The Walker

Jul 26, 2016
USA
✟32,131.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I recently decided to come back to Christianity. I was raised a Catholic. I've had my first Communion, gone to confession, etc.....but I haven't been to church since my twenties. The problem? That's kind of a mixed bag. As the years have gone by I've been to many churches and listened to many different views of Scriptures. It has made me question which one is true. I'm just not sure and I just not sure which way to turn. I feel kind of lost as to what to do. I know some might suggest go to Mass for a while and see where it leads me but that presents a problem. I'm unable to go to a physical church due to the fact that I'm homebound.

The Walker

Jul 26, 2016
USA
✟32,131.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I used to be able to get around when I had someone to drive me around but my now I don't. Plus I've started having trouble with paranoia so it's very for me to be around people for long periods of time. I'll have to check into having a priest come to my house. Thank you for the prayers.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I used to be able to get around when I had someone to drive me around but my now I don't. Plus I've started having trouble with paranoia so it's very for me to be around people for long periods of time. I'll have to check into having a priest come to my house. Thank you for the prayers.

^^ this sounds like a very good plan and a great place to start.
in most parishes (ours does, at least) there are consecrated lay people who can bring the Eucharest to you, and the parish may also be able to connect you with a ride to mass.

since you have access to a computer you might also want to see if your parish is connected to www.formed.org.
they have all sorts of very wonderful teaching programs to bring you back up to speed, as well as full leingth movies for Catholics, and it's free!
The parish pays the subscription and makes the access code available to it's parishoners.

and last but far from the least, there's another resource that you might want to avail yourself of, and that's the Knights of Columbus. These guys are the backbone of the parish, and they do all sorts of helpful things. They're a combination of an extra set of hands and feet and a reassuring 'guy-sort' of friends well worth having in a tight spot.

so welcome home! :)

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,400.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
pdudgeon said
in most parishes (ours does, at least) there are consecrated lay people who can bring the Eucharest to you, and the parish may also be able to connect you with a ride to mass.

The Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion are not consecrated - they are lay people who are trained and commissioned to take Holy Communion to people in Hospitals / Nursing homes etc and help the priest administer communion in Church where the numbers make it essential.

The Walker - contact the nearest parish and see what help they can give you - oh and welcome to OBOB

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

The Walker

Jul 26, 2016
USA
✟32,131.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
pdudgeon said

The Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion are not consecrated - they are lay people who are trained and commissioned to take Holy Communion to people in Hospitals / Nursing homes etc and help the priest administer communion in Church where the numbers make it essential.

The Walker - contact the nearest parish and see what help they can give you - oh and welcome to OBOB

Thank you. I'm just seeing what steps going to take from where I am now. I've checked out a lot of churches but all the things I've seen about things like the end times don't feel right. I don't agree with everything the Church teaches so I'm just seeing which way to go.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
pdudgeon said

however it may be, (i probably should have said 'designated') they are still authorized to bring the Eucharest to those who are homebound. the main point here being that they are available to be used, so that if a priest is ministering elsewhere, the eucharest can still be received through their offices.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you. I'm just seeing what steps going to take from where I am now. I've checked out a lot of churches but all the things I've seen about things like the end times don't feel right. I don't agree with everything the Church teaches so I'm just seeing which way to go.

that program i told you about, www.formed.org has two very good teaching series that explain all these things, and they're designed to specifically address the common points of disagreement that many folks have with what they think the Catholic Church teaches.
that, and the fact that if your parish subscribes to formed you can watch the presentations at your leisure whenever you want.
it's a very "no-pressure" way to learn what you want to, when you want to, and where you want to.
and it's made available to people who are --like you--just checking things out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Walker

Jul 26, 2016
USA
✟32,131.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
that program i told you about, www.formed.org has two very good teaching series that explain all these things, and they're designed to specifically address the common points of disagreement that many folks have with what they think the Catholic Church teaches.
that, and the fact that if your parish subscribes to formed you can watch the presentations at your leisure whenever you want.
it's a very "no-pressure" way to learn what you want to, when you want to, and where you want to.
and it's made available to people who are --like you--just checking things out.

I'll check and see if the local parish subscribes. Not sure if they would because I live in such a small town. Never know, though.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Don't be afraid to ask questions. The Catholic Church invites them. Don't be afraid to open up some books on church theologies and Church history.

There are really learned people here and there in CF that are Catholic, EO, and different denominations who will be able to discuss things with you in depth.

I went through my own spiritual journey when I was younger, from the age of 16 (when I began visiting churches, and reading books) until I was 27 (when I was finally received into the Catholic Church). May the LORD guide you on your journey.

Upvote 0

The Walker

Jul 26, 2016
USA
✟32,131.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Don't be afraid to ask questions. The Catholic Church invites them. Don't be afraid to open up some books on church theologies and Church history.

There are really learned people here and there in CF that are Catholic, EO, and different denominations who will be able to discuss things with you in depth.

I went through my own spiritual journey when I was younger, from the age of 16 (when I began visiting churches, and reading books) until I was 27 (when I was finally received into the Catholic Church). May the LORD guide you on your journey.

I'm not young but I have spent many years going from one church to another seeing what each one had to offer. Coming from a Catholic background I always had a variety of questions concerning the Catholic faith asked. Some I could answer. Some I found I lacked the answer so it left me wondering. I guess I just find myself not sure which way to turn. There are things that I don't agree with that the Church teaches but I find myself having mixed feelings about what nondenominational and all the others teach, too. Just not sure what to do....

One other thing. The local parish doesn't subscribe to website suggested. Any other recommendations? Thanks!

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
One other thing. The local parish doesn't subscribe to website suggested. Any other recommendations? Thanks!
I was going to suggest symbolon, but apparently they have become part of formed.org. I wish I had an answer for you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I might have to temporarily subscribe to the site myself.

I'm sorry to hear that your local parish doesn't yet subscribe, but a personal subscription is well worth the investment.:oldthumbsup:
the Symbalon program is what our parish uses to supliment it's RCIA classes, and we have thoroughly enjoyed it.
I should also mention that the movies on the site are really great, and excellent quality. :amen::clap::clap::clap:

Upvote 0