What is "elderly" in you opinion?

M

MOTHY

The other day I read of a horrifying attack by dogs on a 64 year old woman in our local paper. The dog attack was bad enough, but the description of her as 'elderly' floored me. The poor thing has an added insult upon her injury!!!! I'm outraged!!! But perhaps I'm kidding myself, and I really am old ( or 'elderly') grrrrrrrrrr!!! I feel like I'm 30! I could have said 20 but I'm not stupid, heh!. Do you guys agree with me, or am I just ignoring the facts and burying my head in the sand? (My kids still invite me to rock concerts at the pub, so I can't be too ancient, heh!)

Yours dismayingly (or denyingly)

Chez (sigh):(

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
The other day I read of a horrifying attack by dogs on a 64 year old woman in our local paper. The dog attack was bad enough, but the description of her as 'elderly' floored me. The poor thing has an added insult upon her injury!!!! I'm outraged!!! But perhaps I'm kidding myself, and I really am old ( or 'elderly') grrrrrrrrrr!!! I feel like I'm 30! I could have said 20 but I'm not stupid, heh!. Do you guys agree with me, or am I just ignoring the facts and burying my head in the sand? (My kids still invite me to rock concerts at the pub, so I can't be too ancient, heh!)

Yours dismayingly (or denyingly)

Chez (sigh):(
Why do you see 'elderly' as an insult?

IMO, if you are old enough to collect a state retirement pension you are old enough to be what is euphamistically called a 'senior'.

Upvote 0

Amhacajo

Turn worry into wonder...
Oct 25, 2006
Australia
✟24,091.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When you're young like me, anything greater than 30 is elderly lol.

Dunno? I spose it doesn't really matter our age, as long as we're walking with the Lord.
ROFL....that's quite funny. That would make me well....heading towards ancient.

You young wipper snappers better watch yerselves or we'll come after you with our walking sticks ;)

Upvote 0

skinnybrad

Australia's own Christian punk kid with attitude
Sep 6, 2004
Brisbane Australia
✟17,282.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
to me elderly is more of a state of mind... my father is 62 now... I hardly ever see him anymore he is always out playing golf or going on week long fishing trips...

I think if you feel old you generally are but if you feel young you generally are

Upvote 0

sparassidae

In Christ Alone
Apr 3, 2007
Sydney, Australia
✟18,403.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why do you see 'elderly' as an insult?

IMO, if you are old enough to collect a state retirement pension you are old enough to be what is euphamistically called a 'senior'.

I agree. I actually think it sounds a lot better to be called 'elderly' than 'old'.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tgg

Veteran
Jun 19, 2005
Brisbane
Visit site
✟20,587.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
In my opinion, "elderly" is when you have had enough of the world and vice versa.If a person's philosophy is "stop the world, I wanna get off", you know they are past their use-by date.I know people in their teens who think this way, as well as people over 40 who are still loving life and constantly discovering new things for themselves.

Upvote 0
M

MOTHY

Ebia, as usual you seem to take an antagonistic approach. I am merely pondering on the question. Why take it so seriously. I could quite rightly point out that until you have attained the age of 64, you should have the common courtesy to at least defer to those who are almost there, without being so dismissive. You are 40, a mere blink till you are my age, and hardly experienced enough to dictate to my generation about what I should find to be insulting. I find it insulting. I have every right to because I have almost attained that age. You, Ebia, havent, and until you do, you do not know what you are talking about and I certainly don't apologise for it.

Upvote 0

peacechild4

My ♥ is hidden in GOD~ want to find me ~ find GOD
Mar 4, 2005
Victoria Australia
Visit site
✟38,392.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
80's upwards I see as Elderly.. Though one person who traipsed the world in her 80's.. and her story is amazing.. is Corrie Tem Boon!! God can use you at any age!!

My parents are around 60 and very active.. I don't see them as older even!! I think it depends really on the person.. some people are old much younger if that makes sense!!

Upvote 0