What the ruling on Gay marriage is REALLY about

Status
Not open for further replies.

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
I know what you are saying, and I actually agree with you. But I think you and I are talking apples and oranges. There is a huge difference between me seeing a man and having the temptation float through my mind and me set it aside, and my dwelling on it and encouraging it in cultivating it into a full flung fantasy. A temptation is not a sin. But dwelling on those thoughts is coveting, and wrong.
Just how many thoughts must a man have on a intimate relationship with another man before it is sin and before he is homosexual?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Just how many thoughts must a man have on a intimate relationship with another man before it is sin and before he is homosexual?
Kind of a mental teaser of a question and little more than that, isn't it? Her point was that there is a difference between having fleeting thoughts and actually dwelling upon the fantasies or lusting, etc.

Theologians have made that point, too, and it's good for us here to be able to keep the two separate when discussions like this one arise.

Upvote 0

Lavendar Frog

Life Is Easy When You're Purple
Jul 21, 2015
✟1,352.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If a man sins and commits adultery merely by looking upon a woman with lust in his heart, Matthew 5:27-28, what would a man be guilty of when looking upon another man with lust in his heart?
When homosexuality is said to be an abomination to God. And the new testament assures unrepentant homosexuality will not allow one to enter the kingdom of Heaven.

Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
It doesn't matter how many times the temptation enters his head. If he doesn't dwell on it, it isn't a sin.

If he is having tempting thoughts of both men and women, even just a few, I'd say he is bisexual to some degree. If he is only having tempting thoughts of other men, then he is a homosexual. It is not a sin to be bisexual or homosexual, only to act on the temptations.

Upvote 0

Lavendar Frog

Life Is Easy When You're Purple
Jul 21, 2015
✟1,352.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
From the eyes of the Judeo-Christian you are treating a Gay person with compassion when you say that their condition is a severe mental sickness that requires treatment.

Cover_of_The_Pink_Swastika.png
Please indulge my query here.
What is the point of your posting the image of the Scot Lively book?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Bible only speaks to actions, not to states. There is nothing sinful about same sex attraction.
Not so sure I agree with that.

Rom 1.26 For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, 27 and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.

I would say Paul is definitely saying the attraction is sinful here in the part I bolded.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
From the eyes of the Judeo-Christian you are treating a Gay person with compassion when you say that their condition is a severe mental sickness that requires treatment.
While bisexuality can be turned to heterosexual actions, true homosexuality cannot be turned. There is no mental health treatment, no "pray away the gay... Christian treatment centers that focused on turning gays straight caused a lot of pain and suffering and are now illegal in the state of California.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I would say Paul is definitely saying the attraction is sinful here in the part I bolded.
I would disagree. Paul is merely saying that God abandoned them to their desires because of their sinful actions. Temptation is never a sin.

Upvote 0

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,619.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The decision is about affording all people equality under the law. That is it.
Im sorry but you are nuts if you think that this is the LBGT communities end game goal. All you have to do is look north to see where this is headed and the LBGT community here is FAR more aggressive

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
While bisexuality can be turned to heterosexual actions, true homosexuality cannot be turned. There is no mental health treatment, no "pray away the gay... Christian treatment centers that focused on turning gays straight caused a lot of pain and suffering and are now illegal in the state of California.
All kinds of things are now illegal in California that shouldn't be (and many things that ought to be are not). However, there are former gays who testify that treatment did "straighten" them out, so I think we all ought to be cautious about saying that such treatment flatly cannot succeed. Of course, there are many cases that haven't succeeded, but that's not denied.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
They already had equality under the law. What was wanted--and the deciding Justice on the court explicitly affirmed it--was the "right" to have other options.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
They were always equal. Everyone, EVERYONE, could always marry someone of the opposite sex and have kids. Gays have been doing exactly that all down through time.

Upvote 0

OliviaMay

Jul 16, 2015
✟1,258.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They already had equality under the law. What was wanted--and the deciding Justice on the court explicitly affirmed it--was the "right" to have other options.

No gays couldn't get married before the decision like others could. Now they can. So now they are equal under the law in regards to marriage. They were not before.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OliviaMay

Jul 16, 2015
✟1,258.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They were always equal. Everyone, EVERYONE, could always marry someone of the opposite sex and have kids. Gays have been doing exactly that all down through time.

That is just the saddest arguement against gay marriage ever.

It was used for interracial marriage as well. Whites can marry whites and blacks can marry blacks. So there is no discrimination.

Really. Just stop with that silliness.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
No gays couldn't get married before the decision like others could
Yes they could. They always could, and they have down through history, and have had kids even. They have had their gay love affairs on the side.

Upvote 0

OliviaMay

Jul 16, 2015
✟1,258.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes they could. They always could, and they have down through history, and have had kids even. They have had their gay love affairs on the side.

Your petulance isn't helping your cause. People see the bigotry in those kinds of statements. Just grow up.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
It was used for interracial marriage as well. Whites can marry whites and blacks can marry blacks. So there is no discrimination.
There is no comparison. Laws against interracial marriage were an anomaly. Down through time and in virtually every other culture, interracial marriages have been allowed. This is not true for gay marriage. This is the first time in history that any culture is allowing gay marriage. I'm not saying gay relationships -- there are numerous cultures that have allowed gay love affairs. But specifically marraige? No. This is the first time. It changes the notion of marriage. We don't know where it will take us.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Your petulance isn't helping your cause. People see the bigotry in those kinds of statements. Just grow up.
Petulance? LOL You are are highly intolerant of people who have differing opinions.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.