Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It is out of a great concern for the readers of "the message" that we are speaking out. People are claiming that it has been helpful in understanding Scripture or "letting the ideas sink in". Our concerns are honest and heartfelt because "the message" changes too many things, in far too many cases it is presenting something entirely different than what God intended us to find in Scripture and the danger is very real. We certainly do not want to squash anyones faith, we are trying to encourage the protection and strengthing of that faith by pointing to Truth and showing errors in the light of that Truth. To ignore the very real danger would be a most unloving act.

Upvote 0

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
It is out of a great concern for the readers of "the message" that we are speaking out....

When your concern leaves people feeling like they'd rather give you the one fingered salute and tell you to naff off, perhaps its prudent to look at how you are communicating that concern

Upvote 0

BenAdam

Pirate King
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2006
Tortuga
✟51,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'd like some testimony's from people who have been harmed by The message so they can tell us how they've seen the light.

The bible police are doing a good job trying to warn us though. ;-)

You know funny thing, I know a guy that bought a specific KJV version of the Bible (one of those specialty bibles) and because of the editors/commentators viewpoint of being Spirit-Filled, rejected the Baptism of the Holy Spirit as hogwash.

Upvote 0

jeolmstead

-That’s me in the corner, losing my religion
Apr 27, 2006
Memphis, TN USA
✟22,092.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You know funny thing, I know a guy that bought a specific KJV version of the Bible (one of those specialty bibles) and because of the editors/commentators viewpoint of being Spirit-Filled, rejected the Baptism of the Holy Spirit as hogwash.

He should have got the "Dakes"

I've got one.....

(The bible part is good)

John O.

Upvote 0

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I think it is the Holy Spirit who brings us to Christ, not any particular translation of the Bible.

~Jim

God brings us into deep waters not to drown us, but to cleanse us.

:thumbsup: My parents told a story just the other day about a man they had met 25 years ago. He was from Zimbabwe - lived out in the bush. His people practiced animism or whatever pagan religion they'd been taught for centuries. One day he was out hunting and a man appeared to him and told him that he needed to seek and find the one called Jesus Christ, then he disappeared.

So he went on a quest to find Jesus Christ. He went to many villages asking people if they knew Jesus Christ but no one had ever heard of him. Finally one day he came to a village where there was a missionary and when he asked if he knew Jesus Christ the missionary told him all about Jesus. The man was saved and baptized and eventually became an apostle who founded many churches in his country - churches that (25 years ago, at least) numbered in the hundreds of thousands.

I think this is an amazing story of a modern day Paul. God can and does reveal Himself to people in many ways. I think we're missing out on the revelation of God if we limit ourselves to bickering over the best translation of the Bible.

We should just trust that God is able to deal with this stuff and quit worrying about it. I don't think that God is concerned about. I think it's just a matter of pride for some people - it's a matter of being right, not loving others.

JMHO.

Upvote 0

jeolmstead

-That’s me in the corner, losing my religion
Apr 27, 2006
Memphis, TN USA
✟22,092.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
:thumbsup: My parents told a story just the other day about a man they had met 25 years ago. He was from Zimbabwe - lived out in the bush. His people practiced animism or whatever pagan religion they'd been taught for centuries. One day he was out hunting and a man appeared to him and told him that he needed to seek and find the one called Jesus Christ, then he disappeared.

So he went on a quest to find Jesus Christ. He went to many villages asking people if they knew Jesus Christ but no one had ever heard of him. Finally one day he came to a village where there was a missionary and when he asked if he knew Jesus Christ the missionary told him all about Jesus. The man was saved and baptized and eventually became an apostle who founded many churches in his country - churches that (25 years ago, at least) numbered in the hundreds of thousands.

I think this is an amazing story of a modern day Paul. God can and does reveal Himself to people in many ways. I think we're missing out on the revelation of God if we limit ourselves to bickering over the best translation of the Bible.

We should just trust that God is able to deal with this stuff and quit worrying about it. I don't think that God is concerned about. I think it's just a matter of pride for some people - it's a matter of being right, not loving others.

JMHO.

QFT

Yes,

People don’t need a bad paraphrase to miss what God is saying.

They’ve been missing it quite well with literal translations for 1500 years

John O.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
QFT

Yes,

People don’t need a bad paraphrase to miss what God is saying.

They’ve been missing it quite well with literal translations for 1500 years

John O.
Sadly, that is the truth!

Upvote 0

Floatingaxe

Apr 14, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟22,726.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

There are many countless people who have read the KJV and misinterpreted so badly that they have walked away from faith.

There are also millions of people who read the KJV who misinterpret many, many passages---dangerously so, even to the point of heresy.

We need to get real and realize that there is so much that God has made available to us in this age---many good modern English translations and also some good paraphrases that are aids to understanding.

So, it is the feeble mind of man, and his deadened spirit that is the problem---not the translations or even the paraphrases, prepared with good intentions.

Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
traditional meaning: Rational, factual study and analysis.

misleading stated meaning:
Teaching students to think for themselves.

Real meaning (New Paradigm):
Criticizing and challenging traditional beliefs, values and authorities. Often uses ridicule, intimidation and rejection to conform children to the new paradigm.

traditional meaning: Factual, rational thinking.

Apply, analyze, synthesize, evaluate.

Analyzing, synthesizing, and applying information based on politically correct sets of opinions and facts.

traditional meaning: Resolving conflicts.

Learning to settle disputes peacefully.

Learning to synthesize beliefs and trade old absolute beliefs and values for compromise positions and a new set of absolutes.

traditional meaning: Agreement through facilitated group discussion.

Seeking mutual understanding on a given subject.

Reaching a predetermined outcome through facilitated dialogue, often by ignoring, labeling, intimidating, ridiculing, or ignoring any form of dissent.

traditional meaning: The writer or speaker's normal, intended meaning.

Learning to read and write in a relevant, meaningful context.

Student gives his own expression and meaning to text, rather than learning to extract meaning of author. Accuracy and literacy fade in this process of standardizing human capital.

Sad as it is, this thread has no traditional meaning whatsoever, which has been destroyed by misleading patterns and meanings, and then dealt with accordingly by the modern emerging church new paradigm of practicality, irrational thinking, lack of being in touch with reality, and the lack of commonsense.

Thanks for your fellowship, and may our Lord Jesus Christ bless you all.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
“The One” is new age, and NOT Biblical! Why was “HE” deleted?

Let's just pick one of your topics, Rev 2:1:

NIV and ESV: ...him who holds the seven stars...

KJV: ...he that holdeth the seven stars...

The Message: ...The One with Seven Stars in his...

Greek text (both Textus Receptus and Aland): ὁ κρατῶν τοὺς ἑπτὰ ἀστέρας (ho kratōn tous hepta asteras)

All three are valid translations. "The One" is probably more literal than "he," since ὁ κρατῶν (ho kratōn) does mean "the one holding."

Not that The Message is always literal, but to accuse Eugene Peterson of being "New Age" is just ridiculous and false. Have you read his Eat This Book?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jesus Is Real

Feb 27, 2003
Texas
✟5,289.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jesus Is Real

Feb 27, 2003
Texas
✟5,289.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe he is trying to be obedient to what we are told in Jude....to contend earnestly for the faith.

yes, but foundations like this place in CF is bad soil.

It's about time for all GOD'S PEOPLE to come out of this harlot of Babylon, her sins are very bad and God's Wrath is about to come down on it.

Upvote 0

Jesus Is Real

Feb 27, 2003
Texas
✟5,289.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Proverbs 3:1-4
1 My child, never forget the things I have taught you.
Store my commands in your heart.
2 If you do this, you will live many years,
and your life will be satisfying.
3 Never let loyalty and kindness leave you!
Tie them around your neck as a reminder.
Write them deep within your heart.
4 Then you will find favor with both God and people,
and you will earn a good reputation.

Look deeper into the ideal that the message claims as being Gods favorite and God's ideal of finding favor. They are different. Just as what Scripture actually says in other places compared to what is claimed in the message. There is a very real and honest reason we stand against that work of man that is leading people astray.

LOL! I didn't even use The Message regarding those matters in but one instance in three, yet you still came against them.

The discussion is based on the deceptions of "the message" and misunderstanding of actual biblical concepts.

In this and other threads on that abomination comparison of actual Scripture to what is found in "the message" have been presented and yet people still defend it as a viable resource for discovering Truth. Clear evidence has been presented and rejected.

Prov 3:1-4
3:1 My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments:

2 For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee.

3 Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart:

4 So shalt thou find favour and good understanding in the sight of God and man.
KJV

This is what God's Word says, it's not favortism - it's 'graciousness' which goes back to verses 1-3 if you forget not the law of God but to let your heart keep his commandments.

When writter of 'the message' is allowing mercy and truth to forsake him. That is why he is not having graciousness with us-real Christian's because he speaks not 'good understanding' but is forsaking the law of God.

Upvote 0

Jesus Is Real

Feb 27, 2003
Texas
✟5,289.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How loose is loose?

Nobody said that The Message makes claims of being a translation, but it claims that it's HIS BIBLE after all Rick Warren says in his Purpose Driven Life says: "The Bible says" and then quotes THE MESSAGE, not KJV or any other reputable translation. And Rick's book contains nearly 70% of The Message.:o:confused:

So, who is wrong, and who is claiming Eugene Peterson's personal interpretation as being a HIS WORD, as some say the Bible says, and quotes from The Message. Interesting?

Now, my point that I was making to Tbird that they said that The Message is a TRANSLATION, and The Message is nothing more than a book full of WATERED-DOWN MILK, and not some loose parphrase

Be blessed in Jesus' Name.

the-Message.jpg

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.