read the Fathers and try to be Orthodox? Do you find the closest thing you can and attend Sunday mornings, just not communing? what's more Orthodox? A Roman Catholic parish that sticks to its traditional teachings, or an Orthodox parish that communes unrepentant Sin X'ers?

Hopefully I'm making sense. Any one of us *could* find him or herself in any of the above situations.

Ignatius21

Can somebody please pass the incense?
May 21, 2009
Dayton, OH
✟22,008.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
jckstraw72 said:
well i certainly wouldn't stay home or go to a non-Orthodox church. we reject Donatism - the heresies and/or sins of the priest do not make the Eucharist not the Eucharist.

So you would continue attending your parish in all four of the above scenarios?

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
it's hard to say what i would do without actually being in the situation. i'm only saying i wouldn't stay home or go somewhere non-Orthodox. if there is another Orthodox parish i might very well go there, or who knows, maybe stay and try to fight the good fight from within. even a crappy parish is still the Church.

at least by Step 2 i would certainly want the bishop to know and probably even step 1, too.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I can't say what I would do. Is there even a possibility to go over the Bishop's head? I'd be pretty fearful of getting into Church hiererarchy, but if I thought I thought I saw the Church becoming not the Church (like stage 4), then I'd be asking those questions.

Stage 1 is not so much a concern for me as far as attending Church ... As long as the priest submits to the Church. Stage 2 I don't know - it's a bit "not my business". Are priests allowed and encouraged to commune privately in such cases? Perhaps it's actually for the best? But it's difficult to imagine a sin one might not at least try to deal with (I'm imagining cohabiting or adultery, etc. here too).

Certainly if nothing helped and it reached stage 4 and there was another Orthodox Church nearby, I would be attending and communing there at least part time.

But I'm learning that parishioners have a level of responsibility to the Church as well, so I doubt I would quietly slip away and do nothing at all, if it's clearly something that ought not to be done. I wouldn't start communing at another kind of Church though.

Beyond that, I'd have to be in the situation to say what I would do. If I could find a way to do it though, if the Church became completely corrupt here, I would be willing to look for a way to move to another country, if need be. If it went THAT far. God forbid.

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I do have some troubles with your characterization.

the OCA priest who openly advocated for accepting same-sex "marriage,"

He openly advocated asking questions and reconsidering things, without explicitly defining his intentions. You might say he implicitly advocated for accepting same-sex marriage.

In response to this priest, the metropolitan had the article taken down and reaffirmed the various OCA statements about marriage.

Anyway, in all cases, the appropriate thing to do is to complain to the bishop. Note that their bishop, whoever it is, has reaffirmed at every opportunity, the OCA statements on marriage. After that, it's a question of what the appropriate response by the bishop should be. I don't move diagonally, so it's not my call.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟565,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I may be the outlier here (both by affiliation and opinion) but allow me to express myself. Perhaps I am still tainted by 24 years of upbringing.

Anyhow, I often find myself outside of my church sphere due to the limited number of OO parishes in the US (outside of metropolitan areas). I am a firm believer in finding a church in one's community or very nearby. How can I recommend my parish to a seeker or participate fully in the fellowship of the church if it is a hardship for me to reach the place of worship?

I seek out the church which most closely represents my own perspective. This is usually a conservative and/or continuing Anglican church though I have worshipped with Eastern Catholics. I speak with the rector and sometimes we can agree sufficiently to commune, sometimes maybe not. If not, I continue searching but I am a proponent of the LOCAL church.

Upvote 0

xenia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2004
Ultimate West
✟26,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If it was the only parish within reasonable distance, I would stay and make myself a thorn in the side of the erring priest. If there was a nearby parish and I was not especially emotionally attached to my current one, I would switch without hesitation. I do attend an ethnic parish (it's the closest to my house) and the Liturgy is mostly in Slavonic but I have found the people to be extremely warm and welcoming so you never know!

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yeah the ethnic aspect is the least of all considerations to me.

My parish is ethnic. I have visited a number of parishes over the past year now, most ethnic, some not. I do not find the level of welcome to be very connected to the level of ethnicity.

The connection I feel to the congregation is important to me, but so is the connection I feel to the priest (maybe that is less now that I'm no longer a catechumen, and any priest can offer the Eucharist, and I could go elsewhere for confession if necessary). At this point, it would probably be mostly how involved I could be and what kind of schedule the Church offers, as well as the congregation that would be the top two factors. Assuming of course (for the sake of the OP) that neither parish was edging into serious error. That would quickly become a primary consideration.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
@gzt, a lot of people disagree with your interpretation of Fr Robert's article, including the approximately 60 or so people who commented on the original site that article was posted on, which included clergy from all jurisdictions. Plus, the clergy association of Houston, a pan Orthodox association, also disagrees with your interpretation. They wrote a letter and signed their names to it. So I think we'll go with them rather than yours.

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
I would say the OCA is already at numbers 3 and 4

no, "the OCA" is not there. some people within the OCA are there.

people didn't mention problems in other jurisdictions to distract from any problems in the OCA, but rather to question the wisdom of your very specifically anti-OCA crusade.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yes they did. I and many others I know have decided not to have anything to do with the OCA, especially those I know with children. If I had kids, I would do the same thing.

We all make mistakes, but, the biggest thing about this is the complete lack of leadership from the hierarchy within the OCA, for years and years and years this is being tolerated for reasons that we cannot figure out why. And its not just this issue, but a whole host of issues (financial scandal, Metro Jonah, etc).

So I think it is reasonable to be leery of a jurisdiction that has behaved like the OCA has. And to bring up problems in other jurisdictions is a red herring.

But keep making excuses for the OCA, God willing, something will be done about the OCA at the upcoming council in 2016.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jckstraw72

Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
not everyone sees a need to wall themselves off from a legitimate member of the Body of Christ. doesn't mean we're making excuses. i agree that Met. Tikhon's response was weak, but that's not the same as the OCA openly advocating homosexuality. i certainly was taught no such thing in Seminary.

Dcn. Andrei Kuraev also claims there is such things going on in the MP, and a good friend of mine who studied in Seminary in Belgrade told me there was plenty of poofterism going on there. I mean, we can't just go around walling ourselves off from the Church because sin exists within it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
"openly advocating" means explicitly saying it. The subtext was perhaps clear to those people, and indeed it was clear to me as well, but he did not finish the line of thought. It was subtext.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Are there clergy in the MP teaching such things? You can say for sure they are teaching it in the OCA. Please see my post with the link to an article I posted here a few days ago. You will see that one of the comments claims an OCA priest openly taught such things to a group of youth in New Mexico. BTW, Fr Robert isn't the only incident. There were incidences of this at St Nicholas Cathedral in DC where I used to go. Many have left St Nicholas because of this. There's also a deacon I believe who is a practicing homosexual who was ordained by Bishop Benjamin in California. There are more incidences, but it goes to show it is apparently a widespread phenomena in the OCA, its not limited to just a few individuals here and there. And the fact that no hierarch has spoken out about this and done something, speaks volumes.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
"Some months ago now we were contacted by a Coptic family in our state to see about coming to their home to hold a liturgy. This family (one of only two Coptic Orthodox families in the city) had befriended some Americans who they said were interested in Orthodoxy, but could not make the several hours drive to our parish, as they were older folks. Of course we gladly came, the priest, two deacons, and about six laypersons including myself. It was the first ever Coptic Orthodox liturgy at this location, which was pretty neat, I think. But I was surprised to meet the American friends of this Coptic family, who turned out to be a Mexican lady and her Anglo husband who were actually baptized members of the OCA. I asked them as tactfully as I could what made them interested in the Coptic Orthodox Church in particular, as it is not usual for converts to Eastern Orthodoxy to later convert to Coptic Orthodoxy (at least not in America). Their answer shocked me: Apparently the priest of the local OCA mission had taken to advocating for homosexual marriage and the normalization/celebration of homosexual "lifestyle" (for lack of a better way to put it) when ministering to the local youth! They said they had sat in on some of this priest's lectures and been really scandalized by what he said, because they knew enough even as recent converts to know that what he was preaching to those present was at odds with the church's historical and current stance on such things.

Before that I had never heard of such a thing, and it was shocking for me to hear this from people who had experienced such vileness in their new home. I figured the EO were like us on this issue,"

Upvote 0