1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2. Faith Options in Your User Profile
    Please click on the following regarding this important notice in Announcements:

Faith Options in Your User Profile.

What is the difference between a Full Gospel and a Pentecostal church?

Discussion in 'Pentecostal/Assemblies of God' started by bdiddie4christ, Feb 7, 2013.

1. bdiddie4christ

bdiddie4christ the happy go luckie guy

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    I've been going to Full Gospel churches for a while now and enjoy them very much. Just never really knew the difference between them and a Pentecostal church. So yes. How are they different? :confused:

2. toolmanjantzi

toolmanjantzi Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    It has to do with being apart of the Pentacostal Assemblies or just associated with. Meaning they adhere to the general doctrines of pentacostolism, but the church is not apart of the whole body of Pentecostals.

3. stormdancer0

stormdancer0 Do not be so open-minded that your brain falls out

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Pentecostal
    Most Full Gospels that I've met do not believe in the Trinity - there is only one God, no "Father, Son, and Holy Spirit." Not sure which one they believe in.

4. toolmanjantzi

toolmanjantzi Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Then I am off a bit. Universalists like T.D. Jakes then. I went to a Gospel Centre. They beloved in the trinity.

5. Bob Carabbio

Bob Carabbio Old guy -

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Charismatic
    "I've been going to Full Gospel churches for a while now and enjoy them very much. Just never really knew the difference between them and a Pentecostal church. So yes. How are they different?"

ALL "Pentecostal", and "Charismatic" churches ARE "FULL GOSPEL" by definition.

"Full Gospel" was a generic term coined back in the early 20th century in response to the widely held orthodox "CESSATIONISM" beliefs that argued passionately that the "Gifts" and "Spiritual ministries" that characterized the Early church had been withdrawn by God, since they were no longer needed - generally related to some version of the formalization of the Biblical Canon which was supposedly "That which is Perfect" (1 Cor 13:10). Actually they just couldn't move in the gifts, and needed a theological rationalization for their inability.

And as such, were preaching and teaching a "Partial Gospel" devoid of the presence/continuation of the miraculous as a NORMAL Component of Christian Life.

And then the Holy Spirit began to be poured out on the visible churches in the middle of the 19th century and the Gifts, and miraculous ministries began to re-appear - the "FULL Gospel" was back.

WITHIN the "Full Gospel" genre are all sorts of weird and wild beliefs and denominational groups, but the common denominator is the belief in CONTINUATION of the miraculous in the Visible Church in 2013.

Because of the intermixing of Historic Pentecostals, and Charismatics these days there's not the earlier division where the Pentecostals tended to be Legalistic, and fundamentalistic in their practices, and the Charismatics were mostly Liberals, and Catholics, and tended not to be EITHER Legalistic, or Fundamentalistic at all.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  6. ltwin

ltwin Newbie

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Pentecostal
    Full Gospel is one of the names that denotes Pentecostalism. A lot of the earliest Pentecostal churches were called "Full Gospel Tabernacles." So, really, Full Gospel is a term like "Spirit-Filled." When someone says, I'm a Spirit-filled Christian, what they are saying is that they are part of the Pentecostal and charismatic movements, but for their own reasons they don't want to identify with any specific movement.

"Full Gospel" also relates to the four-fold or foursquare gospel of Pentecostalism: Jesus saves, Jesus baptizes with the Holy Spirit, Jesus heals, and Jesus is the soon coming King.

7. dayhiker

dayhiker Mature veteran

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Charismatic
    I've pretty much view full gospel as synonymous with pentecostal. No doubt some might try to make distinctions, but I'd think that was probably mostly the way a certain churches or preachers. But its been decades since I have heard these distinctions pushed as meaning anything important.

jannikitty likes this.
  8. D2wing

D2wing Newbie

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    I have never been in one like that. Perhaps a regional difference. A Full Gospel generally means they believe the whole Bible is the word of God and the only true authority on earth as opposed to a church, including the gifts of the Spirit. The ones I have been in believe in the Trinity.

9. jannikitty

jannikitty "...on eagle's wings..."

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Pentecostal
    Four Square! That's my church! And we certainly are "Full Gospel." :clap:

10. Bob Carabbio

Bob Carabbio Old guy -

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Charismatic
    The largest "Oneness" (Non-Trinitarian) Denominational group is the "United Pentecostal Church International" (UPCI) and they are a national "Full Gospel"/"Pentecostal" group with some SERIOUS Lunatic fringe characteristics.

11. ltwin

ltwin Newbie

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Pentecostal
    Where I'm from in South Carolina, full gospel is used as a synonym for Spirit-filled churches. I suppose Oneness Pentecostals use the term, but my church uses it and we're Trinitarian.

I've found that many Oneness Pentecostals refer to themselves as "Apostolics."

12. kspchemist

kspchemist Bible Thumper

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Constitution
    Faith:
    Pentecostal
    It is the same way here in Kentucky.