Bellingham, WA
✟79,514.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We are told in the bible to judge not, lest we be judged, for that with which we judge we should also be judged.

We are also told, however, that it is not our duty to judge outside the church but within it.

So, just what is judging?

Today it seems that everytime someone says something bad about someone there is a cry of "why are you judging?"

It seems to me that people do not understand what judging is in the first place.

If I say "you are not supposed to commit homosexual acts", is that judging? No. If I say "you are not suppsed to commit homosexual acts, and because you do you are not welcome as a member of our church" is that judging? Yes, although rightously. What is the difference between the two? The penalty we impose. Without penalty there is no judgement.

There was a discussion going on where I think the OP believes I reported them for cussing, which I did not (if I had realized the OP believed this earlier my responses would of been much different). In the end the the OP stated that they didn't want any advice, they had come to vent. I said fine, I was done and "I wish the pity party would end".

This is not the thread as to what I should, or should not, of said, that is for another thread please. Please try to stay on topic about judging, not my ability to communicate well.

I agree that was not the most sensitive thing to say although the reason I had said it was to try to get the OP to think about what a pity party was. Also, I had mistakenly thought that the "veteran" under their name meant they were a veteran of the website so I had, mistakenly, thought they had been around for a while. In hindsight I would not of said this or would of tried to express my thoughts in a different way. Experience is a great teacher. The OP expressed their feelings on this, I had actually made them think about it which was my intention, but before I could respond with what I had meant someone ( @ToBeJudged ) accuses me of judging.

The thread quickly desolved into, "I'm not judging...", "yes you were", etc... with the OP dropping out without me able to further the conversation as was my intention. Yes, it was my intention to make the OP think and respond.

Now, the issue is, how is stating "I wish this pity party would end" judging by any means? It could be considered heartless by some, I agree. It could be considered rude, I agree. But, how was it judging?

Did I change my opinion of the OP in any way? Other than feel more compassion for them, no. Did I exclude the OP from anything? No.

Somehow people have gotten it in their minds that expressing one's thoughts is judging. Somehow people have gotten it into their minds that telling someone where we think they are wrong is judging. Somehow people have gotten it into their minds that saying something someone does not want to hear is judging. Don't you dare reprove someone, that is judging. Don't you dare tell someone they are sinning, that is judging.

Our current English word for judging, I think, is the problem. One of the definitions of our English word is "form an opinion or conclusion about" but that is not what the bible is talking about. We are told throughout the bible that this is a good thing (judge within yourself).

What the bible actually means by judgement is the other type of definition, "to pass sentence on; condemn" and as saying "I wish this pity party would end" is neither passing sentance on or condemning.

The reason I know this is the definition intended because people in the bible were constantly expressing their opinion on things. We are told in the bible to rebuke each other as Christians, if this was judging we would not of been told to do this. We are told to correct each other, if this was judging we would not of been told to do this.

I see numerous examples in the bible where rightous men (Apostles, prophets, etc...) say things that so many people would jump up as yell "YOU ARE JUDGING". In fact, in this other thread I used a few times the words of Jesus Himself, and was further accused of judging.

So, tell me, how are we to rebuke others if rebuking is judging?

1 Timothy 5:20 Them that sin rebuke before all, that others also may fear.

According to these people claiming "Judgement!" that would be judging. Since we are told to do this it obviously (to me) isn't.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Goodbook

Gwen-is-new!

The Lord is my rock!
Feb 25, 2016
United States
✟27,741.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
You nailed it here:

Somehow people have gotten it in their minds that expressing one's thoughts is judging. Somehow people have gotten it into their minds that telling someone where we think they are wrong is judging. Somehow people have gotten it into their minds that saying something someone does not want to hear is judging. Don't you dare reprove someone, that is judging. Don't you dare tell someone they are sinning, that is judging

This is a good topic, but I'm not sure it can resolved (for lack of a better word) biblically or otherwise. I think as long as we are still carrying some flesh/natural man around (we always will be), and as long as we are at different places in our spiritual journey (transformation/sanctification) which we always will be -- exactly what judging is will always be a grey area.

I'm not comfortable inviting a lesbian to church. I love them, don't think their sin is worse than any of mine, and would love to lead them to Christ via my witness, faith, and repentance, but I don't believe they should come to church YET -- my stance gets me POUNDED into the ground. By why did Paul kick people out of church? Jesus came to seek and save the lost, hung out with sinners, etc.. but does that mean to invite them to church? okay, I won't derail.

I had a friend who's daughter was shacking up, and she seemed to be okay with it, and I told her it was wrong, and she called me a judgmental Baptist with an exaggerated form of religion... and ended our 7 yr friendship.

So, like I said, this is a good topic but a REALLY difficult one for the reasons I mentioned in my first paragraph.

Your story of being misundeerstood IS the norm :( and I think it's a form of Christian persecution.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Jim Langston
Upvote 0

Jim Langston

Non denominational fundamentalist
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2005
Bellingham, WA
✟79,514.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You nailed it here:

This is a good topic, but I'm not sure it can resolved (for lack of a better word) biblically or otherwise. I think as long as we are still carrying some flesh/natural man around (we always will be), and as long as we are at different places in our spiritual journey (transformation/sanctification) which we always will be -- exactly what judging is will always be a grey area.

I'm not comfortable inviting a lesbian to church. I love them, don't think their sin is worse than any of mine, and would love to lead them to Christ via my witness, faith, and repentance, but I don't believe they should come to church YET -- my stance gets me POUNDED into the ground. By why did Paul kick people out of church? Jesus came to seek and save the lost, hung out with sinners, etc.. but does that mean to invite them to church? okay, I won't derail.

I had a friend who's daughter was shacking up, and she seemed to be okay with it, and I told her it was wrong, and she called me a judgmental Baptist with an exaggerated form of religion... and ended our 7 yr friendship.

So, like I said, this is a good topic but a REALLY difficult one for the reasons I mentioned in my first paragraph.

Your story of being misundeerstood IS the norm :( and I think it's a form of Christian persecution.

Good post. The only thing I would do different is invite a lesbian/gay friend to church, but they should not be allowed to become a member until they repent. I think this is a matter of opinion, though. Some may feel that only sanctified people should be allowed in the church building at all. Some, like me, feel that the church building is the perfect place to learn about repentance and salvation. Do we only invite saved people to church, or do we invite everyone so that they can learn to be saved? An argument for either case could be shown from the bible equally, I think, but I would consider not inviting someone because they are homosexual as the definition of judging. Note: I see a great distiction between attending church and being a (voting) member of church, others may not, and it may be true that in some congregations no distinction is made.

Also, I consider the church to be comprised of those who have repented and are born again, not a Christian tabernacle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Judgment is not something that can be generalized, as such. An example of judgment would be two people in a church come to the elders with a problem, and ask for a judgment to reconcile the problem between them. Or, if an elder of the church is found stealing from the collection, and rebuked before all. These are examples of necessary judgment.

But if a person isn't asking for judgment in some matter? Standing on a street corner shouting "You shouldn't be doing [sin]" is bad judgment, and is only condemning the one doing the "judging" because he is guilty of sin (even, all sin: James 2:10-11).

The question usually comes around when Christians judge other people without it being necessary; and this isn't good judgment at all. The real problem with such judgment is, how do you know you're right? There are probably scores of Christians who would suggest you're misunderstanding something, and perhaps now your judgment is based on poor understanding? Judgment is something not to be taken so lightly, and I seriously doubt many have the capacity for it, in the end. Incompetent judgment can be highly destructive, unedifying, and just plain, devlish.

Upvote 0

Jim Langston

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2005
Bellingham, WA
✟79,514.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'll let my signature picture below state my feeling on it. :) And yes I realize I list the same verse twice, accident.

Since I am on mobile I do not a signature picture, can you please tell me what it says?

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
You nailed it here:

I view the Mt 7 passage as simply proverbial, Jesus expressing a truism about judging others, namely that they we'll react by judging you in kind.

Obviously Jesus and his apostles do a massive amount of judging. In fact it says, "he who is spiritual judges all things" 1Cor 2:15

Upvote 0

Jim Langston

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2005
Bellingham, WA
✟79,514.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Judgment is not something that can be generalized, as such. An example of judgment would be two people in a church come to the elders with a problem, and ask for a judgment to reconcile the problem between them. Or, if an elder of the church is found stealing from the collection, and rebuked before all. These are examples of necessary judgment.

But if a person isn't asking for judgment in some matter? Standing on a street corner shouting "You shouldn't be doing [sin]" is bad judgment, and is only condemning the one doing the "judging" because he is guilty of sin (even, all sin: James 2:10-11).

The question usually comes around when Christians judge other people without it being necessary; and this isn't good judgment at all. The real problem with such judgment is, how do you know you're right? There are probably scores of Christians who would suggest you're misunderstanding something, and perhaps now your judgment is based on poor understanding? Judgment is something not to be taken so lightly, and I seriously doubt many have the capacity for it, in the end. Incompetent judgment can be highly destructive, unedifying, and just plain, devlish.

You have repeatedly used "judgement" in your comment, yet have not expressed what judgement is (that I can tell).

If you believe that standing on a street corner preaching is bad Judgement, then what about Jesus preaching in the streets? Or did you mean something else? What about Paul being wipped for doing the same thing? What about John the Baptist being beheaded because he told the king that having sexual relationships with his sister-in-law was a sin? According to what I read in the bible, standing on a street corner preaching the word of God would be a good thing.

Perhaps I misunderstand what you are trying to express.

Upvote 0

Jim Langston

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2005
Bellingham, WA
✟79,514.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I view the Mt 7 passage as simply proverbial, Jesus expressing a truism about judging others, namely that they we'll react by judging you in kind.

Obviously Jesus and his apostles do a massive amount of judging. In fact it says, "he who is spiritual judges all things" 1Cor 2:15

This is the problem with translating to English. In Matthew 7:1 the greek words "κρίνετε" and "κριθῆτε" are used which we translate to "judge" and "judged" respectively.

In 1 Corinthians 2:15 the greek word "ἀνακρίνει" is used which we translate to "judges".

As we can see, these are too totally different words, different Greek roots. This is what I was talking about with the word "judge" having different meanings in English. The bible is saying two different things, but without careful study we think they are talking about the same thing.

Upvote 0

Gwen-is-new!

The Lord is my rock!
Feb 25, 2016
United States
✟27,741.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I'll let my signature picture below state my feeling on it. :) And yes I realize I list the same verse twice, accident.

I like your signature picture - reminds me of these:

Proverbs 27:17
Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another

Proverbs 27:6
Faithful are the wounds of a friend; profuse are the kisses of an enemy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
This is the problem with translating to English. In Matthew 7:1 the greek words "κρίνετε" and "κριθῆτε" are used which we translate to "judge" and "judged" respectively.

In 1 Corinthians 2:15 the greek word "ἀνακρίνει" is used which we translate to "judges".

As we can see, these are too totally different words, different Greek roots. This is what I was talking about with the word "judge" having different meanings in English. The bible is saying two different things, but without careful study we think they are talking about the same thing.

Again are the many and varied examples of Jesus and his apostles judging others. (Mt 23)

As for Krino, there's also 1Co 5:12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You have repeatedly used "judgement" in your comment, yet have not expressed what judgement is (that I can tell).

Judgment is to render a determination of whether X is, right, or, wrong; good, or, bad. "X is wrong" is judgment. "X is bad" is judgment.

If you believe that standing on a street corner preaching is bad Judgement, then what about Jesus preaching in the streets?

Like I said, these things can't really be generalized. The "good" or "bad" of standing on a street corner would be determined by, what is being said on the street corner. If it's righteous truth, it's good. But I will say, most people standing on street corners probably have no business being there. I say this because of the difference between Jesus and them. I'm certain that Jesus knew what He was talking about. I'm also certain that His judgment was competent, and He couldn't be a hypocrite because He didn't do the things of which He was authorized to judge. That all judgment was given to Him. That He is THE Judge. I can't say the same thing about us.

James 4:12 There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another?
Romans 2:1 Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.

What about Paul being wipped for doing the same thing? What about John the Baptist being beheaded because he told the king that having sexual relationships with his sister-in-law was a sin?

What passage about Paul? About John: he was prior to the new covenant and under the law, so it's not quite the same. I'm not entirely sure John should've actually judged the situation as he did; but if he were authorized by God to do so, then he would've had a certainty and competency in judgment that I'm not sure we have. That is the main problem with judgment: we don't know that our judgment is accurate. Or, at least, I don't know. I'm not certain of a great many things, and to pass judgment in uncertainty isn't right. If we "see through a glass darkly" then we're not as informed as someone like Jesus. Judgment without full information is bad judgment, incompetent: even devlish (in the sense that it can be found to "falsely accuse" which is what "devlish" means).

In our current state I just don't see us having the ability to justly judge much of anything in the big picture. Now, when it comes to two brothers having a dispute they wish settled by other Christians, this is fine since they are asking for judgment in order to reconcile the problem. In the case of the elder who is found out to be stealing from the collection, this is fine judgment in that it is dealing with a necessary problem in an elder who should be "rebuked" in his church.

According to what I read in the bible, standing on a street corner preaching the word of God would be a good thing.

Even if the one preaching were preaching something you didn't believe? That is the problem, we say "preaching the Word of God" but we see a great confusion in Christianity as to what that Word actually means. I realize that a great many Christians are convinced that their understanding is certainly correct, and everyone else is certainly wrong: but even that is incompetent judgment to me. Judgment is like a loaded .45 and we are like children. I'm not sure it's good to be twirling that thing on our finger.

Upvote 0

Jim Langston

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2005
Bellingham, WA
✟79,514.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Judgment is to render a determination of whether X is, right, or, wrong; good, or, bad. "X is wrong" is judgment. "X is bad" is judgment.

This type of judgement, forming an opinion on something, is the greek word ἀνακρίνει used in 1 Corinthians 2:15 and is encouraged.

1 Corinthians 2:15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.

Again, we are told we are supposed to do this.

The judgement denounced is κρίνετε when after we make a determination we impose sentance and is warned against.

Can you see the plain differrnce between κρίνετε and ἀνακρίνει or not? They are two different greek words. One we use as the definition of judge ἀνακρίνει "form an opinion about through careful weighing of evidence and testing of premises", which you describe, and is encouraged in 1 Corinthians 2:15, is it not?

The other Greek word used for judge is κρίνετε which is what a judicial judge does, give some penalty based on tbeir opinion. This is the one wsrned against.

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This type of judgement, forming an opinion on something, is the greek word ἀνακρίνει used in 1 Corinthians 2:15 and is encouraged.

1 Corinthians 2:15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.

Again, we are told we are supposed to do this.

The judgement denounced is κρίνετε when after we make a determination we impose sentance and is warned against.

Can you see the plain differrnce between κρίνετε and ἀνακρίνει or not? They are two different greek words. One we use as the definition of judge ἀνακρίνει "form an opinion about through careful weighing of evidence and testing of premises", which you describe, and is encouraged in 1 Corinthians 2:15, is it not?

The other Greek word used for judge is κρίνετε which is what a judicial judge does, give some penalty based on tbeir opinion. This is the one wsrned against.

Sure I see the difference. The one is meaning, to "examine/question/search/prove" in the same sense as:

Ac 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched <350> the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

That's a practice of which we should surely be constantly engaged. Such as this discussion right now is such. But it seems to me when we're talking about "judgment" we're talking about the latter form. If I'm standing on a street corner saying "you sinners!" that is "judgment" and the person saying this is "inexcusable" and "condemn themselves" because they are guilty of transgression as well.

One is questioning issues, and examining things; and coming to conclusions about things: the other isn't doing that. The former is "what do you say? where have you been? what is the law? how do I know?" the latter is such as "you are sinners!" "do not come near me, I am holier than you!" "I am good, you are bad!"

Upvote 0

Jim Langston

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2005
Bellingham, WA
✟79,514.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sure I see the difference. The one is meaning, to "examine/question/search/prove" in the same sense as:

Ac 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched <350> the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

That's a practice of which we should surely be constantly engaged. Such as this discussion right now is such. But it seems to me when we're talking about "judgment" we're talking about the latter form. If I'm standing on a street corner saying "you sinners!" that is "judgment" and the person saying this is "inexcusable" and "condemn themselves" because they are guilty of transgression as well.

One is questioning issues, and examining things; and coming to conclusions about things: the other isn't doing that. The former is "what do you say? where have you been? what is the law? how do I know?" the latter is such as "you are sinners!" "do not come near me, I am holier than you!" "I am good, you are bad!"

Calling someone a sinner is not judgemental since we are all sinners, are we not? There is not a person alive who is not a sinner. One can judge (ἀνακρίνει) someone by calling them a sinner without passing judgement (κρίνετε) on them. I.E. "You are all sinners, as am I. We all need to repent and turn to the Lord." as it is possible to judge someone (ἀνακρίνει) while passing judgement (κρίνετε). I.E. "You are all sinners! You are not fit to hear my testamony because I am better than you."

Both are judging (ἀνακρίνει) but only only one is passing judgement (κρίνετε) and is warned against.

There is a place in the bible where it says if you form an opinion about someone and then jave distain for them because of it that is judgement (κρίνετε) and denounced. The forming an opinion is not what makes it denounced, but the treating/feeling distain. I so wish I could remember tbe exact words used so I could find it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since I am on mobile I do not a signature picture, can you please tell me what it says?
Oh sure it says:
I get sad when people say "Do not judge!". The are lost in the ways of the Lord. There is a difference between judging and being corrected/reproofed. The bible makes it clear and those who choose to ignore this may never grow if they aren't willing to be corrected. I was once like that and I did not grow either, now I am fine with correction:

Proverbs 12:1
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

2 Timothy 3:16-7
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness.

Proverbs 15:32
Whoever ignores instruction despises himself, but he who listens to reproof gains intelligence.
Proverbs 6:23
For the commandment is a lamp and teaching a light, and the reproofs of discipline are the way.

• Winner
Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Calling someone a sinner is not judgemental since we are all sinners, are we not? There is not a person alive who is not a sinner. One can judge (ἀνακρίνει) someone by calling them a sinner without passing judgement (κρίνετε) on them. I.E. "You are all sinners, as am I. We all need to repent and turn to the Lord." as it is possible to judge someone (ἀνακρίνει) while passing judgement (κρίνετε). I.E. "You are all sinners! You are not fit to hear my testamony because I am better than you."

Both are judging (ἀνακρίνει) but only only one is passing judgement (κρίνετε) and is warned against.

There is a place in the bible where it says if you form an opinion about someone and then jave distain for them because of it that is judgement (κρίνετε) and denounced. The forming an opinion is not what makes it denounced, but the treating/feeling distain. I so wish I could remember tbe exact words used so I could find it.

Well, I can see you've got it all worked out, and far be it from me to stand in anyone's way of judging others. My only advice would be, careful with that loaded gun, you may end up shooting yourself.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

CBM

Christian Book Marketing
Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
✟15,804.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A very informative thread. Lots to read and consider. Some other things that come to mind is having a critical spirit, having a religious spirit, meddling, slander, false accusations, jealousies as many times these things can be intertwined.

We should all keep in mind that while the word of God judges many things, as Christians, I don't feel that we are called to swing the Bible and scriptures around like a baseball bat. Not that I'm accusing anyone of doing that.

just some thoughts.

• Agree
Upvote 0

jrg40

Feb 3, 2013
✟7,836.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Good post. The only thing I would do different is invite a lesbian/gay friend to church, but they should not be allowed to become a member until they repent. I think this is a matter of opinion, though. Some may feel that only sanctified people should be allowed in the church building at all. Some, like me, feel that the church building is the perfect place to learn about repentance and salvation. Do we only invite saved people to church, or do we invite everyone so that they can learn to be saved? An argument for either case could be shown from the bible equally, I think, but I would consider not inviting someone because they are homosexual as the definition of judging. Note: I see a great distiction between attending church and being a (voting) member of church, others may not, and it may be true that in some congregations no distinction is made.

Also, I consider the church to be comprised of those who have repented and are born again, not a Christian tabernacle.
My position is that a gay, lesbian or what not should absolutely be allowed to attend a church though not be allowed membership unless or until they repent. I agree with pretty much everything you said up until your last paragraph. If the church was only made available (in terms of mere attendance) to the already converted, it would be neglecting a key Biblical mandate which is to evangelize the lost. Jesus said: "It is not the healthy that are in need of a physician but the sick". Once again, though, I am talking about attendance not an actual communing member.

Upvote 0

Honoluluwindow

Sep 2, 2016
Hawaii
✟17,283.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are told in the bible to judge not, lest we be judged, for that with which we judge we should also be judged.

We are also told, however, that it is not our duty to judge outside the church but within it.

So, just what is judging?

Today it seems that everytime someone says something bad about someone there is a cry of "why are you judging?"

It seems to me that people do not understand what judging is in the first place.

If I say "you are not supposed to commit homosexual acts", is that judging? No. If I say "you are not suppsed to commit homosexual acts, and because you do you are not welcome as a member of our church" is that judging? Yes, although rightously. What is the difference between the two? The penalty we impose. Without penalty there is no judgement.

There was a discussion going on where I think the OP believes I reported them for cussing, which I did not (if I had realized the OP believed this earlier my responses would of been much different). In the end the the OP stated that they didn't want any advice, they had come to vent. I said fine, I was done and "I wish the pity party would end".

This is not the thread as to what I should, or should not, of said, that is for another thread please. Please try to stay on topic about judging, not my ability to communicate well.

I agree that was not the most sensitive thing to say although the reason I had said it was to try to get the OP to think about what a pity party was. Also, I had mistakenly thought that the "veteran" under their name meant they were a veteran of the website so I had, mistakenly, thought they had been around for a while. In hindsight I would not of said this or would of tried to express my thoughts in a different way. Experience is a great teacher. The OP expressed their feelings on this, I had actually made them think about it which was my intention, but before I could respond with what I had meant someone ( @ToBeJudged ) accuses me of judging.

The thread quickly desolved into, "I'm not judging...", "yes you were", etc... with the OP dropping out without me able to further the conversation as was my intention. Yes, it was my intention to make the OP think and respond.

Now, the issue is, how is stating "I wish this pity party would end" judging by any means? It could be considered heartless by some, I agree. It could be considered rude, I agree. But, how was it judging?

Did I change my opinion of the OP in any way? Other than feel more compassion for them, no. Did I exclude the OP from anything? No.

Somehow people have gotten it in their minds that expressing one's thoughts is judging. Somehow people have gotten it into their minds that telling someone where we think they are wrong is judging. Somehow people have gotten it into their minds that saying something someone does not want to hear is judging. Don't you dare reprove someone, that is judging. Don't you dare tell someone they are sinning, that is judging.

Our current English word for judging, I think, is the problem. One of the definitions of our English word is "form an opinion or conclusion about" but that is not what the bible is talking about. We are told throughout the bible that this is a good thing (judge within yourself).

What the bible actually means by judgement is the other type of definition, "to pass sentence on; condemn" and as saying "I wish this pity party would end" is neither passing sentance on or condemning.

The reason I know this is the definition intended because people in the bible were constantly expressing their opinion on things. We are told in the bible to rebuke each other as Christians, if this was judging we would not of been told to do this. We are told to correct each other, if this was judging we would not of been told to do this.

I see numerous examples in the bible where rightous men (Apostles, prophets, etc...) say things that so many people would jump up as yell "YOU ARE JUDGING". In fact, in this other thread I used a few times the words of Jesus Himself, and was further accused of judging.

So, tell me, how are we to rebuke others if rebuking is judging?

1 Timothy 5:20 Them that sin rebuke before all, that others also may fear.

According to these people claiming "Judgement!" that would be judging. Since we are told to do this it obviously (to me) isn't.
Judging the brethren is a good thing if it's in the form of encouraging him to walk in accordance with his new nature.

Judging is necessary to impose the death penalty for capital murder.

I guess it depends on the context.

Upvote 0