Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is time really just the way things behave and move in space? Is time a force of some kind? Do we know time exists in the far universe at all?
Time is the quotient of distance divided by velocity.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Time is the quotient of distance divided by velocity.

Nice try. So what if I lived in the same box and never went anywhere, do I escape time?

By the way does not velocity involve time? So if there were, say, no time in the far universe it could not take (much) time to move.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's just like space, but it's for describing when things are, rather than where they are.
Cute.

Just like space? That doesn't say much. Tell us what space is like and the way it resembles your conception of time.

In my conception of time, time existed before the universe.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,905,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So what if I lived in the same box and never went anywhere, do I escape time?
Unless you're in that box at −459.67°, Brownian motion will add up.
dad said:
By the way does not velocity involve time?
Affirmative.
dad said:
So if there were, say, no time in the far universe it could not take (much) time to move.
IMO, in eternity future ... since time = distance/velocity ... in eternity future, where there is no time, then distance = velocity x zero.

Meaning distance will be instantaneous.

Meaning we will be able to move from Point A to Point B yesterday.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Unless you're in that box at −459.67°, Brownian motion will add up.Affirmative.IMO, in eternity future ... since time = distance/velocity ... in eternity future, where there is no time, then distance = velocity x zero.

Meaning distance will be instantaneous.

Meaning we will be able to move from Point A to Point B yesterday.
I agree about the future. But that may be too advanced for mere men of science that lurk about here or post.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Looked at the link.

Seems fuzzy. Looks like they don't know. Maybe time need not be some force or 'thing' in physics, but outside it? Maybe it is real.
So you do not think that Science or Physics can answer the question of time? Then lets look at the Bible. Lets look at what Solomon has to say about time. It looks like he names that tune in four notes. Everything has a season and everything has a purpose.

3:1 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
3:2 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
3:3 A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
3:4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
3:5 A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
3:6 A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
3:7 A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
3:8 A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So you do not think that Science or Physics can answer the question of time? Then lets look at the Bible. Lets look at what Solomon has to say about time. It looks like he names that tune in four notes. Everything has a season and everything has a purpose.

3:1 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
3:2 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
3:3 A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
3:4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
3:5 A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
3:6 A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
3:7 A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
3:8 A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

That says there are times for different things. We know time exists here. Keep digging.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That says there are times for different things. We know time exists here. Keep digging.
Nothing to dig the jewels are right at the surface. We are told that today is the day and now is the time for salvation. God is long suffering now wanting any to perish and He is giving people time to come to repentance. He may have created this whole universe just for this purpose. We know His plan and intent is for ALL of Creation to be redeemed.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Nothing to dig the jewels are right at the surface. We are told that today is the day and now is the time for salvation. God is long suffering now wanting any to perish and He is giving people time to come to repentance. He may have created this whole universe just for this purpose. We know His plan and intent is for ALL of Creation to be redeemed.
That doesn't exactly deal with what science thinks time is. You have hit on the major truth that matters though. You keep preaching if you like while we try to get to the bottom of some other little things like what time really is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That doesn't exactly deal with what science thinks time is. You have hit on the major truth that matters though. You keep preaching if you like while we try to get to the bottom of some other little things like what time really is.
Did you already reject the Physics concept of time?

"Nachmanides explains that on Day One, time was created. That's a phenomenal insight. Time was created. You can't grab time. You don't even see it. You can see space, you can see matter, you can feel energy, you can see light energy. I understand a creation there. But the creation of time? Eight hundred years ago, Nachmanides attained this insight from the Torah's use of the phrase, "Day One." And that's exactly what Einstein taught us in the Laws of Relativity: that there was a creation, not just of space and matter, but of time itself."

"Nachmanides has made a phenomenal statement. I don't know if he knew the Laws of Relativity. But we know them now. We know that energy ― light beams, radio waves, gamma rays, x-rays ― all travel at the speed of light, 300 million meters per second. At the speed of light, time does not pass. The universe was aging, but time only grabs hold when matter is present. This moment of time before the clock begins for the Bible, lasted about 1/100,000 of a second. A miniscule time. But in that time, the universe expanded from a tiny speck, to about the size of the Solar System. From that moment on we have matter, and time flows forward. The Biblical clock begins here."

http://www.aish.com/ci/sam/48951136.html

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟569,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Professor Norman: But if humans are not the unit of measure, and the world isn’t governed by mathematical laws, what governs all that?
Lucy: Film a car speeding down the road. Speed up the image infinitely, then the car disappears. So what proof do we have of its existence? Time gives legitimacy to its existence. Time is the only true unit of measure. It gives proof to the existence of matter. Without time, we don’t exist.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Did you already reject the Physics concept of time?
Yes. Very much so. There was time long long before there was physics.
"Nachmanides explains that on Day One, time was created. That's a phenomenal insight.
No that is a wild guess.

Time was created.
Says who? At least as far as creation week when our universe was created? I don't see the bible say that. It talks as if time were here already.

You can't grab time. You don't even see it. You can see space, you can see matter, you can feel energy, you can see light energy. I understand a creation there. But the creation of time? Eight hundred years ago, Nachmanides attained this insight from the Torah's use of the phrase, "Day One." And that's exactly what Einstein taught us in the Laws of Relativity: that there was a creation, not just of space and matter, but of time itself."
Nah. Time as we know it may have been created here, but time itself I suspect was here already. In any case we don't know. Come to think of it I recall a verse about Him chosing us before the world was made. There was this gal in Prov 8 also if I recall who watched Him create stuff. Seems like time of some sort existed.

"Nachmanides has made a phenomenal statement. I don't know if he knew the Laws of Relativity. But we know them now. We know that energy ― light beams, radio waves, gamma rays, x-rays ― all travel at the speed of light, 300 million meters per second. At the speed of light, time does not pass. The universe was aging, but time only grabs hold when matter is present. This moment of time before the clock begins for the Bible, lasted about 1/100,000 of a second. A miniscule time.

Please tell me you are not hinting at the big bang?

But in that time, the universe expanded from a tiny speck, to about the size of the Solar System.
Oh no. Wow we better call the medics. That is sick.

From that moment on we have matter, and time flows forward. The Biblical clock begins here."

http://www.aish.com/ci/sam/48951136.html
No.

"Prov 8:22 The Lord possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old.

23 I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was.

24 When there were no depths, I was brought forth; when there were no fountains abounding with water.

25 Before the mountains were settled, before the hills was I brought forth:

26 While as yet he had not made the earth, nor the fields, nor the highest part of the dust of the world.

27 When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth:
The big bang does not have earth here first. Nor man the same week.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Professor Norman: But if humans are not the unit of measure, and the world isn’t governed by mathematical laws, what governs all that?
Lucy: Film a car speeding down the road. Speed up the image infinitely, then the car disappears. So what proof do we have of its existence? Time gives legitimacy to its existence. Time is the only true unit of measure. It gives proof to the existence of matter. Without time, we don’t exist.

Even if you lose the camera, that doesn't mean time did not exist. It means you lose stuff.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes. Very much so. There was time long long before there was physics.
No that is a wild guess.

Says who? At least as far as creation week when our universe was created? I don't see the bible say that. It talks as if time were here already.

Nah. Time as we know it may have been created here, but time itself I suspect was here already. In any case we don't know. Come to think of it I recall a verse about Him chosing us before the world was made. There was this gal in Prov 8 also if I recall who watched Him create stuff. Seems like time of some sort existed.

Please tell me you are not hinting at the big bang?

Oh no. Wow we better call the medics. That is sick.

No.

"Prov 8:22 The Lord possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old.

23 I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was.

24 When there were no depths, I was brought forth; when there were no fountains abounding with water.

25 Before the mountains were settled, before the hills was I brought forth:

26 While as yet he had not made the earth, nor the fields, nor the highest part of the dust of the world.

27 When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth:
The big bang does not have earth here first. Nor man the same week.
The Kabbalah is not really based on a guess it is based on an Oral tradition that goes back at least to Moses and maybe all the way back to Abraham and Adam.

Upvote 0