Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,856.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What do you think the word God has been translated from? Jehovah.
The name Jehovah is not a translation but a mistranslation of the Hebrew letters for the unspeakable name of God, YHVH. No Hebrew of the Old Testament ever called God, Jehovah.

The Name of God
Some Christian scholars render the four-letter Name as "Jehovah," but this pronunciation is particularly unlikely. The word "Jehovah" comes from the fact that ancient Jewish texts used to put the vowels of the Name "Adonai" (the usual substitute for YHVH) under the consonants of YHVH to remind people not to pronounce YHVH as written. A sixteenth century German Christian scribe, while transliterating the Bible into Latin for the Pope, wrote the Name out as it appeared in his texts, with the consonants of YHVH and the vowels of Adonai, and came up with the word JeHoVaH, and the name stuck.

And "Abba" was what Jesus called the Father, meaning a personal relationship.
That is why I call him Father. A personal relationship means so more than a distant one.

I would never call my father by his real name, unless necessary. I always called him Dad.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"***El-Shaddai means God Almighty***. El points to the power of God Himself. Shaddai seems to be derived from another word meaning breast, which implies that Shaddai signifies one who nourishes, supplies, and satisfies. It is God as El who helps, but it is God as Shaddai who abundantly blesses with all manner of blessings. ...\"
http://www.parentcompany.com/awareness_of_god/nog6.htm

\"...***Adonai means LORD*** and was often used as a substitute for God\'s name \"Yahweh\" or \"Jehovah\" (these are interchangeable) in the Old Testament.

The Hebrews felt that God\'s name was too sacred to pronounce so they eliminated the vowels and used YHWH which was unpronounceable. Still, they had to be clear about whom they meant so they often spoke of Adonai - the LORD who is GOD. If this name was used to mean someone other than God, \"Adoni\" was used which was a common word for one who was a master and ruler.

Psalm 110:1 provides a good starting point to understand who \"Adonai\" is:

\"The Lord (YHWH) said to my Lord (Adonai) \'Sit at My right hand, till I make Your enemies Your footstool.\" ...\"
http://www.hannahscupboard.com/adoni.html

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
*snip*

"***El-Shaddai means God Almighty***. El points to the power of God Himself. Shaddai seems to be derived from another word meaning breast, which implies that Shaddai signifies one who nourishes, supplies, and satisfies
Paul uses it one time in the NT/NC :)

http://www.scripture4all.org/

2 Corin 6:18 And I shall be to ye as a Father and ye shall be to Me as sons and daughters is saying Lord Almighty/panto-kratwr <3841>.

Revelation 19:6 And I hear as sound of a throng vast and as sound of waters many and as sound of thunders strong saying "allelouia! That reigns Lord the God the Almighty"/panto-kratwr <3841>.

3841. pantokrator [Used 10 times. 9 Times in Revelation, and 2 Corin 6:18].

3841. pantokrator pan-tok-rat'-ore from 3956 and 2904; the all-ruling, i.e. God (as absolute and universal sovereign):--Almighty, Omnipotent.
3839. pante pan'-tay adverb (of manner) from 3956; wholly:--always.
2904. kratos krat'-os perhaps a primary word; vigor ("great") (literally or figuratively):--dominion, might(-ily), power, strength.
2902. krateo krat-eh'-o from 2904; to use strength, i.e. seize or retain (literally or figuratively):--hold (by, fast), keep, lay hand (hold) on, obtain, retain, take (by).

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Paul uses it one time in the NT/NC :)

Scripture4All - Greek/Hebrew interlinear Bible software

2 Corin 6:18 And I shall be to ye as a Father and ye shall be to Me as sons and daughters is saying Lord Almighty/panto-kratwr <3841>.

Revelation 19:6 And I hear as sound of a throng vast and as sound of waters many and as sound of thunders strong saying "allelouia! That reigns Lord the God the Almighty"/panto-kratwr <3841>.

3841. pantokrator [Used 10 times. 9 Times in Revelation, and 2 Corin 6:18].

3841. pantokrator pan-tok-rat'-ore from 3956 and 2904; the all-ruling, i.e. God (as absolute and universal sovereign):--Almighty, Omnipotent.
3839. pante pan'-tay adverb (of manner) from 3956; wholly:--always.
2904. kratos krat'-os perhaps a primary word; vigor ("great") (literally or figuratively):--dominion, might(-ily), power, strength.
2902. krateo krat-eh'-o from 2904; to use strength, i.e. seize or retain (literally or figuratively):--hold (by, fast), keep, lay hand (hold) on, obtain, retain, take (by).

as i read revelation, i keep interjecting this verse, to remember that this holy God, Whose wrath is sure and is coming, is my Abba, Who does THIS with HIs children:

"The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing." ~Zephaniah 3:17

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,856.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jehovah is only interchangeable in Bibles which misinterpret Hebrew.

Judaism 101: The Name of G-d

This is all that I could find

Jehovah, also Yehovah, is an English reading of , the most frequent form of the Tetragrammaton
Tetragrammaton

Tetragrammaton The letters, properly read from right to left , are-! Hebrew !! Letter name !! Pronunciation|-valign=top| ?'...
, the principal and personal name of God in the Hebrew Bible
Hebrew Bible

The term Hebrew Bible is a generic reference to those books of the Bible originally written mostly in Biblical Hebrew with some Biblical Aramaic....
(Old Testament).

It is a direct phonetic transliteration based on the Hebrew Bible text with vowel points
Niqqud

In Hebrew language orthography, niqqud or nikkud is the system of diacritical signs used to represent vowels or distinguish between alternative pronunciations of consonants of the Hebrew alphabet....
handed down by the Masoretes
Masoretes

The Masoretes were groups of scribes and Tanakh scholars working between the 7th and 11th centuries, based primarily in Israel in the cities of Tiberias and Jerusalem, as well as in Babylonia....
. By long tradition, in modern Jewish culture the Tetragrammaton is not pronounced. Instead the above vocalization indicates to the reverent Jewish reader that the term Adonai is to be used.

from here

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Jehovah is only interchangeable in Bibles which misinterpret Hebrew.

Bibles could save a lot of extra ink if they would simple use "YHWH" me thinks......

Deuteronomy 6:4 Hear-thou Yisra'el! YHWH, Elohiym of us, YHWH one. [Mark 12:29]

Mark 12:29 The yet JESUS answered him "that first of all *the commandments* 'be thou hearing Israel! LORD, the God of us, LORD one is'". [Deut 6:4]

Textus Rec.) Mark 12:29 o de ihsouV apekriqh autw oti prwth paswn twn entolwn akoue israhl kurioV o qeoV hmwn kurioV eiV estin

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
*snip*

. By long tradition, in modern Jewish culture the Tetragrammaton is not pronounced. Instead the above vocalization indicates to the reverent Jewish reader that the term Adonai is to be used.

from here
That is used numerous times before the Hebrew word #03069 it seems

Ezekiel 39:17 "And thou son of adam, thus says my Lord YHWH "say thou! to bird of every wing and to all of beast of the field 'be assembled ye! and come! together ye from round about on Sacrifice of Me which I sacrificing for ye, a Great Sacrifice on Mountains of Israel.
And ye eat flesh and ye drink blood. [Revelation 19:17]

0136 'Adonay {ad-o-noy'}
am emphatic form of 0113; TWOT - 27b; n m
AV - Lord 431, lord 2, God 1; 434

03069 Y@hovih {yeh-ho-vee'}
a variation of 03068 [used after 0136, and pronounced by Jews as
0430, in order to prevent the repetition of the same sound,
since they elsewhere pronounce 03068 as 0136];;

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jehovah

It is a direct phonetic transliteration based on the Hebrew Bible text with vowel points
Niqqud

In Hebrew language orthography, niqqud or nikkud is the system of diacritical signs used to represent vowels or distinguish between alternative pronunciations of consonants of the Hebrew alphabet....
handed down by the Masoretes
Masoretes

The Masoretes were groups of scribes and Tanakh scholars working between the 7th and 11th centuries, based primarily in Israel in the cities of Tiberias and Jerusalem, as well as in Babylonia....
. By long tradition, in modern Jewish culture the Tetragrammaton is not pronounced. Instead the above vocalization indicates to the reverent Jewish reader that the term Adonai is to be used. In places where the preceding or following word already is Adonai, the reading Elohim
Elohim

Elohim is a Hebrew language word which expresses concepts of divinity. It is apparently related to the Hebrew word El , though morphology it consists of the Hebrew word Eloah with a plural suffix....
is used instead, indicated by a different vocalization of the Tetragrammaton. It is generally referred, in line with the Jewish tradition, that (Jehovah) is a "hybrid form", created when the Masoretes added the vowel pointing
Niqqud

of Adonai to the consonants of YHWH. Early English translators, thought to have been unacquainted with Jewish tradition, read this word as they would any other word, and transcribed it (in very few places, namely those where the Name itself was referred to) as Jehovah.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,856.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This is all that I could find
Did you look at the Jewish sites that I gave you?

Some people render the four-letter Name as "Jehovah," but this pronunciation is particularly unlikely. The word "Jehovah" comes from the fact that ancient Jewish texts used to put the vowels of the Name "Adonai" (the usual substitute for YHVH) under the consonants of YHVH to remind people not to pronounce YHVH as written. A sixteenth century German Christian scribe, while transliterating the Bible into Latin for the Pope, wrote the Name out as it appeared in his texts, with the consonants of YHVH and the vowels of Adonai, and came up with the word JeHoVaH, and the name stuck.
--------------------------------------------------------------

The name Jehovah did not appear in text until the 1500's. There are several names for God in the Hebrew language but Jehovah is not one.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Although the prohibition on pronunciation applies only to the four-letter Name, Jews customarily do not pronounce any of God's many Names except in prayer or study. The usual practice is to substitute letters or syllables, so that Adonai becomes Adoshem or Ha-Shem, Elohaynu and Elohim become Elokaynu and Elokim, etc.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

"***Psalm 110:1 provides a good starting point to understand who \"Adonai\" is:

\"The Lord (YHWH) said to my Lord (Adonai) \'Sit at My right hand, till I make Your enemies Your footstool.\" ...\"
[URL="http://www.hannahscupboard.com/adoni.html"]http://www.hannahscupboard.com/adoni.html[/URL]

That sums the explaination.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally Posted by Evangelica "***Psalm 110:1 provides a good starting point to understand who \"Adonai\" is:

\"The Lord (YHWH) said to my Lord (Adonai) \'Sit at My right hand, till I make Your enemies Your footstool.\"

That sums the explaination.
:) The word "hand" in Matt 22:44 is also not in the greek

Psalm 110:1 To David a psalm declaration of YHWH to my-Lord/0113 'adown "sit thou! to right/03225 yamiyn of Me until I shall set thy enemies of thee a stool for thy feet"

Matt 22:44 "Said the LORD to the Lord of Me 'be sitting out of rights/dexiwn <1188> of Me until ever I may be placing the enemies of Thee a footstool to Thy feet'. [Psalm 119:1]

Textus Rec.) Matthew 22:44 eipen o kurioV tw kuriw mou kaqou ek dexiwn mou ewV an qw touV ecqrouV sou upopodion twn podwn sou

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is from the link in my previous post about Psalm 110 ( hey, advanced class:p)

"The Lord (YHWH) said to my Lord (Adonai) 'Sit at My right hand, till I make Your enemies Your footstool."
This verse is commonly understood by both Jews and Christians to be prophetically speaking of the reign of the Messiah. The psalm is written by King David who is saying, "The God of the universe said to my (meaning David's) Lord the Messiah&#8230;"
The promise from God is that the Messiah will sit at His right hand and that His enemies would become His footstool. Jesus discussed this passage in Luke 20:41-44 with the scribes (religious leaders of the times) and tried to get them thinking about who the Messiah might be. He was shaking up all their pre-conceived ideas and trying to get them to think "outside the box" as we would say today.
In the Gospel of Mark 14:61-63, Jesus speaks more plainly. Before he was crucified, Jesus had to appear before the high priest and this conversation took place:
Again the high priest asked Him, saying to Him, "Are You the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?" Jesus said, "I am. And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Power, and coming with the clouds of heaven." Then the high priest tore his clothes and said, "What further need do we have of witnesses? You have heard the blasphemy!"
The high priest called it blasphemy because he was aware that Jesus was calling himself the Messiah and claiming that he was the one spoken of in Psalm 110. And so they went ahead and condemned him to death.
Later, on the Day of Pentecost when the Holy Spirit fell, after Jesus had already ascended into heaven, Peter preached from Psalm 110 one more time. After he quoted the verse he said; "Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ." In this case the hearers did not reject the message and about 3000 people were converted.
Today, Jesus sits at the right hand of the Father in heaven. Through his death and resurrection he completely spoiled his enemies and they are a footstool under his feet just as YHWH promised in Psalm 110.

Jesus Christ is the Adonai

Upvote 0