What makes you a "nerd"?

R

Riot Riot Riot

The fact that I would rather learn about Nikolai Tesla instead of the latest celebrity gossip.
I'd rather watch the Science Channel (or Discovery/History) over MTV and VH1.
I'm a sucker for Steampunk.
My avatar on here is from Star Wars.
I have the hugest crush on Indiana Jones.

I'm sure there's COUNTLESS more reasons why I classify myself as a nerd, but I can't really think of any more at this time. Too late; too sleepy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
M

MarkSB

I can carry heavy theological/philosophical discussion with no problem.. then stand up and hit my head on the light..

:D

Blueforest said:
What would you say would cause you to be classified as a "nerd?"

An interest in Dungeons and Dragons is the first thing that comes to mind, or World of Warcraft. (No offense to anyone who is interested in these things.)

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I work with the Linux command line daily.
I get Babylon 5 references that other self-proclaimed nerds don't.
I keep asking how Spock was able to stabilize and live (let alone past the TNG years) with all that protomatter literally inside of him.
Never had a relationship ever.

Upvote 0
U

Ukrainia

A nerd is a person who is hard to decribe, but you know one when you see one.

I've never thought of myself as a nerd.

In some ways I fit the stereotype. I can be quite socially awkward and have had no success with the ladies. I read sci-fi novels and like science and am on (the horror) an internet forum as we speak.

But in other ways I don't. I'm good looking (well, I think so at least), am passionate about sports and seem to have a natural talent for them and I haven't touched a video game system in years.

Apparently I'm a combination nerd and jock. And am hereby describing myself as nerdockulous. Hmm, after coining my own lame catch phrase, apparently I have another reason to place myself in the nerd catagory. :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Amber.ly

Predictably eccentric and honestly hypocritical
Mar 1, 2010
Gone- PM if you need me
✟22,486.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
post.IT_.PersonalityTypes.jpg

Upvote 0
R

Riot Riot Riot

I always classified them as thus:
Geek-- into technology, super smart when it comes to gadgets (phones, computers, etc.). Usually a little more socially adept than your average nerd. Often work at tech. stores and can spew off specs to any new gadget at any given time. Usually have super nice apartments (not always!) due to all the fancy technology they constantly surround themselves with. Can sometimes be seen with 1 or more girls.

Nerd-- into comics, role-playing games (Dungeons & Dragons, for example), bedrooms are plastered in highly-detailed figurines of favorite characters from various movies and/or comics, usually can spout random knowledge about things like Star Trek/Star Wars/LOTR. Usually the kid who winds up working at the local music store, but only knows facts about the bands no one has heard of, OR, working at a comic store and is a bit awkward due to not being as socially adept (not always, but usually) as your average geek.

I think I analyze things way too much. Which +1 to my nerd status. :D

Upvote 0

Sapphyre

pew pew pew
Mar 4, 2009
San Francisco
✟13,348.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Apparently I'm a combination nerd and jock. And am hereby describing myself as nerdockulous. Hmm, after coining my own lame catch phrase, apparently I have another reason to place myself in the nerd catagory. :p

Love this!! Portmanteaus are certainly nerdy. :cool:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Interests in theology and philosophy (not as great as it was just after high school, though - it's been sort of plateauing for the last couple years due to burn out)

Preferring to watch the History, Discovery, or National Geographic Channels over whatever pop culture mill is stewing on MTV, et al. Using phrases like et al.

Using Linux for the past almost six years; regularly compiling certain programs from source. Treating OSX more as the BSD variant it is rather than the exceedingly restrictive GUI system that sits on top of it.

A passing interest in information about computer parts.

Video editing, and being knowledgeable about the technical aspects because, well, you kind of need to be. May go beyond the usual because of AviSynth, though.

Consuming anime, manga, visual novels, etc. That I see the word 'otaku' as deeply offensive and would feel the need to deck someone that calls me that (mainly because I don't fit that description, but the fact I know what the word properly connotes and therefore have a good reason to be offended by it...).

Far truer when I was a kid, but liking Star Trek and Star Wars enough to actually get the Encyclopedias and Technical Manuals.

I currently own 3 Blu-ray discs (soon to be 4), and would insist any more movies or TV shows I get be on that format if they're available in it. But I don't even have a proper Blu-ray player yet (and the BD-ROM drive in my mom's laptop doesn't count, even if we have connected it to our TV before).

Upvote 0

BabySteps

Feb 4, 2011
✟15,324.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I guess because I have a tendency to turn mundane conversations into deep topics. Or that I like to read philosophy and spirituality. I get bored with most shows on T.V. and current music. I'd rather listen to some classic rock than the latest hits. I think different than most people.

Upvote 0

cloudstrife007

Jun 13, 2006
✟8,007.00
Faith
Christian
most ppl are over study once they finish their first university degree

I studied actuarial science and statistics for 5 years...worked for 18mths...and then started studying postgraduate dentistry (which will be another 4 years)...every summer for the past few years i've been studying a correspondence subject from a bible college....after dentistry, i plan on doing more bible college studies part time...

the apps on my iphone all involve some form of thinking (slice it, words with friends, tower defense)...not mindless action games

Upvote 0

Ayersy

Friendly Neighborhood Nihilist
Sep 2, 2009
England
✟17,209.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I have a deep love for comic books and science fiction. On the parcel shelf in my car I have a stuffed Spider-Man sitting next to a stuffed Darth Vader.

I'm a lifelong gamer, and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon. I'm physically out of shape, and I enjoy philosophical and theological debates.

I read alot, and I seem to remember things from films which most un-geeky people wouldn't, like the model numbers of Terminators, and how awesome ED-209 was, WHO CARES IF IT WORKS?!

Upvote 0