What is True Messianic Breaking of Bread?

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
What confuses many is that a Hebrew/Jewish day occurs over *two western days. The following shows that the "Good Friday" scenario is flawed as it does not satisfy all relevant scripture passages being: "on the third day." "three days and three nights" and "after three days"

Counting the elapsed Days beginning on the first day to Unleavened Bread on Nisan 15 to
the third day of Unleavend Bread on Nisan 17 is First Fruits "on the third day"

Still straining at gnats and swallowing camels I see! You still don't get it...

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Sistr, just because you were told Jesus only spoke in Hebrew does not mean it was true. Greek was clearly the language of the day. The Jews even referred to their holy gathering places using a Greek word "synagogue." The Jewish prophet John the Baptist was called by a Greek name "baptist." Most of the scriptures quoted from the OT into the NT came from the Greek Septuagint (the Greek trans. of the OT) which was the common bible they used. The idea that these Jews only spoke in Hebrew is not even close to true (as per my few examples above, and there are lots more).

And on your assertion that I believe parables are only for the elite, is also far from true, because it's not what I believe and I never said that. Contrary to what you said, Yeshua often spoke in parables and many times even his closest disciples did not understand what he was meaning:

NAS Matthew 15:15 And Peter answered and said to Him, "Explain the parable to us."

NAS Luke 8:9 And His disciples began questioning Him as to what this parable might be.

Mark 9:31-32 31 because he was teaching his disciples. He said to them, "The Son of Man is going to be betrayed into the hands of men. They will kill him, and after three days he will rise." 32 But they did not understand what he meant and were afraid to ask him about it.

Often times the Lord wants us to seek him for deeper meaning, when deeper meaning is meant.

Hey, we agree on all of this :)

Reactions: Alex Tennent
Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟119,587.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
are these dates the same as your Aish Luach Hebrew calendar?
3787 = Wed, April 7, 27 AD
3790 = Wed, April 3, 30 AD
3793 = Fri, April 1, 33 AD
3796 = Fri, March 28, 36 AD (end quote)

No, what Aish says for the 14th day (erev pesach) is :

3787 = Wed April 9, 27 AD
3790 = Wed, April 5, 30AD
3793 = Fri, April 3, 33AD
3796 = Fri, March 30, 36AD

My memory is not the best, but when I did research this I remember that one difference that often comes up was that when Hillel did the calendar (after the Temple was destroyed and they could not go out to see the new moon) they had a certain rule where adjustments were made to certain Sabbath days would not occur two days in a row. Just going by memory, I remember proving that during the time of Yeshua they did not follow that rule. So that may be another reason why certain projections are a day or two off.

I do believe that NASA's calculations are accurate, and that the incredible solar system God made can be logically made to go backwards and give accurate dates, but I still feel that for the reasons I gave things could have been off by a day either way, as it was the Sanhedrin that decided when the 14th day was, using the best and most accurate way they could at that time (by viewing the new moon).

What is your gut on it AbbaLove?!
All of the above post by you does get one thinking about whether today was (8:20pm CT) really the 7th Day Sabbath. Like you said, maybe the present-day Jewish calendar is off by several years as well as off by a day or two.

YLT Colossians 2:16
Let no one, then, judge you in eating or in drinking, or in respect of a feast, or of a new moon, or of sabbaths,
NAS Romans 14:5
One person [judges]regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind.

Don't know about you, but i've had that uncomfortable feeling in my gut all day that i shouldn't have been trying to convince Yeshua HaDerekh that his Pascha Friday to Sunday observance is wrong thinking. So my apology to Yeshua HaDerekh. :)

Have decided to give CF a rest for three months or more. Your informative posts and willingness to share portions of Messianic Feast: Beyond The Ritual in this thread has been a blessing in helping me to stretch my mind in the right Way. ... http://themessianicfeast.com/

TMF_Front_288.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Alex Tennent

For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
Aug 7, 2015
✟11,458.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
All of the above post by you does get one thinking about whether today was (8:20pm CT) really the 7th Day Sabbath. Like you said, maybe the present-day Jewish calendar is off by several years as well as off by a day or two.

YLT Colossians 2:16
Let no one, then, judge you in eating or in drinking, or in respect of a feast, or of a new moon, or of sabbaths,
NAS Romans 14:5
One person [judges]regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind.

Don't know about you, but i've had that uncomfortable feeling in my gut all day that i shouldn't have been trying to convince Yeshua HaDerekh that his Pascha Friday to Sunday observance is wrong thinking. So my apology to Yeshua HaDerekh. :)

Have decided to give CF a rest for three months or more. Your informative posts and willingness to share portions of Messianic Feast: Beyond The Ritual in this thread has been a blessing in helping me to stretch my mind in the right Way. ... http://themessianicfeast.com/

TMF_Front_288.jpg
Thank you so much AbbaLove, you will sure be missed and I hope you get back sooner! And PS I never felt those posts were trying to convince HaDerekh, I thought you were just addressing me, but regardless you and your comments will be very missed my friend. May the Lord's presence abide upon you this whole rest time! :)

Upvote 0

Grafted In

Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟52,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I must say this issue has been very troubling for me. I had to take a period of time away from CF because what has been put forth here flies in the face of everything I've ever known and believed. It also is totally at odds with the teachings of Zola Levitt, the source of most of the understanding about Passover I"ve held to.
It's like up is down and down is up..I am totally confused by what is being presented here and how I could have been so foolish as to beleive as I have for nearly 4 decades.
Frankly I'm wondering in confusion and for now see no way out of my lot.

Upvote 0

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,619.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I must say this issue has been very troubling for me. I had to take a period of time away from CF because what has been put forth here flies in the face of everything I've ever known and believed. It also is totally at odds with the teachings of Zola Levitt, the source of most of the understanding about Passover I"ve held to.
It's like up is down and down is up..I am totally confused by what is being presented here and how I could have been so foolish as to beleive as I have for nearly 4 decades.

Oh, down the rabbit hole we go.... :p Been there actually there now...

Once you lay down tradition and man taught doctrine and you go to G-d and you tell him (HONESTLY) that you just want the truth and where ever the truth leads you, you will go....

This is what happens. Your world gets turned upside down. G-d opens the word and you begin to see things that BLOW YOUR MIND. It shatters much of what you previously believe because what man says (in their traditions and doctrine) is in opposition with SCRIPTURE. The challenge then becomes to not shrink back but to PRESS ON. To cling to the truth because IT WILL SET YOU FREE!

Trust Yeshua and what he says that If we being evil give our children good things how much more will our heavenly father who loves us with perfect love give to us.

Upvote 0

Daniel Gregg

Messianic, House of Yisra'el
Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
✟15,835.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I know that the Wednesday crucifixion and Saturday resurrection is a popular belief, but there are certain scriptures it breaks.

Namely Luke 24:21. But the Resurrection Sabbath is not vulnerable to this objection:

sat_evening.png

sabbath_resurrection_02.png

Upvote 0

Daniel Gregg

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
✟15,835.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Now it was being debated just what was meant in the NT by 'breaking Bread'.

It means no more than having a common meal. Middle easterners commonly break a loaf of bread and pass it around at the start of a meal.

Upvote 0

Daniel Gregg

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
✟15,835.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married

Reply to the video. It cannot be proved that unleavened bread was not used at the last supper.

οὐ φάγῃ ἐπ᾽ αὐτοῦ ζύμην ἑπτὰ ἡμέρας φάγῃ ἐπ᾽ αὐτοῦ ἄζυμα ἄρτον κακώσεως ὅτι ἐν σπουδῇ ἐξήλθετε ἐξ Αἰγύπτου ἵνα μνησθῆτε τὴν ἡμέραν τῆς ἐξοδίας ὑμῶν ἐκ γῆς Αἰγύπτου πάσας τὰς ἡμέρας τῆς ζωῆς ὑμῶν

לֹא־תֹאכַ֤ל עָלָיו֙ חָמֵ֔ץ שִׁבְעַ֥ת יָמִ֛ים תֹּֽאכַל־עָלָ֥יו מַצּ֖וֹת לֶ֣חֶם עֹ֑נִי כִּ֣י בְחִפָּז֗וֹן יָצָ֙אתָ֙ מֵאֶ֣רֶץ מִצְרַ֔יִם לְמַ֣עַן תִּזְכֹּ֗ר אֶת־י֤וֹם צֵֽאתְךָ֙ מֵאֶ֣רֶץ מִצְרַ֔יִם כֹּ֖ל יְמֵ֥י חַיֶּֽיךָ׃

Matza = bread of affliction = לחם עני = ἄρτον = same word used at the last supper.
Deut. 16:3.

Mark 14:22 Καὶ ἐσθιόντων αὐτῶν λαβὼν ἄρτον εὐλογήσας ἔκλασεν καὶ ἔδωκεν αὐτοῖς καὶ εἶπεν· λάβετε, τοῦτό ἐστιν τὸ σῶμά μου.

The Galileans removed the leaven as early as just after sunset for Nisan 13 going into Nisan 14.

Upvote 0

Daniel Gregg

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
✟15,835.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Every time Yeshua speaks of himself symbolically as "bread" he uses the Greek word (arton) for regular daily bread which was leavened. Whether it is the "bread of life", the "bread of heaven", the "bread of God", or the bread in the last supper parables, not once does he ever use the Greek word for unleavened bread (azumos) in these references to himself. The unleavened bread was called the "bread of affliction" and was of course not the preferred way to eat bread, being much less flavorful.

In the Septuagint, bread of affliction ἄζυμα ἄρτον κακώσεως, ARTON is used (Deut. 16:3). The symbolism alone "affliction" is enough to connect this with Messiah's beaten body. Of course לחם was the word used at the last supper. But since it MAY refer to unleavened bread it is no proof that it was not unleavened.

ESV Exodus 34:25 "You shall not offer the blood of my sacrifice with anything leavened, or let the sacrifice of the Feast of the Passover remain until the morning.

ESV 1 Corinthians 5:7 Cleanse out the old leaven that you may be a new lump, as you really are unleavened. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed.

using leavened bread breaks the intent and the symbolism. The memorial is to use unleavened bread.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alex Tennent

Aug 7, 2015
✟11,458.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married

Grafted in thank you for your honesty. I sure agree with BukiRob's words and have also gone through a similar phase as you both mention. I think the first stage for me was to realize that a major wrong turn took place in Rome and that almost everything that has been handed down since comes through that Roman grid filter, and is very disconnected to what the Jewish Messiah and his Jewish followers said and meant. It is difficult at first, but once we take off those Rome colored shades and begin to look through the lens of the first century Jewish believers things start to come into a much better focus. I sure wish you all the best as you follow the excellent advice that BukiRob gave.

Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Devarim 11:21
Visit site
✟109,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Lots of words written in this thread.
Has the 3 hours of total darkness that began the moment Jesus died been factored in to all of this.

In my understanding, yes, (but not shared in this particular thread). :)

Upvote 0

Alex Tennent

Aug 7, 2015
✟11,458.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Reply to the video. It cannot be proved that unleavened bread was not used at the last supper.

οὐ φάγῃ ἐπ᾽ αὐτοῦ ζύμην ἑπτὰ ἡμέρας φάγῃ ἐπ᾽ αὐτοῦ ἄζυμα ἄρτον κακώσεως ὅτι ἐν σπουδῇ ἐξήλθετε ἐξ Αἰγύπτου ἵνα μνησθῆτε τὴν ἡμέραν τῆς ἐξοδίας ὑμῶν ἐκ γῆς Αἰγύπτου πάσας τὰς ἡμέρας τῆς ζωῆς ὑμῶν

לֹא־תֹאכַ֤ל עָלָיו֙ חָמֵ֔ץ שִׁבְעַ֥ת יָמִ֛ים תֹּֽאכַל־עָלָ֥יו מַצּ֖וֹת לֶ֣חֶם עֹ֑נִי כִּ֣י בְחִפָּז֗וֹן יָצָ֙אתָ֙ מֵאֶ֣רֶץ מִצְרַ֔יִם לְמַ֣עַן תִּזְכֹּ֗ר אֶת־י֤וֹם צֵֽאתְךָ֙ מֵאֶ֣רֶץ מִצְרַ֔יִם כֹּ֖ל יְמֵ֥י חַיֶּֽיךָ׃

Matza = bread of affliction = לחם עני = ἄρτον = same word used at the last supper.
Deut. 16:3.

Mark 14:22 Καὶ ἐσθιόντων αὐτῶν λαβὼν ἄρτον εὐλογήσας ἔκλασεν καὶ ἔδωκεν αὐτοῖς καὶ εἶπεν· λάβετε, τοῦτό ἐστιν τὸ σῶμά μου.

The Galileans removed the leaven as early as just after sunset for Nisan 13 going into Nisan 14.

Hello Daniel,

I read the article you wrote against my blog and I allowed you to post that link on my website. I have been very busy on another book but will respond when I get time. I realize that you want to believe the Messiah and his kosher Jewish disciples ate unleavened bread at this last supper. The traditions go back 1700 years to Rome that all agree with you. The main reason for this is because when Rome disconnected from any Jewish influence and scripture understanding they decided the Last Supper was the Passover meal, where unleavened bread was of course required. Some who more recently have questioned this tradition have decided that it was some type of practice Passover, as if these first-century Jews didn’t understand how to do a Passover real well so they practiced the night before. But those followers of the Messiah knew more about how to keep the Passover then any man alive today, they had grown up going to the Temple each year for a real Passover sacrifice, and they certainly didn’t need a practice run having the Messiah right there with them. That belief only came about from the tradition started by Rome that they were eating unleavened bread at this meal. And for the great majority of Christians today that believe this was the Passover, following Rome’s lead, one only needs to look through the first-century Jewish lens for a brief moment to realize they would not go around Jerusalem saying they all ate “bread” at what was a Passover (or even a practice run). Even today you would not go into the Orthodox section of Jerusalem with a brown bag of “bread” and go to the Rabbi’s house and say “Shalom Rabbi, I have brought “bread” for us to eat at Passover.” The writers of scripture understood Greek very well, and they knew the word for common daily bread (arton), and they know the Greek word for unleavened bread (azumos). There is no reason they would not use one more Greek letter and use the proper Greek word, especially for the scandal it would cause had this really been the Passover, which it was not. If you want to read chapter one in my book where I prove this I will add the link below. In that chapter I go into proving several points in full detail, but I’ll add just one very shortened point here. In the Hebrew scriptures God foretold that the Messiah would be betrayed by one eating his “bread” (Hebrew = lechem). This was the common daily word for bread in Hebrew as I’m sure you know. So if God by his foreknowledge says they would be eating “bread” at this betrayal, and it was supposedly the Passover, wouldn’t He have used the Hebrew word for what is eaten at Passover, matzah?

Here is that link if you want to see that proof in more detail, and the many other proofs: http://themessianicfeast.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/TMF_Course_1.pdf

And that chapter leads to the next question, which is what did the Messiah mean that night? The following chapter brings out the facts of what the Messiah meant in his Last Supper parables, where he broke the one leavened bread into pieces and said it was his body:

http://themessianicfeast.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/TMF_Course_2.pdf

Upvote 0

Alex Tennent

Aug 7, 2015
✟11,458.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Lots of words written in this thread.
Has the 3 hours of total darkness that began the moment Jesus died been factored in to all of this.
Yes Grafted, I cover that in the last two or three pages of this chapter:

http://themessianicfeast.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/TMF_Between-the-Evenings.pdf

And just a few pages before that portion I solve the long standing controversy that commentators have long thought was a bible contradiction, where John says Jesus/Yeshua was before Pilate at the sixth hour, while the other gospels have the Messiah crucified on the third hour. But you might want to read the quotes earlier in that chapter to get the quotes from the Talmud on the huge importance of the sixth hour in their idiom, to get the full background.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Hello Daniel,
The writers of scripture understood Greek very well, and they knew the word for common daily bread (arton), and they know the Greek word for unleavened bread (azumos). There is no reason they would not use one more Greek letter and use the proper Greek word, especially for the scandal it would cause had this really been the Passover, which it was not. If you want to read chapter one in my book where I prove this I will add the link below. In that chapter I go into proving several points in full detail, but I’ll add just one very shortened point here. In the Hebrew scriptures God foretold that the Messiah would be betrayed by one eating his “bread” (Hebrew = lechem). This was the common daily word for bread in Hebrew as I’m sure you know. So if God by his foreknowledge says they would be eating “bread” at this betrayal, and it was supposedly the Passover, wouldn’t He have used the Hebrew word for what is eaten at Passover, matzah?

The bread used in Eastern Orthodoxy is called Artos. It is leavened. Rome used it also until it switched to unleavened at some point.

Upvote 0

Daniel Gregg

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
✟15,835.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Shalom Alex,

My opinion is not as subjective as you suggest (ref. 1). " On the eve of the fourteenth day of Nisan men search for leaven by candlelight."
Some saved it aside and ate it until 10 or 12 the next day, but others did not. Now I have learned something from you, but only by way of investigating your claims and discovering something else. If you care to look up Exodus 29:2, 29:23, 29:32, 29:34, Lev. 7:12, Lev. 8:26, 8:31; 8:32; and Lev. 23:14 you will see evidence that ARTOS αρτος and LEHEM לחם are used independently of the word unleavened to refer to unleavened bread. You will find ARTOS used for unleavened bread several verses removed from the context that explains the bread is unleavened.

It appears that Paul is building a symbolism with "one bread", and not just the last supper, but to Exodus 29:23, "one loaf of bread, one cake of bread, one wafer..." used to consecrate the priesthood. Consecration appears to be the theme in John 17:

17 Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.
18 As you sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world.
19 And for their sake I consecrate myself, that they also may be sanctified in truth.

17 Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body, for we all partake of the one bread.
18 Consider the people of Israel: are not those who eat the sacrifices participants in the altar?

23 and one loaf of bread and one cake of bread made with oil, and one wafer out of the basket of unleavened bread that is before the LORD.
24 You shall put all these on the palms of Aaron and on the palms of his sons, and wave them for a wave offering before the LORD.

So indeed the ARTOS was unleavened, as would appear to be normally the case in this sort of context.

(2) Rome also agrees that Yeshua was the Messiah. Does that mean because Rome said it he is not the Messiah?

(3) Any Jewish influence? you exaggerate. Sure they disconnected most of it.

(4) A straw man, because I do not suppose it was a practice Seder. In the dispersion some had extra Seders so that they could be sure of celebrating at least one at the same time as those in Israel. These were not practice Seders. What prevents Messiah from having an extra Seder? Not much.

(5) In light of the above revelation from Exodus, assuming bread is leavened is begging the question.

(6) Another straw man argument, and also anachronistic.

(7) Begging the question, i.e. assuming what you want to prove: bread is always leavened, therefore the word bread means leavened bread was used.

(8) So why was the word unleavened not attached to bread in several uses in Exodus?

(9) I know that the Hebrew word לחם stands independently verses separated from any qualification of unleavened in Exodus. One only needs to observe it there. So to say that lehem means leavened bread or regular bread is your assumption. You seem to be appealing to modern usages. That is an anachronistic fallacy. The farther back in time you go the broader the senses of any one given term. Also the printing press and mass media have dichotomized the technical meanings of words in just about every language. There is no reason why they would not call pancakes, tortillas, cupcakes, corn chips, etc. all bread. I made the case above that the context of the last supper calls for unleavened bread.

(10) Begging the question again. And foreknowledge does not excuse the logical fallacy.

Hello Daniel,

I read the article you wrote against my blog and I allowed you to post that link on my website. I have been very busy on another book but will respond when I get time. I realize that you want to believe the Messiah and his kosher Jewish disciples ate unleavened bread at this last supper.(1)
The traditions go back 1700 years to Rome that all agree with you.(2) The main reason for this is because when Rome disconnected from any (3) Jewish influence and scripture understanding they decided the Last Supper was the Passover meal, where unleavened bread was of course required. Some who more recently have questioned this tradition have decided that it was some type of practice Passover, as if these first-century Jews didn’t understand how to do a Passover real well so they practiced the night before.(4) But those followers of the Messiah knew more about how to keep the Passover then any man alive today, they had grown up going to the Temple each year for a real Passover sacrifice, and they certainly didn’t need a practice run having the Messiah right there with them. That belief only came about from the tradition started by Rome that they were eating unleavened bread at this meal. And for the great majority of Christians today that believe this was the Passover, following Rome’s lead, one only needs to look through the first-century Jewish lens for a brief moment to realize they would not go around Jerusalem saying they all ate “bread” at what was a Passover (or even a practice run).(5) Even today you would not go into the Orthodox section of Jerusalem with a brown bag of “bread” and go to the Rabbi’s house and say “Shalom Rabbi, I have brought “bread” for us to eat at Passover.” (6) The writers of scripture understood Greek very well, and they knew the word for common daily bread (arton), and they know the Greek word for unleavened bread (azumos). (7) There is no reason they would not use one more Greek letter and use the proper Greek word, especially for the scandal it would cause had this really been the Passover, which it was not. (8) If you want to read chapter one in my book where I prove this I will add the link below. In that chapter I go into proving several points in full detail, but I’ll add just one very shortened point here. In the Hebrew scriptures God foretold that the Messiah would be betrayed by one eating his “bread” (Hebrew = lechem). This was the common daily word for bread in Hebrew as I’m sure you know. (9) So if God by his foreknowledge says they would be eating “bread” at this betrayal, and it was supposedly the Passover, wouldn’t He have used the Hebrew word for what is eaten at Passover, matzah?(10)

Upvote 0