Arkansas
✟8,154.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
SNIP ... Perhaps God almighty has moved Pope Francis to tell the world to back off homosexuals and women that have abortions. I don't know. ... SNIP

I'm not sure what you mean by "back off". If you mean declaring that it is approved and no longer a sin, then if Pope Francis is hearing THAT, then it is more likely that he is being 'moved' by Satan than by anything else. Now, I'm not saying that it would be Satan FOR CERTAIN, because I don't want to be guilty of blasphemy of the Holy Spirit if I would be wrong -- but thankfully he hasn't said that yet.

God is immutable (unchanging) -- at least about things of morality -- His very character never changes (i.e., He can't change from good to bad). He is capable of changing His mind about what He might plan to do, as with His concessions to Abraham regarding Sodom and Gomorrah, and He can His commandments, as with the dietary laws and the punishments decreed in the Old Testatment (e.g., stoning for adultery), which were certainly changed by God as a result of the New Covenant. But none of those changes actually speak to, nor evidence in anyway, a change of God's perspective on MORALITY. He clearly condemned homosexuality as an "abomination" -- which is a perspective which reflects God's very character, so if God is truly immutable, then whatever was "abominable" to Him in His eyes in the past MUST remain so in the future as well -- forever more. If He were to flip-flop and now say it is 'good' or 'acceptable' or 'unoffensive' to Him, then He would be a liar ... and He would now owe Sodom and Gomorrah an apology. As for abortion, God may have been less explicit in the Bible about that than sodomy ... (although I think that He at least very strongly implies that life begins at conception -- and then DEFINITELY condemns killing) ... but since the Catholic church has, to my knowledge, always condemned it in its oral teachings and traditions (the Magisterium of the church), I would consider that teaching to be likewise 'cut in stone' -- so if the church flip-flops on it now, I would only be able to conclude that the church had either been lying or patently-unreliable in all that it said and taught in the previous 19 centuries.

Being willing to accept and blindly-trust such a blatant apostasy from the mouth of the Pope would be nothing less than a sign of the sort of 'liberation' theology which is currently destroying the church. Jesus warned that false teachers would would mislead, if that were possible, even the 'elect'. I believe that compels us to seriously examine any new teachings in these end times, even if they come from previously trusted sources.

Your brother in Christ,

Bill Velek

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
we would say that He never changes His mind on anything. to change His mind God would actually have to weigh and consider differing options, and you only do that when you are unsure of the outcome. I think this is one of Rome's key problems, the idea that doctrine can develop after Pentecost, or the idea of progressive revelation.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yep, they call it "development doctrine," and it's really how John Henry Newman was able to rationalize his conversion from Tractarian High Church Anglican to Roman Catholic. That guy had to rationalize PLENTY to make that leap!
we would say that He never changes His mind on anything. to change His mind God would actually have to weigh and

consider differing options, and you only do that when you are unsure of the outcome. I think this is one of Rome's key problems, the idea that doctrine can develop after Pentecost, or the idea of progressive revelation.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yep, they call it "development doctrine," and it's really how John Henry Newman was able to rationalize his conversion from Tractarian High Church Anglican to Roman Catholic. That guy had to rationalize PLENTY to make that leap!

it's also how one can have glaring contradictions as well. one just has to say that the more modern view is the more developed view....unless we are talking about indulgences.....

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Silent, quiet, still, patient and conservative, never fighting, never changing, never having troubles, just... THERE!!
I think that's a bit naive, unrealistic.

Upvote 0

Wryetui

IC XC NIKA
Dec 15, 2014
The Carpathian Garden
✟15,670.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I do not think Pope Francis came to change for good the morality concerning sexual stuff. The Bible says clearly that those things are punished, 3 times in the Bible it is written, so the Holy Spirit can't work against the Bible and God did not change His mind, it would be a contradition, and if even God contradicts Himself then who can we trust? It's not true.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I really enjoyed the thread and article: "Forty Excuses For Not Joining The Orthodox Church". I've been slowly studying material on many different websites, but I'm still a bit confused between the Oriental Orthodox and the Eastern Orthodox, as well as which Orthodox Churches are in communion with the Vatican, and which ones are not. But in any event, I'm definitely going to stick with one of the Apostolic churches.

May the peace of the Lord be with you all.

Your brother in Christ,

Bill Velek
If I may say..

For some resources that may help you with understanding how Oriental Orthodox feel on the issue, one may consider the following:

These links relate to agreements between the Oriental Orthodox Churches and the Eastern Orthodox Churches. And some of this has been discussed before when it comes to seeing why there has been confusion between what Orientals believe and what EOs believe - with it being the case that OOs never believed that Christ had TWO natures since they saw the Lord as having ONE united person and two distinct aspects of who he was (Divine/Human), with that being seen as "two natures"...and the goal of this was to resist going into Nestorianism, as the OOs did not believe that Christ could have his person separated even though the dual aspects of his Person had differing abilities relevant to both.

Additionally, as it concerns unity, there has actually been much unification - both on the grass-roots level and in regards to unifications among the Bishops and Patriarchs. What happens, of course, is that you often do not hear it reported on and thus others act as if things haven't been developed. Some of this has been discussed elsewhere - as seen here, for reference:

Pictures from the Historic Armenian Liturgy held at the Akdamar Church - News | Orthodoxy Cognate PAGE

Historic Armenian Liturgy held at the Akdamar Church unites Eastern and Oriental Orthodox Christians: Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew Participates for the first time together with Syriac and Armenian Orthodox Prelates - News | Orthodoxy Cognate PAGE

Turkey: Pictures from the fifth annual Armenian Orthodox Liturgy was held at the historic at the Cathedral of Holy Cross located on the Akdamar Island on 7th September 2014. This year it was a very special and historic due the presence of His All Holiness Bartholomew I- Ecumenical Patriarch and His Eminence Mor Filiksinos Yusuf Çetin – Patriarchal Vicar of the Syriac Orthodox Church of Istanbul and Ankara.
Gxg (G²);66353824 said:
Wow - that is truly amazing and many thanks for sharing that, as I was not aware of such an event occurring. It is truly amazing to see the history come to life as others remember what occurred before them....

SetWidth630-Holy-Cross-Akhtamar-Island.jpg
The issue of the Monophysites is that they said that Christ had a single divine nature, but no human nature.

The Oriental Orthodox believe that Christ has a single divine-human nature, like a hybrid (Miaphysitism).

Naturally in the translating of theology there was a bit of a mix up. We believed they were Monophysites, they believed we were Nestorians all because of some translation issues. In fact that Council of Chalcedon actually said that Miaphysitism was considered okay, but again, translations and politics.
Gxg (G²);66440788 said:
I'm thankful for the ways conversation has allowed for there to be understandings in where language played huge roles and ideas got lost in translation. And even as it concerns unification, on the ground level, it has already happened essentially without it being official on the large scale of things (more shared in #10 and #43 /#223 /#224 #225 #233 /#241 ).

On one of the best places to go on the issue where documentation has already taken place for sometime:

I'm thankful for the work of unification being documented in-depth so that others can be encouraged - as seen in Ecclesiology and the Dialogues Between Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox Churches « Orthodox Unity (Orthodox Joint Commission). Outside of that, continuity in tradition is a very complicated issue since other Oriental Orthodox have long noted that the term "monophysite" (often used by those supporting Chalcedon) is something that doesn't really reflect what they've always believed, as Ethopian Orthodox would prefer to be called tewahido (made one) - although even they have had issues of communication with other members of the OO world (as is the case with the Eritrean Church, the youngest member of the OO world). But indeed, Ethiopian Orthodox reject Eutyches, who is believed to have taught that in Christ the human Nature was absorbed by the divine Nature....but Dioscorus, whom the Council of Chalcedon deposed, is accepted (as the Council of 451 did not believe that Dioscorus was a heretic at that point and Dioscorus did not deny the continuance of Godhead and manhood in the One Christ after their union ) - for the Ethiopian Orthodox, Tewahido" is the Ethiopian term (meaning "made one") which is the best expression conveying the faith of the Church, since it emphasizes the inseparable unity of the Godhead and manhood in the Person of Christ.

And that's just one camp within the world of the OO. At the bottom line, in their mindset, misunderstandings occurred more so over not understanding what another meant and then carrying that misunderstanding further over the years. Yet even in the disagreements, there was still much fruit.
Gxg (G²);66170711 said:
I can relate to others coming from a mixed background, especially those who have Orthodox and Catholics in the family. One of the people I GREATLY respect/identify with is Jewish - her husband being Byzantine Catholic while she herself is Russian Orthodox (and I have other family with similar dynamics occurring), so I think discussion is important in order to know how to live with each other.

As it concerns the issue of union, there's NO openness for Oriental Orthodox to work with Rome if claiming that Rome is superior - in the same way that it was the case for those in EO. The main focus for OO is union with the EO before Roman Catholicism and that needs to be kept in mind since it's the same dynamics/similar here as it'd be in the EO forum if trying to either push or demand that OOs have to submit to Rome when that was never the case historically or scripturally. There have been several threads here on the matter that show the history of discussion on the matter as other OOs have noted it when it comes to Roman Catholicism - and for basic review:

As it concerns dialogue, of course it can occur. St. Isaac of Syria lived in an era when there was still (though limited) intercommunion between the Churches. And we still value some of the teachings of people like Evagrius of Pontus who is not a Saint, and fell into error (Origen as well, actually) - as what is valuable is valuable. For good review, one can consider here in Sectarianism in Orthodoxy and Orthodoxy in Sectarianism - Eclectic Orthodoxy or the following:

Professor Richard Schneider on Orthodox Interchurch Dialogue (Critical Look at Challenges) - YouTube
Cool..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm still a bit confused between the Oriental Orthodox and the Eastern Orthodox, as well as which Orthodox Churches are in communion with the Vatican, and which ones are not.
I'm in the process of trying to learn as much as possible about the differences between Orthodoxy and the Roman Catholic Church, including histories.
I've shared this before - but with regards to Orthodox Communion with Rome, the the people who do so are known as Eastern Catholics and they do stand out for several reasons. Sometimes, what can help (if you're a visual person) is having a picture of how things slowly evolved. There are some good charts that can help with that (if interested), one of them showing the different districts and where things branched out from each.

fig6.gif

Explaining the above, there are five original Patriarchs out of Jeruslam: Carthage, Rome, Antioch, Edessa, and Alexandria - all of which were established by the Apostles. There later came two others: Moscow - because it was evangelized over a thousand years ago by Sts. Cyril and Methodious. ..and the Malakarese and Malabarese, which are from St. Thomas the Apostle (and those are in the India region ). With this in mind, what is noted is that there are seven Patriarcates. And we can see this, in example, with the Melkite Greek Byzantine Catholic Church - a branch which is in Communion with Rome. It was case, during the separation of the Eastern Churches, that it never left Rome - but the Melkites have a sort of Communion with the Antiochean Greek Orthodox, which is considered a Bridge Church in many ways.

There are a lot of big difficulties for those who are Eastern Catholics..

As another EO noted elsewhere, "So much of Eastern Catholicism is IN Orthodoxy - you cannot study Eastern Catholicism in isolation." ....and on the issue, as another noted best:

Melkites certainly know the precarious situation they occupy in the great scheme of Apostolic Christianity, and I do not think my brother Neil needs a reminder of that from anyone. Nevertheless, it does not follow that Melkites are more akin to the west than the east (wishful thinking perhaps?), your argument would have to be a lot more cogent and logical to establish that.

First, though there may be individual Orthodox who personally do not believe Melkites have a valid priesthood, it is not their place to judge these matters. In fact that is not the official stance of the church. Orthodox certainly see all Catholics as Christians, regardless of the fact that many are not in communion with us. The church is not in the business of pronouncing judgment upon other Christian bodies nor their sacraments, and neither expects nor seeks decrees of validation upon itself from outside.

Holy Orthodoxy routinely accords Roman Catholic hierachs respect, and neither endorses Roman Catholic orders nor condemns Roman Catholic orders. They are outside of the church, and are of no use to Orthodox.

Although it is not a formal practice, it is known that Melkite Catholics in Syria very often are communed in Melkite Orthodox churches as a matter of economia. I don't know if Syrian Latin-rite Catholics are accorded this same privilige. The special conditions there, as Christian minorities of a common sort, make it necessary. Many families, even whole towns, are mixed and often only one temple is allowed to be erected in a community. I know of at least one case of a temple being built specifically for use by both the Melkite Catholics and the Melkite (Antiochian) Orthodox, for separate liturgies and altars.

Because of it's more extensive network of parishes in North America, many Melkite Catholic immigrants from Syria and Lebanon worship in Antiochian Orthodox parishes, raising their children as Orthodox.

The reason, actually the only significant reason, Melkites are not in formal Communion and concelebration with Holy Orthodoxy is because the Melkites are in Communion with Rome. The issues in play are the errors Rome teaches, and RC attempts to assert those errors upon others. By sharing communion with the bishop of Rome and other bishops under Rome who teach these errors (out of charity no doubt, in the sense of love), the Melkite Catholics are formally cut off from the larger communion of Holy Orthodoxy.

I view this as a terrible sacrifice on their part.

In their efforts to keep the pipeline between east and west open for Rome the Melkites pay a very high price indeed, and I believe they know it. I do not think that fact is appreciated enough by most Latin Catholics nor latinized Eastern Catholics. To put it mildly it is a thankless position for them to be in.

That said, I do think it really is unfortunate whenever people think that Eastern Catholics all universally serve Rome - for as it has never been just Roman Catholicism with Byzantine Liturgy and plenty of Eastern Catholics (as well as Eastern Orthodox) have noted that stereotype before when it comes to what actually goes down (more shared before here and here). Others have often had the issue come close to home when it comes to having family in differing traditions - I've had friends and family who had the same experience. I myself grew up with it (as mentioned before)

Something to keep in mind is that Intercommunion agreements can sometimes be worked out between bodies with valid sacraments, even though the bodies are not united. What's interesting to consider is that Melkite Greek Catholics and The Antiochian Orthodox are very close in differing places places and there are indeed many places where Melkites and Antiochians receive communion in each others churches. Historically, it has been the case that the Antiochians and Melkites built a church together, with both Patriarchs blessing and dedicating the Church together in a country with many Melkites and Antiochians - this not being a necessity, but an activity of unification...and to be more specific, in the 1990s, the Antiochian Orthodox and Melkite Greek Catholics built a church, St. Paul’s, that they share in Doumar, a suburb of Damascus. More on the issue can be seen in The Melkite Initiative with the Antiochian Orthodox Church - as well as A CALL FOR UNITY – THE MELKITE SYNOD

For those who are Eastern Catholics/Byzantine Catholics , with those specific camps, there are some significant differences that many may not be aware of in all cases....as many Eastern Catholic rites are more similar to what occurs within Eastern Orthodoxy or Oriental Orthodoxy. It's often forgotten that many Eastern Catholics do not accept the Filioque, Purgatory, Transubtantion, etc - with this leading to them being deemed "herectics" by Roman Catholics and yet also accused of supporting those things by EO who do not know fully some of the backgrounds.

For those who are Jewish, interesingly enough, EC is something that has held a lot of appeal when it comes to reflecting their culture. There was a discussion on the issue elsewhere that had many great insights--entitled Can a Hebrew Catholic be comfortable in a Melkite Church? . As another noted there, the Syriac and the Chaldean/Assyrian Churches are likely the most "Semitic" traditions for a number of reasons, with their Liturgies handed down from the time when they really were Hebrew Catholics...specifically, Temple Jewish Catholics. And for other places that've given some EXCELLENT discussion on the issue:

Within the Holy Land, ECs and EOs are often having to work together on many issues when it comes to showing how to live as a citizen within the land, supporting one's country and yet promoting justice at the same time.

Elias Chacour - Archbishop of the Melkite Catholic Church - always come to mind as being excellent examples of what it means to do so.

Elias Chacour - A Palestinian Christian Working for Peace in Israel - YouTube
Q Ideas | Elias Chacour | Standing On the Wall - YouTube

And for other examples, others coming to mind are people like Joseph Raya, one extensively involved in the American civil rights movement, and later, while serving as Archbishop of Akko, Haifa, Nazareth and all Galilee while doing extensive work with Dr. Martin Luther King (as both a co-laborer and dear friend) and other rabbis working for desegration/fair treatment toward both Jews and Blacks. Being a very controversial/radical figure in the church....helping to organize marches/often suffering alongside other blacks, he was twice beaten badly by the Ku Klux Klan....but later sought to emulate Dr.King's example with the marches over in Palestine. For a Video clip of Archbishop Raya leading a peaceful protest, 1972-08-14. He has been referenced a lot by others within Eastern Orthodoxy before - more noted in The Road to Emmaus Runs Through Harlem

JosephRaya.jpg

Hope that helps in one way or another. Blessings :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It should be noted that 2 Eastern Catholic Churches never left communion with Rome, the Maronites who got horribly latinized and the Italian Byzantine Church which was latinized to an extent but then returned fully to Byzantine traditions over the past Century.
True enough...

Upvote 0

billvelek

Sep 16, 2014
Arkansas
✟8,154.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A sincere Thank You to all those who replied to my comments and questions even though I was not the Original Poster, and a special thanks to Gxg (G²) for the volumes of information which will keep me occupied for awhile.

May God Bless all of you.

Your brother in Christ,

Bill Velek

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums