Eretz
✟317,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
there is a rather large FB group calling itself "Progressive Orthodox Christianity" group.

Should we be concerned?

some of you might want to take a look at who are members...

Progressive? :confused:

Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
there is a rather large FB group calling itself "Progressive Orthodox Christianity" group.

Should we be concerned?

some of you might want to take a look at who are members...

Should we be concerned that you even know about it?:p

Upvote 0

RobNJ

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!
Aug 22, 2004
✟166,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And now, judging by the number of views for this thread, up to 78 more people know of the groups existence. I wonder how many new members it will have in the next 12 hours?

You cam always join it, so you can receive updates... monitor it from "inside the belly of the beast!" ;)

At the end of the day, it's just facebook. Those who agree with the groups views will still agree, those who disagree with those views will still disagree. No one without a view on the issue will be convinced one way, or the other, and 99.9% of the Orthodox Christians in the world, will ever know or care that the group exists.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I wouldn't underestimate the power and influence of social media today. it's easy to dismiss it. But like what Kristos did, I'd look at the membership of this group. It is very concerning.
(now, some might be one there in order to be able to make comments, not because they believe or support the beliefs of that group, but still...)

What if they had social media back in the days of Arius? would we be as dismissive as we would like to be had Arius started a FB group?

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
@Armymatt, with all due respect, we should not bury our heads in the sand. Yes, the Church will go on, but we've all been entrusted with a talent, along with that comes certain responsibilities, one being to uphold the teachings of the Church, and to correct/protect our brothers and sisters from heresy.
It is very concerning that the're are clergy and lay leaders as members of this group. I'm sorry, but joining it can signify acceptance and support of the beliefs of the group.
This issue of homosexuality is becoming a very major problem in the Church in this country at least, and it must be dealt with.

(sorry to say, but our hierarchs are doing a deplorable job of dealing with this, there might be some bright spots here and there, overall though, the response has been pitiful)

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
i can't tell much just from looking at membership - i see plenty of names of people who i know are not progressive looney tunes. prolly a good bit are there to keep an eye on stuff and offer a sane voice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
we should not bury our heads in the sand.

I never said that

It is very concerning that the're are clergy and lay leaders as members of this group. I'm sorry, but joining it can signify acceptance and support of the beliefs of the group.

and how many have actually espoused the problems you have said vs those that have not? I know some that are on there and they are not even close to being for the problems you described.

This issue of homosexuality is becoming a very major problem in the Church in this country at least, and it must be dealt with.

indeed it is, but I don't think fretting over a facebook group will do any good. I know some peeps that are in that group that are totally against homosexuality. just because there are wackidoos that are for it in there, and claim to be Orthodox, that does not mean that ALL of the clergy and lay leadership there are for it, nor does it mean that they are not correcting the errors that some espouse.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
a relative of mine looking into Orthodoxy joined that group. I asked her to leave that group b/c of what they stand for. Now she is confused about what the Church teaches.
So yeah, these kinds of groups are a problem.

Quite frankly, I really don't see this issue being dealt with. I'm sure confessors and spiritual fathers are dealing with it on a one to one basis, but this has become a public issue, both in and outside the Church. And I believe it needs a public response from within the Church.

I see it as problematic, Armymatt, but I'm not "fretting". My OP asks should we be concerned?

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
more so about the people who are members and the impression it gives.

what they are supporting (mostly approval of homosexual activity, but also guilt tripping others into assisting the poor) is tantamount to heresy

Helping the poor is heresy? That's a new one to me. Any Orthodox Christian shouldn't have to be guilt tripped into helping the poor. According to Christ Himself, whether we helped the poor, fed the hungry, took in the stranger (and dare I say homeless), etc. will determine whether we are in the Kingdom or not in the Kingdom (read the last part of Matthew 25). I guess in that case, Christ must have been a radical Progressive. And (horrors), He even defended a woman caught in adultery when everyone else wanted to stone her! What a Progressive and Liberal!

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Personally, I think the people on the Far Right believing and teaching that the poor are lazy bums who won't work (and many of them are working) is the heresy--it certainly is not what either Christ or His Church teaches. We'd better look out for FOCUS of North America which actually has many programs to help the poor and the homeless. They are a real threat to the Orthodox Church!

Upvote 0