What kind of things would get you disfellowshipped at your church?

preacher4truth

Jesus saved me.
Nov 26, 2014
✟18,670.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
They laid together and had sexual relations, and, as I said, if she was a virgin, then to me, they have satisfied this text, and "shall be married".

Ok so the meaning is 'to you' and purely subjective. So, if a man lays with a woman, then *boom* in the sight of God they're married. Right?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Ok so the meaning is 'to you' and purely subjective...
I do not presume to speak for God or to perfectly know his meaning of any specific passage, otherwise I would be a prophet. So, yes, the meaning I gave is my understanding of the passage :)

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟840,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No need to elaborate. I quoted your feelings for others within your church which you have expressed. I'd begin with your feelings there and forget about your problems with others. Your problems with others are the first issue.

So you're saying the possibility that a church would eject a young engaged woman for getting pregnant before her wedding ceremony matters nothing compared to the fact that I dislike some of the members of the congregation? That's the priority?

Since people insist on discussing the definition of marriage, rather than the issue of disfellowship, I guess that's what's going to be discussed. I'll leave the thread open and let members of this forum debate that topic, but I do wish there had been more response on the original issue. Which was, to put it simply: Is it right to disfellowship for unwed pregnancy, or not? Or, what kind of things *should* lead to disfellowship?

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If this occurred in a church where I was an elder. I would want to meet with the couple and see if both were repentant. If that is the case, I see no reason to expel either from the church. God can use this as a tremendous teaching tool if the couple is genuinely repentant and honest about their sin. The child should be treated as any child in the church.

Applying OT laws given for Israel as a theocracy is misapplication IMO.

Upvote 0

preacher4truth

Jesus saved me.
Nov 26, 2014
✟18,670.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
If this occurred in a church where I was an elder. I would want to meet with the couple and see if both were repentant. If that is the case, I see no reason to expel either from the church. God can use this as a tremendous teaching tool if the couple is genuinely repentant and honest about their sin. The child should be treated as any child in the church.

Excellent response and thank you! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

preacher4truth

Jesus saved me.
Nov 26, 2014
✟18,670.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
...the meaning I gave is my understanding of the passage :)

I understand netzarim. My point is that it doesn't matter 'what the Bible means to us' when interpreting its truths. Neither do I believe proper interpretation makes one a 'prophet' (whatever your intentions are with that label, I don't know) nor does it make one a know it all which seems to be what you are insinuating in your response. Perhaps I am incorrect though. I hope I am incorrect.

Nonetheless I hear this often among believers and its altogether incorrect to go at Scripture in this method. This method goes against rightly dividing the Word -- 2 Timothy 2:15 -- and is purely subjective, undermining the Scriptures implication that Scripture can be understood and properly interpreted which is the point of the text I've given.

Once a person interprets this way ('what it means to me') it is nearly impossible to correct them to a proper interpretation, and correcting is a Biblical approach to this error mind you -- 2 Timothy 4:1ff; Acts 18:26; Titus 2:15.

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Excellent response and thank you! :thumbsup:

Ditto that.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Mooning the pastor during the sermon ought to do the trick.

Ken :bow:

No lie...kid mooned the congregation during the children's sermon...and the family is still there and well liked ^_^ Kid was 9 or 10 at the time though, so I guess there's some grace there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
A

Awaken4Christ

Ok so the meaning is 'to you' and purely subjective. So, if a man lays with a woman, then *boom* in the sight of God they're married. Right?

To be fair, sometimes people use "to me" because they are trying to be intellectually honest. Sometimes people realize that they are not perfect but that God's Word is.

Upvote 0

SoulBap6

Sep 12, 2011
✟8,358.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I want to be sure I understand disfellowship you mean not allow in the Church for a offence. Such as adultry,fornacation etc.

I will give you a better example a Pastor of a Church is ask to leave because of his Adultry in the church, with another mans wife. In this case the wife of the other man divorced his wife and the Pastors wife divorced the Pastor. They married and left the church. It was a total mess and it split the church in this case yes this Pastor was not welcome in the Church.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟840,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I want to be sure I understand disfellowship you mean not allow in the Church for a offence. Such as adultry,fornacation etc.

I will give you a better example a Pastor of a Church is ask to leave because of his Adultry in the church, with another mans wife. In this case the wife of the other man divorced his wife and the Pastors wife divorced the Pastor. They married and left the church. It was a total mess and it split the church in this case yes this Pastor was not welcome in the Church.

By disfellowship, I mean no longer a member of the church. Possibly welcome as a visitor, I don't know, but in this situation, the way I heard it worded was, "kicked out of the church."

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I only think a person should be kicked out if they are bringing sin into i the church and corrupting the congregation. As i mind find my self in pastor role one day I will not be kicking people out of the church unless for the reasons I gave.

Preachers are not God they are servants like you and me no better no worse we are all equal. The preacher should be kicked out if he kicks someone out for that. do on to others and all.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟840,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you for that.

Let me throw this into the mix. Before my husband and I were married, we lived together out of financial and medical necessity. In other words, because of my disabilities, I was having trouble supporting myself and maintaining my own home, so Mike took me in to help me with some things I couldn't do for myself. It was known to the church that this was out of necessity, that we planned to be married soon, and until then, we were not doing certain things married couples do.

Our pastor and congregation were OK with that, and nobody judged us. However, when it came to formally joining the church as members, Pastor asked us to hold off until we were married before doing so. Reason being, he didn't want some other couple who are living together with full benefits thereof, and not planning to get married, looking at us and thinking, "If they can live together without being married, we can too." It wouldn't be long, so he asked us to wait before becoming official members of the church, and we did. I don't have a problem with that, but to threaten to disfellowship a young engaged couple for slipping up seems harsh to me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for that.

Let me throw this into the mix. Before my husband and I were married, we lived together out of financial and medical necessity. In other words, because of my disabilities, I was having trouble supporting myself and maintaining my own home, so Mike took me in to help me with some things I couldn't do for myself. It was known to the church that this was out of necessity, that we planned to be married soon, and until then, we were not doing certain things married couples do.

Our pastor and congregation were OK with that, and nobody judged us. However, when it came to formally joining the church as members, Pastor asked us to hold off until we were married before doing so. Reason being, he didn't want some other couple who are living together with full benefits thereof, and not planning to get married, looking at us and thinking, "If they can live together without being married, we can too." It wouldn't be long, so he asked us to wait before becoming official members of the church, and we did. I don't have a problem with that, but to threaten to disfellowship a young engaged couple for slipping up seems harsh to me.

I lived with my wife for 3 years before we were married, we wanted to be married for along time but did not have the money. We were turned away from being baptized but the preacher said she had no doubt we were saved. Another preacher also turned us away from baptism because we were not married revoke our members ship at a church he was a tempt pastor at, and when I said well marry us here and now in your office in Gods eyes, i know it won't be legal but with God it will be. He refused, said we had to pay him 3000, it was an extra thousand because we were no longer members, he had just revoked that. That preacher which did that to us was no more a man of God then judas, He served the world. If he had served God and us living together was the issue he would have married us in God's eyes.

So my wife baptized me and i baptized her and there are people who will say it did not count, but the Holy Spirit hit both of us when we came up out of the water. I know it did, I even turn the whole bathtub into Holy water for it :)

Don't feel bad not everyone who says they are a child of God actually is. Jesus warned against judging another mans servant. That preacher stood in the way of a calling to me and my wife to be baptized. I was called to do it. He will answer for that. In fact when that preacher was speaking i think it was the first time I felt God angry inside of me. I know it was God because it was pure righteous anger and I had never felt that before. It really is nothing like anger at all.

Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God. Blessed are the poor in spirit for the kingdom of Heaven is theirs. well here it is The King said it best Mat 5
3 “God blesses those who are poor and realize their need for him,[a]
for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs.
4 God blesses those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
5 God blesses those who are humble,
for they will inherit the whole earth.
6 God blesses those who hunger and thirst for justice,
for they will be satisfied.
7 God blesses those who are merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
8 God blesses those whose hearts are pure,
for they will see God.
9 God blesses those who work for peace,
for they will be called the children of God.
10 God blesses those who are persecuted for doing right,
for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs.

Peace and Love
blu

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟840,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Met with the pastor today after church. I'm pleased to report that the information my honorary granddaughter was given was wrong. Even if she had become pregnant, she would not have been asked to leave the church. I think he's going to take steps to correct what was erroneously told to her.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Met with the pastor today after church. I'm pleased to report that the information my honorary granddaughter was given was wrong. Even if she had become pregnant, she would not have been asked to leave the church. I think he's going to take steps to correct what was erroneously told to her.

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
The bible sys.."them that sin rebuke before all so others will fear also."

We hardly do that these days...thats why there is so much casual, licentious living in many churches.

Here is what Jesus said:

John: 8. 7. So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. 8. And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground. 9. And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. - Bible Offline

Upvote 0