What is the difference between an astronaut and a cosmonaut?

Michael

Contributor
Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Comments?

God Bless!

The language they speak. :)

Oh ya, Astronauts bring fancy pens to space that cost millions of dollars to develop, whereas Cosmonauts tend to be more practical and they simply bring a pencil. :)

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟860,379.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Oh ya, Astronauts bring fancy pens to space that cost millions of dollars to develop, whereas Cosmonauts tend to be more practical and they simply bring a pencil. :)

Beat me to it!

Upvote 0

TheQuietRiot

indomitable
Aug 17, 2011
West Yorkshire
✟12,002.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The language they speak. :)

Pencils are generally bad in space.

They are made of wood, rubber and graphite which are all combustible materials and when used or sharpened can produce lots of dust and debris that are generally bad news in a spacecraft.

But I'm sure you knew that Micheal, just for the lurkers :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aureus

May 20, 2014
✟9,262.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private

They are made of wood, rubber and graphite which are all combustible materials and when used or sharpened can produce lots of dust and debris that are generally bad news in a spacecraft.

In addition, NASA didn't pay any money to develop the pen. NASA began researching the idea but said screw this, too expensive and continued using pencils. Fisher went ahead and did the necessary development themselves with private capital. Then sold the space pens to NASA, oh and to Russia.

Astronauts and Cosmonauts use the same pens.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟860,379.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

In addition, NASA didn't pay any money to develop the pen. NASA began researching the idea but said screw this, too expensive and continued using pencils. Fisher went ahead and did the necessary development themselves with private capital. Then sold the space pens to NASA, oh and to Russia.

Astronauts and Cosmonauts use the same pens.

Oh way to go guys. Reminds me of the Bible literalness debates. Here we have a clever little story, a parable if you will, with a smart moral of KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid), and you have to go and ruin it. I can picture you walking with Jesus, and he wants to impart wisdom, so he starts off a story "There were two men in a field..." and you interrupt, "Hold on Jesus, who were these men? What were their names? And what kind of field was this? You know, science has proven that the soil in the fields of Northern Judah is very different from the soil in..."

And Jesus does a facepalm.

Upvote 0

Aureus

May 20, 2014
✟9,262.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Oh way to go guys. Reminds me of the Bible literalness debates. Here we have a clever little story, a parable if you will, with a smart moral of KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid), and you have to go and ruin it. I can picture you walking with Jesus, and he wants to impart wisdom, so he starts off a story "There were two men in a field..." and you interrupt, "Hold on Jesus, who were these men? What were their names? And what kind of field was this? You know, science has proven that the soil in the fields of Northern Judah is very different from the soil in..."

Its kind of telling you want to keep to a false story with a moral that doesn't actually apply to the situation instead of reality.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TheQuietRiot

indomitable
Aug 17, 2011
West Yorkshire
✟12,002.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

It is hard to find a story clever when it ain't true :p

Upvote 0

Aureus

May 20, 2014
✟9,262.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
I don't know what that means. :confused:

Your moral is "Keep it Simple Stupid"

The problem, writing in space. Your story, NASA wasted money doing something that wasn't needed, making a space pen while the Russians just kept it simple, stupid, and used a pencil! There's a major problem with this story. It doesn't even convey your moral without lying to the audience. 'Keeping it simple, stupid' results in the continued use of pencils in space. Pencils in space are potentially deadly. They can destroy your sensitive equipment. They can ruin your experiments. Pencil lead and bits of wood floating around in 0 g just spell a bad day for everyone. They were greasing the pencils to try and solve some of this but the solution was not satisfactory to anyone, it was just dealt with.

But whats reality?

Reality is that NASA was using Pencils. Russia was using Pencils. They both recognized there were problems with pencils in space and wanted a better solution but couldn't justify spending the money to develop it. So a private company stepped in, developed the solution and then sold that product to both sides. Solving a significant problem for both sides. Whats the moral of this story? That private enterprise and ingenuity will provide the answer that government won't or can't.

I like my story and moral more. Its true, it makes sense and oh right its the truth.

But hey, if you want to lie to people with a story full of holes that's your business. Though I'm pretty sure lying is a sin.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
They were greasing the pencils to try and solve some of this but the solution was not satisfactory to anyone, it was just dealt with.
Mechanical pencils don't work in space?

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟860,379.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Your moral is "Keep it Simple Stupid"

The problem, writing in space. Your story, NASA wasted money doing something that wasn't needed, making a space pen while the Russians just kept it simple, stupid, and used a pencil! There's a major problem with this story. It doesn't even convey your moral without lying to the audience. 'Keeping it simple, stupid' results in the continued use of pencils in space. Pencils in space are potentially deadly. They can destroy your sensitive equipment. They can ruin your experiments. Pencil lead and bits of wood floating around in 0 g just spell a bad day for everyone. They were greasing the pencils to try and solve some of this but the solution was not satisfactory to anyone, it was just dealt with.

But whats reality?

Reality is that NASA was using Pencils. Russia was using Pencils. They both recognized there were problems with pencils in space and wanted a better solution but couldn't justify spending the money to develop it. So a private company stepped in, developed the solution and then sold that product to both sides. Solving a significant problem for both sides. Whats the moral of this story? That private enterprise and ingenuity will provide the answer that government won't or can't.

I like my story and moral more. Its true, it makes sense and oh right its the truth.

But hey, if you want to lie to people with a story full of holes that's your business. Though I'm pretty sure lying is a sin.

I honestly wasn't expecting you to double-down on that. :) Half-way through your story, I got bored so I did some research on "The Boy Who Cried Wolf". Guess what? There was no boy, and there was no wolf! Can't use that anymore. I did return to your story and finished it, and no offense but I like mine better.

ETA: I forgot to mention that I actually did like the different moral of your story.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aureus

May 20, 2014
✟9,262.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Mechanical pencils don't work in space?

The tips break

I honestly wasn't expecting you to double-down on that. :) Half-way through your story, I got bored so I did some research on "The Boy Who Cried Wolf". Guess what? There was no boy, and there was no wolf! Can't use that anymore. I did return to your story and finished it, and no offense but I like mine better.

ETA: I forgot to mention that I actually did like the different moral of your story.

And so you continue to blindly miss the point. "The boy who cried wolf" is a work of fiction with no assertion that it is true. Your 'NASA wastes money on pens, Russians use pencils' asserts itself as being true. Which is something of a problem to honest people.

Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0