What is the role of 'nation' in the context of one's Christianity?

SmileAndAHandshake

Senior Veteran
Oct 1, 2003
✟19,199.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Does it even matter?

I had trouble relating to the question until you got to this part, to which I easily answered "No." I figure if I can't formulate even a single thought on the question itself, it must really not matter all that much to me :p

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm hoping the more conservative types will be able to give more insight. "Does it even matter?" was more like, "should one even think about these things?"

Well as far as I can see they are two seperate things but they certainly matter.

You should love the Lord your God more then you love your country that much is obvious. Personally I think there should be a change to US flag code allowing religious flags to be flown above the US flag. I never really thought of this until on my way home from work every day I constantly see this Roman Catholic school that flies the Vadican flag below their US flag. Given that the Vadican flag is a symbol of their faith I personally thought they should have the right to fly it above the US flag. (As I would fly the Christian flag above the US flag)

Now personally I think its important if you live in a free republic you aught to also love your nation as well. (No matter if that nation is the US, Canada, the UK, Spain, Italy etc etc) Obviously you will never and should never love it as much as you love God, it should be perhaps 2nd on your list of worldly concerns (below that of your family)

I belive that because its your nation state that maintains the republic, your culture, and the laws that allow your freedom. That freedom is a great worldly blessing that not everyone has.

I love the US above all nations not because I think its inheriently the greatest nation on earth. But because its a free republic that provides me and protects my basic rights and the rights of others and it provides me with security from threats.

If you live in the UK, love the UK because of the rights it gives you not only in life but also in having a say in government and the security it provides you with. If you are in Canada the same thing.

I think you should love your country because you love freedom and security. Not because its better then another country (very subjective measure) but because it provides you with something important.

I think secondarily along with loving your nation because of the rights it gives you, you should also support and defend (Not Verbally trash) other nations that have similar values in holding free elections and granting its citizens basic human rights.

Sure there are things I'd like to change about my country that I think would make it better and many other nations may not agree with me on what would make a country better. But compaired to the belief in free elections, basic human rights, etc etc those things are such minor things. Its really dumb to hate others about their beliefs on healthcare when there are so many other people out there who want to kill you simpily because you are different from them.

Our differences on these minor things are not quite as different as our differences with others who believe in oppression, show trials, death for minor crimes and things that should not be crimes at all and absolute and true hatred for everyone and everything that does not agree with their view of the world.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
E

Edwards1984

The question is in the OP title. What do you think? What do you see? What do you think of what you see? How does Christianity fit into nation, how loyal can you be? Does it even matter?

A very interesting question, and one that I have pondered for the past year, and has definitely changed my world view.

Certainly throughout history we can see men who treasured their nation so much that, first and foremost, they wanted to bring the gospel to the people there (John Knox, Martin Luther, John Calvin, etc.). The question is, where does our loyalty lie when that nation turns against our God? I think of the story of Maurice and the Theban Legion, who were soldiers in the service of Rome and wore the Roman uniform and fought under a Roman eagle...but were also Christians. When this was discovered they were ordered to recant, which they all refused to do. In the end the entire legion was martyred.

We are in the world, and we cannot ignore that. We give to Caesar what is owed to Caesar, but we can never forget that, being made in the image of God, we are likewise accountable to God, and we will be held accountable on that day. And on that day, no earthly body nor political party can assist us in our plea. The only decree that will save us is the one made by Christ on the cross on our behalf.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟381,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The question is in the OP title. What do you think? What do you see? What do you think of what you see? How does Christianity fit into nation, how loyal can you be? Does it even matter?

The only thing that comes to mind is that living by the 10 Commandments and the Golden Rule may help society function a little better. I'm not referring to theocracy. In my opinion, theocracy does far more harm than good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Judy02

Jan 9, 2006
England.
✟28,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think it's interesting to meet Christians from other countries. (Especially countries very different from our own). Sometimes it's easy to just see Christianity and faith in the way it's lived out and practiced in relation to our own country and culture. God is so much bigger than that. I think we can all be too easily influenced my our culture, which is why it is helpful to meet believers from around the globe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Separation of Church and State without the State imposing any belief or disbelief on its citizens.

Nothing more can be stated by me. I don't care about quo say obligation to a god over the state because dedicated faith that breaks the law of the land isn't faith of much worth to me. The role that it plays is only worth for those that believe in it, so it doesn't add much collectively to the nation in my eyes.

Upvote 0