Sep 14, 2013
✟15,788.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have a question, and all my research online came to no answer and led to more controversy, but I am just wanting some answers and perhaps opinions and clarification.

The bible states many things that are sinful. Like drinking alcohol: the bible does not state it's a sin to drink alcohol, however drinking too much of it is a sin. just like eating is not a sin either, but eating too much is glutony - which is a sin.

there's nowhere in the bible that refers to masturbation. some say it's a sin if you lust for someone other than your spouse while you do it, and some say it's a sin period. opinions?

this comes to the issue of inappropriate contentography. If you are only using it as a visual aid and you are not lusting after the people in it is it still a sin? and if you see a pretty girl and it makes you not necessarily lust for that girl, but want to go have sex with your spouse, is it still wrong and considered lust? Yes, I enjoy seeing a nice looking woman naked, but it doesn't make me do crazy things to a nice looking woman. I keep it to myself and I'll go home and have fun with my wife or take care of it myself. is it still wrong?

I have struggled with masturbation and inappropriate content since I was 10. I used to struggle with it so bad that most of a lot of days in the past would probably be spent looking at inappropriate content. for the past couple years it has only been a few times a day though. After I decided to get right with God last year, I was able to give up some sins i had like drinking, but masturbating and inappropriate content i just couldn't. I gave it up for a week but that desire for it was still there so i was back at it again. but it wouldn't consume my day like it would in the past. just maybe 3 or 4 times a day, and just a couple minutes each time.

my biblical counselor told me inappropriate content and masturbation is wrong no matter when, how long, etc. it's all wrong period. after speaking to him, i felt convicted and quit for 3 weeks. but than i got those urges again and couldn't help myself. i do pray about it, and for forgiveness for it. and sometimes i feel bad and guilty for committing such acts, and other times i don't feel guilty about it at all. what is right and what is wrong?

thanks.

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe this paper will help with the question:

SIN IN MAN
An overview by Robert DeWitt​

According to C. I. Scofield: "sin is an act in violation of the revealed mind of God; a state in absence of righteousness; a nature in enmity toward God." It is a general term for that which is contrary to God, and includes all mankind (see Rom.3:10-12).

We might define state as the condition in which we dwell, and nature as that characteristic or motivation which moves us to practice certain things. The natural man (one who is of a basic and innate sinful characteristic, motivation, and practice) is not in conformity to God, and his state is in absence of Godly or true righteousness; therefore, he quite naturally exalts self, opposes God, and commits sinful acts.

As an act, Scofield described Scriptural references to sin as follows:
Transgression - an over-stepping of the law, the divine boundary between good and evil.
Iniquity - an act inherently wrong whether forbidden or not.
Error - departure from right.
Trespass - the intrusion of self into the sphere of divine authority.
Lawlessness - spiritual anarchy.

While sinfulness is the general term for the nature of man and all that is contrary to God, we might consider the various characteristics of sin shown in the Word of God. The flesh is our natural (or fallen nature) condition, and it will always seek to assert itself, even in believers. The carnal man is a true Christian who indulges his old nature and goes after the things of the world, rather than honor God. Evil is that which is ungodly and harmful acts and thoughts. Wickedness is injurious acts, vicious, dreadful, and most hated by God.

God says man is born in sin and so practices sin. That is why man must be "born again" (have a spiritual birth - John 3). The indwelling Holy Spirit gives the true believer a new nature, but as long as he is in the body ("tabernacle of flesh") he also has the old nature. He, therefore, ought to receive Christ and "reckon" himself dead to sin (Rom.6:11). This is a work in the soul done in communion with Christ in the secret of one's heart. It should then be manifested to all.

A major issue to consider, therefore, is whether we are talking about saved or unsaved souls. When the saved ones (saints of God) sin, they are expected to confess it, show repentance, and seek to be restored to fellowship with those they offended and with God (not concerning salvation, but fellowship). The matter of restoration does not apply to unsaved people, for they first need to be saved from the state and nature of sin. They need to receive Christ into their life, which speaks of a personal relationship and not just a belief.

WITHIN AND WITHOUT THE SALVATION OF GOD

In the Word of God we find in I Corinthians 5:12-13 there are those within and those without; and the apostle, Paul, says we should expect to see holiness in those within, but God will judge those without. How solemn it is to think that many are without the family of God, and without eternal life and blessings. If one is without Christ he is not in the universal church, and also should not be gathered in the local assembly of saints (though he is welcome to come as a visitor and learn).

Let us look at some verses of Scripture to see what it means to be without the salvation of God. In the epistle to the Hebrews 11:1-3 & 6 God tells us that "faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen; and "without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him".

God speaks of the Old Testament sacrifices and ordinances in Hebrews 9, which were a picture and type of the sacrifice of His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, who came in due time to shed His blood to cleanse sinful man. In verse 18-28 He tells us that "without blood" there is no remission of sin; and Christ sacrificed Himself and shed His blood to pay our debt to God.

At a time we were all "without Christ" and "without God" in the world (Ephesians 2:12-13), but some have come to God and received His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, and know the salvation of God by the Holy Spirit of promise.

There is a path for the saints of God, and He tells us in Hebrews 12 that it is a path of "holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord". God is holy and He calls us to holiness in His Son, who can make the sinner holy in the sight of God (I Corinthians 3:16-17; Hebrews 3:1; I Peter 1:15-16; etc.). Does the reader want to stand in that holiness with Christ, and be washed from their sins by His sacrificial blood; and live by faith in Him for all eternity? He says: "Him that cometh to Me, I will in no wise cast out" (John 6:37.
- R. L. D., '03

As referenced above, true Christians will sin at times, and God made provision for that in 1 John 1:9-10.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

skypair

Mar 7, 2013
Texas
✟468.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I have a question, and all my research online came to no answer and led to more controversy, but I am just wanting some answers and perhaps opinions and clarification.
Sin means "miss the mark." What "mark?" The righteousness of God. What is the righteousness of God for sexuality? One man-one woman marriage in love and in rejection of all others for the purpose of procreation.

Now I must say that I had your problem and what did I find? It led to worse. It led to divorce VERY unexpectedly. I did not think for a minute that it would happen until it did.

What I also found out is that, if it is curtailed, after not too long, you will lose your appetite for it. How God showed me to curtail it was to go to message boards like Rapture Ready (at the time) to blog in that time alone when I used to succumb to temptation. This was God's escape for me .. and seeing that you are here now, perhaps for you. Instead of inappropriate content, "study to show yourself approved unto God, a workman that need not be ashamed, rightly dividing the word." (2Tim 2:15)

This, perhaps, is God answering your prayer, mike. I had to do roughly the same thing with smoking .. replace that most tempting time with jogging — building up my body rather than tearing it down. I had to do that b/c it almost cost me my career.

BTW, there is a progression of God dealing with your sins. First He convicts your conscience — then He sends friends or relatives to point out the resulting personality defect that they can see — then God sends personal loss (financial, health, or honor) — and finally, there is a "sin unto death." Sin has consequences called "the wrath of God," Ro 1:18. They are meant to correct you but if not, so that "your spirit may be saved in the day of Jesus Christ," 1Cor 5:5.

skypair

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear mikeirvan. Everything we say or do which is without Love or Compassion,
is SIN. Think about it. God is Love, and God wants loving sons and daughters.
What is Love? Everything without anger, cruelty, malice, envy, or any unloving
thought or idea, is love or compassion, or kindness, or goodness etc. Even if we do not think of a name, but we all know: Love covers a multitude of sins.
God wants loving sons and daughters, and Love is very catching, with God`s help we all can be loving and caring. In Matthew 7: 7-10: we are told: " ask and you shall receive," we keep asking for Love and Joy, then thank God and share all with our neighbour. God will approve and bless us. Soon we will find that other people will treat us the same way as we treat people, Love will surround us wherever we are. Let us try and become loving men and women,
and show this imperfect world what LOVE CAN DO. I say this with love, mikeirvan. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ. SIN IS WITHOUT LOVE.

Upvote 0

skypair

Mar 7, 2013
Texas
✟468.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Dear mikeirvan. Everything we say or do which is without Love or Compassion, is SIN. Think about it. God is Love, and God wants loving sons and daughters.
Very good, Emmy! It is my understanding that the "law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus" that makes us "free from the law of sin and death" in the flesh is LOVE.

Why is it "law of the Spirit?" Because love is the only commandment Christ gave us — "love God .. love others as you love yourself." How does it do this? If we love God with all our heart and others as ourselves, we CANNOT sin against them. Love just does not comprehend the notion of sinning against those we love.

And true to what you say, love is a acme of the believers life in Christ, 2Pet 1:7. First, brotherly love (phileo) and then charity (agape — unconditional love).

skypair

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear convicted1. Anything that`s not of/with faith is sin.... I say this with love,
In 1) Corinthians 13: 13: Paul tells us: " And now abides faith, hope, love, these three;
but the greatest of these is Love." What is faith without love? Love covers a multitude of sins. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ

Upvote 0

skypair

Mar 7, 2013
Texas
✟468.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Dear convicted1. Anything that`s not of/with faith is sin.... I say this with love,
In 1) Corinthians 13: 13: Paul tells us: " And now abides faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is Love." What is faith without love? Love covers a multitude of sins. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ
Very good! Love is the test of faith, isn't it? Like 1Jn 4:21, 5:2, etc. tell us.

skypair

Upvote 0

USCGrad90

Seeker
Mar 19, 2013
Greenwood, South Carolina, USA
✟15,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
mikeirvan - what it sounds like you're really trying to do is determine is whether looking at inappropriate content and masturbating is sinful.
You stated some justification for your actions:
"If you are only using it as a visual aid and you are not lusting after the people in it is it still a sin? and if you see a pretty girl and it makes you not necessarily lust for that girl, but want to go have sex with your spouse, is it still wrong and considered lust?"
You're struggling, have felt guilt and have been told that it's not wrong - but you're still trying to justify that it's OK by getting our opinions.
My son has struggled with inappropriate content and I've recently been in conversations about this same issue. My opinion is that you ARE having lust for the women in the inappropriate content that you're using as stimulation. Regardless of how you meet your physical desires, you are satifying the visual and mental stimulation by looking at other women.
You try to minimize this by saying it's only 3-4 times a day for just a few minutes, but again, I think you're trying to justify that it's OK.
I've noted in other threads that inappropriate content is dangerous because it affects how we perceives sexually intimacy, affects our view of women, and creates a cycle where it takes more and more stimulation to satisfy our desire.
The bottom line to me is that if you can't control this urge to look at inappropriate content on a daily basis, then it is a problem.
To be honest - I'm a normal guy married for 22 years with 2 teenage daughters and a teenage son and I struggle with thoughts when I see a pretty woman, see nudity in a movie or see women in photos with revealing clothing. I love my wife and would never have an affair, but I don't think it's honoring my commitment to her and God if I satisfy my desires by thinking about other women I have seen. Yeah, it's hard and sometimes I fail, but I still have to be honest that I do fail and ask for forgiveness.
No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. 1 Corinthians 10:13

Upvote 0

Avid

A Pilgrim and a Sojourner...
Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
... In 1) Corinthians 13: 13: Paul tells us: " And now abides faith, hope, love, these three;
but the greatest of these is Love." What is faith without love? Love covers a multitude of sins...
What do the scriptures say sin is? What is SIN according to God? That is what is important. Some people will Zero-In on ONE of these, and ignore the rest. If we seek the LORD on the matter, and consult His word, we will not be confused, or deceived as to what is SIN before the LORD.

Proverbs 14
34 ¶ Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people.

Proverbs 21
4 ¶ An high look, and a proud heart, and the plowing of the wicked, is sin.

Proverbs 24
9 The thought of foolishness is sin: and the scorner is an abomination to men.

Romans 14
23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

I Corinthians 15
56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.

James 4
17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

I John 3
4 ¶ Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

I John 5
17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.
If we identify only one of these as being sin, it may mean that we are not understanding all of what the scriptures say on the matter. If we say there is only one thing that is important, because it is considered "greatest" in a list of things of great things, and then think that is all we need to know, we, again, will miss something vital to what the LORD told us in His word.

There is something specific in each of these verses that say what sin is. Look to see, especially in Proverbs 21:4, that even the correct behavior of a person who is wicked (Natural Man, Fallen Man, the Old Man, etc.,) is SIN. Plowing your field to prepare to feed your family, etc., is a correct behavior, and keeps things from going from bad to worse. That is still sin, because the wicked do it for themselves, which is their motive for everything anyway.

God does NOT regard any of the things done in the FLESH of the Fallen Human Nature of Man. These people are still under the LAW of God, and whether they commit murder, steal or simply cut their grass on Saturday, they are committing sin according to I John 3:4.

Confusion ensues as we mix the intent of God's word in describing the unregenerate man and the New Creature using the same criteria. God promised to fulfill His law in the hearts of people He saves, and makes into a new creation. He gives them a heart to seek the right things. THIS is where the matter of LOVE has any bearing. Who cares what an unregenerate person loves? The whole direction of his heart is to do things that benefit and please SELF. The law is over him, and, as Jesus stated in Matthew 5:18-28, his very thoughts and motives are sin for him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Avid

Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
... you're still trying to justify that it's OK by getting our opinions....

... I think you're trying to justify that it's OK...
:thumbsup: :amen:
This shows the motivation of the heart, and is what EVERYONE must deal with expressly before the LORD.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Avid

Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
... i got those urges again and couldn't help myself...
It truly matters less the exact thing that takes you by temptation. The fact that temptation takes you, and you respond is where the problem occurs. Pray to the LORD for this, and for His help. If there is any hope for you or any of us, it is in the LORD.
Romans 6
12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
Look unto Jesus Christ, as He is the Author and Finisher of the faith that will help you with this or any other issue. Temptation comes to everyone. Yielding to temptation is the problem, not temptation in itself.
Hebrews 4
15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

James 5
17 Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months.
Everyone has a body that has lust desires needs and wants. It is important we seek the LORD to help us, and He has promised to do so for His elect.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Avid. In 1) Corinthians 13: !3: Paul tells us simply and straightforward: Now abides faith, hope, love, these three: but the greatest of these is LOVE, and I say this with love, Avid, why always make this simple statement so very complicated? We all know Love, and what love can do. In Luke 10: 25-28: Jesus tells the Lawyer who asked Him: " Master, what must I do to inherit eternal life?" Jesus tells him quite simply:
" You know the two Commandments of Loving God above all else and loving your neighbour as you love yourself? DO THIS AND YOU SHALL LIVE. what is so hard to understand, and why make it sound so complicated? God wants our Love, freely given and NO conditions tagged on. Love covers many different words, why choose some which many of us do not even understand. We all know LOVE, whether Agape, Philo, or Eros,
why not leave it simply WITH LOVE OR WITHOUT LOVE. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

MurphreeJ

Nov 17, 2014
✟7,775.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As in Romans 14:23

"But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and whatever is not from faith is sin."

In other words, if you think it may be sin, and you do it anyway, it IS sin to you. You would not have been concerned enough to ask if you didn't already know that you were sinning.

The solution is to ask God in faith to help you overcome the sin in your life.

Yes, we all sin, but if The Lord has put it on your heart that you need to stop then you need to ask Him to help you do so and follow His guidance.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear mikeirvan. Much is said about " what is really considered sin?" Jesus tells us in Matthew 22: 35-40: " The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all our hearts, with all our souls, and with all our minds. The second
is like it: Love our neighbour as we love OURSELVES." Jesus also tells us:
" On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets."
Sin is: whenever we do not Love God with all our hearts, with all our souls,
and with all our minds. That is straightforward and easily remembered.
Sin is also: when we do NOT love our neighbour as we love OURSELVES.
Straightforward and easily remembered. We start by treating all we know and all we meet, friends as well as not friends, we must treat them as we would love to be treated. Only we and God know HOW that is. Notice also, we need not to cuddle or be sweet to them, we simply treat them as WE WOULD LOVE TO BE TREATED always considerate and with love. We might stumble and forget at times, but then we ask God to forgive us, and carry on being kind and loving. I say this with love, mikeirvan. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums