Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟819,215.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What do you mean by baptism in the Holy Spirit?
John 14:
15 "If you love me, you will keep my commandments. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate to be with you always, 17 the Spirit of truth, which the world cannot accept, because it neither sees nor knows it. But you know it, because it remains with you, and will be in you.18 I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you. 19 In a little while the world will no longer see me, but you will see me, because I live and you will live. 20 On that day you will realize that I am in my Father and you are in me and I in you. 21 Whoever has my commandments and observes them is the one who loves me. And whoever loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and reveal myself to him."

Thanks, I'm doing fine but I have been out of town. My father was sick and passed away Friday. I got back today. I spent a lot of time driving between my home and his, a little over 100 miles.

May he rest in peace.

God Bless,
Yarddog

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟819,215.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No one seems to have a problem with acknowledging that the body, soul and spirit is represented by the person, but are reluctant to acknowledge that God is represented by Jesus the risen Christ. Why not just bow your knee now and confess that Jesus is the name above all names given to mankind? Lord and God.
Jesus is the Son, not the Father.

Upvote 0

student ad x

Senior Contributor
Feb 20, 2009
just outside the forrest
✟29,077.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
or "I am"? I think Jesus claimed that. But good point, it should have been included. If a mod could include that it would be appreciated......

OP & all,

As a MOD: I wondered about the poll options and decided to just let it play out.....

As a brother: I wondered why in a Christians only area Mohammed and Allah are options? I agree the tetragram YHWH should be included in the options, but wonder if for the sake of this discussion if the OP would rephrase the questions in a new thead and poll. This is not a mod suggestion, rather a brother suggestion.

As a MOD, I can't append the poll options, but can help out in merging this thread to a new set of poll questions in a new thread. :thumbsup: If the op wishes to rephrase, pm me & I will do what I can.

Brother hat off ^_^

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
OP & all,

As a MOD: I wondered about the poll options and decided to just let it play out.....

As a brother: I wondered why in a Christians only area Mohammed and Allah are options? I agree the tetragram YHWH should be included in the options, but wonder if for the sake of this discussion if the OP would rephrase the questions in a new thead and poll. This is not a mod suggestion, rather a brother suggestion.

As a MOD, I can't append the poll options, but can help out in merging this thread to a new set of poll questions in a new thread. :thumbsup: If the op wishes to rephrase, pm me & I will do what I can.

Brother hat off ^_^
I'll take that suggestion. :thumbsup: with a link to this thread.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's been suggested that a new poll be put in place with a link to the old poll. Non-Christian options have been removed and a new topic question asked. Thanks for your replies so-far.
God Bless...E

Options

Jehovah Jireh
YHWH
Jesus
Abba
Holy Trinity

Question

If you were asked the name of your God, as Moses said the captive people would ask him,
what would your answer be and why?

Exodus 3:13 Then Moses said to God, “Indeed, when I come to the children of Israel and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they say to me, ‘What is His name?’ what shall I say to them?”

Here is a link to the old poll
http://www.christianforums.com/t7416584/

Upvote 0

b.hopeful

Sharp as a razor, soft as a prayer
Jul 17, 2009
St.Louis metropolitan area
✟18,662.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
O' G.....for original gangsta...or original God...whatever appeals to me when we're talking. I feel comfortable kicking back in my favorite chair...feet up on the table....Ray Lamontagne in the background....nag champa in the air.....yoga pants, barefeet and my cozy wrap...cup of hot apple cinnamon tea.......what up O'G, so I've been meaning to talk to you about something...........

I don't think God gives a flying f...f....fig what you call Her. I think God is pleased that we seek out communion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

b.hopeful

Jul 17, 2009
✟18,662.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So God is arrogant and fixated on titles? Sorry, not my God...my God's not petty.

Imagine a scenario where a patient runs into a hospital and yells "doc, doc..I need to explain my symptoms" and the doctor replies "my name is not doc. address me correctly and we'll go from there". The patient asks..ok, what's your name? The doctor says Oh, I'm not telling you. Here's a rather large book written in a dead language. Find the correct translation of it, then read it cover to cover...then contemplate which title is actually my preferred name." Patient is dead and never had that important conversation.

Or..I kept my maiden name...so I'm technically Ms. H....and that's my preferred title. If a neighbor kid was screaming Mrs. F(dh and my kids last name) Mrs. F! I'm drowning!....I certainly wouldn't say...hmmm...you can't possibly be talking to me because that's not my name. I'll just stand here until you ask me for help or until this "unknown Mrs. F" shows up. ROT! I would know who they meant and surely God can figure out who it is that we are calling out to.

So....that's your God? A smug arrogant jerk that would keep people at arms length for not figuring out the preferred title...if there even is a preferred title? really?

Upvote 0

Zebra1552

Urban Nomad. Literally.
Nov 2, 2007
Freezing, America
✟26,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
So God is arrogant and fixated on titles? Sorry, not my God...my God's not petty.

Imagine a scenario where a patient runs into a hospital and yells "doc, doc..I need to explain my symptoms" and the doctor replies "my name is not doc. address me correctly and we'll go from there". The patient asks..ok, what's your name? The doctor says Oh, I'm not telling you. Here's a rather large book written in a dead language. Find the correct translation of it, then read it cover to cover...then contemplate which title is actually my preferred name." Patient is dead and never had that important conversation.

Or..I kept my maiden name...so I'm technically Ms. H....and that's my preferred title. If a neighbor kid was screaming Mrs. F(dh and my kids last name) Mrs. F! I'm drowning!....I certainly wouldn't say...hmmm...you can't possibly be talking to me because that's not my name. I'll just stand here until you ask me for help or until this "unknown Mrs. F" shows up. ROT! I would know who they meant and surely God can figure out who it is that we are calling out to.

So....that's your God? A smug arrogant jerk that would keep people at arms length for not figuring out the preferred title...if there even is a preferred title? really?
You are making a very large assumption about what we are saying and not saying, and putting words in our mouth. Not cool. Let's be cool. :cool: And discuss this rationally. As a group. :groupray:

Getting God's name right is not pettiness. God's name is directly connected to His character. Ignoring that connection and calling it petty is not wise, as you insult His character by assuming His name isn't important. Let us not forget the Hebrew culture from whence our faith came, eh?

Reactions: student ad x
Upvote 0

b.hopeful

Jul 17, 2009
✟18,662.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We can be cool. I think we were actually. I just disagree with you that it's not pettiness...I believe it is. But it's cool...you guys can sit and fret about which name God likes best...in the meantime, I'm chillaxin' with O G.......or Pappa.....Abba....Big Daddy.

So...what assumption did I make that was incorrect?

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟819,215.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's been suggested that a new poll be put in place with a link to the old poll. Non-Christian options have been removed and a new topic question asked. Thanks for your replies so-far.
God Bless...E

Options

Jehovah Jireh
YHWH
Jesus
Abba
Holy Trinity

Question

If you were asked the name of your God, as Moses said the captive people would ask him,
what would your answer be and why?
Why was Father removed? What did Jesus call him?

Jehovah has never been his name.
YHWH is the unspoken name.
Jesus is the name of the Son.
Abba. According to a source from the Orthodox Research Inst. Abba actually means "Daddy".

Galatians 4:4 But when the fullness of time had come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, 5 to ransom those under the law, so that we might receive adoption. 6 As proof that you are children, God sent the spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying out, "Abba, Father!" 7 So you are no longer a slave but a child, and if a child then also an heir, through God.

The Name of God: Abba - The Bible in the Orthodox Church

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

The question put to you is "If you were told to go to the captives and they asked you who sent you, who would you say sent you ?"

Ex 3:13 Moses said to God, "Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' Then what shall I tell them?"

Using your analogy they would be asking "What doctor?"

Upvote 0

Zebra1552

Urban Nomad. Literally.
Nov 2, 2007
Freezing, America
✟26,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
We can be cool. I think we were actually. I just disagree with you that it's not pettiness...I believe it is. But it's cool...you guys can sit and fret about which name God likes best...in the meantime, I'm chillaxin' with O G.......or Pappa.....Abba....Big Daddy.

So...what assumption did I make that was incorrect?
That we think God cares soooo much about His name that He'll 'refuse treatment'. So, your two big paragraphs there. :p

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why was Father removed? What did Jesus call him?

Jehovah has never been his name.
YHWH is the unspoken name.
Jesus is the name of the Son.
Abba. According to a source from the Orthodox Research Inst. Abba actually means "Daddy".

Galatians 4:4 But when the fullness of time had come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, 5 to ransom those under the law, so that we might receive adoption. 6 As proof that you are children, God sent the spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying out, "Abba, Father!" 7 So you are no longer a slave but a child, and if a child then also an heir, through God.

The Name of God: Abba - The Bible in the Orthodox Church
What do you think the word God has been translated from? Jehovah. And "Abba" was what Jesus called the Father, meaning a personal relationship.

But perhaps the reluctance is to be called a Jehovah's witnesses when Jesus sents us out to be His witnesses. I don't know if that would be reasonable to say or not.

Jehovah Jireh means the provider. El Shadai (the breasted one) of Gen 17 is also the provider of all things.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

b.hopeful

Jul 17, 2009
✟18,662.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That we think God cares soooo much about His name that He'll 'refuse treatment'. So, your two big paragraphs there. :p

If the name matters, what happens if we use the incorrect one? Does that distance us from God? God is displeased so God...???? What is the consequence of getting it wrong and using a name that you are convicted to use? I say God is happy when we are seeking to be connected and ultimately, whatever name we us, God understands who it is we are seeking. Nothing is "lost in translation".

Upvote 0