Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
True worship as defined by Jesus is loving God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength.

Worship is not just obeying God; obedience is the result.

IMHO false worship is performing religious acts in an attempt to influence God.

Reactions: tucker58
Upvote 0
J

Jesse2014

True worship as defined by Jesus is loving God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength.

Worship is not just obeying God; obedience is the result.

IMHO false worship is performing religious acts in an attempt to influence God.

I don't know what loving God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength means. I don't know if it is a feeling or just a frame of attitude regardless of how we feel.

Upvote 0

Andry

Jedi Master
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2004
Left Coast, Canada
✟67,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know what loving God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength means. I don't know if it is a feeling or just a frame of attitude regardless of how we feel.
That's an honest answer, and if most believers were as honest as you are, they don't know what that means either....just a nice sounding platitude most of the time.

IMHO, worship isn't defined by the "worshipper", rather, by the recepient of that worship. For example, our Sunday morning "praise and worship" service may or may not be worship....it depends on whether God receives it as such, and not because we say it's worship.

Again IMHO, "true" worship comes from understanding who God is, and from that we'll understand who we are, and from that, we'll know what to do life...a life that manifests the life and heartbeat of God from the inside of us.

Upvote 0

O mountains

Apr 2, 2014
earth
✟11,939.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship." Rom. 12:1

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service." (KJV)

Upvote 0

Andry

Jedi Master
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2004
Left Coast, Canada
✟67,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service." (KJV)
It's a wonderful Scripture. Amen to that. Now what does it mean?

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟796,996.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Also, "God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth." John 4:24

Agree with Andry, Sunday morning may be worship - just depends. Of course, we don't have to wait until a corporate setting either.

Worship involves our spirits, our hearts (Matt 15:8). Singing and praising Him can help lead us into worship. "By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name." Heb 13:15

The children of Israel bowed their heads and worshiped Him such as in Exo 4 and 12. Not that a particular physical posture is required. Plus even if someone bows, it doesn't necessarily mean that their hearts are engaged in worship to Yahweh. But there are several Greek words for worship. One is when there's a bowing down yourself. To worship there has to be a true humbling ourselves before Him that has depth and sincerity.

Worship's pivotal point is when we get our minds off ourselves and focus on Yahweh. It's when we give Him the glory due His name (Psa 96:8). How do we do that? It has to be personal from us to Him. Only you can adequately express what's in your heart about who He is and about who is He to you.

How do we know when we've been in His presence? For one thing, we'll have joy (Psa 16:11).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
J

Jesse2014

Also, "God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth." John 4:24

Agree with Andry, Sunday morning may be worship - just depends. Of course, we don't have to wait until a corporate setting either.

Worship involves our spirits, our hearts (Matt 15:8). Singing and praising Him can help lead us into worship. "By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name." Heb 13:15

The children of Israel bowed their heads and worshiped Him such as in Exo 4 and 12. Not that a particular physical posture is required. Plus even if someone bows, it doesn't necessarily mean that their hearts are engaged in worship to Yahweh. But there are several Greek words for worship. One is when there's a bowing down yourself. To worship there has to be a true humbling ourselves before Him that has depth and sincerity.

Worship's pivotal point is when we get our minds off ourselves and focus on Yahweh. It's when we give Him the glory due His name (Psa 96:8). How do we do that? It has to be personal from us to Him. Only you can adequately express what's in your heart about who He is and about who is He to you.

How do we know when we've been in His presence? For one thing, we'll have joy (Psa 16:11).

I may not be worshiping him in Spirit and in truth. I find worship more of a chore. I acknowledge who he is. And I am humbling myself before him. But I do all that out of fear that if I don't, he will through me into hell.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
It's a wonderful Scripture. Amen to that. Now what does it mean?

remember when abraham offered isaac and believed that Yhvh was perfectly able to raise isaac from the dead in order of/because Yhvh had given a Promise concerning isaac that required isaac to grow up and have children -
abraham believed Yhvh was able, even though no man could ever do nor find a way to do what Yhvh did and does and is able to do.

when a person is willing to and actually lays down (not takes, but lays down) his own life to Yhvh, willing joyfully to be as dead to himself and alive only to Yhvh by grace in Yahshua through living obedient active FAITH in HIS NAME immersed in Him doing His Bidding every moment !

that is simply what it means (in real LIFE, in HEBREW, in experience with Yhvh, there is a very great increase and fullness and meaning not expressible here and not found by but a few , ever. (even though the PROMISE of SALVATION in YAHSHUA is open freely to everyone on earth, to as many as call upon His Name in accordance with Yhvh's positive appraisal and directions).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ron Coates

May 29, 2016
Brantford, Ontario
✟8,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Let Your living water flow through me, let Your Holy Spirit cause the blind to see, the riches of Your mercy and fullness of Your grace, that one may be forgiven and learn to sing Your praise. For You are a good God, yes You are, a strong and loving father, and You are a counselor to me, You're wisdom to my soul. And You are the best friend I've ever had, much closer than a brother, a precious cornerstone, a sure foundation for me." Sometimes when I hear someone say, "Praise the Lord," I think, "for what?" Don't take me wrong, I expect an answer. Above I said He is a good God. And then I explained why I believe this. I wrote this from my heart and mean it. And this is what God inhabits. This brings His manifest presence and I love His
presence. But saying the above things with the intent to bring God's presence is not in spirit and in truth and won't work. Just forget about this and start thanking Him. We can begin by thanking Him that we believe. Can you see the difference? I hope so. Peace.

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What is the difference between true worship and false worship? Is true worship just obeying God?
True worship is worship (Revelation 5). Obedience follows.

11 And I beheld, and I heard the voice of many angels round about the throne and the beasts and the elders: and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands;

12 Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing.

13 And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.

14 And the four beasts said, Amen. And the four and twenty elders fell down and worshipped him that liveth for ever and ever.

Reactions: Ron Coates
Upvote 0