Mar 4, 2009
Australia
✟9,955.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Politics
US-Libertarian
John 16:12"I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13 However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. 14 He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you. 15 All things that the Father has are Mine. Therefore I said that He will take of Mine and declare it to you."

Given the above passage, what conclusions do you draw about conflicting doctrine between denominations and beliefs of people who all claim a belief in Jesus Christ as the risen Saviour?

A) The Spirit will eventually lead people to different conclusions than the ones they currently have - if they are genuine

B) The differences in theology aren't important enough for the Spirit to correct in this lifetime among believers

C) People are led by the Spirit only insofar as they allow - in religious matters - often tradition, preference, social conditioning and other factors often override what may be a more uncomfortable truth.

D) Those led by the Spirit will eventually join my denomination/ particular beliefs.

This is something that has always been curious to me. Either there are a heck of alot of Christians not led by the Spirit - since some stay with strongly conflicting (to other denominations) beliefs their whole lives - or one of the above applies.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Ceta_cea

I'm a Kings Daugther
Mar 1, 2011
a village near Lucerne
✟7,845.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In my option its a toss between A and C. I do have examples for both.

For A, my grandmother was always a very faithful woman, but like she said resently, through the years the way she thought about things changed. They changed because the Holy Spirit gave here a better understanding of it.

For C, I know christians who have options which I find very troubling. When asked how they can represent their option when there is a clear warning against it in the bible, they tell me that the they would know if its wrong to think that way. They shut out the Holy Spirit, because they don't really want to know what he tells them. They rather just want to have things the way they like it.

Upvote 0

AlexBP

Apr 20, 2010
Virginia
✟10,340.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Given the above passage, what conclusions do you draw about conflicting doctrine between denominations and beliefs of people who all claim a belief in Jesus Christ as the risen Saviour?
This is something that has always been curious to me. Either there are a heck of alot of Christians not led by the Spirit - since some stay with strongly conflicting (to other denominations) beliefs their whole lives - or one of the above applies.
My answer doesn't quite fit into any of the four answers you give there. I generally think along the lines of Saint Augustine, who said: "In essentials let us have unity and in other things let us have tolerance." There is certainly a body of common doctrine that all Christians should accept, sufficiently summarized, I would think, in the Apostles' Creed. However, in other areas it's entirely reasonable that the Holy Spirit might give contrary teachings to different groups at vastly different times and places, as for instance urging one group to not allow alcohol while another allows it.

Upvote 0

tapi

Apr 19, 2010
Stockholm
✟147,994.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The Church is the Pillar and Ground of Truth (1 Timothy 3:15)

The faith of the Orthodox Church hasn't really changed much if at all since the last ecumenical councel. So we maintain that we possess the original, apostolic faith handed on by the Apostles. There have been no new inventions or things added to the doctrine of the Church like the Catholics have done, with the infallibility of the pope in the 1800s for example. The fact that protestantism has split into thousands denominations and sects with major differences in their theology is telling. This isn't to say however, that the Holy Spirit would be absent from non-orthodox churches or believers:

"Master,” said John, “we saw someone driving out demons in your name and we tried to stop him, because he is not one of us.”
50 “Do not stop him,” Jesus said, “for whoever is not against you is for you.”

Upvote 0

memoriesbymichelle

Senior Veteran
Jun 8, 2007
Arizona
✟22,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
I think all denominations make it more complicated than it needs to be and you are correct when you say there are an aweful lot of "Christians" not being led by the Spirit. I know some of them and have been one of them at different times in my life. If you think about the Gospel that Jesus taught and told the disciples to proclaim it was very simple. Repent and Believe and love your neighbor as yourself basically. WE are the ones that complicate it with all our rules. Remember the Pharisees? Jesus called them White washed tombs. They were more concerned about following the letter of the law (which was pretty much impossible) than showing love and compassion and they did not know or believe in Jesus as Savior. In order to be "led by the Holy Spirit" you first have to be willing, and second you have to ask in prayer. He is a gentleman and will not force himself into our lives but if we are open and willing He WILL lead us and guide us into all truth as the scripture says. That's my take on it. :wave:

Upvote 0