What sentence would you impose on this man?

What sentence would you impose on Bobby Hill?

• Probation only, restitution

• Sentence as is (20 days' jail, fine, probation, restitution)

• 30 days to six months in jail, fine, probation, restitution)

• Maximum penalty (year in jail, $10,000 fine, probation, restitution, may not run for office)

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From the Austin (TX) American-Statesman. Note: you will need to register to see the entire story.

Former Bartlett mayor gets jail time, offers apology

New mayor, meanwhile, resigns after just a month.

By Jennifer Barrios
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Tuesday, January 10, 2006

GEORGETOWN — Former Bartlett Mayor Bobby Hill was sentenced Monday to 20 days in jail for stealing money and services from the city he once led.

But Hill's sentencing does not put an end to the upheaval in Bartlett, a town of about 1,500 in far north Williamson County: Mayor Tommy Hill, who stepped into the role after twin brother Bobby abdicated, resigned Friday, citing personal reasons.

Former Bartlett Mayor Bobby Hill, right, will spend 20 days in jail for taking city funds and services. Hill's lawyer, Marc Ranc, with Hill in court Monday, said: 'We're very happy with the outcome.'

Under probation conditions set by 277th District Judge Ken Anderson in a Georgetown court, Bobby Hill must pay back the more than $7,600 he stole and write a letter of apology, which he read aloud in court.

"I realize that my actions were an abuse of the office to which you, the citizens, so graciously elected me," Hill read haltingly as lawyer Marc Ranc put a hand on his back. "I ask for your forgiveness."

The letter will be published as an advertisement in two local newspapers as part of the sentence.

Hill was not able to escape jail time for the charge of abuse of official capacity, a Class A misdemeanor for which he could have been sentenced to a maximum of one year in county jail. Hill pleaded guilty to the charge in November.

"When there's a violation of the public trust, it's not going to happen that I'm sentencing someone without some jail time," Anderson said.

Hill will serve five consecutive weekends in the Williamson County Jail, reporting Friday nights and leaving Monday mornings.

He also must pay a fine of $4,000, the maximum penalty for his charge. He won't be able to run for public office during the two years of his probation, and he is banned from all Bartlett city offices, including the Police Department and City Hall, during that time.

Hill, 62, was arrested Oct. 28 on charges that he wrote checks to the city for cash and for his personal utility bills and then instructed a city secretary not to cash them and to falsify the books.

Hill had been mayor of the town on the Williamson-Bell County line on and off for nearly 20 years before he stepped down in November.

"We're very happy with the outcome," said Ranc, Hill's lawyer. "We're ready to move forward."

Hill still faces unrelated misdemeanor charges in Travis County of fleeing the scene of a hit-and-run auto collision that occurred in October.

In December, after Hill resigned from the City Council, Tommy Hill, a City Council member, was appointed mayor.

On Dec. 19, the council voted to dismiss both the city secretary and the city clerk, who were witnesses in the case against Bobby Hill, leaving Bartlett City Hall essentially with no staff. Then, just over a month after he was appointed, Tommy Hill resigned as mayor.

Tommy Hill said he resigned to stay at home with his son, who has a disability, and to allow his wife to apply for the city secretary position.

That again leaves Bartlett with a power vacuum.

The council will meet tonight to appoint a new mayor. Mayor Pro Tem Arthur White said he expects to assume that role.

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Frankly, I would have thrown the book at him. He had done this over a period of several years, obviously knew what he was doing, and violated the civic trust. I would have given him the maximum punishment for this -- a year in jail, a $10,000 fine, probation, restitution, and made him ineligible to run for (or serve in) any government position for the rest of his life.

Upvote 0

NothingButTheBlood

Feb 27, 2005
✟4,508.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
The justice system is set up to give smaller punishments first. No one is supposed to be favored over another so no reason to throw the book at him. Especially if he can pay the city back sooner if out. I would have considered some home confinment for sure.

Upvote 0

DhaliClone

Oct 28, 2004
✟17,207.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
NothingButTheBlood said:
The justice system is set up to give smaller punishments first. No one is supposed to be favored over another so no reason to throw the book at him.

Well, I think that the justice system should throw the book at ANY white collar criminal. Give them all the maximum punishment possible.

White collar crimes cost the public more than any other crime. We shouldn't be so lenient or accepting of it.

Upvote 0

NothingButTheBlood

Feb 27, 2005
✟4,508.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
DhaliClone said:
Well, I think that the justice system should throw the book at ANY white collar criminal. Give them all the maximum punishment possible.

White collar crimes cost the public more than any other crime. We shouldn't be so lenient or accepting of it.

Well, contact your senator/congressman then.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HeyHomie

Senior Veteran
Jul 8, 2005
Springfield, IL
✟4,386.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There's another famous Texan named Bobby Hill:

bobbyhill.jpg

Upvote 0

Mirelys

Feb 6, 2005
Wyoming
Visit site
✟7,393.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Libertarian
He also fled the scene of a hit-and-run? This guy has some problems...

Keep in mind that it is a small town, and small town politics are much different than city politics. No matter the sentence, he will have a tough time living there any time in the next two decades or so, and will most likely move away. If the people of the town are unhappy with his sentence, they will probably find a way to make it up to him... :holy:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

s_gunter

Contributor
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
✟59,965.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
HeyHomie said:
There's another famous Texan named Bobby Hill:

bobbyhill.jpg

I was thinking the same thing when I first opened this thread.;)

I think that the sentence he received for this one offence is fair. However, I do wish he wouldn't have the benefit of still making money while he serves his sentence. I know that he has to pay the city back, but it should come a little harder than this.

I hope this isn't the end of his court troubles though. He does still have a lot to answer for, including the hit and run charge. It is my hope that he doesn't get off free for this, or serve concurrent sentences, meaning have these 20 days serve as punishment too. That would be an insult to the victim and his/her family.

Upvote 0

Redneck Crow

Too many unicorns.....
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
✟176,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hmmm. I wouldn't send him to jail. I would punish him where it hurts.

Biblically, jailing as a punishment for theft was not part of the civil law God gave to the Israelites--this was a Roman custom. For theft, the penalty would be restitution of at least 2 times the amount stolen, more if the circumstances warranted it. We aren't under the law as Christians for salvation, but the law can make a dandy tutor to this day when it comes to demonstrating sound principles for dealing with criminal activity.

He stole $7600? About $35,000 sounds right to me. Since he in effect stole from the taxpayers of the town, then restitution should be made to these taxpayers in the form of using the restitution money to alleviate the tax burden on them. As far as jail goes, why make the taxpayers pay to give the guy room and board? That's adding insult to injury. Let him get out and get a job and pay back restitution, and if he claims he can't find a job hire him for the filthiest job in town and apply his wages directly to his debt.

As far as the apology goes, who cares? The man is a thief, would anyone think that he might not be an insincere liar as well? And as far as barring him from running for office again, if a town is crazy enough to elect him in the future then they are truely getting the government they deserve.

Upvote 0