What was before creation? Discussion [Moved from Formal Debate]

F

frogman2x

Don't feel like typing everything out again, this is a video I made, I am not sure how to embed it, so if it did not embed properly just click the link to get to the video and you can discuss it in the comment section of the video if you are a youtube user or just discuss it here, either way is cool.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeRWomDkcJM[/youtube]

^^^If that didnt work here is the external link

What was before creation? (Gen. Chapter 1 Discussion) - YouTube

The Shekinah glory of God---the omniopetence of God---the omnipresence of God---the omniscience of God.

kermit

Upvote 0
N

n2thelight

I'm not following this argument. You're saying that a possible meaning of hayah is became, and therefore it must mean this?

Any word can mean virtually anything in a certain context. What about the context here in Genesis 1 do you think mandates the translation "became."

BTW, there is not a single translation out there to my knowledge that uses this translation here in Genesis 1. Why do you suppose that is, if it's such a slam dunk case? And why do you believe was should be translated became? Do you think all occurrences of hayah should be translated became? Please explain.

It's all in this statement

Look at the text carefully you should see pretty clear the intended meaning. To paraphrase: In the beginning God created something, and here is what its initial form was like.

Reading my initial post,you should have seen that God did not create this earth in a state of ruin,He created it perfect,then He destroyed it....

He Did Not Create a Chaos

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance: Hebrew and Chaldee Dictionary:

"1961. hayah ... to exist, i.e. be or become, come to pass."
"8414. tohuw ... to lie waste; a desolation (of surface)."

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
2 And the earth was [or became — see Gen. 2:7; Strong's: hayah] without form [Strong's: tohuw], and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

[Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became [Strong's: hayah] a living soul.]

Isaiah 45:18 For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain [Strong's: tohuw] [RSV: he did not create a chaos], he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.

If one were to understand that there was a age before the one we are in now,the Word of God would really open up.....

He destroyed the earth because of satan's rebellion

Last edited:
Upvote 0