what is the origin of the baptist denomination?

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
What is the origin of the baptist movement? Who founded it?
Are baptists protestant christians? Pre reformation christians?

God bless you
There are basically three views of Baptist history. One is that Baptists have always been since the beginning of the church in what is known as spiritual kinship with groups that were never a part of the "Catholic" church. Groups such as the Waldenses and Albigenses. I personally hold this view. It is called the spiritual kinship view.

Another view is that Baptists began in England by a man whose name slips my mind at the moment. And it true that the name Baptist did. Oh yeah his name was John Smyth.

Another view is the direct line of succession from John the Baptist and traces their baptism and church back to him in a direct line. A book called "The Trail of Blood" written by J.M. Carroll traces this view. It is called the Landmark view and is nonsense.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I dont know too much about the history but i would go with the first view. Its not good to call baptists protestants since many were never part of the catholic church in the first place, so there was nothing to protest about. Protestant is a catholic term for any within their church who didnt agree with their practises. These peoplethen broke away...they followed after martin luther and became lutherans.

Although it does seem baptists have more in common with protestants than catholics of course. And many that do leave end up joining baptist churches.

Upvote 0

alexsonofmatthew

May 11, 2013
:)
✟8,070.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
There are basically three views of Baptist history. One is that Baptists have always been since the beginning of the church in what is known as spiritual kinship with groups that were never a part of the "Catholic" church. Groups such as the Waldenses and Albigenses. I personally hold this view. It is called the spiritual kinship view.

Another view is that Baptists began in England by a man whose name slips my mind at the moment. And it true that the name Baptist did. Oh yeah his name was John Smyth.

Another view is the direct line of succession from John the Baptist and traces their baptism and church back to him in a direct line. A book called "The Trail of Blood" written by J.M. Carroll traces this view. It is called the Landmark view and is nonsense.

Thank you for your answer. What is the proof for the spiritual kinship view?

God bless you

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your answer. What is the proof for the spiritual kinship view?

God bless you
Historical records show groups by various names, some of which were heretical, that held the things that make Baptists distinctive. They weren't called Baptists but their doctrine was Baptist. I named a couple of them in my post. I do have a few Baptist history books on my shelf and when I have a little more time I will look at them and give you more information if you need it. I haven't actually studied Baptist history in a few years.

Upvote 0

alexsonofmatthew

May 11, 2013
:)
✟8,070.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Historical records show groups by various names, some of which were heretical, that held the things that make Baptists distinctive. They weren't called Baptists but their doctrine was Baptist. I named a couple of them in my post. I do have a few Baptist history books on my shelf and when I have a little more time I will look at them and give you more information if you need it. I haven't actually studied Baptist history in a few years.

I'd like more information about it when you have the time.

God bless you

Upvote 0

Cush

Orthodox Presbyterian
Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
✟19,019.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics