Twin Brooks, South Dakota
✟11,910.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
KJJK (1020 AM, Fergus Falls, Minnesota) was known as "Groovy 1020" broadcasting an oldies music format (Beatles, Monkees) until it became "Family 1020" in 2010 broadcasting CCM via the Salem Communications Corporation.

From 2000-2012, KSOU-AM, Sioux Center, Iowa, was known as Faith Radio 1090 playing its own computer-generated Christian Contemporary format. KSOU-AM became Classic KSOU in 2012 with it’s core music being the top hits of the 60s and 70s (Beatles, Monkees).

Go figure.

And there is KCGN-FM which was CCM until it became a praise and worship station in 1999. You have to be a real praise and worship music addict to listen to it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

markb77

Nov 20, 2011
✟16,859.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
There are three CCM stations in my area (Charlotte, NC): WRCM, the first FM Christian station in the area which has been around for 18 or 19 years or so, "The Light", which is affiliated with Billy Graham ministries, and in the last year or so we picked up a station which carries K-Love. My wife keeps all three of these pre-set on her radio. Personally, I can't bear listening to any of them. Every other song is either Third Day, Mercy Me or Casting Crowns. The "family friendly" format has simply ruined Christian radio (and pretty much ruined Christian music in general). I have "The Message" as one of my pre-set channels on my XM radio, and will occasionally stop on it if David Crowder*Band or Newsboys are playing. Otherwise I don't bother. There's too much good music out there to spend my time listening to the same old, same old that CCM has become.

Upvote 0

markb77

Nov 20, 2011
✟16,859.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
markb77,

Oh boy, you and lightninboy are going to be real good friends

Ha! Naw, don't think so. I've tried keeping up with that other thread (about rebellion) and it almost made my head explode. Everyone has their own taste and opinion. Music is purely subjective - you like what you like, and that's pretty much it. Trying to convince someone that they're wrong for liking a certain type of music or performer is like trying to tell them what their favorite color should be. You can't (and shouldn't) do it. My opinion is just that - only my opinion. It has no more weight than anyone else's and should be freely dismissed by anyone who cares enough to do so. I do find it interesting reading many of these threads, though. That's why I keep coming back! :)

Upvote 0

gav1nzdad

Somewhere in the middle
Jun 13, 2012
US
✟7,940.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ha! Naw, don't think so. I've tried keeping up with that other thread (about rebellion) and it almost made my head explode. Everyone has their own taste and opinion. Music is purely subjective - you like what you like, and that's pretty much it. Trying to convince someone that they're wrong for liking a certain type of music or performer is like trying to tell them what their favorite color should be. You can't (and shouldn't) do it. My opinion is just that - only my opinion. It has no more weight than anyone else's and should be freely dismissed by anyone who cares enough to do so. I do find it interesting reading many of these threads, though. That's why I keep coming back! :)

Yep, that other thread really did go off the deep end! I do enjoy listening to older CCM such as DCTalk and Petra, but i enjoy the majority of CCM today too!

Upvote 0

01tj

May 30, 2012
Fairmont WV
✟7,730.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It is a pretty hot button topic among some Christians though. I know of a lot of Baptists that think CCM is satanic. I don't know what I would do with out good contemporary Christian music but I don't judge others for listening to other types of Christian music. I do try to stray my students and friends away from secular music though. That stuff is terrible. I can't believe some of the stuff that kids listen to today. Its no wonder they are so messed up

Upvote 0

markb77

Nov 20, 2011
✟16,859.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It is a pretty hot button topic among some Christians though. I know of a lot of Baptists that think CCM is satanic. I don't know what I would do with out good contemporary Christian music but I don't judge others for listening to other types of Christian music. I do try to stray my students and friends away from secular music though. That stuff is terrible. I can't believe some of the stuff that kids listen to today. Its no wonder they are so messed up

Interesting. I'm Baptist. My father is a retired Baptist minister. I play in the praise band at a Baptist church, and I don't think I've ever, ever in my life heard another Baptist refer to CCM as satanic. My wife has a bit of a problem with Ozzy Osborne, but he's not CCM and she was born a Presbyterian. I agree to some degree with you about what's on (secular) radio today. I have a 16 year old, and I truly have a hard time listening to the music she likes. But that's mostly about the actual music itself. I've given up trying to understand any of the lyrics. It's just the awful, awful music I can't stand. The trend right now seems to be for the singer/rapper/whatever to sing/rap the same note over and over and over really fast while trying their best to make the lyrics as non-understandable as possible. It reminds me of the speed-spoken disclaimers they use at the end of commercials, except set to really bad music. I never thought I'd get to the point where I couldn't find some redeeming value to current music, but it's getting more and more difficult.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Nov 7, 2011
Canada
✟9,842.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Here in Canada, 24 hour Christian Radio was banned for decades, until more recent years. Christian programs on secular stations was about the only way you could here Christian music on a Canadian radio station, and some of that was really good. First heard bands like Vector, 77's and Barnabas that way. Some really good memories.

Also heard some full blown Christian stations, coming up from the States, but most of that wasn't to exciting. Sometimes I picked up WCFL from Chicago (Am radio), which played a lot of Adult Contemporary material like Amy Grant. That didn't do a lot for me, though I did enjoy hearing their black gospel/church segments and "Rock Talk" (a talk show). I think the station ended up going secular, due to financial problems. We also used to pick up a Christian station from Buffalo New York, WDCX (if I remember the call letters correctly). A very boring and safe format, dishing out the more safe boring side of CCM, and that was before the more current trends.

In my neck of the woods, the radio dial isn't as interesting as it used to be. I have no regular Christian music programs, like I did in the 80's or 90's (to a lesser degree). This, despite the fact, that there is a 24 hour Christian station in my city, calling itself "Hope Fm". It promotes itself as "family friendly" and "safe and fun for the whole family". Outside of the southern gospel segments (which isn't my cup of tea), it mostly plays the type of CCM I find distasteful, mainstream stuff like Casting Crowns, Jeremy Camp, Starfield, Third Day, Kutless and the vomit inducing sounds of Big Daddy Weave.

Hope Fm does have one music program that I do find to be half decent, calling itself "The Loft", heard every Monday to Friday from 2 to 3 Pm. It plays some artists that I enjoy, such as The innocence Mission, Sufjun Stevens, The Welcome Wagon, Fleming & John, Pedro the Lion, Patti Griffin, The Blind Boys Of Alabama, etc. Last year around Christmas, I even heard Low being played. Unfortunately, I often have to sift through other songs on the show, that I find to be mediocre or not so great, like Copeland, Owl City or Leigh Nash (I tend to find her solo stuff on the so so side). Than there are the constant advertisements ruining the flow of the show, every one to three songs! Plus the fact, that it's on at a time, that I'm normally unable to listen. I'm off of work this coming Friday, so will probably tune in again.

Another thing about "The Loft", is it doesn't play much music before the 00's. There's a whole wealth of stuff from the 90's and earlier that would be great to hear, but to be fair, the host is a lot younger than me.

Our local "family friendly" station could be better, but I give them some points for playing bands like The Innocence Mission and other groups ignored by radio in general.

Here is a link to the station: http://www.hopefm.ca

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lightninboy

Jan 11, 2005
Twin Brooks, South Dakota
✟11,910.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
WJRF "The Refuge" from Duluth had a translator in my area from about March of 2003 until sometime in 2011 or so. I guess The Refuge still has quite a few translators in the Midwest. Listening to them in 2003 was quite an unpleasant change from the CCM radio listening I had done before.

Upvote 0

GeorgiaGuyinAtlanta

Mar 13, 2006
Atlanta, Georgia Metropolitan Area, U.S.A.
✟15,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For the Atlanta area:

104.7 "The Fish" (Has the strongest signal-across the entire metro, and consequentially the most listeners)
th

"93.3 "The Joy FM" (Atlanta's original CCM station)-strong signal south and west sides of the city. Decent signal on the northwest and eastern sides of town, as well as the center of the city. Signal starts to weaken on the far northeastern side of the city.

th

Victory 91.5 (strong signal in the far northern areas of the metro) Weak signal pretty much everywhere else. Plays both CCM and Praise & Worship.

th

93.5 "Life FM" This station technically is the CCM station of nearby Rome, Georgia. However, given the proximity of the Atlanta area to Rome, it can be heard fairly clearly in the far northwestern area of metro Atlanta.
Life.FullColor_bigger.gif

There is also the Immanuel Broadcasting Network which plays both praise and worship, CCM, and traditional gospel music on several, shorter signaled (usually no more than thirty mile radius) stations around the metro and throughout northern Georgia. Three stations operate in metro Atlanta and four others operate throughout the rest of northern Georgia.

Upvote 0