What would happen if same-sex marriage were legalised?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,345.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
If you let Gays marry next thing you know they will want to serve openly in the armed forces. The push back from the Religious right will result in all gay units.

Then it will be a race to see if it is a Gay mens unit or a Bull Dyke unit that replaces the 442nd.

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
This is a Christian web site and the perspective of many members here is Christian. God's commandments take precedence over anything men might prefer be it sex with a member of the same sex, divorce at whim, theft ad infinitum. Men cannot create a 'right' to do what God condemns and to equate racism with distaste for the abomination of homosexuality is bizarre to say the least.

Yet this country allows a lot of thing that God doesn't allow. For example, God says that we should have no gods before Him, yet the US has created the "right" to put other gods first, as the first amendment to the Constitution. As you point out, most commandments are ignored by the US -- in fact only a couple of the 10 commandments (murder and theft) are even illegal in the US, and that is two laws that have existed in pretty much every country since the beginning of the world.

The fact is that gay marriage laws would have almost no impact on Christians in the US -- just as it has had little impact in Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut, and Iowa. There will be no "hate speech" laws that prohibit Christians from preaching against homosexuality. Churches will not be forced to marry a gay couple (nor has a church been legally required to perform the marriage of a gay couple anywhere that gay marriage is legal, including in countries that don't have strong religious protections like the US). The negative consequences claimed by the anti-gay marriage groups are nothing more than fear mongering.

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
"Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES!"

Had to be done.

Gozer the Gozerian... good evening. As a duly designated representative of the City, County and State of New York, I order you to cease any and all supernatural activity and return forthwith to your place of origin or to the nearest convenient parallel dimension.

Reactions: hollyda
Upvote 0

hollyda

To read makes our speaking English good
Mar 25, 2011
One Square Foot of Real Estate
✟17,438.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Gozer the Gozerian... good evening. As a duly designated representative of the City, County and State of New York, I order you to cease any and all supernatural activity and return forthwith to your place of origin or to the nearest convenient parallel dimension.

^^ :thumbsup:

"Why worry? Each one of us is carrying an unlicensed nuclear accelerator on his back."

Upvote 0

BondiHarry

Mar 29, 2011
✟17,413.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Yet this country allows a lot of thing that God doesn't allow. For example, God says that we should have no gods before Him, yet the US has created the "right" to put other gods first, as the first amendment to the Constitution. As you point out, most commandments are ignored by the US -- in fact only a couple of the 10 commandments (murder and theft) are even illegal in the US, and that is two laws that have existed in pretty much every country since the beginning of the world.

Actually theft by government proxy is quite common and the murder of unborn babies is also 'legal' here in the United States. As for freedom of religion God is not afraid of His truth facing competition from the various other religions that men have invented. Jesus did not teach anyone to establish a theocracy, for those who will He simply says take up your cross daily and follow Me.

The fact is that gay marriage laws would have almost no impact on Christians in the US -- just as it has had little impact in Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut, and Iowa. There will be no "hate speech" laws that prohibit Christians from preaching against homosexuality. Churches will not be forced to marry a gay couple (nor has a church been legally required to perform the marriage of a gay couple anywhere that gay marriage is legal, including in countries that don't have strong religious protections like the US). The negative consequences claimed by the anti-gay marriage groups are nothing more than fear mongering.

Uh huh, considering the assurances that were given regarding the financial impact of establishing a Federal income tax, Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, a prescription drug benefit and Obamacare, creating 'no fault' divorce and numerous other changes in society, excuse me if I don't have a rosey feeling about your assurances of what would happen if gays gain the right to sue those who consider their lifestyle dysfunctional and an affront to God.

Upvote 0

new_wine

Citizen
Dec 30, 2010
✟16,339.00
Faith
Christian
Dipsomania was removed and renamed alcoholism and called a disease.

Why?

Because drunks don't want to be called mentally ill.

The good news is that this is so very hypothetical. The Human Genome Project has looked at stuff like this and found there is more biological oomph behind schizophrenia than same-sex attraction. According to Dr. Francis Collins, head of the project, if any given homosexual male had an identical twin, the odds that the twin would not be homosexual are about 80%. The decision to remove SSA from the DSM some decades ago was largely political and done with very little science and research involved. Recently the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists rejected a proposal to ban reorientation therapy as unethical. As more and more research is done on the diminishing of unwanted SSA, more and more progress is being made in the understanding of its causes and what treatments are most effective. Mainstream therapy is waking up to the reality that orientation is changeable, and, as former APA president Dr. Robert Perloff said "politics has trumped science". I expect that over the next ten years pass you'll gradually see the disappearance of parades in the name of a certain cardinal sin, as people realize they have been championing the poison and demonizing the remedy

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
First, the divorce rate would explode because homosexuals are unnaturally promiscuous. Second, God would probably destroy civilization, because he doesn't want people to be perverse.
If you're being serious... what's your source for these statistics? Why hasn't God destroyed those civilisations that already legalise same-sex marriage?

If you're being a Poe, congrats, you've fooled us all :p

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Actually theft by government proxy is quite common and the murder of unborn babies is also 'legal' here in the United States.
Please stick to the topic at hand.

As for freedom of religion God is not afraid of His truth facing competition from the various other religions that men have invented. Jesus did not teach anyone to establish a theocracy, for those who will He simply says take up your cross daily and follow Me.
Then if a state legalises same-sex marriage, there'll be no repercussions, right?

Uh huh, considering the assurances that were given regarding the financial impact of establishing a Federal income tax, Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, a prescription drug benefit and Obamacare, creating 'no fault' divorce and numerous other changes in society, excuse me if I don't have a rosey feeling about your assurances of what would happen if gays gain the right to sue those who consider their lifestyle dysfunctional and an affront to God.
People already have the right to sue those who consider interracial marriage a dysfunctional lifestyle and an affront to God. Why should your condemnation of same-sex unions be protected from lawsuits, but someone else's condemnation of interracial unions not be protected from lawsuits?

Again, I'm genuinely interested in hearing your answer, so please don't hand-wave with "Oh, but they're so obviously different!".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Exactly what it says on the tin. What would happen if same-sex marriage were legalised? Suppose, tomorrow, all the worlds governments unanimously passed legislation that allowed two men or two women to sign a marriage contract, or otherwise be legally considered a married couple, with no legal distinction between a same-sex marriage and an opposite-sex one.

In that scenario, what do you think would be the political, sociological, and economic ramifications?

NOTE: THIS IS NOT A THREAD TO DISCUSS THE MORALITY OF SAME-SEX MARRIAGE, OR WHETHER IT SHOULD BE LEGALISED - JUST THE RAMIFICATIONS IF IT WERE LEGALISED.

About the only thing that would happen is I might get an invite to my grandsons wedding then.

Upvote 0

Chris81

Servant to Christ
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa
✟11,860.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Exactly what it says on the tin. What would happen if same-sex marriage were legalised? Suppose, tomorrow, all the worlds governments unanimously passed legislation that allowed two men or two women to sign a marriage contract, or otherwise be legally considered a married couple, with no legal distinction between a same-sex marriage and an opposite-sex one.

In that scenario, what do you think would be the political, sociological, and economic ramifications?

NOTE: THIS IS NOT A THREAD TO DISCUSS THE MORALITY OF SAME-SEX MARRIAGE, OR WHETHER IT SHOULD BE LEGALISED - JUST THE RAMIFICATIONS IF IT WERE LEGALISED.

Robots and Space Aliens would take over the world!

Upvote 0

Schroeder

Veteran
Jun 10, 2005
OHIO. home of THE Ohio State Buckeyes
✟11,248.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

your premise in how to answer sort of limits it to the answer you want to hear. In a world were reproduction is a need for survival i think its a bad idea. thats a worldly evolution theory answer. Its against nature in large degree. And there is a thing such as civil union. So its answered isnt it.

outside of that without absolute morals all thats left is anarchy. the strongest rule and they set the moral standard. which usually isnt very good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lux et lex

light and law
Jan 8, 2009
✟12,029.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes...reproduction is needed for survival. So...question for you...

Do you believe if same-sex marriage is illegal that homosexuals will reproduce because they can't get married the the person they love so they'll settle for someone of the opposite sex?

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private

Sure, there were assurances given in the cases you are mentioning but none of them had even the force of law, much less Constitutional issues. The examples I am talking about have the protection of the Constitution. It's a lot like the difference between buying a $5 lock from Wal-Mart to protect your house to hiring a top security firm to protect your house.

Further, give me an example where a gay people, in any of the areas where gay marriage is legal, has forced a church to marry them. The problem for you is that there isn't one. Gays merely want to be treated equally as citizens. There is no factual basis for the fear the anti-gay groups spread.

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
^^ :thumbsup:

"Why worry? Each one of us is carrying an unlicensed nuclear accelerator on his back."

Hee hee hee! "Get her!" That was your whole plan, huh, "get her." Very scientific.

Maren(to quote again: "I don't have to take this abuse from you, I've got hundreds of people dying to abuse me.")

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.