What would happen if same-sex marriage were legalised?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondiHarry

Mar 29, 2011
✟9,913.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
being "married" carries with a whole bunch of legal and social benefits -- most of which are conferred by our own government.

Obviously which is why the errors the government has made in legislation and court rulings play such an important part of the gay marriage campaign. An employer who extends benefits to the spouse of an employee could be sued for discriminating against the same sex partner of a 'married' gay couple if they were inclined to refuse to extend the same benefits to such couples that they extend to heterosexual couples.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
What would happen?

The real point of gay marriage would come out which is forcing those who disagree with such unions to recognize them or face legal sanctions.
The only people they want to recognise their unions is the State and those employed by the state.

It would take advantage of the Supreme Court's flawed ruling that people have a 'right' not to be discriminated against (even though that can't be found anywhere in the Constitution)
Does it need to be? The Constitution recognises that certain rights exist, but doesn't preclude that other rights exist. It is entirely constitutional for the Supreme Court to recognise rights not explicitly laid out in the Constitution.

and this 'right' takes precedence over property rights (which can be found in the Constitution) so for if example a Christian couple owned a bed and breakfast and refused to cater to homosexual couples they could be sued for discrimination.
If their service was a public one, sure. If their service was a private one, no. They could easily discriminate against who they let stay in their private home, but not who they let stay in their publically-available business.

I wonder, would you be so supportive of a Christian couple who refused to cater to interracial couples? Or would you support the couples' right to sue for discrimination? I'm genuinely interested in your answer to this question, so please don't hand-wave it away with something as trite as "Oh, race and sexual orientation are completely different" - that would rather miss the point.

It would make preaching God's word 'hate speech' when homosexuality is identified as an abomination to God ... and of course it would be one more affront to God.
Not at all: freedom of speech is one of the highest and most protected rights in the US, and you don't see anti-gay speech being censored in those countries and US states where same-sex marriage has been legalised.

Gays right now can have a ceremony, exchange vows and rings, declare themselves 'married' and to hell with what anyone else thinks about it. That they are not content with this just shows there is an agenda beyond the right to 'marry'.
Indeed: they want legally recognised marriage.

Upvote 0

hollyda

To read makes our speaking English good
Mar 25, 2011
One Square Foot of Real Estate
✟17,438.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Obviously which is why the errors the government has made in legislation and court rulings play such an important part of the gay marriage campaign. An employer who extends benefits to the spouse of an employee could be sued for discriminating against the same sex partner of a 'married' gay couple if they were inclined to refuse to extend the same benefits to such couples that they extend to heterosexual couples.

If you were legally restricted to the point where the only way you could marry a person of the opposite gender was in the same way you say gays can get "married" now, would you say that's fair?

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Well, yes, that happens whenever anyone is married. So that would indeed be an affect of same-sex marriage being legalised - but so what? It's not a bad thing.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Seriously..... The foundation of society.......structure not chaos. Five generations from now they won't know what a family looks like.

Really? I'm having a hard time believing that. :wave:
tulc(suspects they will look just like now actually) :)

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Obviously which is why the errors the government has made in legislation and court rulings play such an important part of the gay marriage campaign.

If you're calling the bestowal of special privileges for married couples an "error," I'm inclined to agree.

An employer who extends benefits to the spouse of an employee could be sued for discriminating against the same sex partner of a 'married' gay couple if they were inclined to refuse to extend the same benefits to such couples that they extend to heterosexual couples.

If an employer signs into a contract with an employee extending benefits to a spouse, that employer is bound by the contract. The only legal remedies are to either include all married couples, or none at all.

Certainly an employer is not required to extend benefits, although they may have some difficulty hiring unless they do. But hey, it's his business; he has the right to manage it as poorly as he wants.

Upvote 0

hollyda

Mar 25, 2011
✟17,438.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
First, the divorce rate would explode because homosexuals are unnaturally promiscuous. Second, God would probably destroy civilization, because he doesn't want people to be perverse.

What's frightening is I can't tell if this is serious or satire.

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Alright! But what if you're wrong?

If we're wrong, we go to jail, peacefully, quietly! But if I'm right...you, Lenny, will have saved the lives, of millions of registered voters.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hollyda

Mar 25, 2011
✟17,438.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Alright! But what if you're wrong?

If we're wrong, we go to jail, peacefully, quietly! But if I'm right...you, Lenny, will have saved the lives, of millions of registered voters.

...are you the Key Master? o_O :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The real point of gay marriage would come out which is forcing those who disagree with such unions to recognize them or face legal sanctions.

Yes, very much like how if you discriminate against someone applying for a job based on their color, you will face sanctions. And to hell with people who disagree.

It would take advantage of the Supreme Court's flawed ruling that people have a 'right' not to be discriminated against (even though that can't be found anywhere in the Constitution)

Except for the part that explains how people are all equal.

(this is the part where you contend that the constitution says "all MEN are CREATED equal". It doesn't say anything about women, people who don't own property, people of color, etc. So, when our constitution says "All men are created equal", but the founding fathers all shot each other a glance with a smile and said "We know what we mean. All white men who own property are created equal, and then slowly over time, equality is rationed out through the population." Yes, this is the part where you say what I have just typed.)

and this 'right' takes precedence over property rights (which can be found in the Constitution)

Yes it does; just bc you have a sign that says "whites only" on your property doesn't make it legal to do so, JUST BC ITS ON YOUR PROPERTY.

Wow; people think propriety over material stuff is more important than HUMAN RIGHTS. lol sheeeeeesh, we still live in the dark ages herew in the USA dont we folks? Can I get an amen from my foreign brothas and sistas?

so for if example a Christian couple owned a bed and breakfast and refused to cater to homosexual couples they could be sued for discrimination.

Same would go for a Christian couple who own a bed and breakfast and refuse to cater to people bc of their skin color can be sued for discrimination.

It would make preaching God's word 'hate speech' when homosexuality is identified as an abomination to God ... and of course it would be one more affront to God.

Well here in the USA we don't make laws based upon what one religion (or multiple religions for that matter) say. We make laws based upon the pragmatism those laws can serve.

Gays right now can have a ceremony, exchange vows and rings, declare themselves 'married' and to hell with what anyone else thinks about it. That they are not content with this just shows there is an agenda beyond the right to 'marry'.

Yes; and to hell with people who are bigoted and discriminating. and I'm all for that secret agenda to marginalize and root out those bigots and hurt their chances for success in society bc simply they have been hurting others' chance for success in society based upoin things like religion, race, creed, sex, and sexual orientation for the last, oh, THOUSANDS OF YEARS.

Reactions: hollyda
Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...are you the Key Master? o_O :thumbsup:

Are you the gatekeeper?

(fav movie of all time; can't wait for Bill Murray to stop whining and just ok the script for the next movie; I don't care how bad its going to be, I just want it to exist.....or I should submit them my own copy.)

Upvote 0

hollyda

Mar 25, 2011
✟17,438.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you the gatekeeper?

(fav movie of all time; can't wait for Bill Murray to stop whining and just ok the script for the next movie; I don't care how bad its going to be, I just want it to exist.....or I should submit them my own copy.)

The flowers are still standing!

(one of mine, too. I could quote the whole thing when I was 4. Once I grew up, I understood why it was funny. >.>)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hollyda

Mar 25, 2011
✟17,438.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pretty sure he is kidding; there is no such thing as "unnaturally promiscuous". :angel:

I hope so, though I've heard the same sentiment out of the mouths of people who believed it. :doh:

Upvote 0

BondiHarry

Mar 29, 2011
✟9,913.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes, very much like how if you discriminate against someone applying for a job based on their color, you will face sanctions. And to hell with people who disagree.

Except for the part that explains how people are all equal.

(this is the part where you contend that the constitution says "all MEN are CREATED equal". It doesn't say anything about women, people who don't own property, people of color, etc. So, when our constitution says "All men are created equal", but the founding fathers all shot each other a glance with a smile and said "We know what we mean. All white men who own property are created equal, and then slowly over time, equality is rationed out through the population." Yes, this is the part where you say what I have just typed.)

Yes it does; just bc you have a sign that says "whites only" on your property doesn't make it legal to do so, JUST BC ITS ON YOUR PROPERTY.

Wow; people think propriety over material stuff is more important than HUMAN RIGHTS. lol sheeeeeesh, we still live in the dark ages herew in the USA dont we folks? Can I get an amen from my foreign brothas and sistas?

Same would go for a Christian couple who own a bed and breakfast and refuse to cater to people bc of their skin color can be sued for discrimination.

Well here in the USA we don't make laws based upon what one religion (or multiple religions for that matter) say. We make laws based upon the pragmatism those laws can serve.

Yes; and to hell with people who are bigoted and discriminating. and I'm all for that secret agenda to marginalize and root out those bigots and hurt their chances for success in society bc simply they have been hurting others' chance for success in society based upoin things like religion, race, creed, sex, and sexual orientation for the last, oh, THOUSANDS OF YEARS.

This is a Christian web site and the perspective of many members here is Christian. God's commandments take precedence over anything men might prefer be it sex with a member of the same sex, divorce at whim, theft ad infinitum. Men cannot create a 'right' to do what God condemns and to equate racism with distaste for the abomination of homosexuality is bizarre to say the least.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Men cannot create a 'right' to do what God condemns and to equate racism with distaste for the abomination of homosexuality is bizarre to say the least.

It always amuses me when someone says something cannot be done after we do it.

Upvote 0

hollyda

Mar 25, 2011
✟17,438.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is a Christian web site and the perspective of many members here is Christian. God's commandments take precedence over anything men might prefer be it sex with a member of the same sex, divorce at whim, theft ad infinitum. Men cannot create a 'right' to do what God condemns and to equate racism with distaste for the abomination of homosexuality is bizarre to say the least.

Perhaps, but the topic of this forum was about legislating something in the United States, and the legislation itself would, by the Constitutional decree of "separation of Church and state," would not consider "God's law", rather the equality of all US citizens, regardless of race, gender, or orientation. This is a convenient way to side-step the issue without bothering to formulate an actual response.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.