Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
MKgal1 said:
This I can't get on board with. I can't see humor as being about "pretending something 'wrong' is acceptable". I've not really analyzed what---precisely---humor is, but I don't believe it's that.

RedPonyDriver said:
Then you've never watched the cat stretch and fall off a perch...

When my husband was sick, we were the king and queen of WRONG...He'd end up in the ER for pain control...and the nurses and I would joke that hitting him with a frying pan and me drinking a bottle of wine would be SO much cheaper and I would lose MUCH less sleep and the effect would be the same. Yes, it was WRONG, it was SICK but at that point, laughter kept me from crying. Even now jokes are necessary. Due to my husband's surgery and rearranged innards, he tends to ummm...ferment. It's totally out of his control...but the humor it brings...like I could rent him out as a chemical warfare weapon, a professional wallpaper and paint peeler, on and on...juvenile, maybe...hysterically funny among the community that knows what it's like.

Sometimes the things that are SO wrong are SO funny just because if you don't laugh at those things, you'd cry.

I can now see that *some* humor falls into that category of "pretending something 'wrong' is acceptable".....but I can't see that *all* does.

The cats falling (especially to the music of "SAIL") does fall into that category.

Your jokes about your husband's "fermentation"? Isn't that actually expressing true acceptance (not pretending)? You're not expressing contempt or disgust----from my perspective, you're letting him know you can accept it and even see it as funny.

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
I can now see that *some* humor falls into that category of "pretending something 'wrong' is acceptable".....but I can't see that *all* does.

The cats falling (especially to the music of "SAIL") does fall into that category.

Your jokes about your husband's "fermentation"? Isn't that actually expressing true acceptance (not pretending)? You're not expressing contempt or disgust----from my perspective, you're letting him know you can accept it and even see it as funny.

Regarding bolded: OH YEAH I am occasionally expressing disgust...I mean, not even Febreeze will do anything about "eau de hubby". When the cats try to escape you KNOW it's horrid. But...we laugh about it, even though it's pretty much the peak of potty humor.

Maybe I have an over developed sense of humor. There's a lot of things I think are hysterically funny. Watch Blazing Saddles. If you don't laugh, please take your pulse.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So what humor ISN'T alluding to wrongness? Tell us a joke!

I guess that's part of it: I don't particularly enjoy "on demand" humor (where something is expected to be funny). I appreciate things that are unexpected (like one liners that point out truth in such a way that it's almost jarring). I can't come up with an example, though.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I can see how AKMOMs post can relate to both videos you posted.

The grinch does not do yoga. Something is "wrong" or "off" about that which adds to the humor

Same with animals talking. Off.

Just saying

I'd said earlier that with the grinch video---even if it were another person, I'd find that funny (so it's not about the grinch being out of place). To me......it's that she asked for what the Grinch gave ("release the voices in your mind")---and his nonchalant admittance of being "a little messed up" gets me every time.

I see it as him being honest and raw.....and her revealing a hypocritical attitude of NOT really wanting all that's in everyone's minds to actually be "released". I see a lot of truth in that. I see a LOT of people that talk a great deal of wanting and admiring transparency---but when it's given, they judge and criticize (and turn their noses up as people admitting to being "a little messed up").

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
So what humor ISN'T alluding to wrongness? Tell us a joke!
Sometimes things are funny because they are true. Did you ever see any of Bill Cosby's early stand-up> He was funny when he talked about going to the dentist, getting drunk, having young children.... it was funny because it was true. There is also the Newhart stuff.... I get a kick out of this one

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes things are funny because they are true

Exactly. I think that's the sort of humor I enjoy the most. These make me smile:

"I prefer *not* to think before speaking. I like being just as surprised as everyone else by what comes out of my mouth" (I can relate to that one ;) ).

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile.....then we'll be NEW friends".

....and this one (that face!):
5dc2ce8cb6690e4d3a60e93d3c3b03b6.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

akmom

Jun 13, 2012
U.S.
✟23,005.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I just cannot get videos to play, but I loved these jokes:

"I prefer *not* to think before speaking. I like being just as surprised as everyone else by what comes out of my mouth" (I can relate to that one ;) ).

This is funny because it's wrong. The phrase "think before you speak" really means think through the implications of what you are about to say. Obviously you know what you're going to say. This joke is funny because it takes the phrase literally, rather than how it's meant, and pretends that if you don't heed the advice you will literally be surprised at what came out of your own mouth. It's a wrong interpretation of a saying, being passed off as a normal interpretation, which makes for hilarious possibilities.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile.....then we'll be NEW friends".

This one is even better. Going senile is sad. The prospect of losing a friend because you simply can't remember them any more is tragic. This joke is funny because it pretends like growing old and senile is perfectly okay, and that if you forget someone, you can just meet them again and form a new friendship that is just as good. Obviously this is not the case, which is why this joke is, indeed, funny.

The dog joke is funny on two levels. First it uses anthropomorphism, which is inherently wrong, because you're endowing an animal with human traits that the animal does not really have, and pretending it does. Second, the dog is suggesting that someone other than himself did something bad, when it was really him (i.e., he's pretending that he didn't poop in the hall, so he has nothing to worry about, which is not the case).

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't know. I'm thinking that since everyone has their own way of perceiving things.......we probably find things funny for different reasons.

I'm resistant to the idea of seeing things funny because of them being "wrong"---a fresh or surprising way of looking at things, though? That I can agree with.

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Funny: Just saw a commercial with Cookie Monster. He was, of course, baking cookies. He tells Siri to set the timer for 15 minutes...and he's just a little impatient. He licks the spoon, licks his fingers, checks the oven, plays with the measuring cups, goes outside, comes back in and says "I can't wait for cookies"...he then asks Siri how much time has elapsed...not even a minute so he puts his head in his hands and moans "cooookiiiiiieeeeeee"...I was rolling on the floor.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I see how humor is in the "wrongness" of the joke, if by "wrong" we mean ridiculous or not what we expected. Not if we mean "morally wrong" in the sense of injuring or disrespecting someone. Generally, if the target laughs, it was funny. If the target is angry, hurt, or offended, it wasn't funny. Some exceptions can be made. There *are* hypersensitive people. I'm one of them. Just because a joke hurt me doesn't necessarily mean the joker shouldn't have made it, because oh brother, am I easy to hurt. This would not make it OK, however, to single out a hypersensitive person, targeting them specifically just so you can call them hypersensitive when it hurts. By analogy, if I had a really delicate big toe, and somebody breaks it by accidentally stepping on my foot, it's neither their fault or mine that I've got sawdust where my bones ought to be. The stepper didn't do anything wrong. If they had stepped on somebody else's foot, it would have been only a minor inconvenience. It so happens to have caused me a major problem because I've got a delicate toe. My responsibility is to wear hard-topped shoes to make sure I'm less likely to be injured if someone accidentally steps on me. Theirs, once they know I have this problem, is to be careful where they put their feet. People who go around actively seeking delicate toes to stomp on with all their strength, are just being mean.

Now, something funny.... This speaks to some of the cuts being made in assistance to some of my friends with disabilities in the UK, people being denied benefits and adjudged "fit to work," when they don't see how they possibly can. One of them posted a comic strip around Easter time. The crucified Lord lay in His tomb, now dead for three days. Along came a government representative in charge of investigating disability claims. "No, you're fit to work," he tells the Lord. "Up out of that grave!"

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I see how humor is in the "wrongness" of the joke, if by "wrong" we mean ridiculous or not what we expected. Not if we mean "morally wrong" in the sense of injuring or disrespecting someone
Ah...good distinction. I agree with there being humor in hearing (or seeing) something we didn't expect (or something presented as ridiculous---like satire).

Last edited:
Upvote 0