Central Ohio
✟18,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was curious about why you felt people at the church would know your financial business and talk about it. I understand that's something you are fearing but I know that even the pastor at our church doesn't know who gives what - only the financial secretary. And if you wrote a check for 11 cents, you wouldn't be putting 11 pennies into the plate for all to see, we put our tithes in these little envelopes they give us - so you see, it's very private for us... how is it where you go?

second - I'm so sad that you are staying away from worship because of this... so very sad. I imagine your church would feel sad if anyone stayed away from worship because of money. Please pray about this and reconsider.

third - I'm sorry times are this difficult right now. I remember hard times now and then throughout my life too. I hope you receive some blessings throughout this time.

Reactions: Minty
Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Some scriptures on the question:

I Timothy 5:8

If anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

Leviticus 5:7, 11
If he cannot afford a lamb, he is to bring two doves or two young pigeons to the LORD as a penalty for his sin - one for a sin offering and the other for a burnt offering. But if his means suffice not for two turtle-doves, or two young pigeons, then he shall bring his oblation for that wherein he hath sinned, the tenth part of an ephah of fine flour for a sin-offering: he shall put no oil upon it, neither shall he put any frankincense thereon; for it is a sin-offering.

Le 12:8 If she cannot afford a lamb, she is to bring two doves or two young pigeons, one for a burnt offering and the other for a sin offering. In this way the priest will make atonement for her, and she will be clean.
Notice that pigeons around here are wild, and probably were back then too. If someone did not own livestock for the sacrifice, they could capture one from the wild. Maybe I have this wrong, but that is how it appears.

Lev. 14:21
If, however, he is poor and cannot afford these, he must take one male lamb as a guilt offering to be waved to make atonement for him, together with a tenth of an ephah F31 of fine flour mixed with oil for a grain offering, a log of oil, and two doves or two young pigeons, which he can afford, one for a sin offering and the other for a burnt offering.

32 These are the regulations for anyone who has an infectious skin disease and who cannot afford the regular offerings for his cleansing

Le 27:8
If anyone making the vow is too poor to pay the specified amount, he is to present the person to the priest, who will set the value for him according to what the man making the vow can afford.

Nu 6:21
This is the law of the Nazirite who vows his offering to the Lord in accordance with his separation, in addition to whatever else he can afford. He must fulfill the vow he has made, according to the law of the Nazirite.'" Lev. 27:31
A tithe of everything from the land, whether grain from the soil or fruit from the trees, belongs to the LORD; it is holy to the LORD. If a man redeems any of his tithe, he must add a fifth of the value to it.

De 14:23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the LORD your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the LORD your God always. (There are several instructions for enjoying certain offerings... not each type, but specified ones.)

De 14:24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the LORD your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the LORD will choose to put his Name is so far away)...
De 26:12 When you have finished setting aside a tenth of all your produce in the third year, the year of the tithe, you shall give it to the Levite, the alien, the fatherless and the widow, so that they may eat in your towns and be satisfied.

Upvote 0

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,483.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
This is the one issue that has stopped me going to church...tithing.

At the moment my family are going through very hard times...we have barely enough to buy food and pay our bills, and after that we have nothing (and I mean nothing, empty wallets all round).

So what can I give? :( I can't even afford a newspaper, and to give 10% of my income would mean that we lose our house. At max it would be literally pennies that I would put in the collection, and I refuse to have my financial issues spread around church...so I stopped attending.

Is this wrong?
I think the Lord examines the heart more than anything else and by the mere fact that you would if you could, shows that from within you have already "tithed".

Remember the lady who gave what little she had and Jesus stated she gave more than the rich person? (can't remember where the scripture is right now). In the same way even if it's tuppence, you have proportionately given more than someone who can comfortably give their 10% before tax. :hug:

Upvote 0

Minty

S.O.P.H.I.E
Aug 6, 2007
South East London, England
✟19,598.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
You said you are working two jobs to meet family commitments and you don't know what to give. Isn't that enough? Would God not have you give to your family of yourself first? Your family is your priority. If you cannot serve in church or give financially after that, you have met your first obligation and I believe that is how God would have you serve. Serving your family comes FIRST.

Tithing, while preached by many churches including my own, is not scriptural under the new covenant. Giving is to be freely and without compulsion. I do tithe because I am in leadership and it is a value of my church ... I would feel hypocritical if I did not. However that is my choice and I don't feel obligated to do it. No-one should know who is giving what in a church anyway.

Go to church but only give what you feel you can - if anything. Even if you can't now in future you may be able to give more. God sees your heart and understands.
Thanks for this...I used to tithe freely (if I have the money there is nothing that I would reather do with it, to be honest :)).
I was curious about why you felt people at the church would know your financial business and talk about it. I understand that's something you are fearing but I know that even the pastor at our church doesn't know who gives what - only the financial secretary. And if you wrote a check for 11 cents, you wouldn't be putting 11 pennies into the plate for all to see, we put our tithes in these little envelopes they give us - so you see, it's very private for us... how is it where you go?

We have two people that have small handled velvet bags, and they pass them around the congregation just before we take communion. I didn't want them to bypass me in anyway, and I wanted to put something in the bag. Where I live there are a fair amount of people that if they know you have nothing give out pitying looks, and I couldn't bear that (there are people that need pity far more than I do, the homeless, the hungry...etc).

second - I'm so sad that you are staying away from worship because of this... so very sad. I imagine your church would feel sad if anyone stayed away from worship because of money. Please pray about this and reconsider.
I'm missing it, I must admit. I have been praying, and I am getting the distinct feeling that I have to return. :)

third - I'm sorry times are this difficult right now. I remember hard times now and then throughout my life too. I hope you receive some blessings throughout this time.
Thanks :hug: Dad is still out of work, but finding out that the bill to fix my car is (eventually) within our reach is a blessing in itself (not having to worry is lovely...although I had given the problem to God, but I was worrying about my parents worrying, if that makes sense ^_^)
Some scriptures on the question:

I Timothy 5:8

If anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

Leviticus 5:7, 11
If he cannot afford a lamb, he is to bring two doves or two young pigeons to the LORD as a penalty for his sin - one for a sin offering and the other for a burnt offering. But if his means suffice not for two turtle-doves, or two young pigeons, then he shall bring his oblation for that wherein he hath sinned, the tenth part of an ephah of fine flour for a sin-offering: he shall put no oil upon it, neither shall he put any frankincense thereon; for it is a sin-offering.

Le 12:8 If she cannot afford a lamb, she is to bring two doves or two young pigeons, one for a burnt offering and the other for a sin offering. In this way the priest will make atonement for her, and she will be clean.
Notice that pigeons around here are wild, and probably were back then too. If someone did not own livestock for the sacrifice, they could capture one from the wild. Maybe I have this wrong, but that is how it appears.

Lev. 14:21
If, however, he is poor and cannot afford these, he must take one male lamb as a guilt offering to be waved to make atonement for him, together with a tenth of an ephah F31 of fine flour mixed with oil for a grain offering, a log of oil, and two doves or two young pigeons, which he can afford, one for a sin offering and the other for a burnt offering.

32 These are the regulations for anyone who has an infectious skin disease and who cannot afford the regular offerings for his cleansing

Le 27:8
If anyone making the vow is too poor to pay the specified amount, he is to present the person to the priest, who will set the value for him according to what the man making the vow can afford.

Nu 6:21
This is the law of the Nazirite who vows his offering to the Lord in accordance with his separation, in addition to whatever else he can afford. He must fulfill the vow he has made, according to the law of the Nazirite.'" Lev. 27:31
A tithe of everything from the land, whether grain from the soil or fruit from the trees, belongs to the LORD; it is holy to the LORD. If a man redeems any of his tithe, he must add a fifth of the value to it.

De 14:23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the LORD your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the LORD your God always. (There are several instructions for enjoying certain offerings... not each type, but specified ones.)

De 14:24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the LORD your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the LORD will choose to put his Name is so far away)...
De 26:12 When you have finished setting aside a tenth of all your produce in the third year, the year of the tithe, you shall give it to the Levite, the alien, the fatherless and the widow, so that they may eat in your towns and be satisfied.
Thank you so much the passages, Heron...they have put my mind at ease (I knew that there was biblical comfort about this, but I had no idea of where to find it :hug:)
I think the Lord examines the heart more than anything else and by the mere fact that you would if you could, shows that from within you have already "tithed".

Remember the lady who gave what little she had and Jesus stated she gave more than the rich person? (can't remember where the scripture is right now). In the same way even if it's tuppence, you have proportionately given more than someone who can comfortably give their 10% before tax. :hug:
That's what I was thinking, too...I suppose that every penny counts...and I know that God doesn't care about the financial side, it's just that coming from a fairly well off parish (upper working to lower middle class, I think ^_^) it seems strange to not give actual money. Also I don't want to burden people with my family's money troubles, these days, everyone has enough of their own problems without me adding mine :doh:

Thank you for all of your replies...they have all helped me more than you know :hug: (that's for all of you).

Reactions: Lotuspetal_uk
Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Have a read of this site: http://www.bible-truths.com/tithing.html

Wow, that's long and thorough. I didn't get through it all, but wanted to add something.

There were many categories of tithes and offerings, not just one ten percent. They went toward different things, but primarily as gratefulness to God and provision for those who couldn't earn an income. The tithe went TO people like you.

That doesn't exempt people from giving. It just means the flow of provision continually moved, instead of being so stuck in Ming vases and BMW's. People brought what they could give, trusting that God would provide. And part of God's provision was not magical drops from heaven, but this system He set up.

Offerings for sin were taken care of by the sacrifice of Jesus. So in a sense, taking communion is a celebration of our offering, which was given once, for all.

The tithes going to the storehouse were to prevent famine and poverty in the community. Similar to taxes going toward domestic budgets -- or donations to food cupboards, shelters, and clothing bins.

Other offerings were given for festivals -- similar to church suppers with dish-to-pass. They were remembrances of times that God delivered His people. People brought food in gratefulness for God's provision.

We have parallels in our culture, but seldom see them as tithes and offerings.

I have tithed since I had my ten cent allowance, so I sometimes neglect to think of what tithing is, or add the gratefulness aspect of it... the communication with God. So I try to add service to my giving --
pro bono work, helping out friends who need things, giving time at church or other ministries.

I don't do this because God demands more than ten percent, but because the principle behind tithing shows that supporting others keeps a community healthy, levels the social strata a bit, improves recycle-reduce-reuse practices, makes people feel supported, provides a unique and very personal form of entertainment, and is simply the way I think the world should operate.

Some people drop off soup, some visit prisons, some give business advice, some clean the church, some teach kids sunday school, some counsel distressed teens... we all contribute what we have to offer.

Upvote 0

Forealzchola

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
California
✟23,254.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
You have to be obedient to God...God calls us to give 10 percent make that your first priority before you pay your bills...it is God that has given you those jobs...this might be a test from God to see if you can be obedient with what you have in order for Him to bless you with more...or what I do is start making and IOU list ( saw this on 700) and start keeping track of everything you owe to God so if you feel like you cant give for whatever reason then say ok God I know that I was supposed to give you 20 from my 200 but_______ so im gona give you that plus next month's tithe..but what God is wanting you to really do is give your tithe PERIOD and then believe that your needs will be met and that you will have enough...go out on faith. God bless

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,748.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well . . .

It sounds like God has put it on your heart to go back to church. You should do this. Period. Sometimes doing this means dropping your pride, I've had to do that recently. I kept telling myself I'd do more than just Sunday morning when I could afford my own car, but that hasn't been happening, and God kept after me to get into some real smaller-group fellowship, and I bit the bullet and did it. So far, it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

That said, your financial business is not everyone else's business. There's a time for people in the church to help you out, but you shouldn't trust anyone and everyone. You don't have to advertise your financial status to people.

As for tithing itself, pray about how to work your way up to a tithe. Say you'll do it, and ask the Lord to show you how. Maybe you need to pray about putting a dollar in the bag - just one dollar - instead of a few pennies. Maybe it's something else. But one resource that I can personally vouch for is the Good Sense book/course/seminar. The guy who taught it at my church was a professional financial adviser. The course basically teaches people what the Bible says about money, and it offers a lot of practical suggestions to help people to get there. It talks about help with paying off debts, creative ways to reduce expenses, budgeting, and yes, how to work your way up to the full tithe. It's not a guilt trip, and your finances are not laid bare before strangers. I remember something about an offer for private financial counseling, and failing all this there is a regular book instead of just the workbook-seminar approach. Now, I just noticed you're from England, so I'll forewarn you much of the statistics are American - but that's not a problem because Americans are worse about consumer debt than anyone else in the world. You CAN benefit from this. It has helped keep me out of trouble.

Now, I personally believe everyone in certainly my country who is a Christian should tithe, 10% off of the gross. I also believe that God will bless us one way or the other if we do that in faith. And it takes faith, believe me. There have been times when I was tithing and I had to pray for God to help me meet my other expenses. But He came through, and since He is your God too, I think He will come through for you too. I believe I have seen Malachi 3:10 in action. So pray about how to get to paying the full tithe. Take the baby steps and work your way to it. It is a goal, a privilege, and it can even be a joy to give that much.

Upvote 0

Minty

S.O.P.H.I.E
Aug 6, 2007
✟19,598.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
You have to be obedient to God...God calls us to give 10 percent make that your first priority before you pay your bills...it is God that has given you those jobs...this might be a test from God to see if you can be obedient with what you have in order for Him to bless you with more...
So I am to make my family suffer so that I can tithe?

If I were to take the first 10% of my income and give in to the church me and my parents would have no money for food and household utilities!

If God is going to test me in such a cruel way (and also make my un-believing parents do the same) I don't want to have a God like that, to be honest. How is that going to look to my parents (that I am one day hoping will accept Christ) that in order to be "good" in God's sight they have to starve and freeze to death?!

That doesn't make any sense to me, sorry :scratch:

I have always got the distinct impression from God when I have prayed over matters like this, that I am to take care of my parents, as if I didn't, no-one else would (our family is not at all close).

Upvote 0

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have heard people say that we should tithe in such cases as yours, to see Him provide and to "prove ourselves obedient". My response,"What sense does that make? God provided just enough to meet my needs, and you want me to give some of it away so that I can then turn around and ask God to meet my needs? He already HAS met my needs." :doh:

The fact is, imposing the tithe would then cause you to be disobedient.

All that in addition to creating a stumbling block for your unbelieving parents? :doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
N

nhislove

This is the one issue that has stopped me going to church...tithing.

At the moment my family are going through very hard times...we have barely enough to buy food and pay our bills, and after that we have nothing (and I mean nothing, empty wallets all round).

So what can I give? :( I can't even afford a newspaper, and to give 10% of my income would mean that we lose our house. At max it would be literally pennies that I would put in the collection, and I refuse to have my financial issues spread around church...so I stopped attending.

Is this wrong?

Remember the parable about the widows mite....Jesus said she gave the most because she gave out of her poverty . Sweetheart, God understands and tithing is not all about money, it could be your time spent with a sick friend in the name of Jesus, a greeting card to cheer someone up. Any number of things. What's important is that it comes from the love of God that's in your heart.

God Bless!!

Upvote 0

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
BTW, I don't tithe 10%. Well, I might when you add it all up, as I don't just give to my church, but I don't get hung up on a number that isn't even applicable to the NT church as a command. We have some local families and ministries that we also support. And I do a lot of work for free.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,748.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So I am to make my family suffer so that I can tithe?

If I were to take the first 10% of my income and give in to the church me and my parents would have no money for food and household utilities!

If God is going to test me in such a cruel way (and also make my un-believing parents do the same) I don't want to have a God like that, to be honest. How is that going to look to my parents (that I am one day hoping will accept Christ) that in order to be "good" in God's sight they have to starve and freeze to death?!

That doesn't make any sense to me, sorry :scratch:
God's not telling you to starve your parents.

Upvote 0

Minty

S.O.P.H.I.E
Aug 6, 2007
✟19,598.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
I have heard people say that we should tithe in such cases as yours, to see Him provide and to "prove ourselves obedient". My response,"What sense does that make? God provided just enough to meet my needs, and you want me to give some of it away so that I can then turn around and ask God to meet my needs? He already HAS met my needs." :doh:

The fact is, imposing the tithe would then cause you to be disobedient.

All that in addition to creating a stumbling block for your unbelieving parents? :doh:
As usual you do make so much sense (do you think that you come over here and be my pastor...please?!?! :pray: ^_^)
Remember the parable about the widows mite....Jesus said she gave the most because she gave out of her poverty . Sweetheart, God understands and tithing is not all about money, it could be your time spent with a sick friend in the name of Jesus, a greeting card to cheer someone up. Any number of things. What's important is that it comes from the love of God that's in your heart.

God Bless!!
I fully understand...I know that God sees what is in my heart, and He knows that if I had it, I would give it freely (as I have done in the past).

I am going to go back to church and see if there is anything that I can do to help their ministry in anyway.

Thanks for the replies :hug:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,748.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I know...but if I was to give the "traditional" 10% that is what would happen.

Right, so seek the Lord about how to get there. :)

(This is for those who were just viewing the argument, not a nag at you.)

Upvote 0

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
As usual you do make so much sense (do you think that you come over here and be my pastor...please?!?! :pray: ^_^)

:hug:Thanks for asking! Sorry, but for now God has me to busy here to even think about moving...although I have no idea where He'll lead me and my family to next. (although I am hoping for someplace where I can hunt a lot :sorry: :D)

God bless
Jason

Upvote 0

Minty

S.O.P.H.I.E
Aug 6, 2007
✟19,598.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
:hug:Thanks for asking! Sorry, but for now God has me to busy here to even think about moving...although I have no idea where He'll lead me and my family to next. (although I am hoping for someplace where I can hunt a lot :sorry: :D)

God bless
Jason
You never know, He moves in mysterious ways ^_^ (you sound as if you are needed where you are, anyway :hug:).

God bless you :pray:

Upvote 0

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sis, we are all needed wherever we are. The difference is in how available we make ourselves and if we are actually paying attention to needs of those around us. You, for example, are setting a fine example with the care of your parents.

Upvote 0