What would you do if your teen told you. They were fondling their younger sibling private parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
If the victim is a minor, they don't have a choice. At least they didn't back in 1988, when I went through it.

I am glad you were able to restore a relationship with your brother.

Unless I'm mistaken all licensed therapists, psychiatrists, teachers, and doctors are still mandated reporters of child abuse in every state in America. It's one of many reasons the Duggar parents have been criticized for their claim they'd obtained appropriate counseling and treatment for Josh and his victims, because if they had taken him and the girls to physicians and professional counselors, those people would have been required by law to report him. Law enforcement officers are also mandated reporters, but the state trooper the Duggars presented Josh to for a "very stern talk" in 2003 - a full year after the alleged abuse occurred - was a personal family friend who apparently failed to fulfill his legal obligation to report the abuse because no other police action was taken at that time. Despite this, that conversation still constituted a "confession to law enforcement" and the clock on the statute of limitations began to tick. It was that police officer's probable (it can't be confirmed due to privacy laws) dereliction of duty that ultimately led to it being impossible to file charges against Josh.

In 2006 when the family was interviewed by law enforcement after tips regarding the allegations had been received, it would have been possible to prosecute Josh for the offenses that he’d allegedly committed against his sisters and another child in 2002 if the 2003 "confession" hadn't been made. Arkansas has an extended statute of limitations on sex crimes against minors, but it only applies in cases where the abuse has never been reported to law enforcement.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2015/may/23/silence-led-to-no-case-for-duggar-20150/

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue Wren
Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
No it's not, It's on the therapist, because they have to turn in illegal activity. Now, If she doesn't take her child to therapy or turn it in, it's on her.
Nope, sorry it's on the parent. If they know it's going on and don't report it they are ensuring that another victim as sexual abusers like this are rarely singular events.

That's the problem with alot of parents today... it's someone else responsibility.... never their own. It's your kid, own it.

But just because a person prosecutes. Doesn't meant anything will happen.
Do tell.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟321,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I wonder, if the parents, of the other victim, agreed with how the Duggars, handled it. If that victim, felt compelled to stay silent.
Maybe, they shared the same belief, so maybe they agreed with the punishment. It's doesn't sound like ,they turned it in to the cops. Unless they did turn it in, and the matter was taken care of, the prosecutors were okay with the punishment.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟321,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Nope, sorry it's on the parent. If they know it's going on and don't report it they are ensuring that another victim as sexual abusers like this are rarely singular events.

That's the problem with alot of parents today... it's someone else responsibility.... never their own. It's your kid, own it.
But if the child's in therapy over the sexual abuse, then the therapist will report it. I'm not saying don't report it. I was just hinting to the the lady that said she wouldn't turn it in. But would take her child to therapy. Well the therapist is mandated to turn it in.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟321,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Most times, if it's a teen or a child they will try to get them help. Not send them to juvenile hall or later prison. They might put the offender in foster care or group home. Also a lot of sexual offenders , just get pleaded down. Because it's very hard to prove if a child's involved. Since the Mcmartin preschool and many kids lie, or claim the wrong person did it. Also if a family members are involved, then family members try to get the victim to lie.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟321,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well hopefully the right wing media goes after her now, and she loses her job and career and becomes a raving homeless women.

I can't think of any higher justice than that, lol.
I don't know how that help anyone involved. Even when child molesters get out of jail. They are encourage to get a job and get rehabilitated. Maybe encourage her and Josh to go to therapy. I think it's best if they both have jobs.

Upvote 0

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The majority of pediatricians, child psychologists, and rational and intelligent people of the world could also explain to you why a 7-year-old inappropriately touching a younger sibling in a burst of curiosity is diametrically different from an adolescent fondling multiple prepubescent siblings multiple times. Adolescent pedophilia is the sexual attraction by teens to prepubescent children who are at least three to five years younger, and is clinically and morally different from a prepubescent child inappropriately touching another prepubescent child out of curiosity in isolated incidents. Age is what is most critical. It's not uncommon for young children to be inquisitive about younger siblings and their peers and to "play doctor" or otherwise explore. That's not comparable to someone in adolescence inappropriately fondling a child he is nearly thrice the age of while she slept.

How does touching herself in the bed she shared with her sister while her sister slept conceivably compare to sneaking into a bedroom and fondling girls while they slept? How does "bribing" her sister for a kiss compare to a teenager molesting the genitals of a five-year-old in her sleep?

This.

No. Her statements simply need to be considered within the context, just as anything you write should be as well. By the way, what do you mean by "disregard females; acquire currency"?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Disregard+Females,+Acquire+Currency

Okay. At this point I just have to directly quote Robin Abcarian when she wrote, "If you believe for one second that Dunham was actually comparing herself to an adult child molester engaged in grooming behavior when she wrote that she bribed her sister “with three pieces of candy if I could kiss her on the lips for five seconds … anything a sexual predator might do to woo a small suburban girl,” your critical thinking skills are on life support."

You haven't referred to any other incidents where she inappropriately touched private parts on her sister's body. You've referenced her touching herself while her sister was fast asleep in the bed they shared, and her "bribing" her sister to kiss her. In the same paragraph she also wrote about how she bribed her sister to let her put outlandish makeup on her for play.

Why is it at all relevant if you're convinced?

Lol.

Bolded parts, by me.

I read the whole discussion roundabout, you used reason, it was discarded, round again. You did a superb job, yes, but it's not so much, worth the while, is it? It's a false equivalency, that is obvious to most people, willing to use reason (& look at the facts,) without need for explanation, beyond the basics, yes? 14 / 7, molestation / masturbation, kisses for candy / fondling. I don't know, who Montel Williams is, but, I saw a retweet of his, that says all that needs, to be said, lol. I removed the tweet, which was meant as humourous, succinct summary, from an American POV, lol, if that caused offence, but, I think it was on-target. This is a red herring, that is showing disrespect, & mockery, to true sexual assault victims, of both male & female perpetrators.

Edit to bold my post, lol. I won't get into a roundabout, no. I will say: It's a disgusting straw man, & flaming libel, to say that people, who see the false equivalency in this, based on facts, don't care about victims of sexual abuse, if the perpetrator is female.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Most times, if it's a teen or a child they will try to get them help. Not send them to juvenile hall or later prison. They might put the offender in foster care or group home. Also a lot of sexual offenders , just get pleaded down. Because it's very hard to prove if a child's involved. Since the Mcmartin preschool and many kids lie, or claim the wrong person did it. Also if a family members are involved, then family members try to get the victim to lie.

This is the way, that it is in Sweden also. A teen, who molested children in the home, would be removed, put in a care facility, given treatment.

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I read the whole discussion roundabout, you used reason, it was discarded, round again. You did a superb job, yes, but it's not so much, worth the while, is it? It's a false equivalency, that is obvious to most people, willing to use reason, without need for explanation, beyond the basics, yes?
Where was this superb job? All I saw was someone ignoring the sexual grooming of a child all the while bleating that, 'IT'S NOT THE SAME THING".

I don't know, who Montel Williams is, but, I saw a retweet of his, that says all that needs, to be said, lol.
Montel Williams is a man who made his fortune exploiting the misery of others on national tv.

2cnw1u8.jpg

Pointing out that when Dunham admitted to sexually assaulting her sister and grooming her the same way a pedophile would got ignored while this is being treated like a end of world event isn't deflection.

I'm sorry but Williams and you not caring about the victims of sexual assault as long as the perpetrator is a female is why we can't have nice things.

Reactions: Gadarene
Upvote 0

FreeSpirit74

Contra Dancing Pagan Warrior
Mar 15, 2006
Troy, NY temporarily displaced to Schenectady, NY
Visit site
✟11,834.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am glad you were able to restore a relationship with your brother.

If he slips up again, now that he is out, there won't be one. I don't care if he has to bite clean through his lip and bash his head against the nearest brick wall in order to distract himself, he MUST live a life that shows that he understands that living free is better than giving in to whatever sexual temptation is in front of him at that moment. That's something that only he can decide and put into action; no therapist can put that strength into a person.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What bothers me is that he did it at least 5 times to children including his sister(s).

There were repeated offences, over a year, and the parents, leaving him, in the house after knowing, was an offence, also. They jeopardised, their other children, for Josh. He was 14-15 yrs old, the youngest, 4-5, and would molest them, whilst they were sleeping.

http://defamer.gawker.com/duggar-dads-political-platform-incest-should-be-punish-1706929035

"But what does Jim Bob think of his own response to his son’s familial abuse? In a brief statement to People, Jim Bob and Michelle said last week that “that dark and difficult time caused us to seek God like never before.” Maybe that’s because Jim Bob publicly stated during his 2002 campaign for U.S. Senate that he thinks incest should be punishable by death."

Awwwwkwaaaaard...

Tis.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟321,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There were repeated offences, over a year, and the parents, leaving him, in the house after knowing, was an offence, also. They jeopardised, their other children, for Josh. He was 14-15 yrs old, the youngest, 4-5, and would molest them, whilst they were sleeping.
I agree. But I think they sent him to work at someone's place, while he was supposed to get treatment. At least that's what they called it. I would hope they would put alarms on the door at night. I know some foster parents put alarms on doors. when a kid sexually acts out. It was never mentioned how long he lived some where else.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OGM

Mar 22, 2010
✟11,065.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I really have a problem figuring out how that was allowed to happen. I don't know if I will ever figure that out.:anguished:

Upvote 0

OGM

Mar 22, 2010
✟11,065.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree. But I think they sent him to work at someone's place, while he was supposed to get treatment. At least that's what they called it. I would hope they would put alarms on the door at night. I know some foster parents put alarms on doors. when a kid sexually acts out. It was never mentioned how long he lived some where else.
I wonder what kind of treatment he was supposedly getting? Also it seems odd that law was not involved more.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
If he slips up again, now that he is out, there won't be one. I don't care if he has to bite clean through his lip and bash his head against the nearest brick wall in order to distract himself, he MUST live a life that shows that he understands that living free is better than giving in to whatever sexual temptation is in front of him at that moment. That's something that only he can decide and put into action; no therapist can put that strength into a person.

A choir of people saying "Amen" would still be insufficient for your statement. You're unequivocally, absolutely correct. You were gracious and generous to rebuild a relationship with him, and it's more than reasonable that you'd sever ties if he repeated the offenses.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
I read the whole discussion roundabout, you used reason, it was discarded, round again. You did a superb job, yes, but it's not so much, worth the while, is it? It's a false equivalency, that is obvious to most people, willing to use reason

Hate to break it to you, kiddo, but merely asserting you're using reason doesn't mean you are - and it falls especially flat when you keep strawmanning.

without need for explanation, beyond the basics, yes? 14 / 7, molestation / masturbation, kisses for candy / fondling

More like 14/14, sexual abuse / sexual abuse, grooming/"finding" pebbles in her vagina, grooming, and sexual behaviour in the presence of minor.

I don't know, who Montel Williams is, but, I saw a retweet of his, that says all that needs, to be said, lol.

It also might be worth learning that simply insulting people is rarely "all that needs to be said". Then again, this is a typical reaction of those who ignore sexually abusive actions committed by females.

You may also want to watch the flaming.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.