What is "Orthodox Christianity"?

Jeo7

Apr 5, 2014
✟725.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Is it the Christianity established by Roman rulers and leaders to satisfy Roman states? You know.... When Christians were being murdered because of the movement Jesus brought to a Pagan world (Rome). The Romans were smart though, and they practically CREATED Christianity. Because if you're educated in Christian history, you would know there was no such thing as ONE Christianity. They were MANY Christian groups who followed the teachings of Jesus. Some followed the common gospels, and other a more "advance" gospel which of course, was condemned HERASY by guess who??? The Roman leaders and Church founders :)
The funny thing is that the common Christians accepted AT ONE POINT the advance gospels.......oh but the Romans didn't like how those teachings gave the people of Christ POWER, so they created a movement to ERADICATE such heresy !! And they did a great job !!
So, what is "Orthodox Christianity"??? The Christianity that was put together by the Romans to satisfy both Pagans and Jews/Gentiles??

Last edited:
Reactions: psalms 91

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know that. But I don't think you understood the message.

Your question is rather vague. Is this in response to the updated forum rules that calls for orthodox Christianity on the congregational boards?

From the FAQ:

Congregational Forum Restrictions and orthodox Christian Only Forums
Members who do not truly share the core beliefs and teachings of a specific congregational forum may post in fellowship or ask questions, but they may not teach or debate within the forum. There are forums reserved for orthodox Christian members only. Please do not post in these forums unless you are truly a Nicene Creed, Trinitarian Christian (please see our Statement of Faith to know exactly what that is). If you wish to discuss unorthodox doctrines, you may do so in the Unorthodox Doctrinal Discussion forum.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
the best most acccurate (in line with scripture) description of othodox christianity is found in the books printed by cfp (christian fellowship publishers).
e.w. bullinger might also have described it accurately, as he was very astute and correct about many things in the word of god.
but cfp published the only good books that described it that i know of, out of many thousands of (so-called by others) 'good' books others claim.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
(while i was typing bryan posted from the rules)
which i almost put the last sentence
"but we're not allowed to post the description here"

I recently wrote a paper for school on false prophets and false teachers where I used my experiences here and on other internet forums to illustrate the increased reach that the internet offers those who teach false (which includes out of context) information.

In the past, a false prophet/teacher could only reach a local body of believers who could then use their own discernment to evaluate his statements and reject them, if necessary.

But, today, the false teacher/prophet has immediate and global reach and it is often to isolated believers who have no congregation to help them understand what is being said. One could say the Holy Spirit is all they need, but it is human nature to ignore the Holy Spirit when they hear something that they want to hear. This is why the isolated believer who thinks he has moved beyond the church is a danger to himself, and now thanks to the internet, he can be a danger to others.

Sometimes, I hate CF's rules too, but they do have a responsibility to keep the unorthodox teachings where they belong. The Nicene/Apostles Creeds and Trinitarian Christianity have been a standard for 1600+ years and that is a good definition of orthodoxy. Its not like CF is mandating a specific bible translation, eschatology, or nature of communion as their definition of orthodox.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
yes, the false and the true are present.
i think it is written many false will be present proclaiming their message,
while not many true, as i found in my few years on earth too...>

i was (or could have been. could be? (rules change state to state) ) an orthodox christian once for a time.
i was an unorthodox christian once for a time.
i was lutheran for a long time (most of my life)(still am considered lutheran by the local lutheran church).
i attended baptist and methodist churches for stretches at different times.

no matter where i went, i was, and am, a christian, faithful to jesus.
i met christians faithful to jesus in each church (as far as i know).
i met scribes and pharisees in each church (as far as i know).
i met judases (judaai?) in each church (as far as i know).
i met simons in many churches (as far as i know).

just like jesus in his travels, and the apostles in their travels,
there were the faithful they met, whether few or many, in each town.
there were the unfaithful they met, also, whether few or many, in each town.
there were the righteous they met or saw, and the unrighteous.
and they(jesus and those called and set apart for the gospel) simply spoke what the Creator Yhwh gave them to speak. LIFE!- a sweet odor to those who are saved, while at the exact same time being the odor of death to those who are not saved, exactly as it is written in scripture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
CHRIST CRUCIFIED is my message, not orthodox, not unorthodox,
orthodox, and unorthodox,
in every place, in every town, in every church,
CHRIST CRUCIFIED !

CRUCIFIED and RESURRECTED and ASCENDED to HEAVEN is the message of orthodox Christianity. Jesus lives.

Upvote 0

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is it the Christianity established by Roman rulers and leaders to satisfy Roman states? You know.... When Christians were being murdered because of the movement Jesus brought to a Pagan world (Rome). The Romans were smart though, and they practically CREATED Christianity. Because if you're educated in Christian history, you would know there was no such thing as ONE Christianity. They were MANY Christian groups who followed the teachings of Jesus. Some followed the common gospels, and other a more "advance" gospel which of course, was condemned HERASY by guess who??? The Roman leaders and Church founders :)
The funny thing is that the common Christians accepted AT ONE POINT the advance gospels.......oh but the Romans didn't like how those teachings gave the people of Christ POWER, so they created a movement to ERADICATE such heresy !! And they did a great job !!
So, what is "Orthodox Christianity"??? The Christianity that was put together by the Romans to satisfy both Pagans and Jews/Gentiles??

This web page will define it one way, the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox churches might define it another, and the guy down the street yet another way.

In my humble opinion, this type of varying definitions occur so often in the Christian community because we collectively get so hung up on being an <insert denomination> rather than just being Christians... it's a symptom of the schism in the community of believers.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
was paul orthodox or unorthodox then ? >

1 Corinthians 1:17-23

English Standard Version (ESV)

17 For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.
Christ the Wisdom and Power of God

18 For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written,

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,
and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart.”

20 Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach[a] to save those who believe. 22 For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, 23 but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles

1 Corinthians 2
Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)
2 As for me, brothers, when I arrived among you, it was not with surpassing eloquence or wisdom that I came announcing to you the previously concealed truth about God; 2 for I had decided that while I was with you I would forget everything except Yeshua the Messiah, and even him only as someone who had been executed on a stake as a criminal. 3 Also I myself was with you as somebody weak, nervous and shaking all over from fear; 4 and neither the delivery nor the content of my message relied on compelling words of “wisdom” but on a demonstration of the power of the Spirit, 5 so that your trust might not rest on human wisdom but on God’s power.

Upvote 0

Norah63

Jun 29, 2011
everlasting hills
✟14,569.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And today also if one comes preaching Jesus Christ the son of God, crucified and raised again from the grave to sit at the Father's right hand, coming again in glory to gather his own. Let that one have the power to heal and deliver, even with their shadow as Peter did. They will find great many that are in need. Let the power flow.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
was paul orthodox or unorthodox then ? >

1 Corinthians 1:17-23

English Standard Version (ESV)

17 For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.
Christ the Wisdom and Power of God

18 For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written,

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,
and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart.”

20 Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach[a] to save those who believe. 22 For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, 23 but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles

1 Corinthians 2
Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)
2 As for me, brothers, when I arrived among you, it was not with surpassing eloquence or wisdom that I came announcing to you the previously concealed truth about God; 2 for I had decided that while I was with you I would forget everything except Yeshua the Messiah, and even him only as someone who had been executed on a stake as a criminal. 3 Also I myself was with you as somebody weak, nervous and shaking all over from fear; 4 and neither the delivery nor the content of my message relied on compelling words of “wisdom” but on a demonstration of the power of the Spirit, 5 so that your trust might not rest on human wisdom but on God’s power.

This is what I'm talking about. You find verses that do not specifically mention resurrection or ascension and you hint at the idea that they do not matter. Be honest. Do you really think that Paul refused to believe in Christ's resurrection or that his resurrection is meaningless?

A person should seek out the prooftexts that DISPROVE his theology, not the ones that seem to prove it.

We're in Holy Week. The resurrection is the proof that Jesus is what he said he was and that what he said was true. Prophets and Great Men do not get resurrected. The Cross was the atonment, but the resurrection was the fulfillment of the promise of life everlasting. They go together like peas and carrots.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jeo7

Apr 5, 2014
✟725.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
If it was created by the Romans for political purposes, is it really Christian?
Is our understanding of Christianity today, the understanding of Christianity our early brothers and sisters fought and died for?
Remember, after Rome politically agreed on turning their Empire Christian, many other Christians were still fighting and dying for their cause. Why?? Because the Romans created a DOGMA, mixing both Paganism and Christianity into ONE religion. Please note, Constantine and his politicians did a great job creating a dogma which functioned (still does) to control and manipulate its people. Remember what happened 1000 years after Constantine, The Dark Ages.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If it was created by the Romans for political purposes, is it really Christian?
Is our understanding of Christianity today, the understanding of Christianity our early brothers and sisters fought and died for?
Remember, after Rome politically agreed on turning their Empire Christian, many other Christians were still fighting and dying for their cause. Why?? Because the Romans created a DOGMA, mixing both Paganism and Christianity into ONE religion. Please note, Constantine and his politicians did a great job creating a dogma which functioned (still does) to control and manipulate its people. Remember what happened 1000 years after Constantine, The Dark Ages.

The Dark Ages occurred from the 5th to the 15th century. 1000 years after Constantine, they were drawing to a close. But, let's look at the Dark Ages.

They did not happen because of Christianity or the church in Rome. In fact, the church with its inflexible dogma and manmade rules preserved much of what we now know as ancient history. In a time when the empire had collapsed and western civilization was teetering on paganism and anarchy, the ONLY force for order was the church in Rome (or France, or wherever the Pope was at any particular time). Despite the excesses of the Roman church, all of western civilization owes it a great debt. I'm sure that God had a hand in making them be the right church at the right time.

Without the power of the church in Rome, Christianity would be a small middle eastern religion because that church had the power and foresight to bring pagans in. They converted the Vikings, the Germans, the Franks, the Anglo-Saxons, the Celts. Without the power of the Roman church, Islam would have conquered Europe and settled the Americas. The loose collection of house churches found in Acts could not have accomplished that feat.

History, like scripture, must always be examined in context. You can't take a fact from history and use it to build a story without looking at everything that happened around it.

God sends people, pastors, churches, and even doctrines and dogmas to the right place at the right time to further his kingdom. Sometimes, when their time has passed, we look back and only see the bad that they did, but we have the luxury of doing that because of the good that they did.

Upvote 0

Jeo7

Apr 5, 2014
✟725.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
The Dark Ages occurred from the 5th to the 15th century. 1000 years after Constantine, they were drawing to a close. But, let's look at the Dark Ages.

They did not happen because of Christianity or the church in Rome. In fact, the church with its inflexible dogma and manmade rules preserved much of what we now know as ancient history. In a time when the empire had collapsed and western civilization was teetering on paganism and anarchy, the ONLY force for order was the church in Rome (or France, or wherever the Pope was at any particular time). Despite the excesses of the Roman church, all of western civilization owes it a great debt. I'm sure that God had a hand in making them be the right church at the right time.

Without the power of the church in Rome, Christianity would be a small middle eastern religion because that church had the power and foresight to bring pagans in. They converted the Vikings, the Germans, the Franks, the Anglo-Saxons, the Celts. Without the power of the Roman church, Islam would have conquered Europe and settled the Americas. The loose collection of house churches found in Acts could not have accomplished that feat.

History, like scripture, must always be examined in context. You can't take a fact from history and use it to build a story without looking at everything that happened around it.

God sends people, pastors, churches, and even doctrines and dogmas to the right place at the right time to further his kingdom. Sometimes, when their time has passed, we look back and only see the bad that they did, but we have the luxury of doing that because of the good that they did.

Dood please. The Roman Church at one point declared ownership of the Bible to be a Herasy to God. No one was able to read the bible but the "Holy" ones from within the Church itself. Not to mention, the ones that can read Latin because all other translations were ERADICATED. And this is where "Orthodox Christianity" originated? Also, not saying killing thousands to spread Christianity or to prevent other Dogmas to dominate their land wasn't a bad thing at all....right?
I'm sure God allowed everthing to happen....right? Im sure that was the way Jesus wanted to spread the Word....RIGHT??

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I'm sure God allowed everthing to happen....right? Im sure that was the way Jesus wanted to spread the Word....RIGHT??

God gave man free will, we can use if for good or for evil. However if you step away from the faith in Christ, you have nothing. We can not correct the wrongs of the past, we can only seek out what the Holy Spirit wishes to teach us today.

I once was were you are, looking at the history of Christianity and wondering what was kept out, or miss represented. The Lord corrected me and told me to get grounded in the word we have today, to seek out his guidance in everything I do, and not worry about the past. It is good to study the history, but don't let it lead you away from what God wants for you.

Upvote 0

tremble

^.^/
Feb 15, 2014
✟16,927.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

There is an easy way to work that out. How did Jesus and his followers live compared to how most Christians live today?

Jesus and his followers lived communally, sharing all things in common. They forsook personal ownership of possessions and taught others to do the same along with them.

They quit their carpentry jobs, fishing jobs, and tax jobs to go preach the gospel full time. They used their time to work for love and trusted that God would provide the things they needed.

In the book of Acts, Jesus' people followed this lifestyle too, and they were accused of being the people who "turned the world upside down".

Upvote 0