What is your favourite genre in literature and what do you think it says about you?

K

kitty.lover

I used to think that a persons interests reflected certain aspects of that individuals character.

This theory has been challenged by my own interests. For example I am a mental health professional and agony aunt to my friends and family. I like to think of myself as a caring person and a woman of faith.

Yet my favourite books seem to involve a great deal of murder and mayhem; I read a lot of Martina Cole whose books are really quite brutal and I read them and actually gasp at the violence. Yet I am hooked.

I sit and wonder if under my compassionate facade; I am really a bit of a sick puppy? Or do I read these books because they are the complete antithesis of my real world.

Surely my literary interests should reflect my personality. What do you think?

Jesus4Me24

Aug 13, 2006
Germany
✟15,710.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My favorite geners are Historical books. Whether it from from the 1800's (civil, western, etc....) or anything else. I'm not sure what it says about me, but I would love to visit that time period and see first hand what it was like to live like I've read. :D

Upvote 0

SSior.27

May 31, 2009
Colorado Springs, CO
✟15,226.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's an odd concept considering my preferences are mixed with sci-fi, Agatha Christie murder mysteries, and some fantasy. Oh, and throw in some general fiction in there, lol. Then again, maybe not that odd, seeing as I'm a Jack-of-all-trades in life and at work, little bit of everything, and maybe it's reflected in this assortment of genres?

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟318,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It's an odd concept considering my preferences are mixed with sci-fi, Agatha Christie murder mysteries, and some fantasy. Oh, and throw in some general fiction in there, lol. Then again, maybe not that odd, seeing as I'm a Jack-of-all-trades in life and at work, little bit of everything, and maybe it's reflected in this assortment of genres?

Throw away the mysteries and that fits for me.

As to what it says about me. Main thing is I have a pretty good imagination. Though if it is because Science Fiction and Fantasy developed it or that they appealed because I have it is unclear.

For me overall quality is more important than genre. Oh I want both, but I'm not in love enough with any genre or author to keep reading a piece that is junk.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟318,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I think it says you have a good imagination and that's why you are drawn to those particular genres

Perhaps. But I could well argue I was drawn to Science Fiction in large part because of Heinlein's juvenile stories. He prevered a more European term, Cadet. Stories for children to young adults (though still readable by an adult). Stories that treat children as people. And unlike many do not treat adults as the enemy.

Or it could have been dumb luck.

Or my answers here could be because I have an imagination and can imagine all kinds of possibilities.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SSior.27

May 31, 2009
Colorado Springs, CO
✟15,226.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Throw away the mysteries and that fits for me.

As to what it says about me. Main thing is I have a pretty good imagination. Though if it is because Science Fiction and Fantasy developed it or that they appealed because I have it is unclear.

For me overall quality is more important than genre. Oh I want both, but I'm not in love enough with any genre or author to keep reading a piece that is junk.

Hmmm, you make a good point. Do we prefer certain genres because of our personal traits, or are our personal traits influenced by the genres we prefer?

And very much agreed; just because something is in the sci-fi section doesn't mean it's going to be good... like a crossover novel between Star Trek Next Generation and the X-Men... while mildly entertaining, was pretty much absolute tosh, lol.

Upvote 0

One day at a time

Always in a state of change.....
Apr 26, 2009
sitting in my recliner--I'm sure!
✟73,355.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I like all types of books....to me it brings me to some place I've never been or something that I've never experienced (and glad that I haven't experienced some of it!)....it fuels the imaginations with "what if's".....gives us knowledge...it just an overall great adventure! :)

Upvote 0

Marie87

Sep 8, 2007
✟15,762.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I like all types of books....to me it brings me to some place I've never been or something that I've never experienced (and glad that I haven't experienced some of it!)....it fuels the imaginations with "what if's".....gives us knowledge...it just an overall great adventure! :)
I agree. I like different types of books but I mostly like mangas and fantasy books.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wicked Willow

May 2, 2005
✟4,434.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Back in my teenage years (well, the first half of my teenage years, anyway), I was a "fantasy-only" type of person: why bother with reading about the dreary tedium of the real world if you could soar across the skies on the back of a dragon, save the world out of the clutches of some ancient evil with some magical artifact, learn to tap the magic of the world - or even just find your One True Love?

Then, I realized two things at once:
1. Most fantasy novels are frustratingly formulaic, and shoddily written to boot. And
2. Whether a novel is interesting or not depends on more factors than just the setting - and literary quality features prominently among these.

As a result, I ended up majoring in English Literature, and have become so enamoured with literary texts that I'm currently writing my PhD-thesis on the subject. (Writing my first novel is pretty high up on my priority list as well, but so far I haven't found the time to indulge my desires.)

There are very few genres that I shun altogether - and when I do, it's mostly because of their overall literary quality. I've even found a couple of decent (or even excellent) fantasy novels over the years: Jaqueline Carey's "Kushiel"-Series, George R.R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire", Gregory Maguire's oevre...

Upvote 0
S

Strix

For me its Horror, I can't get enough of it. I own everything Stephen King has written (I also think he's the greatest writer of the 20th century) plus stuff from Poe and Lovecraft to PD James and Clive Barker.

Its been a fascination since I was a kid sneeking up at 2am to watch slasher and horror films, its now a medium where I think the power of the imagination excells in written form, as my own imagination can produce something far, far scarier than some guy in a suit or with a computer.

Upvote 0

kittysbecute

Pokémon Master
Jun 3, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow, where skies are blue
Visit site
✟159,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
It's somewhat hard for me to pick a genre because some books cannot be placed in just one genre, and I enjoy a well written story. But I guess fantasy and/or adventure would usually be my favorite.

I love going on adventures, and view a lot of things within life as one, so I guess that could be what it says about me.... I don't know. When I was little I was constantly playing out stories, and making up stories. Sometimes my bike would be my horse, and I had a dirt trail I made in my backyard from riding so much.

Upvote 0