What to expect the second year?

JohnNess

Feb 17, 2012
✟8,009.00
Faith
Non-Denom
My wife and I had a very smooth transition to married life. We had put down a bunch of things in a notebook, ranging from big stuff, like our beliefs on finances and our bucket lists, to little things, like where to spend the holidays and our idiosyncrasies. Because of that, we knew a bunch about each other and weren't really surprised by much.
We just finished our second year and it was, in many ways, better than the first. Here are some things to look forward to:
1. The sex will get even better. I saw in another post that your drives are mismatched. It was similar for my wife and I at first, but as she grew more comfortable with her body and in my desire for her, her enjoyment increased and her drive with it. You may also find your drive increasing as your love for your husband grows. And, of course, the more you practice anything, the better you get at it.
2. Life should start to relax a little bit around you. If you aren't ready for a house or family, then enjoy a year that shouldn't have such life-altering changes. Use this time before kids to really grow both your relationship with God and with each other.
3. You'll have fewer issues and disagreements. By now, you've probably come to compromises you can both live with on a variety of issues. I would suggest having a very open and honest conversation to ask if either of you are unhappy with the current arrangements, but assuming you are both satisfied, then you should know by now everything from what the other considers a waste of money to how they like their coffee. You should become more of a well-oiled machine, which should take away some of the stress of marriage.
4. Now for the (potentially) bad news: you'll realize that some of your husband's imperfections are here to stay and he'll realize the same about you. How you each react to that will go a long way toward determining your happiness in the second year. But with an endless supply of grace and God, this year can be ten times better than the first one.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
^Totally that above^

I think no matter who much a couple prepares for marriage, they will never truly know a persons flaws until they are married and living with them for about 2 years. And you are going to have flaws no matter how hard you try not to show them or if you don't even realize what your flaws are. But as said above you have to choose how to react to them. For us its indeed a well oiled machine. I know when she gets up that she looks forward to coffee. I know what she tends to like to eat through the day. I know what she does/doesn't like to watch. I know after work she likes a massage. I know alot about her daily life, just as she does me.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
More of the same? LOL.

FTR, I disagree that there will be more disagreements. It can take up to five years for a couple to really settle down together and learn to compromise. I saw a statistic once that the majority of divorces take place between year 2 and year 5 of marriage, and there's a really good reason for that. People expect too much too soon, especially in this super fast world.

So buckle up and keep on feeling your way through the bumps.

Upvote 0

Breezyberlin

Jun 13, 2015
✟151.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I am only in the middle of my third year of marriage.
But I can tell you that my 2nd year was def. better than the first!
But still tough.... in different ways... but still tough. Like, the first year, we were figuring out how to live together but there was still the excitement of its being new. Now we are figuring out how to keep the spark, while we just... live together.

Life is so full of surprises and unpredictable things, I doubt that anyone can really tell you what to expect. For example, in the 2nd year of my marriage, my brother, who was a close friend to both my husband and I, suddenly died. My husband was amazing, but I know that it shook our marriage; the long grief process; the ways I suddenly changed.

And, while I am not predicting tragedy in your life, I guess that you will always have surprises and in the end, who can know?
I agree: The sex gets better and better! (Even though my hubby and I still don't have a perfect rhythm!) And we laugh a lot more now than we did... like our senses of humor grew together. I love that!

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it depends on what you and your husband are like and what you are going through.

My wife and I went for about two years before she got pregnant, and it was like a long Honeymoon period, and a very affectionate, peaceful time as far as the two of us were concerned. I can remember two or three little arguments over nothing that was basically bad moods. We both got sick and took care of each other. We did have some things to deal with with her family. We had a relative of hers who got pregnant out of wedlock stay with us and then her baby. I learned her language (literally) a lot better.

I can't think of much to generalize to other couples.

Upvote 0

Mrs Awesome

Mar 11, 2015
✟577.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Eh, I think marriage is marriage. If you dated long enough and took enough time before you said your vows, then there shouldn't really be any huge surprises or anything. So, IMO, for the most part - aside from some basic newlywed stuff, marriage year two should be comparable to marriage year one and so on and so forth.

When my husband and I first got married, people kept asking me how I liked married life and I was all like, "It's the same, except now we live together and can have sex". People kept expecting this epic change to have happened and I was always baffled by that. LOL

Life will continue as normal and your marriage will adjust as needed. Last year you were newlyweds, this year you got a new dog, next year one of you may change jobs or get promoted. It's just life being life and marriage shouldn't really change any of that, except that you now have someone to enjoy (or endure) it all with. :)

Upvote 0

Thunder Peel

You don't eat a peacock until it's cooked.
Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Our second year wasn't that different from the first. Both were pretty smooth and each year has been a bit better. It should at least be easier because now you have an idea of what works and how you function, both separately and as a couple.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums