What is the difference between a disciple and a follower?

Status
Not open for further replies.

solo66 man

Jan 18, 2002
San Jose Ca.
✟6,958.00
It seems to me that followers are just that. Kind of like following a football team.
Whereas a disciple is chosen to be on the team. It is a much tougher road though. The follower is expected to do nothing. The disciple is expected to lose his life and be crucified with Jesus,
even to the point of suffering as He did.

As Dietrich Bonhoeffer put it,

"It is costly because it costs a man his life, and it is grace because it gives a man the only true life."

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
>>My question is, what is the difference between a disciple and a follower?

I think what your looking for is the difference between a disciple and a apostle. The difference is one of commission and the power they are given.

Today a apostle would be called a Bishop or lovingly they are called a pastors pastor. They ultimately are responsable that proper doctorine is set forth. They not only have authority over the pastors, but also the prophets and all other gifts. To see to it that the use of the gifts line up with God and the word of God.

Upvote 0

StogusMaximus

Feb 5, 2002
Visit site
✟4,841.00
Faith
Protestant
Definitions:

Follower - One who subscribes to the teachings or methods of another
Disciple - One who embraces and assists in spreading the teachings of another.
Apostle - One of a group made up especially of the 12 disciples chosen by Jesus to preach the gospel.

Any body who accepts Jesus as Savior is a follower, any follower who spreads the Word is a Disciple and 12 disciples became Apostles.

Please study this, it will be on the SAT.

Upvote 0
Disciple=Doesn't disciple denote disipline?
If it does,then a disciple would be one who disiplined himself to the doctrine of the Jesus.

I've never really thought about the followers but purhaps they have not entered the above,and although they believe may not want ,or have not added any personal disipline based on Jesus teachings to their lives,so are naturally not disciples.
I imagine these people are of many different growths in their walk but are not of the listed 12 so are called followers.I'd always thought there could have been many disciples but the 12 disciples always where perrhaps the first and walked with Jesus.
When Jesus sent out the 70.............I see them as disciples because they where certainly not just followers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mandy

Dec 28, 2001
California
Visit site
✟7,109.00
Well, Jesus said, "deny yourself, pick up your cross and follow Me."
Disciples are those learning under the instruction of a teacher, so I am not sure there is much difference. Or perhaps follower was meant in a physical sense. I think it depends on the sense in which follower is used. Am I making any sense? :D

I must say though that I don't believe that follower is a derogatory term.

I think all Christians are followers of Christ and we all should be under His teaching (disciples).

Upvote 0

RayNay714

Worshiper and Seeker
Feb 19, 2002
Kentucky
Visit site
✟807.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think that the difference between a disciple and a follower is the same difference as that between a friend and an aquaintance. The followers believed in Jesus, and followed his words, but the disciples were the ones whom Jesus spent the majority of his time with. That is how I feel. Maybe I am wrong, but I think its a pretty good analogy.

Upvote 0

Hishandmaiden

The Humble Servant
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2002
Singapore
✟35,969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hmm....what an interesting debate. I do have a bit of an idea of a disciple and a follower. But, I ask a question, again. Does it matter? If you follow Jesus with all your heart, and walked in his ways, and do what pleases God, I suppose it dosn't matter if you are called apostles, disciples, or followers. Feel free to disagree with me!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
If you look at the Gospels, you'll notice several times when Jesus was preaching and drew a crowd, then separated Himself from the crowd somehow, and only a few people followed Him. Once or twice He went up a hill, and a handful followed Him. Once he went across a lake, and a few followed Him. In essence, I think the main difference is the level of commitment.

The book, "Experiencing Spritual Breakthroughs" speaks of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd chair Christians. It describes 1st chair Christians as fully devoted followers of Jesus. These are people who have given their lives to Jesus and are walking with Him 24/7. These I would consider 'disciples'.

As the book describes them, 2nd chair Christians are what I call "Sunday Morning Christians". These people are in church every Sunday, and know everyone there, but as soon as Monday rolls around, they revert back to their own way. These might be what I would consider 'followers'.

The reason, I think, Jesus wants us to be 'disciples' is because discipleship is where His blessings are abundant, and our lives are lived to the fullest--just as He intended (John 10:10).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.