Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don’t they come from your desires that battle within you? You want something but don’t get it. You kill and covet, but you cannot have what you want. You quarrel and fight. You do not have, because you do not ask God. (James 4:1-2, 1984 NIV)

but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.
(James 1:14-15, 1984 NIV)

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
What things can you think of that you might cause your brother/sister to stumble?
'Whatever is not from faith is sin.' Romans 14:23

One thing would be to cause people to stumble would be to teach that Romans 14 is about whether to obey God's commands rather than about whether to obey man's opinions, counter to what Romans 14:1 says. When God has said that His commands are for our own good (Deuteronomy 10:13), then having faith is about demonstrating that you trust that what God said is true and that you trust Him about how to live and what to eat through living in obedience to His commands. If we trust man about what is good to eat and doubt what God has said is good to eat, then that is not of faith.

Upvote 0

Pamelav

Child of God.
Apr 9, 2012
Usa
✟11,247.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don’t they come from your desires that battle within you? You want something but don’t get it. You kill and covet, but you cannot have what you want. You quarrel and fight. You do not have, because you do not ask God. (James 4:1-2, 1984 NIV)

but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.
(James 1:14-15, 1984 NIV)

Hi.
I don't know what you are trying to say here in relation to my question. ?

Upvote 0

Pamelav

Child of God.
Apr 9, 2012
Usa
✟11,247.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
One thing would be to cause people to stumble would be to teach that Romans 14 is about whether to obey God's commands rather than about whether to obey man's opinions, counter to what Romans 14:1 says. When God has said that His commands are for our own good (Deuteronomy 10:13), then having faith is about demonstrating that you trust that what God said is true and that you trust Him about how to live and what to eat through living in obedience to His commands. If we trust man about what is good to eat and doubt what God has said is good to eat, then that is not of faith.

Hello.
I know you are stickler to adhere to OT law, so I really cannot argue with you because I disagree.

Upvote 0

Pamelav

Child of God.
Apr 9, 2012
Usa
✟11,247.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is tough question.

One thing I came up with is yoga.
If yoga really is wrong, but a person who does it and believes there is nothing wrong with it, should not talk a believer who thinks it's wrong to do it. I won't do it. Would love to tho, but, no such luck.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi.
I don't know what you are trying to say here in relation to my question. ?

What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don’t they come from your desires that battle within you? You want something but don’t get it. You kill and covet, but you cannot have what you want. You quarrel and fight. You do not have, because you do not ask God. (bold mine, James 4:1-2, 1984 NIV)

One thing that makes people stumble is that they desire something, but do not get it, and so they sin to try to get it.

but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death. (bold mine, James 1:14-15, 1984 NIV)

One thing that makes people stumble is their own evil desire. Also,

This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. (bold mine, John 3:19, 1984 NIV)

People who have enjoyed their sins, continue to stumble because they "love" the sinful deeds.

Upvote 0

Pamelav

Child of God.
Apr 9, 2012
Usa
✟11,247.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don’t they come from your desires that battle within you? You want something but don’t get it. You kill and covet, but you cannot have what you want. You quarrel and fight. You do not have, because you do not ask God. (bold mine, James 4:1-2, 1984 NIV)

One thing that makes people stumble is that they desire something, but do not get it, and so they sin to try to get it.

but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death. (bold mine, James 1:14-15, 1984 NIV)

One thing that makes people stumble is their own evil desire. Also,

This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. (bold mine, John 3:19, 1984 NIV)

People who have enjoyed their sins, continue to stumble because they "love" the sinful deeds.

Oops, you missed my point.

What do people do that may cause OTHER people to stumble. When in Romans and Chorinthians Paul talks about not eating meat because he doesnt want that person who's faith is weak to eat things sacrificed to idols, because their eating is not from faith. 'And whatever is not from faith is sin.'

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One thing I came up with is yoga.
If yoga really is wrong, but a person who does it and believes there is nothing wrong with it, should not talk a believer who thinks it's wrong to do it.
I agree, but if you want examples (like yoga), the list is endless. Meat sacrified to idols is an example in Scripture, but for us, so is music, clothes, TV shows, movies, and everything else that is affected by our culture. So are things like too much Bible study!—to a person who feels like they can't please God because they can't do as much.

Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters. (Romans 14:1, 1984 NIV)

In this recent post, I felt the OP writer would benefit (for the time being) just focusing on Jesus, even if it meant he had to forget about being on board with evangelicalism, church, helping others, personal holiness, and everything else in all creation.

It seemed to me that he was feeling so much pressure from various things that it was pushing him away from the only thing that really mattered. "Good" or "normal" things aren't good for a person if they're pushing them away from Jesus.

Christians in positions of authority who thought they knew what Christian activities individuals should be engaged in (without knowing the details of their life) have been a huge source of pushing people away from God. (e.g., condemning Bible thumpers)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
It isn't possible to assemble a comprehensive list of worldly temptations which could play into this discussion. People have too varied a response to temptations. Consequently, one has to observe the problems of the 'other' and avoid them or keep away from them in the presence of the 'other'.

Alcohol, for example. I drink alcohol some because I like the taste. I don't 'need' a drink to get through the day (or morning, etc...). However, I will not expose someone I know to have a problem with booze to that particular temptation. I'm not going to allow someone with a history of excessive speed violations drive my car, either.

However, I find a much greater 'stumbling' can be caused by heretical teaching. All sorts of non-Biblical concepts are bandied about as endorsed by the 'historical Jesus' and deflect Christians away from following Christ.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Hello.
I know you are stickler to adhere to OT law, so I really cannot argue with you because I disagree.

Do you agree that teaching someone to do what God has revealed to be sin would be causing them to stumble? Do you also agree that God's law was given to reveal what sin is?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pamelav

Child of God.
Apr 9, 2012
Usa
✟11,247.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do you agree that teaching someone to do what God has revealed to be sin would be causing them to stumble? Do you also agree that God's law was given to reveal what sin is?

I don't believe in observing the feasts and things that were unique to Isreal. I don't have to cover my mouth and scream 'unclean'!
The Holy Spirit makes us clean. You don't have to bath your body in water and be clean after sunset.
The Holy Spirit makes us clean. Get it?
The 'moral laws' in knowing what sin is, yes, that is important to know behaviors to walk in holiness.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Pamelav said:
I don't believe in observing the feasts and things that were unique to Isreal. I don't have to cover my mouth and scream 'unclean'!
The Holy Spirit makes us clean. You don't have to bath your body in water and be clean after sunset.
The Holy Spirit makes us clean. Get it?
The 'moral laws' in knowing what sin is, yes, that is important to know behaviors to walk in holiness.
That all sounds quite in line with Christianity. I don't celebrate "Jewish" holidays either. They don't apply to me. I appreciate the reasons for them and remember what they represent, but they are not 'pressing' in the same sense as Resurrection Sunday (or "Easter" in the common tongue).

But as you imply, I don't object to them, either.

Upvote 0