What keeps you confident that God exists?

alexiscurious

Jul 13, 2014
✟15,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
You may be well aware that there are plenty of religions out there. Most of them have their own special scriptures, prophets, and gods that they worship. It seems that us humans don't need much convincing when it comes to religion. Everyday, from any perspective you look at it from, the majority of mankind sincerely prays to a god that doesn't exist.

That being said, what keeps Christians confident that God exists? You can't possibly be content with just the Bible. After all, it is a man-made book that was produced over 2000 years ago by people you've never even met. And as seen with other religions, it isn't at all difficult to create something similar. Also, it can't be the great complexity and intricacy of the world we live in. First off, you are still a few decades new to this existing thing, so please don't tell me that you are the expert on what causes things to exist. I don't want to hear it.

Is it a special experience you had? Did you hear his voice directly? What has kept you assured? I look forward to some interesting responses.

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You may be well aware that there are plenty of religions out there. Most of them have their own special scriptures, prophets, and gods that they worship. It seems that us humans don't need much convincing when it comes to religion. Everyday, from any perspective you look at it from, the majority of mankind sincerely prays to a god that doesn't exist.

That being said, what keeps Christians confident that God exists? You can't possibly be content with just the Bible. After all, it is a man-made book that was produced over 2000 years ago by people you've never even met. And as seen with other religions, it isn't at all difficult to create something similar. Also, it can't be the great complexity and intricacy of the world we live in. First off, you are still a few decades new to this existing thing, so please don't tell me that you are the expert on what causes things to exist. I don't want to hear it.

Is it a special experience you had? Did you hear his voice directly? What has kept you assured? I look forward to some interesting responses.

Yes, ongoing special experiences. He has spoken to me directly with words. Haven't always been assured, usually just assumed based on past experiences. He has assured me enough to sustain to this day. Promises coming to pass, I am looking forward to one especially.

Upvote 0

dcalling

Jan 31, 2014
✟107,345.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
First, the most important law according to Jesus is to Love God and Love your neighbors as yourself. Even if God don't exists there is nothing wrong to follow this.

Second, I am confident that there will be no real AI (AI can pretend to be man but can't be self aware). I have designed game AIs and researched neuro networks, they can be very good fakes but will never reach human levels. In about 20 to 30 years the computer's computation ability will exceed that of all humans combined, but they will not be self aware.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The confidence for true "born again" believers in Christ is just that ---the indwelling and sealing of the Holy Spirit who teaches one. Those who are only trying to follow and reason about Bible teachings will never comprehend it. God is looking for sincere and honest seekers after Him: "...to this man will I look, even to him who is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at My Word" (Isa. 66:2). God does not regard Atheists.

Upvote 0
T

ToBeBlessed

First, I think that creation is too complex not to be intelligently designed.

Second, the Holy Spirit has always pulled me back to the Lord no matter how badly I have backslidden away from Him.

Third, after studying the bible pretty closely for years it all makes so much sense. It made sense somewhat in my teens, more in my 30's and now at 45 yo I am still fascinated by it. I keep learning and growing in knowledge and understanding just as my Lord Jesus said I would with the Holy Spirit's guidance.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
First, I think that creation is too complex not to be intelligently designed.

Second, the Holy Spirit has always pulled me back to the Lord no matter how badly I have backslidden away from Him.

Third, after studying the bible pretty closely for years it all makes so much sense. It made sense somewhat in my teens, more in my 30's and now at 45 yo I am still fascinated by it. I keep learning and growing in knowledge and understanding just as my Lord Jesus said I would with the Holy Spirit's guidance.

:amen:

Upvote 0

singpeace

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2009
U.S.
✟40,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

In Christianity alone does one lay his own life down for another.

Upvote 0

Tayhana

Aug 18, 2014
✟200.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I am only 14, but I am confident God exists. I've prayed to Him alot and He's always answered in a way that might not be what I want, but makes alot of sense why it turned out that way. There are also times where I can just feel His prescence, which is one ofthe hardest things to explain to a non-believer. I think alot of us Christians have had life-changing experiences that are hard to explain why we felt God, but we know we did. Its those feelings that make me believe

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
There are plenty of days when I doubt.

My initial inclination to religion was inspired by creation. The complexity & beauty of the world, the whole universe, motivated me to consider there could be something Divine involved.

My choice in Christianity stems from the hope it offers. That one day, God will set all things right. No more tears, pain, or death. All things will be whole again, for creation will be redeemed & our bodies will be resurrected. We find this hope in the One who was resurrected & defeated death - Jesus, our Lord.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What keeps you confident that God exists?
But they believe their god(s) do exist - which is why they pray to them, etc.

That being said, what keeps Christians confident that God exists? You can't possibly be content with just the Bible. After all, it is a man-made book that was produced over 2000 years ago by people you've never even met.
But the Bible is the special revelation of God to mankind that clarifies who God, what His purposes are regarding humanity, and how we may relate to Him. Without this special revelation, God could not be known in anything but the most superficial way. The Bible, then, is vital to knowing and relating to God.

The Bible is not a man-made book. If it were, I would not give it any greater weight than any other book manufactured by man. But I do give the Bible tremendous weight because it bears the marks of a divine origin. And I don't see why not knowing the writers of the Bible should be a problem. I don't know the authors of the roadmaps I use, or the encyclopedias I've read, or the biology texts I studied in university. Should I dismiss them all as untrustworthy and corrupt as a result? No reasonable person would assent to this kind of thinking.

And as seen with other religions, it isn't at all difficult to create something similar.
And so?

Also, it can't be the great complexity and intricacy of the world we live in.
Why not? Design, order, complexity - these are all marks of an intelligent Creator.

First off, you are still a few decades new to this existing thing, so please don't tell me that you are the expert on what causes things to exist. I don't want to hear it.
But aren't you adopting the opposite position (that nothing can be known of the cosmology of the universe), which can be ignored for the very same reason you give here? If we aren't in a good position to understand what causes things to exist, you aren't in a good position, either. But if you don't know what may or may not cause things to exist, how can you say with any certainty that any viewpoint on the matter is mistaken? You just don't know, right?

I know God exists firstly because His Word says, so. Secondly, I know God exists because Creation declares His existence. Thirdly, I know God exists because I experience Him every day. Fourthly, I know God exists because reason easily leads me to that conclusion. Do I hear a mysterious voice? No. Did I see a burning bush? No. But I have spoken with God, sharing with Him my life and asking Him for His material providence, His enlightenment, His godly graces to shape my life, and His wisdom. In none of these requests have I been disappointed. More times than I can count, God has responded to my prayers. He has also convicted me of sin, comforted me in my despair, secured me in my faith, and armed me for spiritual warfare. We have never talked over a coffee at Tim Horton's, but our communication and relationship is nonetheless very real. He can be your Heavenly Father, too, you know.

Selah.

Upvote 0

Star Adept

Feb 8, 2015
✟541.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm not just jumping in here to cause trouble, but I'm of the same mindset of the OP.

In Christianity alone does one lay his own life down for another.

Really? Because you have to be Christian to die for another? Or do you become a Christian when you do?

The Bible is not a man-made book. If it were, I would not give it any greater weight than any other book manufactured by man. But I do give the Bible tremendous weight because it bears the marks of a divine origin.

Could you elaborate on the marks of a divine origin? Also, how do you contend that the bible is not a man-made book? Is it not a collection of writings from the disciples of Christ, who were men?

Do I hear a mysterious voice? No. Did I see a burning bush? No. But I have spoken with God

I think a lot of the problem non-believers have is the religious wordings people use in statements like this. I'm not discounting your experience, I'm not you. But there is fallacy in your word choice that makes it look like you're contradicting yourself. You didn't hear his voice, but you spoke with him? I understand it from a spiritual mindset, but the logic-minded people will go "you can't speak with someone without hearing them." You can speak to him, but to non-believers, it's as if you asked your car to start when you were in doubt it was too cold for the engine to turn over and you turned the key and it did, God's here!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

...the existence of evil in the world, patterned in a way that conforms to, and demonstrates, Biblical prophecy.

If all was good, then I'd have very little reason to believe the message of the Bible as it so stands.

Peace

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The Bible is not a man-made book. If it were, I would not give it any greater weight than any other book manufactured by man. But I do give the Bible tremendous weight because it bears the marks of a divine origin.
Could you elaborate on the marks of a divine origin? Also, how do you contend that the bible is not a man-made book? Is it not a collection of writings from the disciples of Christ, who were men?

When people assert that the Bible is a "man-made book," they are implying often that the Bible has no divine origin. I don't agree. Yes, the Bible was written by men, but its true Author is God. Why do I think this? Here are a few of my reasons:

1.) The thematic unity of the Bible.
2.) Fulfilled prophecy.
3.) Historical/archaeological accuracy.
4.) Survivability.
5.) Popularity over time.
6.) Profound and positive transforming effect upon lives and cultures.

Do I hear a mysterious voice? No. Did I see a burning bush? No. But I have spoken with God
I think a lot of the problem non-believers have is the religious wordings people use in statements like this. I'm not discounting your experience, I'm not you. But there is fallacy in your word choice that makes it look like you're contradicting yourself. You didn't hear his voice, but you spoke with him? I understand it from a spiritual mindset, but the logic-minded people will go "you can't speak with someone without hearing them." You can speak to him, but to non-believers, it's as if you asked your car to start when you were in doubt it was too cold for the engine to turn over and you turned the key and it did, God's here!

I speak to God verbally but He speaks to me via His Word, the Bible, and by the convicting, comforting and illuminating work of His Spirit within me. I recognize this will be largely unintelligible to the person who discounts the supernatural entirely. A non-believer's skepticism and philosophical presuppositions don't necessarily automatically disprove or negate my experience, however.

Selah.

Upvote 0